Bowl Game Projections

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Bowl Game Projections

Post by ViAggie » October 17th, 2021, 2:04 pm

CBS: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... edictions/ - Deja Vous all over again for us

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AggieFBObsession

Re: Bowl Game Projections

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 2:09 pm

And YBU has to enjoy a low paying bowl yet another year after their hopes and dreams for greatness are crushed. Poor babies.

I'm sure everyone here would be thrilled with the Potato Bowl after last season. Further, I'd be thrilled if Cincinnati gets in the playoff, but I have a suspicion that they'll trip up before then or get passed by Alabama.

How the hell does SJSU get enough wins to go to a bowl this year? Not a chance. Ditto Hawaii.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
AggiesForever

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 17th, 2021, 2:16 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:09 pm
And YBU has to enjoy a low paying bowl yet another year after their hopes and dreams for greatness are crushed. Poor babies.

I'm sure everyone here would be thrilled with the Potato Bowl after last season. Further, I'd be thrilled if Cincinnati gets in the playoff, but I have a suspicion that they'll trip up before then or get passed by Alabama.

How the hell does SJSU get enough wins to go to a bowl this year? Not a chance. Ditto Hawaii.
I question whether the State of Hawaii will even allow the bowl game? Isn't Hawaii still playing in their small on-campus stadium sans the fans in the stands? How are they supposed to even have a bowl game? :headscratch:

IF we can manage to beat CSU, there's a damn good chance we'll be playing for the MWC championship, bad news is we'll probably be playing Fresno State again. Can I dream that we draw SDSU at Stubhub in LA? That would home game for me, can I dream of us getting the LA Bowl? :utah: :state:
Last edited by ViAggie on October 17th, 2021, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » October 17th, 2021, 2:19 pm

Our conference bowl tie-ins really really suck.. This is one of our better years as a conference as a whole and not a single conference member is projected to play a P5 team.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 17th, 2021, 2:21 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:19 pm
Our conference bowl tie-ins really really suck.. This is one of our better years as a conference as a whole and not a single conference member is projected to play a P5 team.
The LA bowl tie-in is supposed to be a PAC-12, are they implying that the PAC wouldn't have an eligible team? :headscratch: I didn't bother counting how many schools they had from the pac, and it also looks like they had other G5 schools in slots for P5's, odd.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 2:23 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:21 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:
The LA bowl tie-in is supposed to be a PAC-12, are they implying that the PAC wouldn't have an eligible team? :headscratch: I didn't bother counting how many games they had, looks like they had other G5 schools in slots for P5's, odd.
It wouldn't surprise me if the PAC 12 didn't have enough eligible. Btw, Hawaii plays in the large old stadium as always.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » October 17th, 2021, 2:23 pm

ViAggie wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
The LA bowl tie-in is supposed to be a PAC-12, are they implying that the PAC wouldn't have an eligible team? :headscratch:
I don’t know. What I do know is that winning the MWC deserves a better reward than a matchup against Central Michigan smh.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 2:26 pm

One more thing the MWC should get 6 bowl teams. I've got Wyoming going 6-6 and they will probably be the last team eligible.

The PAC 12? 7 teams. 8 max. The irony is that the MWC could have 7 too.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 17th, 2021, 2:28 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:23 pm
ViAggie wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
The LA bowl tie-in is supposed to be a PAC-12, are they implying that the PAC wouldn't have an eligible team? :headscratch: I didn't bother counting how many games they had, looks like they had other G5 schools in slots for P5's, odd.
It wouldn't surprise me if the PAC 12 didn't have enough eligible. Btw, Hawaii plays in the large old stadium as always.
Actually no, they play at their sports complex on campus, I was also curious to see it's an AAC school, used to be C-USA, nice that that AAC was able to negotiate that. Their old stadium has been condemned and is currently being demolished... bhttps://www.thehawaiibowl.com/
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 2:30 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Actually no, they play at their sports complex on campus, I was also curious to see it's an AAC school, used to be C-USA, nice that that AAC was able to negotiate that. Their old stadium has been condemned and is currently being demolished... bhttps://www.thehawaiibowl.com/
Strange. I didn't recall seeing any difference on TV.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 2:32 pm

@ViAggie Right at the start of the video below. You were right! You were right!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 17th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Yeah, with the AAC getting ransacked, I hope we start getting some better bowl tie-ins. I hate that the Potato Bowl even exists, but I’ll take it this year. It’s now been a while since we’ve played in it.

Despite these projections, I don’t see SJSU getting eligible with their back end schedule. They are 3-4 and have to play Fresno, USU, Nevada, Wyoming, and UNLV. I hope UNLV puts them out of their misery this Thursday.

I don’t see Fresno and Nevada as winnable games for them. So they need to beat all three of UNLV, USU, and Wyoming. Ain’t gonna happen.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieFBObsession

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » October 17th, 2021, 5:12 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Even if Cincy goes undefeated, they'll barely be in the Top 10 (if at all) when the CFP rankings come out. They won't make the playoff if they win the rest of their games by 50+, they'll just get passed up by Alabama anyway because losing to P5 teams is more impressive than beating G5 teams

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 18th, 2021, 2:51 am

Have the Bowl Game rules for practices changed? It used to be that one of the big rewards for a bowl game was the NCAA allowing 15 extra practices. Many teams used 5-7 of those extra practices as sort of an extra "spring ball", to give red-shirts and younger players more reps, with the rest used for actual game preparation. With all of these bowl games happening a week or two after championship games and the big bowl game selection Sunday, it seems like a lot of G5 schools would be getting cheated out of the extra practices. The Idaho Potato Bowl would be the first bowl game where use of all of the allotted 15 extra practices (if that is still the rule) could theoretically be utilized if bowl game selection occurs the day after the championship games on December 4.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 18th, 2021, 7:48 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 2:51 am
Have the Bowl Game rules for practices changed? It used to be that one of the big rewards for a bowl game was the NCAA allowing 15 extra practices. Many teams used 5-7 of those extra practices as sort of an extra "spring ball", to give red-shirts and younger players more reps, with the rest used for actual game preparation. With all of these bowl games happening a week or two after championship games and the big bowl game selection Sunday, it seems like a lot of G5 schools would be getting cheated out of the extra practices. The Idaho Potato Bowl would be the first bowl game where use of all of the allotted 15 extra practices (if that is still the rule) could theoretically be utilized if bowl game selection occurs the day after the championship games on December 4.
I don't know if it is still 15 practices or a few less, but the biggest benefactor of going to a bowl is the added practice time. You basically get an extra or close to an extra spring training. For a team with lots of younger guys it gives them valid reps at improving. Obviously the team is happy to go to a bowl, but the extra practices are huge for development programs.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » October 18th, 2021, 8:42 am

ViAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:16 pm
I question whether the State of Hawaii will even allow the bowl game? Isn't Hawaii still playing in their small on-campus stadium sans the fans in the stands? How are they supposed to even have a bowl game? :headscratch:

IF we can manage to beat CSU, there's a damn good chance we'll be playing for the MWC championship, bad news is we'll probably be playing Fresno State again. Can I dream that we draw SDSU at Stubhub in LA? That would home game for me, can I dream of us getting the LA Bowl? :utah: :state:
We were in Hawaii two weeks ago and I have no doubt the game will be played. Tourists are everywhere and the REAL problem is not the tourists, but the locals who refuse to get vaccinated. That took a big turn during the time we were out there and people started to get the message. December is the start of the high tourism season and Hawaii will be getting back to normal by then, I think. We went wherever we wanted and did whatever we wanted with few limitations. About the same as Last Vegas last weekend.

And ViAggie is right, the Rainbow Warriors are playing in an on-campus sports complex about the same configuration but slightly smaller as the stadium we played in, in Plano, TX for the Tropical Smoothie Bowl. The Aloha Bowl is being either torn down or "remodeled" to fit today's needs. It was built and a stadium on rollers that could be reconfigured for baseball and football, but that system was terribly outdated and unworkable.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
AggieFBObsession

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 18th, 2021, 9:06 am

Winkie

Post by Winkie » October 18th, 2021, 9:36 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:26 pm
One more thing the MWC should get 6 bowl teams. I've got Wyoming going 6-6 and they will probably be the last team eligible.

The PAC 12? 7 teams. 8 max. The irony is that the MWC could have 7 too.
Did I miscount? That CBS projection sheet has 8 MWC teams penciled in.
Several for other bowls besides Mountain West tie-ins. But, yeah. Someone check me...

Locked Previous topicNext topic