Matt or Blake

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
rAggie

Re: Matt or Blake

Post by rAggie » October 25th, 2021, 1:23 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:19 pm
Speaking of all this, where did Yost end up after Texas Tech?
Enjoying a sauna somewhere

Showing my True Colors since 2022

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 25th, 2021, 1:43 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm
aggiesdidwhat wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:52 pm
First, forgive me. I didn't read all the comments. There are really good, knowledgeable Aggies on here. I'm not one of them.

This question is a no Brainer IMHO.

Blake far better then Wells.

Wells was left with a pretty dang good group of players, yeah he had some amazing wins for us. No Doubt. But I was never that impressed. His best season, was because a different OC was forced on him. I got the chance to live and know the Yost's well. There was a lot going on behind the scenes. Even being told to hand over play calling, it didn't happen.

Blake was left an absolutely toxic dumpster fire. Look what he had done in year 1? Unreal to me.

But again. I don't know much. Just love the Ags! And I stopped putting much energy into coaches after GA1 :)
Youseguys remember Wells was here for 6 YEARS right? The whole “he inherited Gary’s guys” argument is pure tripe.

Now, the argument that Gary inherited some NFL guys recruited by Brent Guy… That one actually has some merit.
What kind of program did Gary inherit from Brent Guy and what kind of program did Matt inherit from Gary? Which would be easier to build on do you think?
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
3rdGenAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:19 pm
Speaking of all this, where did Yost end up after Texas Tech?
It doesn't look like he is coaching currently.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » October 25th, 2021, 3:29 pm

I'd take Yost in a heartbeat if we lose our OC.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
BLUERUFiO

#hornsup!

apo

Post by apo » October 25th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 3:29 pm
I'd take Yost in a heartbeat if we lose our OC.
He’s too slow. He couldn’t keep up with our “lightning fast” offense

:sarcasm:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 25th, 2021, 9:50 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:43 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggiesdidwhat wrote:
First, forgive me. I didn't read all the comments. There are really good, knowledgeable Aggies on here. I'm not one of them.

Wells was left with a pretty dang good group of players, yeah he had some amazing wins for us. No Doubt. But I was never that impressed. His best season, was because a different OC was forced on him. I got the chance to live and know the Yost's well. There was a lot going on behind the scenes. Even being told to hand over play calling, it didn't happen.

Blake was left an absolutely toxic dumpster fire. Look what he had done in year 1? Unreal to me.

But again. I don't know much. Just love the Ags! And I stopped putting much energy into coaches after GA1 :)
Youseguys remember Wells was here for 6 YEARS right? The whole “he inherited Gary’s guys” argument is pure tripe.

Now, the argument that Gary inherited some NFL guys recruited by Brent Guy… That one actually has some merit.
What kind of program did Gary inherit from Brent Guy and what kind of program did Matt inherit from Gary? Which would be easier to build on do you think?
Look, I just get kinda sick of people (I can't express myself without swearing) on Wells around here. I appreciate what Gary did the first time around too.

When you consider Gary took a team with a first ballot hall-of-famer at LB and THREE NFL running backs to a 7-6 record against a WAC schedule, it’s really not as impressive in hindsight as it was in real-time. Just admit it. Gary underachieved relative to the talent of the team in 2011 and had one good year in 2012 (coincidentally, the years Wells was OC). Wells gave us 5 years of bowls and two 10+ win seasons.

Wells did more for USU over an extended period of time, and it isn’t a particularly close or fairly debatable question in my mind. People thinking Gary did more for USU is really just sentiment.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 25th, 2021, 10:31 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
2004AG wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:43 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggiesdidwhat wrote:

Look, I just get kinda sick of people (I can't express myself without swearing) on Wells around here. I appreciate what Gary did the first time around too.

When you consider Gary took a team with a first ballot hall-of-famer at LB and THREE NFL running backs to a 7-6 record against a WAC schedule, it’s really not as impressive in hindsight as it was in real-time. Just admit it. Gary underachieved relative to the talent of the team in 2011 and had one good year in 2012 (coincidentally, the years Wells was OC). Wells gave us 5 years of bowls and two 10+ win seasons.

Wells did more for USU over an extended period of time, and it isn’t a particularly close or fairly debatable question in my mind. People thinking Gary did more for USU is really just sentiment.
I 100% disagree. Gary took over a program that couldn’t score an offensive touchdown in six games and turned them into a top 25 team and was a chip shot field goal away from winning at Wisconsin. Brent Guy did squat (I can't express myself without swearing) with that same first ballot hall of famer.

Matt Wells was great. I’m a fan. I’m not taking anything away from him. They both inherited COMPLETELY different programs. But I get kinda sick of people (I can't express myself without swearing) on Gary 1.0 around here. In order to piss in Gary and what he did you have to completely ignore the previous 30 years of how bad the program was. Could Matt have resurrected the program after Brent Guy and how sad and depressing it was? We will never know. But we do know Gary could and did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 3):
PIGSKINAGGIEBustaMcNuttgomretat

stwinward

Post by stwinward » October 26th, 2021, 7:10 am

I recall during the last Brent Guy year thinking that the team was close to winning more. I may get blasted for this, but I think BG would have gone 4-8 just like Gary 1.0 did that year. I felt he was trending up, but slowly. I supported the coaching change, but I did feel like he left the pieces there for the next coach.

I think what Gary 1.0 did was take those pieces and slowly taught them how to win. Hawaii 2011 was the obvious turning point when the team realized that they could fight and win, and we know how it has gone from there.

MW should get credit for both sustaining that culture, and some blame for a 3-9 debacle in the middle of it all. And then some credit again for turning it back around.

We all know Gary 2.0 was a mistake, despite some thinking he would be our football Stew.

I'm super pleased with BA so far. He obviously has the team believing they can win. That mentality is huge and is the difference in our program being 5-2 vs 2-5 or 1-6 like it would have been with our pre Hawaii 2011 mentality. I feel like so much of our success the past decade (and the couple failure years) all happens between the ears first and foremost.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 26th, 2021, 8:15 am

Just look at the scores from Brent Guy's last season. They were far from competitive with most of that schedule. We were completely blasted by good teams and beat the bad teams. Gary's first year shows a significant difference. We were much more competitive with Utah and Texas A&M. The fitness and strength of the team was much better, but the coaching was lacking.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 26th, 2021, 8:54 am

One thing I'll always give to Gary 1.0 is that the kids knew he cared about them then.

And importantly, he taught the program how to win. That was a huge step, and not an easy one to take. That 7-6 year was full of close losses (5 1-score, I think?) That run they went on (Hawaii and after) was all about them believing they could win.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
Hoot

Locked Previous topicNext topic