KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
trevordude
Posts: 763
Joined: August 25th, 2012, 10:38 am
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 32 times

KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by trevordude » October 23rd, 2021, 11:02 am

Watching Texas Tech and Kansas St right now. They run Colombi on the majority of plays, but put in their Freshman QB who is great at running. They rotate the running QB in just for a single play, especially in the Red Zone, then put in Colombi again. The running QB probably gets 2-3 snaps each series.

I really wish we'd do the same with Peasley, but maybe our O Line isn't good enough for a QB keeper run play.
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
AGinNEIowa


Not sent from Tapatalk

User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1777
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by Sl7vk » October 23rd, 2021, 1:16 pm

And Wells loses yet another close one.



Elkaggie
Posts: 4469
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by Elkaggie » October 23rd, 2021, 1:22 pm

After being up 24-10 at half.



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2963
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 411 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by AgMac » October 24th, 2021, 7:57 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 1:16 pm
And Wells loses yet another close one.
At one point, the commentators questioned whether switching back and forth had gotten Columbi out of rhythm. I noticed on Twitter that Columbi's dad said "the commentators are right." I wondered if it was about that comment.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Sl7vk



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12520
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8899 times
Been thanked: 6133 times
Contact:

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 6:22 am

AgMac wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 7:57 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 1:16 pm
And Wells loses yet another close one.
At one point, the commentators questioned whether switching back and forth had gotten Columbi out of rhythm. I noticed on Twitter that Columbi's dad said "the commentators are right." I wondered if it was about that comment.
It was.



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13187
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 25th, 2021, 7:45 am

Some coaches out-think themselves. Bringing in the running QB for a specific situation tells the defense that you are going to run the ball and they don't need to be concerned much with the pass.



BlueUSU1
Posts: 6
Joined: October 19th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by BlueUSU1 » October 25th, 2021, 8:33 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:45 am
Some coaches out-think themselves. Bringing in the running QB for a specific situation tells the defense that you are going to run the ball and they don't need to be concerned much with the pass.
True, but sometimes it works the other way. Bringing the running QB in and then throwing a pass can fake out the defense too. I think this is the reason the reverse pass we ran against CSU worked so well (until we got called for illegal formation lol). The defense was keyed in on Peasley running it, which let John Gentry kinda sneak around into the back of the end zone and be wide open.
These users thanked the author BlueUSU1 for the post:
FloridaAggie13



hickaggie
Posts: 3473
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 374 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by hickaggie » October 25th, 2021, 9:04 am

BlueUSU1 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 8:33 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:45 am
Some coaches out-think themselves. Bringing in the running QB for a specific situation tells the defense that you are going to run the ball and they don't need to be concerned much with the pass.
True, but sometimes it works the other way. Bringing the running QB in and then throwing a pass can fake out the defense too. I think this is the reason the reverse pass we ran against CSU worked so well (until we got called for illegal formation lol). The defense was keyed in on Peasley running it, which let John Gentry kinda sneak around into the back of the end zone and be wide open.
They are 2 completely different situations. When Colombi subbed for Love he looked very comfortable in the read option and while not a runner is a gazelle compared to Bonner. Bonner doesn't even try to put the ball in the stomach of the RB anymore when its a TRO or playaction (hard to tell the difference some times with the way its run), and is ignored on the read run whether he rides it in the belly correctly or not.

Bringing in Peasley has to change the dynamic of that defense because immediately either the end has to stay outside or the D has to assign a LB or DB a run first QB read. I would sure like to see it when we hit the 25 yard line but I've been waiting for someone to step up and take the QB spot and it hasn't happened and somehow the Aggies are 5-2. :noidea:
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13187
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 25th, 2021, 9:35 am

BlueUSU1 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 8:33 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:45 am
Some coaches out-think themselves. Bringing in the running QB for a specific situation tells the defense that you are going to run the ball and they don't need to be concerned much with the pass.
True, but sometimes it works the other way. Bringing the running QB in and then throwing a pass can fake out the defense too. I think this is the reason the reverse pass we ran against CSU worked so well (until we got called for illegal formation lol). The defense was keyed in on Peasley running it, which let John Gentry kinda sneak around into the back of the end zone and be wide open.
I agree, but far more often they bring in the running QB in a specific situation with the intent to run it. They don't bring in the running QB at the 15 yard line if it is 3rd and 8. They bring him in at the 15 yard line when it is 3rd and 2. It becomes very predictable, just like in the WSU game where they brought in the running QB inside the five yard line and we stuffed them pretty easily because we knew it would be a run.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12520
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8899 times
Been thanked: 6133 times
Contact:

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 10:26 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 9:04 am
BlueUSU1 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 8:33 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:45 am
Some coaches out-think themselves. Bringing in the running QB for a specific situation tells the defense that you are going to run the ball and they don't need to be concerned much with the pass.
True, but sometimes it works the other way. Bringing the running QB in and then throwing a pass can fake out the defense too. I think this is the reason the reverse pass we ran against CSU worked so well (until we got called for illegal formation lol). The defense was keyed in on Peasley running it, which let John Gentry kinda sneak around into the back of the end zone and be wide open.
They are 2 completely different situations. When Colombi subbed for Love he looked very comfortable in the read option and while not a runner is a gazelle compared to Bonner. Bonner doesn't even try to put the ball in the stomach of the RB anymore when its a TRO or playaction (hard to tell the difference some times with the way its run), and is ignored on the read run whether he rides it in the belly correctly or not.

Bringing in Peasley has to change the dynamic of that defense because immediately either the end has to stay outside or the D has to assign a LB or DB a run first QB read. I would sure like to see it when we hit the 25 yard line but I've been waiting for someone to step up and take the QB spot and it hasn't happened and somehow the Aggies are 5-2. :noidea:
If we had cashed in touchdowns instead of field goals, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
trevordude



hickaggie
Posts: 3473
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 374 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by hickaggie » October 25th, 2021, 12:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 10:26 am
hickaggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 9:04 am
BlueUSU1 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 8:33 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:45 am
Some coaches out-think themselves. Bringing in the running QB for a specific situation tells the defense that you are going to run the ball and they don't need to be concerned much with the pass.
True, but sometimes it works the other way. Bringing the running QB in and then throwing a pass can fake out the defense too. I think this is the reason the reverse pass we ran against CSU worked so well (until we got called for illegal formation lol). The defense was keyed in on Peasley running it, which let John Gentry kinda sneak around into the back of the end zone and be wide open.
They are 2 completely different situations. When Colombi subbed for Love he looked very comfortable in the read option and while not a runner is a gazelle compared to Bonner. Bonner doesn't even try to put the ball in the stomach of the RB anymore when its a TRO or playaction (hard to tell the difference some times with the way its run), and is ignored on the read run whether he rides it in the belly correctly or not.

Bringing in Peasley has to change the dynamic of that defense because immediately either the end has to stay outside or the D has to assign a LB or DB a run first QB read. I would sure like to see it when we hit the 25 yard line but I've been waiting for someone to step up and take the QB spot and it hasn't happened and somehow the Aggies are 5-2. :noidea:
If we had cashed in touchdowns instead of field goals, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.
That is true but we its not like its close calls down there. I think only one of the field the last 2 weeks has been less than 37 yards. And Bonner's red zone Int was unbelievable. He literally assumed the RB would be wide open and floated a lob without looking.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12520
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8899 times
Been thanked: 6133 times
Contact:

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 12:45 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 10:26 am
hickaggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 9:04 am
BlueUSU1 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 8:33 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 7:45 am
Some coaches out-think themselves. Bringing in the running QB for a specific situation tells the defense that you are going to run the ball and they don't need to be concerned much with the pass.
True, but sometimes it works the other way. Bringing the running QB in and then throwing a pass can fake out the defense too. I think this is the reason the reverse pass we ran against CSU worked so well (until we got called for illegal formation lol). The defense was keyed in on Peasley running it, which let John Gentry kinda sneak around into the back of the end zone and be wide open.
They are 2 completely different situations. When Colombi subbed for Love he looked very comfortable in the read option and while not a runner is a gazelle compared to Bonner. Bonner doesn't even try to put the ball in the stomach of the RB anymore when its a TRO or playaction (hard to tell the difference some times with the way its run), and is ignored on the read run whether he rides it in the belly correctly or not.

Bringing in Peasley has to change the dynamic of that defense because immediately either the end has to stay outside or the D has to assign a LB or DB a run first QB read. I would sure like to see it when we hit the 25 yard line but I've been waiting for someone to step up and take the QB spot and it hasn't happened and somehow the Aggies are 5-2. :noidea:
If we had cashed in touchdowns instead of field goals, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.
That is true but we its not like its close calls down there. I think only one of the field the last 2 weeks has been less than 37 yards. And Bonner's red zone Int was unbelievable. He literally assumed the RB would be wide open and floated a lob without looking.
True story on the lob bro!



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 18857
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 1046 times
Been thanked: 1218 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2021, 1:10 pm

That red zone int was absolutely atrocious. Bonner didn't read anything. He just went with Option #1 without even looking.



Coloraggie
Posts: 1753
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:09 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by Coloraggie » October 26th, 2021, 11:43 pm

What if we put in both Bonner and Peasley. Couldn't Peasley come in and then go to a RB spot or WR? He could be formidable in an option or jet sweep. Tell me Peasley goes in motion and gets the jet sweep, does the D play the run or fear for the pass? You could shift the formation and line Bonner up outside and they would still have to put a defender on him. I'm not advocating for that a lot but it would be cool to see sometime. I think if we could get a few yards on 1st down then Peasley 2nd and 5 or 6 would be very intriguing.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 3):
BlueUSU13rdGenAggieosuaggie



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12520
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8899 times
Been thanked: 6133 times
Contact:

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by aggies22 » October 27th, 2021, 7:45 am

Coloraggie wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 11:43 pm
What if we put in both Bonner and Peasley. Couldn't Peasley come in and then go to a RB spot or WR? He could be formidable in an option or jet sweep. Tell me Peasley goes in motion and gets the jet sweep, does the D play the run or fear for the pass? You could shift the formation and line Bonner up outside and they would still have to put a defender on him. I'm not advocating for that a lot but it would be cool to see sometime. I think if we could get a few yards on 1st down then Peasley 2nd and 5 or 6 would be very intriguing.
It's an interesting trick play idea.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
3rdGenAggie



hickaggie
Posts: 3473
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 374 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by hickaggie » October 27th, 2021, 9:22 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 7:45 am
Coloraggie wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 11:43 pm
What if we put in both Bonner and Peasley. Couldn't Peasley come in and then go to a RB spot or WR? He could be formidable in an option or jet sweep. Tell me Peasley goes in motion and gets the jet sweep, does the D play the run or fear for the pass? You could shift the formation and line Bonner up outside and they would still have to put a defender on him. I'm not advocating for that a lot but it would be cool to see sometime. I think if we could get a few yards on 1st down then Peasley 2nd and 5 or 6 would be very intriguing.
It's an interesting trick play idea.
It is disappointing that Peasley has not been used situationally in these types of roles. The extra QB, even as a pure decoy can help freeze defenders and keep them honest. I am very hesitant to criticize our OC's overall performance given the blocking issues that are limiting the scheme, but not getting athletes on the field such as Nathan and Peasley to try to change the red zone dynamic is frustrating.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12520
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8899 times
Been thanked: 6133 times
Contact:

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by aggies22 » October 27th, 2021, 9:33 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 9:22 am
aggies22 wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 7:45 am
Coloraggie wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 11:43 pm
What if we put in both Bonner and Peasley. Couldn't Peasley come in and then go to a RB spot or WR? He could be formidable in an option or jet sweep. Tell me Peasley goes in motion and gets the jet sweep, does the D play the run or fear for the pass? You could shift the formation and line Bonner up outside and they would still have to put a defender on him. I'm not advocating for that a lot but it would be cool to see sometime. I think if we could get a few yards on 1st down then Peasley 2nd and 5 or 6 would be very intriguing.
It's an interesting trick play idea.
It is disappointing that Peasley has not been used situationally in these types of roles. The extra QB, even as a pure decoy can help freeze defenders and keep them honest. I am very hesitant to criticize our OC's overall performance given the blocking issues that are limiting the scheme, but not getting athletes on the field such as Nathan and Peasley to try to change the red zone dynamic is frustrating.
I'm chalking some of these issues up to lack of experience. The offensive and defensive coordinators are first year play callers and honestly, you can practice for certain situations all you want BUT you never know how kids are truly going to respond until they are thrown into the fire.

What is encouraging to me is it would appear that Coach Banda does very well at making adjustments at halftime and Coach Tucker seems to be expanding his playbook a bit each week with a few new wrinkles here and there.

For everyone kind of learning on the fly sitting at 5-2 is pretty damn sweet.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
trevordude



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 18857
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 1046 times
Been thanked: 1218 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by NVAggie » October 27th, 2021, 9:38 am

Back to the topic, I guess Matt Wells won't be using 2 QBs anymore.



stwinward
Posts: 532
Joined: August 31st, 2013, 9:35 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by stwinward » October 27th, 2021, 12:30 pm

NVAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 9:38 am
Back to the topic, I guess Matt Wells won't be using 2 QBs anymore.
I've been waiting for that comment.



Aggiefan160
Posts: 570
Joined: December 12th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: KAR, how Matt Wells is using 2 QB's

Post by Aggiefan160 » October 27th, 2021, 1:05 pm

stwinward wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 12:30 pm
NVAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 9:38 am
Back to the topic, I guess Matt Wells won't be using 2 QBs anymore.
I've been waiting for that comment.
Me too. I was wondering it this topic is now a cautionary tale, or an example of how it is supposed to work.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic