Who should be our QB

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiefan2020
Troll

Who should be our QB

Post by Aggiefan2020 » September 29th, 2021, 12:29 pm

4 games in we've seen good and bad in both, just curious on what your thoughts are....

- Bonner quicker decision maker however has been inaccurate/late in longer throws.

- Peasley better dual threat however has had accuracy issues as well.

I personally feel that Peasley has more potential and keeps the defense on their toes and honest where as Bonner is one dimensional. If both have the same accuracy issues why not give Peasley the nod?

Roy McAvoy

Re: Who should be our QB

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 29th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Peasley went like 4 possessions against Boise without getting a 1st down.

I vote Bonner. I just wish we had more run plays designed to call that weren't just vanilla read option hand-offs up the middle.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttAggieFBObsession

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 29th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Its Bonner. But we need to avoid the dumb QB draws when Bonner is in.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 3):
brownjeansAggieFBObsessionCodingAggieBlue

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 29th, 2021, 12:37 pm

I actually think that it's situational.
I thought Peasley was the guy against BSU, and to a degree, I still do.
I think Bonner is going to shred BYU's secondary. His ability to hang in the pocket is going to be a better fit than Peasley IMHO against the Cougars.

Also good to bring Peasley in to see if BYU spies him. If they do, then he'll have to throw. If they don't, watch out.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Aggiefan2020

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 29th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Logan Bonner.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
utahcountyaggieAggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » September 29th, 2021, 12:56 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:Peasley went like 4 possessions against Boise without getting a 1st down.

I vote Bonner. I just wish we had more run plays designed to call that weren't just vanilla read option hand-offs up the middle.
It’s pretty weird, why does it seem like they are running Bonners plays when Peasleys in and they are running Peasleys plays when Bonners in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post (total 6):
thegreendalegelfAggiefan20203rdGenAggiegomretatFloridaAggie13BigBlueSteve

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 29th, 2021, 1:00 pm

My beef with Peasley is that he holds the ball too long - maybe in an attempt to prove himself a pocket passer. He needs to embrace who he is, go through the reads fast, then use his feet. Instead he goes through his reads and then, looks around some more looking for something else. He sits there too long - it's why he ends up under pressure. It's why he got the intentional grounding call and the fumble vs Boise.
Last edited by brownjeans on September 29th, 2021, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 5):
Aggiefan2020aggies223rdGenAggieAggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

Aggiefan2020
Troll

Post by Aggiefan2020 » September 29th, 2021, 1:02 pm

Definitely play calling has been an issue. Being at the BSU game i felt like Peasley was just a straight running offense with limited throws it was frustrating. Also Bonner seemed scared to get hit or have any contact the full first half which in my opinion is why he had the one of the interceptions. I feel like they need to open the playbook this week in order to have a chance.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 29th, 2021, 1:05 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 12:56 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:Peasley went like 4 possessions against Boise without getting a 1st down.

It’s pretty weird, why does it seem like they are running Bonners plays when Peasleys in and they are running Peasleys plays when Bonners in.

lol, I've thought the same thing! It's really odd.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
gomretat

ususports

Post by ususports » September 29th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 12:37 pm
:shock: So his 2/6 passing for 35 yards, and his 6 rushes for 9 yards impressed you? :shock:

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 29th, 2021, 1:14 pm

I don't necessarily think that this is what should happen, but I wonder if we reach a point where they just decide to go with Legas for a few series. Is there any reason to think that he could actually provide more than either Bonner or Peasley if given the reps?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 29th, 2021, 1:14 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 12:36 pm
Its Bonner. But we need to avoid the dumb QB draws when Bonner is in.
Those drive me nuts, the only time he should be running is when the play breaks down. I do agree we need to have some run plays for the RB that are more creative at time. We are averaging 200 yards rushing a game so all is not lost.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 29th, 2021, 1:17 pm

ususports wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 1:08 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 12:37 pm
:shock: So his 2/6 passing for 35 yards, and his 6 rushes for 9 yards impressed you? :shock:
No I think he played poorly.

I think if he had started, he wouldn't have been playing from behind and having to make plays.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 29th, 2021, 1:20 pm

I feel Peasley is better suited to beat BYU.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » September 29th, 2021, 2:03 pm

I feel I will trust a coach whose job depends on winning and losing games and who spends multiple hours a day, 7 days a week with the players. As opposed to fans that make their decision based on a number of series watching the QB and making the call. Rant over. Huge pet peeve for me with fans that actually think they know better than a head coach whose literal job is to win games. I know that most of you are just having fun participating in a fan message board, but there are some who really think they know better. By the way, why the hell isn’t Nathan getting reps as a receiver?

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 2):
usufootballgirlADKAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 29th, 2021, 2:12 pm

It is Bonner by a hair, but I keep wishing Peasley would do something to take it. Peasley has a much higher ceiling. He has what we need to be a good offense. Unfortunately, he can't make quick reads and holds the ball way too long. Bonner is what he is. He isn't going to get faster. He isn't going to always be on point with his throws, but he can move the ball.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggiebrownjeans

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 29th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 12:31 pm

To be fair, I thought the play calling when Peasley was in was really bad. It seemed like we went ultra conservative with him for some reason.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
brownjeansFloridaAggie13

ususports

Post by ususports » September 29th, 2021, 2:17 pm

NVAggie wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 2:12 pm
It is Bonner by a hair
Good thing his name is spelled differently, or that could have been awkward. :joking:

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 29th, 2021, 2:20 pm

Bonner...

A major element that works against Peasley is that when he comes in, defenses are keying on his running ability, and Tucker calls more runs with him in. He's best running when protection breaks down and he has to scramble. I'd run a lot more designed rollouts and moving pockets for Peasley.

Bonner gets the nod, but he needs really good protection, and needs to learn a lot more touch on some of his mid- to deep-throws.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 29th, 2021, 3:05 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 2:03 pm
I feel I will trust a coach whose job depends on winning and losing games and who spends multiple hours a day, 7 days a week with the players. As opposed to fans that make their decision based on a number of series watching the QB and making the call. Rant over. Huge pet peeve for me with fans that actually think they know better than a head coach whose literal job is to win games. I know that most of you are just having fun participating in a fan message board, but there are some who really think they know better. By the way, why the hell isn’t Nathan getting reps as a receiver?

That would be true if coaches never made mistakes and never picked the wrong players to start and play. (Exhibit A: Gary Andersen chased off Henri Columbi and picked Jason Shelley to start)

Its correct to say Blake Anderson knows more about football than all of us combined, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of making a mistake and playing the wrong player. (Exhibit B: Playing Scarver over Jordan Nathan)
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 3):
usufootballgirlAggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » September 29th, 2021, 3:16 pm

It will be Bonner going forward and should be-- he's way more accurate than Peasley and moves the ball more efficiently, but don't be surprised to see some Peasley versus BYU. South Florida's running quarterback totally had his way with BYU's footslow, unathletic defensive team and it caused them some major problems. If South Florida's defense could stop anybody, they would have defeated BYU. So don't be too surprised to see some opportunities for Peasley in this game.

Nathan seems to be slower than he used to be. That's the only observation I can make. He just doesn't seem to have the speed he had before when he was a freshman and sophomore. I could be wrong.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionAgMac

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 29th, 2021, 4:24 pm

I want Bonner to start and to be the "starter" going forward. He's just more refined and consistent (although not as refined and consistent as I'd like him to be).

However, I want Peasley to get a a decent number of snaps every game (like 10) and they don't have to be series by series. Bring him in in the middle of a drive to run some special stuff. I'm thinking Tucker should create some specific "wildcat" plays for Peasley, but let him throw occasionally too to keep the defense guessing.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

coolag

Post by coolag » September 29th, 2021, 4:41 pm

FeartheFro wrote:

You're right coaches are perfect and know everything.....ahem......fake punt.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Regulator of Class

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 29th, 2021, 4:45 pm

brownjeans wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 1:00 pm
My beef with Peasley is that he holds the ball too long - maybe in an attempt to prove himself a pocket passer. He needs to embrace who he is, go through the reads fast, then use his feet. Instead he goes through his reads and then, looks around some more looking for something else. He sits there too long - it's why he ends up under pressure. It's why he got the intentional grounding call and the fumble vs Boise.
This! Btw, @brownjeans it's happy feet from not reading the defense well enough presnap and a lack of confidence. How many coordinators has he had? He's almost like a freshman this year.
Last edited by AggieFBObsession on September 29th, 2021, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
brownjeans

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 29th, 2021, 6:16 pm

BA has been saying all week in his interviews and press conferences that Bonner is the guy and they plan to play him the vast majority of the snaps moving forward....with perhaps a few special packages for Peasley. Is it possible that he is just playing everyone (especially BYU) and will end up trotting Peasley out there to start in order to catch them off guard? I don't think this is likely but I don't know BA well enough to know if he plays his cards that way or not.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 6:16 pm
BA has been saying all week in his interviews and press conferences that Bonner is the guy and they plan to play him the vast majority of the snaps moving forward....with perhaps a few special packages for Peasley. Is it possible that he is just playing everyone (especially BYU) and will end up trotting Peasley out there to start in order to catch them off guard? I don't think this is likely but I don't know BA well enough to know if he plays his cards that way or not.
Peasley will get snaps in this manner to not only keep him fresh but also because he'll be the returning starter next year and needs as much experience as possible to improve. He'll be the guy with the job to lose next year instead of feeling that he needs to prove himself. No source. It just makes a lot of sense.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 29th, 2021, 6:58 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Peasley will get snaps in this manner to not only keep him fresh but also because he'll be the returning starter next year and needs as much experience as possible to improve. He'll be the guy with the job to lose next year instead of feeling that he needs to prove himself. No source. It just makes a lot of sense.
Bonner has a year eligibility next year if he chooses to come back.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » September 29th, 2021, 8:02 pm

Peasley can only do 1 read, so against weak competition he can look good. If he is against a good D and smart coaches he can't throw.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
BustaMcNutt

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 29th, 2021, 9:14 pm

coolag wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 4:41 pm
FeartheFro wrote:

Anthony Calvillo started out as the third string QB in 1992.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiUSU78

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 29th, 2021, 9:19 pm

Both have shown flashes of brilliance - Bonner at WSU and Peasely at AF, but neither has displayed any consistency needed to be deemed the true #1. For now, Bonner is still the more consistent of the two (while being inconsistent :-)) with Peasely showing better overall upside but he's been boom or bust, nothing in between.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 29th, 2021, 9:24 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 9:14 pm
coolag wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 4:41 pm
FeartheFro wrote:

Anthony Calvillo started out as the third string QB in 1992.
Yep. Coaches even great coaches make the wrong decisions all the time. Urban meyer is one of the greatest college coaches ever, yet future #1 pick ale. Smith only became the starter at Utah because his choice for the starter got knocked out for the year. He later won a national title with cardale jones who was initially his 3rd string. So yeah coaches overall obviously know way more than fans, but also are far from infallible or above criticism.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
FloridaAggie13

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » September 30th, 2021, 6:49 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

The only US points were put on the board on a drive with Peasley at QB, including no incomplete passes on that drive (1-1 for 28yards), overall 8 plays 85 yards in under 3 minutes

I do believe that Bonner went 3 and out in 3 drives, same as Peasley

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 30th, 2021, 6:51 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
September 30th, 2021, 6:49 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

The only US points were put on the board on a drive with Peasley at QB, including no incomplete passes on that drive (1-1 for 28yards), overall 8 plays 85 yards in under 3 minutes

I do believe that Bonner went 3 and out in 3 drives, same as Peasley
I don’t blame the lack of points on Bonner. Kicks were missed, and tbh I think we score the opening drive if McGriff doesn’t miss & tip that pass.

Also, if Bonner & Peasley both went 3 & out 3 times, Bonner also had what, 3-4x the amount of drives than Peasley?
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 30th, 2021, 6:55 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 6:58 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
This is correct.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 30th, 2021, 7:10 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 30th, 2021, 6:55 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 6:58 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
This is correct.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on September 30th, 2021, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locked Previous topicNext topic