Sun Belt & CUSA exploring expansion

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie702

Sun Belt & CUSA exploring expansion

Post by Aggie702 » October 20th, 2021, 1:07 pm

Can I just again say how happy I am that the MWC appears to be getting out of this round of expansion intact and unscathed (after a brief scare with AFA/CSU)?

I know it's not perfect, but considering where we were 20 years ago (or even 10 years ago) we are in a great spot given our location and resources and I hope MWC is able to remain intact for many more years.

ViAggie

Re: Sun Belt & CUSA exploring expansion

Post by ViAggie » October 20th, 2021, 1:12 pm

CUSA should and probably will take NMSU, it only makes sense. UTEP should not try and block them.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0AngusAg

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bull

Post by bull » October 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 1:07 pm

Can I just again say how happy I am that the MWC appears to be getting out of this round of expansion intact and unscathed (after a brief scare with AFA/CSU)?

I know it's not perfect, but considering where we were 20 years ago (or even 10 years ago) we are in a great spot given our location and resources and I hope MWC is able to remain intact for many more years.

I agree we are in a good spot, I also agree with others who suggested we pick the remaining top off the AAC to solidify our position as top G5 (assuming it doesn’t become the G6)

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 20th, 2021, 3:29 pm

bull wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Aggie702 wrote:

I agree we are in a good spot, I also agree with others who suggested we pick the remaining top off the AAC to solidify our position as top G5 (assuming it doesn’t become the G6)
I wonder if part of the reasoning for the aac going to 14 is the possibility of losing a couple more schools and not having to invite more.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 20th, 2021, 3:34 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 3:29 pm
bull wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Aggie702 wrote:

I wonder if part of the reasoning for the aac going to 14 is the possibility of losing a couple more schools and not having to invite more.
I think they assume SMU and Memphis are eventually going to the B12 based on comments they have made to that effect (likely to rattle Aresco’s chain for thinking the AAC was going to raid the B12).

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 20th, 2021, 3:48 pm

There is hardly anyone left in C-USA now. If the SBC takes those 4, this league will be down to this. (It is amazing the Sun Belt is now raiding C-USA after C-USA did it to them just a few years ago.)

Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, UTEP and Western Kentucky.

That is only 5 schools left.

Outside of the WAC, no other conference has been hit as hard by conference realignment. In 2002 this was their membership. It was also a premier basketball league.

UAB, Southern Miss, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Depaul, East Carolina, Houston, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, St. Louis, South Florida, Tulane, and Tulsa.

Many of those teams are in P5 leagues, there are final fours and other New Year's day bowls among them.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 20th, 2021, 3:57 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 3:48 pm
There is hardly anyone left in C-USA now. If the SBC takes those 4, this league will be down to this. (It is amazing the Sun Belt is now raiding C-USA after C-USA did it to them just a few years ago.)

Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, UTEP and Western Kentucky.

Outside of the WAC, no other conference has been hit as hard by conference realignment. In 2002 this was their membership. It was also a premier basketball league.

UAB, Southern Miss, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Depaul, East Carolina, Houston, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, St. Louis, South Florida, Tulane, and Tulsa.

Many of those teams are in P5 leagues, there are final fours and other New Year's day bowls among them.
I am surprised to hear that about la tech. Seems to be a pretty solid g5 school

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 20th, 2021, 4:03 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 3:57 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

There are some hard feelings and some bad history between La Tech and the other Belt schools, particularly the Louisiana ones. They won't ever join.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 20th, 2021, 4:05 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:

Tech, UTEP, and the NewMags are at least interesting. Don't see much point in even talking about the other three. If the MWC were to go after Tech and UTEP, at least there isn't a buy-out with only 3 rump schools left over.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 20th, 2021, 5:16 pm

USU78 wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 4:05 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

Tech, UTEP, and the NewMags are at least interesting. Don't see much point in even talking about the other three. If the MWC were to go after Tech and UTEP, at least there isn't a buy-out with only 3 rump schools left over.
No thanks to either. Less about snooty attitudes, more about strengthening the league. Tech is so far out there, and the MW needs to focus on separating themselves from the others. I am more interested in a combination of St. Mary's, Wichita State, and Gonzaga for a 14 team basketball conference. Don't know if it is possible, but I think it is under discussion.

Also I forgot to point out TCU was a C-USA member in the early 2000's.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 20th, 2021, 5:49 pm

In all honesty the MWC is definitely better off staying at 12 and probably better off staying at 10 if/when Boise/SDSU leave than they are adding UTEP and NMSU.

The only teams that for sure make sense for MWC expansion to 14 are among the top of the original AAC leftovers. The top Texas CUSA schools would be worth looking at, but aren't a slam dunk.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 20th, 2021, 5:56 pm

The MWC was UNT and Rice’s first choice, only after we said “no thanks” did they agree to accept an invitation to the AAC. I’ve seen this reported a few places. Suck it Aresco!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 20th, 2021, 5:57 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 5:49 pm
In all honesty the MWC is definitely better off staying at 12 and probably better off staying at 10 if/when Boise/SDSU leave than they are adding UTEP and NMSU.

The only teams that for sure make sense for MWC expansion to 14 are among the top of the original AAC leftovers. The top Texas CUSA schools would be worth looking at, but aren't a slam dunk.
What about Gonzaga? That is being reported as "still on the table."

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 20th, 2021, 6:03 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 5:57 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

They help very much! I was thinking football invites specifically. I'd love to see 2 out of Gonzaga, SMC, and Wichita added for basketball and olympics.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 20th, 2021, 6:05 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 6:03 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

They help very much! I was thinking football invites specifically.
I agree with football, I would like to see the 3 basketball I named especially the perennial WCC power.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 20th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Certainly none of those are great, but LA Tech and Western Kentucky have solid programs in both basketball and football. They are way far out there so it does not make sense, but they are decent options if the league is ever desperate.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 20th, 2021, 8:46 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 3:57 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

Maybe Tech comes back to the WAC. It's mostly FCS teams now but all those schools have plans to move up to FBS in the next few years. They could play as a FBS independent (like NMSU) until the rest of the conference moves up.

They were a solid WAC member all those years that they were 1000 miles from their nearest conference mate after Tulsa, SMU, TCU and Rice bailed out -- never (I can't express myself without swearing) about it, always competitive, weren't constantly looking to move. (They must really hate Lousiana-Monroe -- they're only about 30 miles apart - but want no part of being in the same conference.). And now the WAC 5.0 will have three teams in east Texas, very proximate to Ruston.

Nobody here knows anything.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 20th, 2021, 9:57 pm

I would like the MWC go for the AAC jugular and land SMU and possibly Tulsa. The NWC is now stronger and could pitch 2 pretty food schools.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post:
ViAggie

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 20th, 2021, 10:37 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

They help very much! I was thinking football invites specifically. I'd love to see 2 out of Gonzaga, SMC, and Wichita added for basketball and olympics.
We should either take one or three of those, to get to an even number of basketball schools. Taking, for example, Gonzaga as “everything but football”, balances out Hawaii’s football only membership, giving us 12 schools in all sports. You COULD then add St Mary’s and Wichita State to give two 6 team divisions in football, and two 7 team divisions in basketball.

Personally, I’d just take Gonzaga, and then wait to see what opportunities offer themselves.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » October 21st, 2021, 10:54 am

LKGates wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 10:37 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

We should either take one or three of those, to get to an even number of basketball schools. Taking, for example, Gonzaga as “everything but football”, balances out Hawaii’s football only membership, giving us 12 schools in all sports. You COULD then add St Mary’s and Wichita State to give two 6 team divisions in football, and two 7 team divisions in basketball.

Personally, I’d just take Gonzaga, and then wait to see what opportunities offer themselves.
Per Hair, we are "standing pat" in both basketball and football for the time being:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 21st, 2021, 11:38 am

Aggie702 wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 10:54 am
LKGates wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Per Hair, we are "standing pat" in both basketball and football for the time being:

“WHY ISN’T THOMPSON DOING ANYTHING!!!?” 😂 wait for it

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » October 21st, 2021, 12:02 pm

I would be shocked if the MWC did not give serious consideration to adding a couple of schools but decided to not add anyone after hearing back from the media partners that the schools under consideration would not move the needle at all on the media contract. With the MWC remaining wholly intact through this latest round of realignment, as well as some of the apparent information on where some MWC schools stack up for invites to the B12 indicating there is not currently much concern that a school will be poached, the MWC doesn't need to take desperate measures like the AAC is doing.

On a side note, USU has the same USNWR ranking as West Virginia and has fairly comparable stats on student population, tuition, and starting salaries. Boise is not specifically ranked but falls somewhere in the 299-391 range.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 21st, 2021, 12:59 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
LKGates wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Translation:

Gonzaga said no again... :pirate:
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
USU78

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 21st, 2021, 1:19 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 12:59 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
LKGates wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Translation:

Gonzaga said no again... :pirate:
I mean they do have it pretty nice- a couple of big non conference games, some tourneys, and then for the rest of the conference schedule they hardly ever leave california. They don't experience a change in time zone all year.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 21st, 2021, 1:37 pm

bwcrc wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 12:02 pm
I would be shocked if the MWC did not give serious consideration to adding a couple of schools but decided to not add anyone after hearing back from the media partners that the schools under consideration would not move the needle at all on the media contract. With the MWC remaining wholly intact through this latest round of realignment, as well as some of the apparent information on where some MWC schools stack up for invites to the B12 indicating there is not currently much concern that a school will be poached, the MWC doesn't need to take desperate measures like the AAC is doing.

On a side note, USU has the same USNWR ranking as West Virginia and has fairly comparable stats on student population, tuition, and starting salaries. Boise is not specifically ranked but falls somewhere in the 299-391 range.
Memphis would move the needle, so I'm guessing they said No,

Or Hair is an idiot for not getting them.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 21st, 2021, 1:38 pm

bwcrc wrote:

That's impressive considering WVU has a medical school and a law school. I actually looked up the rankings, we are tied with WVU at 249 in 2022. Interesting.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 21st, 2021, 1:44 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 1:37 pm
bwcrc wrote:

We weren’t in a position to buy out their $20 million exit fee

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 21st, 2021, 2:47 pm

Some likely conclusions:

(1) Gonzaga wasn’t interested.
(2) We weren’t interested in St. Mary’s.
(3) SMU, Memphis, and Wichita St either were not interested (insanity with the pile of crap the AAC just added), or they did not add enough TV value to justify paying the exit fees.

Memphis will be fine and is probably on the next Big 12 train with Boise St. SMU and Wichita State are simply screwed for the foreseeable future.

I mean, good luck to SMU getting into the Big 12. I’m sure Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU are SUPER interested in elevating SMU.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 21st, 2021, 3:07 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 1:44 pm
2004AG wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

Money money. It’s like people don’t understand this. Does it pencil out.

Is the exit fee really $20m? Wow!

What’s the mwc exit fees?

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » October 21st, 2021, 3:09 pm

If I'm Boise, I would not be too confident in receiving a B12 invite based on the the info posted in another thread that was apparently considered by the B12 on which schools to invite. Boise might still move the needle some with football but brings absolutely nothing else.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 21st, 2021, 3:59 pm

bwcrc wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 3:09 pm
If I'm Boise, I would not be too confident in receiving a B12 invite based on the the info posted in another thread that was apparently considered by the B12 on which schools to invite. Boise might still move the needle some with football but brings absolutely nothing else.
Especially if Boise experiences some much overdue difficult times on the field. If attendance falls off a cliff they may have a difficult time, although the Boise market is pretty big and they have no competition.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 21st, 2021, 4:22 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 3:59 pm
bwcrc wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 3:09 pm
Especially if Boise experiences some much overdue difficult times on the field. If attendance falls off a cliff they may have a difficult time, although the Boise market is pretty big and they have no competition.
I can maybe see their football program go through a lull, but I don't see attendance and the program overall falling off a cliff. Boise is the fastest growing city in the country right now.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » October 21st, 2021, 4:25 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
LKGates wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Code for “we tried luring Gonzaga but they said no!”

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » October 21st, 2021, 5:33 pm

^^^^
Again.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 21st, 2021, 5:54 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 3:07 pm
ViAggie wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 1:44 pm
2004AG wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

Money money. It’s like people don’t understand this. Does it pencil out.

Is the exit fee really $20m? Wow!

What’s the mwc exit fees?
Yep, that’s the AAC exit fee, the MWC exit fee is currently $12 million, and you can in part thank President Crocket for that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic