I obviously missed something

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FeartheFro

I obviously missed something

Post by FeartheFro » October 18th, 2021, 6:15 pm

On our last Drive of the first half, there was a minute 17 left and we were just inside UNLV territory. We hand the ball off on third and long and then started to go for it on fourth and long and in my mind we were called for a delay of game penalty. At this point we attempted a 52 yard field goal that fell short. As I have not heard anything about this sequence on this board I am assuming that I am missing something. It made no sense that we would not attempt the field-goal prior to the delay of game. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yossarian

Re: I obviously missed something

Post by Yossarian » October 18th, 2021, 6:22 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 6:15 pm
On our last Drive of the first half, there was a minute 17 left and we were just inside UNLV territory. We hand the ball off on third and long and then started to go for it on fourth and long and in my mind we were called for a delay of game penalty. At this point we attempted a 52 yard field goal that fell short. As I have not heard anything about this sequence on this board I am assuming that I am missing something. It made no sense that we would not attempt the field-goal prior to the delay of game. What am I missing?

There seemed to be a lot of confusion by both the players and the coaches on what to do there. Players were looking over to the bench with palms up. It was not USU's brightest moment in that game.

Eutaw St. Aggie

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » October 18th, 2021, 6:26 pm

I don't know, the run call on 3rd and forever was nothing short of genius. I mean we averaged over 3 yards a carry on Saturday night. But seriously, if you're going to try a field goal why not throw the ball to try to get closer on 3rd down?
These users thanked the author YouEssYou for the post:
MrBiggle

AgTime

Post by AgTime » October 18th, 2021, 7:06 pm

There was no delay of game penalty. We called our 3rd timeout prior to the clock expiring.

The 3rd and 35 play call was a swing pass wide left to DT, good for 5 yards.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » October 18th, 2021, 7:49 pm

AgTime wrote:There was no delay of game penalty. We called our 3rd timeout prior to the clock expiring.

The 3rd and 35 play call was a swing pass wide left to DT, good for 5 yards.
Thanks sir. I knew there was something I was missing. Still hate the play calling and giving UNLV that field position with 1:17 left in the half.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 18th, 2021, 8:17 pm

YouEssYou wrote:I don't know, the run call on 3rd and forever was nothing short of genius. I mean we averaged over 3 yards a carry on Saturday night. But seriously, if you're going to try a field goal why not throw the ball to try to get closer on 3rd down?
The correct call is the attack punt on third down.

These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post (total 3):
AggieBlues3rdGenAggieEl Sapo

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 18th, 2021, 9:55 pm

He was playing for the FG. We gave it the hard count twice. Once before and once after the TO. A extra 5 yards there would have made the difference.

I thought it was well played. On both sides of the ball.

bull

Post by bull » October 18th, 2021, 11:21 pm

Yep, I thought it was a a zoo also, so I rewatched it quick and it was actually done ok given the circumstances.

Locked Previous topicNext topic