Few passes positions

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BobWilson

Few passes positions

Post by BobWilson » October 13th, 2021, 11:50 am

Thus far tight end Terrell has three receptions and the position shared by Nathen and Scarver have 5 receptions for five games. Why are these two positions seemingly ignored in our passing game? Nathan had three years 0f 20-30 receptions per year, Scarver not so many but a better average than his current 1 per game. Seems like opposing defenses can just about forget about these two offensive positions as far as the passing game goes. what am I missing here?
These users thanked the author BobWilson for the post (total 3):
aggies22AggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Few passes positions

Post by aggies22 » October 13th, 2021, 11:55 am

BobWilson wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 11:50 am
Thus far tight end Terrell has three receptions and the position shared by Nathen and Scarver have 5 receptions for five games. Why are these two positions seemingly ignored in our passing game? Nathan had three years 0f 20-30 receptions per year, Scarver not so many but a better average than his current 1 per game. Seems like opposing defenses can just about forget about these two offensive positions as far as the passing game goes. what am I missing here?
You've pretty much got it pegged my Aggie brother.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 13th, 2021, 12:00 pm

I think you are right about the tight end, but I don't think Nathan and Scarver play the bulk of the reps at X. Despite the depth chart, I think those are going to Wright and Bowling mostly
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 13th, 2021, 12:02 pm

I can't say what is up with the TE, other than I heard that when we go in formations with the TE, the staff feels we are in a weaker position relative to the defense.

As for why Nathan is not getting more run, I don't get it. Maybe it is blocking, but I find that BS. The kid is a baller. I would like to see more play by Nathan.

But I am just a fan. What do I know?!?
These users thanked the author Aggiefan33 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 13th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 12:02 pm
I can't say what is up with the TE, other than I heard that when we go in formations with the TE, the staff feels we are in a weaker position relative to the defense.

As for why Nathan is not getting more run, I don't get it. Maybe it is blocking, but I find that BS. The kid is a baller. I would like to see more play by Nathan.

Weaker because they are not spread out as far?

And with Nathan, he never had an issue with blocking in the past. I don't get it either, seems like he would be a weapon if we're spreading teams out, he's a solid route runner and if the other teams d is playing their 3rd corner or worse on him, that's to our advantage.

Go Aggies!

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 13th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:

What number fan of Jordan Nathan would you say you are?

Also, where has Tania been? Haven't heard from her here or on Twitter for quite some time.
Last edited by BigBlueDart on October 13th, 2021, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » October 13th, 2021, 2:12 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 12:16 pm
Aggiefan33 wrote:

Also, where has Tina been? Haven't heard from her here or on Twitter for quite some time.
Her absence might be telling of the situation at hand. It sucks because I enjoyed her insight and Jordan really is a baller who just isn’t getting the reps we were expecting.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 13th, 2021, 3:17 pm

Slim80 wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 2:12 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
Aggiefan33 wrote:

Also, where has Tina been? Haven't heard from her here or on Twitter for quite some time.
Her absence might be telling of the situation at hand. It sucks because I enjoyed her insight and Jordan really is a baller who just isn’t getting the reps we were expecting.
Not using the TE is a real head scratcher to me. Terrell seemed to come a long way as a blocker the last couple of years and the way Bonner has been getting hit it would seem having him as an outlet or extra blocker would be prudent. I would rather see sets with him and a rotation of everyone but Scarver at this point. I thought he was a guy a couple years back that had the ability to at least get some looks at the next level if he was targeted a lot and continued to develop so I feel bad for him.

Then again I'm biased toward a little more power game and especially TE use and so maybe I'm ignoring the advantage our personnell has when running wide split doubles on each side or that stacked trips. Andersen is pure spread in that sense in wanting to get as many defenders out of the run game as possible and its hard to have more than 5 in the box against a formation with the slots so far outside.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 13th, 2021, 3:21 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
Aggiefan33 wrote:

Isn't her name Tania?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 13th, 2021, 3:37 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 3:21 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
Aggiefan33 wrote:

Isn't her name Tania?
Yeah. Can't remember if that was a brain fart or an autocorrect. Fixed it in my post.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 13th, 2021, 8:08 pm

I have been quiet for many reasons and will continue to do so. Just say, it was a waste for me to convince him not to transfer to TT
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 5):
FloridaAggie13BigBlueDartBobWilsonAggiefan33AggieBlues

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 13th, 2021, 8:42 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 8:08 pm
I have been quiet for many reasons and will continue to do so. Just say, it was a waste for me to convince him not to transfer to TT
Tania, I can relate to your frustration. I have a son too.

That said, some of us dreamed of playing for Utah State but never had the opportunity. I hope he enjoys his experience at Utah State off the football field especially because good luck finding another college experience that's better. I hope he makes the most of it.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 13th, 2021, 9:18 pm

taniataylor wrote:
Always hard to say what would have been best in hindsight. I hope he’s doing well off the field and that he gets something valuable out of his time at USU. I didn’t get a single pass thrown to me while in Logan, and I wouldn’t have traded my experience for anything.

Now for the football, I think most fans are confused by his lack of playing time. Not starting, sure I could see that, the competition at receiver is good. But he has already proven he is good enough to at least be on the field and getting balls thrown to him several times per game, if not starting. If it’s politics, I’m sorry, that sucks. If the staff really doesn’t think he’s talented enough to be playing more, then they’re making questionable decisions, despite me liking the team trend. Hopefully your kid is able to get more involved, I think most of us are rooting for him. Hang in there!
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

bull

Post by bull » October 13th, 2021, 11:17 pm

Not to mention Bonnor would be excellent at play action and hitting TE over the middle

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 14th, 2021, 8:47 am

tania that sucks, i'm so sorry

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 14th, 2021, 10:30 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 9:18 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Always hard to say what would have been best in hindsight. I hope he’s doing well off the field and that he gets something valuable out of his time at USU. I didn’t get a single pass thrown to me while in Logan, and I wouldn’t have traded my experience for anything.

Now for the football, I think most fans are confused by his lack of playing time. Not starting, sure I could see that, the competition at receiver is good. But he has already proven he is good enough to at least be on the field and getting balls thrown to him several times per game, if not starting. If it’s politics, I’m sorry, that sucks. If the staff really doesn’t think he’s talented enough to be playing more, then they’re making questionable decisions, despite me liking the team trend. Hopefully your kid is able to get more involved, I think most of us are rooting for him. Hang in there!
He's fast, he runs good routes (I think), he blocks and he catches the ball in traffic. Neither Scarver nor McGriff catch the ball in traffic or run good routes. McGriff isn't fast and appears clueless in how to use his height advantage.

Hindsight being 20/20, at least Wells had seen his production first hand and probably would have found a way to involve him.

Way back when, I remember Kohn Smith (basketball) black balling Allen Gordon, our best and really only true PG at the time, going into his senior season of 90-91. This stuff just happens sometimes and it stinks.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 14th, 2021, 10:53 am

taniataylor wrote:
:-( That's the pits. Sorry to hear this.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 14th, 2021, 1:13 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 12:08 pm
Aggiefan33 wrote:

Weaker because they are not spread out as far?

And with Nathan, he never had an issue with blocking in the past. I don't get it either, seems like he would be a weapon if we're spreading teams out, he's a solid route runner and if the other teams d is playing their 3rd corner or worse on him, that's to our advantage.

Sorry for the late response.

Weaker in that as we go bigger the defense goes bigger. In listening to interviews and such, it appears our focus is to out hustle people. Get into space and use speed as our primary weapon as we are not as big in the trenches as others.
Just my take after listening to interviews after the boise game and the byu game.

my interpretation is that we feel we match up better with speed than with size. But I would like to see more TE sets, but we don't like to sub.

again, just my take.
Aggie19

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 14th, 2021, 1:14 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
Aggiefan33 wrote:

I would guess I'm the Jordan Nathan's 33rd fan?!?
AGinNEIowa

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 14th, 2021, 1:17 pm

taniataylor wrote:
We miss you around here, but we also completely respect and understand your decision to remain quiet. :cry:

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 14th, 2021, 1:34 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 10:53 am
taniataylor wrote:
:-( That's the pits. Sorry to hear this.
I understand the decision early on to try to get Scarver situationally involved but they have done nothing to try to get him the ball where he can utilize his skills like in a reverse or misdirection. Not even on post routes which are theoretical easier balls for a receiver and a QB. Throwing a fade once a game from a QB that can't throw them and WR that can't catch them doesn't make a lot of sense. Wright, Nathan, and Terrell should be getting those reps. All 3 have a history of proven production and experience.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 14th, 2021, 1:53 pm

taniataylor wrote:I have been quiet for many reasons and will continue to do so. Just say, it was a waste for me to convince him not to transfer to TT
I don’t pick up on subtlety very well, what’s she really trying to say here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 14th, 2021, 5:35 pm

I re-watched the Kent St. bowl game today....I know, don't ask. Anyway, it got me wondering more about Nathan and his current lack of PT. Even with Mariner, Thompkins, Bright, Warren, Scarver & Terrell all available (good hell how did we lose so many games with that?...not to mention being led by Love) it was Nathan that led us in receptions and also had a couple of carries too. Yes, he had the one snafu on a punt that hit his leg at about the 10 yard line but he was the chain mover on offense all game long.

I know Thompkins and Bowling are looked to as the slot guys but I'm not sure why we wouldn't add Nathan to the mix too. All 3 out there together with Wright or McGriff as a 4th WR poses some real issues for defenders. They may be small, but they all run great routes and can catch. I feel like Nathan and Bowling running underneath routes with Thompkins running the deeper routes would be the way to go. Scarver has not shown the ability to take the top off and get open deep so why not turn that duty over to DT? That doesn't mean to not use him in other ways too but I just feel like having those 3 out there together fits what Bonner does well which is get rid of the ball quickly and decisively. Let them rack up some yards after the catch.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
AngusAgAggiefan33

bull

Post by bull » October 15th, 2021, 3:28 pm

I’m hoping to see some adjustments in the passing game tomorrow. So far this season we seem to be putting more focus showing the defense Bonner can/will throw deep rather than focusing on his strength of 7-10 yard routes. Let him hit Wright, Bowling, Tompkins, TERRELL and NATHAN on digs and dags all day long.
Also we should establish a couple good pick plays like every other team in the country. And last I’m hoping to see Peasley receive a jet sweep from Bonner with option to run or throw from the flat. - Had a dream about that last one 😄
These users thanked the author bull for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionAggie19

bull

Post by bull » October 15th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Also the VanLewin kid should see the field a bit more.
These users thanked the author bull for the post:
Aggie19

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 15th, 2021, 5:38 pm

7 games left. Maybe 8 if we go bowling.

It ain't ova yet

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

Full

Post by Full » October 15th, 2021, 9:48 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 5:38 pm
7 games left. Maybe 8 if we go bowling.

It ain't ova yet
9 you forgot the game Dec. 4.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic