The incomplete pass ruling

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

The incomplete pass ruling

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 25th, 2021, 11:56 pm

We all hated the ruling of an incomplete forward pass. And it sure was more intended to be a handoff than a pass forward. But by the letter, the ball moved forward with his arm moving forward so it was a legit ruling.

jpswensen

Re: The incomplete pass ruling

Post by jpswensen » September 25th, 2021, 11:58 pm

Is still don’t think it went forward. It went straight up in the air. If a lateral went perfectly horizontal to the field, it is a pitch and not a pass. If a ball goes straight up in the air and doesn’t go forward, it should be a pitch and not a pass.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

bull

Post by bull » September 26th, 2021, 12:07 am

What about the two hand part ? That is called a pitch. Nobody is out there granny style “throwing” passes to receivers.
Jordan Nathan should have been called for a safety though so I guess you win some and you lose some.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 26th, 2021, 12:15 am

I want to see another look at that PI call in the end zone. On the only replay, to me it looked like clear offensive PI, as the ball was coming in the Boise WR grabbed our guy and pulled him out of the way. But they never showed it again.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 26th, 2021, 6:38 am

We shouldn't be too worried about officiating in this game when Boise State should've had a safety. Boise State has an L in their Win/Loss column because of bad officiating on one play against Ok St and they left 2 points on the board in this game because of a bad call.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 26th, 2021, 6:42 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 26th, 2021, 12:15 am
I want to see another look at that PI call in the end zone. On the only replay, to me it looked like clear offensive PI, as the ball was coming in the Boise WR grabbed our guy and pulled him out of the way. But they never showed it again.
Cam lampkin would agree with you! Haha

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
USU78

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 26th, 2021, 6:53 am

slcagg wrote:
September 26th, 2021, 6:42 am

Cam lampkin would agree with you! Haha

OMG. The dude needs to turn his head before the ball arrives and avoid running over receivers before they catch the ball. I get that the Wazzu game the call was close, but he really needs to be set straight. I'm not convinced that our DBs coach is doing any coaching.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
MrBiggle

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 26th, 2021, 7:27 am

Can, just turn around. You are going to have interceptions if you do.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 26th, 2021, 8:48 am

It was probably the correct call, but honestly, I would like to see the rule changed to make it more clear in a number of situations. My suggestion: if it passes the line of scrimmage from behind the line of scrimmage, it is a forward pass. If not, it is a pitch and a live ball - regardless of whether the QB's hand moves forward, regardless of whether the ball moves forward, etc. This would advise most of the pass vs fumble debate. It would also make bubble screens a lot more interesting.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieCodingAggieBlueJSHarvey

Formerly TulsAGGIE

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » September 26th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Honestly, I've only been a fan of Utah State for 4-5 years, but I know the Aggies have become my team because I said multiple times yesterday, "We do not have the smartest fan base" or "It was quite embarrassing how our fans react to forward passes, fair catches, pass interference, etc."

However, after I said that a few times, I realize I was saying "we" and "our" vs. "they" and "their" for the first time.

Silver lining I guess. Haha
These users thanked the author GrandPoubah for the post (total 5):
AggieFBObsessionAggie19JSHarveyAGinNEIowaaggieguy13

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 26th, 2021, 1:33 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
September 26th, 2021, 1:28 pm
Honestly, I've only been a fan of Utah State for 4-5 years, but I know the Aggies have become my team
Very few things (hobbies) in my life have been more rewarding. There's plenty of ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Go Aggies! :thumbsup: :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
GrandPoubah

rAggie

Post by rAggie » September 26th, 2021, 4:02 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
Honestly, I've only been a fan of Utah State for 4-5 years, but I know the Aggies have become my team because I said multiple times yesterday, "We do not have the smartest fan base" or "It was quite embarrassing how our fans react to forward passes, fair catches, pass interference, etc."

However, after I said that a few times, I realize I was saying "we" and "our" vs. "they" and "their" for the first time.

Someone behind me was calling for flags on literally every incomplete pass, so I feel you.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
GrandPoubah

Showing my True Colors since 2022

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 26th, 2021, 9:43 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:

Right, because no other fan base thinks they get screwed on PI's and holding penalties; or, know the intricacy behind the ruling of a fumble on what essentially is a shovel pass. Just us dummies rooting for USU I guess.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » September 26th, 2021, 9:47 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 26th, 2021, 9:43 pm
GrandPoubah wrote:

Right, because no other fan base thinks they get screwed on PI's and holding penalties; or, know the intricacy behind the ruling of a fumble on what essentially is a shovel pass. Just us dummies rooting for USU I guess.
No, that was not "essentially a shovel pass". For the definitive guide on the shovel pass, see this Mike Leach master class

These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13GrandPoubah

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 26th, 2021, 9:48 pm

If another fan base were truly that smart they sure as hell would not be cheering for BYU or Boise.

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » September 27th, 2021, 12:23 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
GrandPoubah wrote:

Ha ha - Perhaps I'm getting old and just expect too much for people to listen and think "oh that's right, there is that rule which states that when a forward pass hits the ground prior to being possessed by another player, its called incomplete".

Full

Post by Full » September 27th, 2021, 7:54 am

GrandPoubah wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 12:23 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
GrandPoubah wrote:

Ha ha - Perhaps I'm getting old and just expect too much for people to listen and think "oh that's right, there is that rule which states that when a forward pass hits the ground prior to being possessed by another player, its called incomplete".
Help me understand how to interpret "forward" and "pass". When I look at this I see a two hand throw straight up. I guess in basketball they might call that a pass, but I can't see anything that resembles forward.

I know you aren't talking about this play only, but this is a play they reviewed and confirmed this was a forward pass.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2021, 8:25 am

Full wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
GrandPoubah wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 12:23 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
GrandPoubah wrote:

Help me understand how to interpret "forward" and "pass". When I look at this I see a two hand throw straight up. I guess in basketball they might call that a pass, but I can't see anything that resembles forward.

I know you aren't talking about this play only, but this is a play they reviewed and confirmed this was a forward pass.
It is for sure not your typical shovel pass that is pretty easy to distinguish. He literally just drops the ball in fron of his body it does not seem to go forward at all. It is for sure borderline.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 27th, 2021, 8:37 am

A pass, in order not to be a lateral, has to travel forward from where it is released from the QB's hand (hands in this case). Hence the defined term "forward pass."

This was a crap call, and would not be called on a featured CBS noon EST game for anyone not named Boazy.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
GUSNavyBlueAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 27th, 2021, 8:48 am

Hey now, those types of passes account for 1/3 of Kent Myers completions during his time at USU.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
AGinNEIowaUSU78FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 27th, 2021, 10:33 am

NVAggie wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 8:48 am
Hey now, those types of passes account for 1/3 of Kent Myers completions during his time at USU.
...and his ensuing twitter storm touting his 'stats' in a 45-17 loss.

I'm so glad there wasn't social media when I was 19 because I was a jack a$$.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 27th, 2021, 12:15 pm

I've never seen identical calls for near identical situations on consecutive weeks, both going against the recovering team.

They're both fumbles, gents:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 27th, 2021, 6:09 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 10:33 am
NVAggie wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 8:48 am
...and his ensuing twitter storm touting his 'stats' in a 45-17 loss.

I'm so glad there wasn't social media when I was 19 because I was a jack a$$.
As was I and a reason I generally give people more of a leeway for their mistakes when they are young. I remember some idiots going after Kyler Murray for tweets he made as a teenager. Get real people.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 27th, 2021, 8:12 pm

So my question is this: If they don't botch the handoff, does the QB get credit for a completion?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 27th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:So my question is this: If they don't botch the handoff, does the QB get credit for a completion?
Yes. This is a staple in the Oregon offense. At least it was when I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » September 28th, 2021, 10:56 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 9:06 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:So my question is this: If they don't botch the handoff, does the QB get credit for a completion?

Patrick My Homie beat me in fantasy football this week because of his TD pass......

splintorb

Post by splintorb » September 28th, 2021, 11:05 am

GrandPoubah wrote:
September 28th, 2021, 10:56 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Patrick My Homie beat me in fantasy football this week because of his TD pass......

In my opinion, this is different than what their "pass" was. I believe they actually "faked" this portion of it in Boise's play, and gave it to the running back next to him. I'd say in the Mahomes play, it actually kinda tosses it in front of him, in the Boise play, he tossed it straight to his side, for the running back to get.

Full

Post by Full » September 28th, 2021, 11:21 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 6:09 pm
This is still a backwards pass. You see the motion of Bachmeier is all from the elbow to the wrist, his shoulder to his elbow does not extend outward and the motion of the ball is up and backwards. A backwards pass, or lateral, is live ball until recovered. When Bachmeier was showing the ref he extended his elbows forward in an way to explain that it was a pass, but in the play the ball is no traveling forward.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
USU78

GUS

Post by GUS » September 28th, 2021, 11:35 am

There was nothing forward in that hand off.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 2):
USU78AggieFBObsession

Locked Previous topicNext topic