When was the last time we saw a designed run from under center at USU in a non Goal line package?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

When was the last time we saw a designed run from under center at USU in a non Goal line package?

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2021, 7:18 am

Seriously. When was the last time we saw that play called? The QB goes under center and the play is a designed handoff through a certain hole in the line.

My memory is thinking it’s got to be back to like 2010. Is it really that long, or longer? Has it really never happened in 10+ seasons at Usu and about 8 different OC’s?
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 17th, 2021, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: When was the last time we saw a designed run from under center at USU?

Post by NVAggie » October 17th, 2021, 7:24 am

Last year.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2021, 7:26 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 7:24 am
Last year.
Did it? I’ve eliminated last season from my memory. It didn’t happen & doesn’t count. So, when else?
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 17th, 2021, 7:27 am

This past game. And we fumbled it.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2021, 7:29 am

slcagg wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 7:27 am
I know I’m creating a lot of exceptions here, but I don’t really count a goal line package as to what I’m referencing.

I’m just talking straight up normal play, around midfield, not extenuating circumstances, and we get under center and run the ball.

I’m not complaining, just pointing out how crazy it is we’ve gone through this many OC’s with never really seeing it as a part of the offense at all.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 17th, 2021, 7:31 am

We did it early in the season maybe against Washington state.

There was a decent hole it in all likelihood he would have scored.
Last edited by Elkaggie on October 17th, 2021, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 17th, 2021, 7:54 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 7:29 am
slcagg wrote:
I know I’m creating a lot of exceptions here, but I don’t really count a goal line package as to what I’m referencing.

I’m just talking straight up normal play, around midfield, not extenuating circumstances, and we get under center and run the ball.

I’m not complaining, just pointing out how crazy it is we’ve gone through this many OC’s with never really seeing it as a part of the offense at all.
It’s a good point. My question is why is that? Hartwell and what he wants in an offense and who he has hired? Personnel?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: When was the last time we saw a designed run from under center at USU in a non Goal line package?

Post by brownjeans » October 17th, 2021, 8:11 am

It's no wonder we fumbled the snap.

If we rarely do it, we won't do it well. I wish we did it more often.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
AggieFBObsession

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: When was the last time we saw a designed run from under center at USU in a non Goal line package?

Post by NVAggie » October 17th, 2021, 8:12 am

It would have went for six too. Bonner could have flipped it to the RB and still scored.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 17th, 2021, 8:14 am

I’ve never seen the victory formation with the qb in the shotgun before either. We don’t even go under center for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
Winkie

rollinsm32
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rollinsm32 » October 17th, 2021, 10:07 am

CaptainChaos wrote:I’ve never seen the victory formation with the qb in the shotgun before either. We don’t even go under center for that.

That was really strange when they ended the game like that! It made very little sense. Why not just get under center???

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 17th, 2021, 10:19 am

Who cares. Going under center between the 20s isn't our problem
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2021, 10:25 am

GeoAg wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:19 am
I care because it’s an interesting observation to me. I asked a question because I’m curious. I never said it was a problem.

The whole point of a message board is discussing things like this. Not meeting it all with a lazy response of “who cares?”.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 17th, 2021, 10:31 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:25 am
GeoAg wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:19 am
I care because it’s an interesting observation to me. I asked a question because I’m curious. I never said it was a problem.

The whole point of a message board is discussing things like this. Not meeting it all with a lazy response of “who cares?”.
Well, in that case, it is the evolution of football over the past decade. Nearly everyone runs a spread with a zone read blocking scheme in which the QB is rarely if ever under center. The point is to give the QB a better vantage point to read the defense and to get the ball out on the pass faster by getting it back to 5 step drop depth more quickly.

It is crazy how long it has been since we've seen much work under center, but I think it is the same for most teams unless you are somebody like Wisconsin.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 17th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 7:29 am
slcagg wrote:

They do not trust a snap under center right now. First time I can remember running victory formation out of shotgun. And unless they operate out of some other formation how effective would that be. QB goes under center, defense starts calling watch the play action. What else is there. QB sneak I guess.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » October 17th, 2021, 2:05 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 7:18 am
Seriously. When was the last time we saw that play called? The QB goes under center and the play is a designed handoff through a certain hole in the line.

My memory is thinking it’s got to be back to like 2010. Is it really that long, or longer? Has it really never happened in 10+ seasons at Usu and about 8 different OC’s?
I see this undercover BYU fan has updated his vocabulary to be “we” instead of “they”.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Locked Previous topicNext topic