One Thing we Forget as Fans

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Imakeitrain

One Thing we Forget as Fans

Post by Imakeitrain » October 16th, 2021, 10:12 pm

UNLV is an actual FBS football team. It's foolish to just expect that we will waltz in and pummel an FBS team just because we think we are better. We very well could be better but they aren't slouches either.

UNLV is still filled with FBS caliber football players. That means they are still damn good football players. 25 players * 130 FBS schools= 3250 available scholarships (at max). According to Statista there are approximately 1,100,000 US football players in high schools. For the sake of easiness, lets round down to 250,000 HS seniors that means about 1.3% of HS football seniors will receive an FBS scholarship in any given year.

Yes it was a difficult game, but Fresno State also struggled a bit versus UNLV. We've often struggled against UNLV especially on the road. One time comes to memory was 2013. The score was 28-24. The result of that season was USU won the Mountain Division with 1 loss in conference against Boise State.

I do 100% agree that we have a lot of deficiencies to correct but the difference between elite athletes outside a handful of schools, is not as great as people think. The minuscule differences can have huge impacts, but not always. That's why there is such rampant use of HGH, halotestin, cheque drops, and other PEDs even in HS sports.

We need to win a few more games to make a bowl. We are also rebuilding. It's a process and we are far ahead of schedule. Throwing a tantrum because we struggled against and ultimately defeated elite athletes at UNLV is nonsense. Even I've fell into this trap earlier when I claimed w/o DT we wouldn't have won a single game. (But we do have DT)

I'm sure some Kevin from the Office lookalike will mock the idea that UNLV has elite athletes and repost this on kittyboard. But anyone who has played any HS sport knows the accomplishment it is to even receive a Division 1 offer, let alone D1-FBS.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 9):
AggieFBObsessionAgezzzViAggieslcaggAggie19vegasaggie3rdGenAggiemcaggie1RigAggie

FL350Aggie

Re: One Thing we Forget as Fans

Post by FL350Aggie » October 16th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Great analysis. Thank you. This year has proved that anything can happen. All I see is W, I’ll take it. Gotta win ugly sometimes.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 16th, 2021, 10:25 pm

I watched four years of FBS football while I attended USU and I promise you it doesn't necessarily mean much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 16th, 2021, 10:50 pm

Imagine this Aggie treat back in the late 90s or the 00’s…. We’d had been eeSing our pants to be in the MWC and 4-2 at this point! We’ve been spoiled
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionBustaMcNutt

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

agagag
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by agagag » October 16th, 2021, 10:52 pm

They aren’t though… garbage team and if we are to believe records than we should have “ waltzed in” and won.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 16th, 2021, 10:54 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:50 pm
Imagine this Aggie treat back in the late 90s or the 00’s…. We’d had been eeSing our pants to be in the MWC and 4-2 at this point! We’ve been spoiled
Easy to forget that this conference has more wins vs P5 conferences than any other G5 conference. This is as tough as it gets without being P5, week in and week out.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
MrBiggle

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 16th, 2021, 10:59 pm

agagag wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:52 pm
They aren’t though… garbage team and if we are to believe records than we should have “ waltzed in” and won.

Right. A team that played toe to toe with a 6-0 Utsa team. A team that played toe to toe with a solid fresno team. A team that played late into the 4th quarter at asu is garbage.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOjpswensen

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 16th, 2021, 10:59 pm

An ugly win is better than a pretty loss. Think about it, we had like 5 drives inside their 30 that yielded 0 points. We missed 3 field goals, but we found a way to win. UNLV has played a tough schedule and we're really competitive in 3-4 of them. There is a reason we were only 7 point favorites and at like 60% to win the game. We have issues, but we are 4-2 which is unthinkable 7 weeks ago.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 16th, 2021, 10:59 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:54 pm
ViAggie wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:50 pm
Easy to forget that this conference has more wins vs P5 conferences than any other G5 conference. This is as tough as it gets without being P5, week in and week out.
Should we really consider pac 12 wins as p5 wins?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 16th, 2021, 11:03 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:59 pm

Should we really consider pac 12 wins as p5 wins?
As long as they get the millions from TV contracts, the biggest markets on the west coast (our direct competitors of the MWC) and they have an autobid, absolutely!

However, I sense some TIC, which is supported.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 16th, 2021, 11:04 pm

agagag wrote:

But that’s not how it works.

If we are to believe records we would be confident that we would win. Which we did. We would not necessarily expect to score at will

UNLV is not a good team at the FBS level. But they are still at the FBS level.

The parallel is that right now the Detroit Lions haven’t won a game. They are consistently among the worst teams in the NFL. However they nearly defeated one of the better teams in the NFL, who needed a last second record breaking FG to do so. The Lions also have on their roster some of the best football players on the planet.

So no, it’s not as simple as “that team sucks we gonna kill em”

agagag
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by agagag » October 16th, 2021, 11:44 pm

slcagg wrote:
agagag wrote:

Right. A team that played toe to toe with a 6-0 Utsa team. A team that played toe to toe with a solid fresno team. A team that played late into the 4th quarter at asu is garbage.
Right UTSA, they are really lighting the world on fire right now aren’t they, Fresno probably would kick our butts, and ASU loses to Utah who is arguably at they’re absolute worst this year. Sorry for the pessimistic view but if we continue to just be ok with AWFUL performances, we will continue to yield teams who are described as cardiac kids, or really gutsy teams…. Not quite what we should expect am I wrong?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 16th, 2021, 11:57 pm

agagag wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:44 pm
slcagg wrote:
agagag wrote:

Right UTSA, they are really lighting the world on fire right now aren’t they, Fresno probably would kick our butts, and ASU loses to Utah who is arguably at they’re absolute worst this year. Sorry for the pessimistic view but if we continue to just be ok with AWFUL performances, we will continue to yield teams who are described as cardiac kids, or really gutsy teams…. Not quite what we should expect am I wrong?

What we should expect is to win. We won the game, it was not pretty, but a win is that all that matters. Lots of things to improve, but the team is finding ways to win.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » October 17th, 2021, 12:38 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:12 pm
UNLV is an actual FBS football team. It's foolish to just expect that we will waltz in and pummel an FBS team just because we think we are better. We very well could be better but they aren't slouches either.

UNLV is still filled with FBS caliber football players. That means they are still damn good football players. 25 players * 130 FBS schools= 3250 available scholarships (at max). According to Statista there are approximately 1,100,000 US football players in high schools. For the sake of easiness, lets round down to 250,000 HS seniors that means about 1.3% of HS football seniors will receive an FBS scholarship in any given year.

Yes it was a difficult game, but Fresno State also struggled a bit versus UNLV. We've often struggled against UNLV especially on the road. One time comes to memory was 2013. The score was 28-24. The result of that season was USU won the Mountain Division with 1 loss in conference against Boise State.

I do 100% agree that we have a lot of deficiencies to correct but the difference between elite athletes outside a handful of schools, is not as great as people think. The minuscule differences can have huge impacts, but not always. That's why there is such rampant use of HGH, halotestin, cheque drops, and other PEDs even in HS sports.

We need to win a few more games to make a bowl. We are also rebuilding. It's a process and we are far ahead of schedule. Throwing a tantrum because we struggled against and ultimately defeated elite athletes at UNLV is nonsense. Even I've fell into this trap earlier when I claimed w/o DT we wouldn't have won a single game. (But we do have DT)

I'm sure some Kevin from the Office lookalike will mock the idea that UNLV has elite athletes and repost this on kittyboard. But anyone who has played any HS sport knows the accomplishment it is to even receive a Division 1 offer, let alone D1-FBS.
Very well thought out post. The thing I'm so annoyed with is we seem to beast ourselves far more often then teams are GOOD. But I could be wrong. Hard to watch 1 run play, zero TE plays.... And a QB that always gives the ball up at least 2 times a game :(. But heart isn't something we don't have and that's pretty neat always!

Go Aggs!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 17th, 2021, 9:39 am

People gave UNLV a bad time for barely losing to Eastern Washington in OT during the first game of the year. EWU is the best team this year in the Big Sky and one of the best FCS teams in the country. Like others pointed out in another thread, we are essentially UNLV but we can close games where they can’t.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
vegasaggie

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 17th, 2021, 9:45 am

People need to remember where we were last year, consider the lack of talent and depth we currently have at some important positions, and count your freaking lucky stars we are 4-2 including wins over a P5 school and a very good AFA squad.

Even if we beat UNM and NMSU and lose the rest from here on out, 6-6 will have been a resounding success relative to expectations and personnel.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Winkie

cval

Post by cval » October 17th, 2021, 10:02 am

Buttttt.... Being able to close games is huge. If that is what separates us from the UNLV's of the world, we are on the right track.

Now, we do have to keep improving, but let's not downplay the ability to close games. That ability is hard to find and is often what separates winners from losers.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 17th, 2021, 10:34 am

cval wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:02 am
Buttttt.... Being able to close games is huge. If that is what separates us from the UNLV's of the world, we are on the right track.

Now, we do have to keep improving, but let's not downplay the ability to close games. That ability is hard to find and is often what separates winners from losers.
Great points, we are closing games in the 4th quarter. Years ago with wells we would play well in the first half and then struggle to close out games. Fact is this team is finishing games. Lots of need for improvement, but tickled to see the team finish games the right way. Think of it, 3 times we have scored to win the game within the last 3 minutes. We never use to see that.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
cvalWinkie

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 17th, 2021, 10:46 am

Never look down on a win.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025Imakeitrain3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsession

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » October 18th, 2021, 9:05 am

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 12:38 am

Very well thought out post. The thing I'm so annoyed with is we seem to beast ourselves far more often then teams are GOOD. But I could be wrong. Hard to watch 1 run play, zero TE plays.... And a QB that always gives the ball up at least 2 times a game :(. But heart isn't something we don't have and that's pretty neat always!

Go Aggs!
Untrue. Terrell had one reception for one yard. It was on the 4th down play when we needed 2 yards and he ran a 1 yard pattern. :headscratch: :headscratch:

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » October 18th, 2021, 9:39 am

Coloraggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:05 am
aggiesdidwhat wrote:

Go Aggs!
Untrue. Terrell had one reception for one yard. It was on the 4th down play when we needed 2 yards and he ran a 1 yard pattern. :headscratch: :headscratch:
I think Bonner had to give it up early on that play because of pressure. I don't think that one was on Terrell.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Aggies All the Way!

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » October 18th, 2021, 9:51 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:39 am
Coloraggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:05 am
aggiesdidwhat wrote:

Go Aggs!
I think Bonner had to give it up early on that play because of pressure. I don't think that one was on Terrell.
Not sure where else Terrell was going as he was headed to the sideline with Bonner running right behind him. I don't think the design rollout would have allowed Terrell to turn upfield. We had a receiver crossing the other way about 2 yards downfield but he was running opposite of the way Bonner was running so it would have been impossible to get a pass out. To be clear, I'm not blaming Terrell, he ran the route he was supposed to run, I'm blaming the play design. Terrell did a fantastic job of just catching the ball because of the angle it had to be thrown at. Perhaps the play was designed as a run/pass by Bonner but the opening to run wasn't there and Terrell was covered. Just terrible play calling in my opinion.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 18th, 2021, 9:54 am

The play design on that play was to have him run 2-3 yards up the field and cut across just like he did. The speed of the UNLV linebacker was on full display, because he not only disrupted the pass, but he made the tackle before Terrell could cross the first down line.

Nothing wrong with the play call, Terrell didn't quite run it right. Gotta know where the first down line is at all times. Terrell's effort was there, but the execution wasn't quite as good. Also, the play misdirection didn't fool the linebacker enough.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 18th, 2021, 10:07 am

UNLV made some really nice tackles to drop us just short of the goal line or first down. They have talent, but just not enough of it yet.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 18th, 2021, 10:17 am

agagag wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:44 pm
slcagg wrote:
agagag wrote:

Utsa is ranked, fresno is receiving votes and Utah has rebounded since changing qbs. Enjoy the win. It was a road game against a team that is better than it’s record indicates.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie84025

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » October 18th, 2021, 2:35 pm

UNLV reminds me a lot of us in 2011. They’ve brought in some good talent and are competing in all their games. They just haven’t figured out how to win. Once they flip that switch they could become a decent program.
These users thanked the author donlarson8 for the post:
thegreendalegelf

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 18th, 2021, 2:46 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 2:35 pm
UNLV reminds me a lot of us in 2011. They’ve brought in some good talent and are competing in all their games. They just haven’t figured out how to win. Once they flip that switch they could become a decent program.
I agree. This UNLV team is right on the edge of being real competitors. They just need to learn how to win 4th quarters and they are in a great spot. I've been impressed.

Locked Previous topicNext topic