Fielding punts deep - why?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
rAggie

Fielding punts deep - why?

Post by rAggie » September 25th, 2021, 5:03 pm

The play where Jordan Nathan fielded a punt and was tackled in the end zone that probably was actually a safety…I asked on Twitter if someone would tell him to quit fielding punts inside the five (this happened also in the UND game) and he replied saying he was coached to do that.

First, I didn’t mean to come across as harassing the kid so sorry if that was the case.

Second, why would we coach this? I’ve had coaching friends explain to me before their philosophy of fielding punts when they’re deep and there’s always some mix of how deep vs what movement is on the punted ball, but I was of the thought that a ball that you would catch inside the five you’re generally better off letting it go.

Wondering what the coaches on here think.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

AggieFBObsession

Re: Fielding punts deep - why?

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 25th, 2021, 5:15 pm

I was just having that conversation with a friend. The ball should never be fielded inside the 5 unless there's nobody within 20 yards.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Honestly I have a hard time hating on Jordan Nathan right now. Last year of playing and gets no playing time after starting most of his career. Seems to be handling it like a champ.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 25th, 2021, 5:24 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 5:23 pm
Honestly I have a hard time hating on Jordan Nathan right now. Last year of playing and gets no playing time after starting most of his career. Seems to be handling it like a champ.
Agreed, but that's not the issue. He's being coached to catch those within the 5. There's a coaching issue here.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
MrBiggle

rAggie

Post by rAggie » September 25th, 2021, 5:30 pm

Not hating on him at all. If it is a coaching issue as he says, that is a worthy question to understand why.

I just spoke to a trusted coach and he said it used to be you stand on the 10 and if you have to step backward to field the ball you let it go. But as kickers have got more accurate at the movement they put on the ball, the new standard is to stand on the five and depending on how the ball is angled you either let it go, field it, or fair catch. At the two you never fair catch and should almost always let it go.

We have a few instances this season of fair catching inside the five and then today’s near safety. Might be a worthy question to the coach about his philosophy on fielding punts.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
Aggie19

Showing my True Colors since 2022

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 25th, 2021, 5:34 pm

I wouldn't want someone to fair catch it, or catch it at all, from the five. I'd make the other team down it. If they do, you lose maybe four yards? If they don't, you gain twenty.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
Aggie19AggieFBObsession

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 25th, 2021, 6:52 pm

slcagg wrote:Honestly I have a hard time hating on Jordan Nathan right now. Last year of playing and gets no playing time after starting most of his career. Seems to be handling it like a champ.
He’s been like a four year starter. Seems odd he can’t see the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
FloridaAggie13

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 25th, 2021, 6:56 pm

2004AG wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 6:52 pm
slcagg wrote:Honestly I have a hard time hating on Jordan Nathan right now. Last year of playing and gets no playing time after starting most of his career. Seems to be handling it like a champ.
He’s been like a four year starter. Seems odd he can’t see the field.

Yeah, especially when there are a couple of guys that are playing that cannot catch the ball. There were a couple of drops today that Nathan would have come down with.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Aggie19

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » September 25th, 2021, 7:56 pm

He has been coached only to fair catch and I have a problem with that. He was asked not to transfer and I talked him into staying and for what? FOR the record as I heard this rumor at the Washington St game he wanted to be #0 for sentimental reasons and not because someone else wanted it

AND NO, I AM NOT HAPPY

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 25th, 2021, 8:12 pm

taniataylor wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 7:56 pm
He has been coached only to fair catch and I have a problem with that. He was asked not to transfer and I talked him into staying and for what? FOR the record as I heard this rumor at the Washington St game he wanted to be #0 for sentimental reasons and not because someone else wanted it

AND NO, I AM NOT HAPPY
I don't understand this at all. Why would you limit him, even if he averaged what he did in the past, by not allowing him to return, it costs us almost 9 yards every time.

I'm sorry for his and your frustration, Tania. I hope they take the handcuffs off and let him do his job.

Go Aggies!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » September 25th, 2021, 8:20 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 8:12 pm
taniataylor wrote:

AND NO, I AM NOT HAPPY
I don't understand this at all. Why would you limit him, even if he averaged what he did in the past, by not allowing him to return, it costs us almost 9 yards every time.

I'm sorry for his and your frustration, Tania. I hope they take the handcuffs off and let him do his job.
He was really looking forward to this season. He was moved to an outside receiver and now playing behind 2 that cannot catch. He was told that it doesnt matter what he did in the past. I guess his height is weighing in here because its definitely not his route running, blocking or catching ability!
I’m watching his frustration and he is still looking forward to his pro-day, we still have one more trick up our sleeve
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 5):
AggieFBObsessionAggie19usugoalie13FloridaAggie13thegreendalegelf

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2021, 8:23 pm

taniataylor wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 8:20 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 8:12 pm
taniataylor wrote:

AND NO, I AM NOT HAPPY

He was really looking forward to this season. He was moved to an outside receiver and now playing behind 2 that cannot catch. He was told that it doesnt matter what he did in the past. I guess his height is weighing in here because its definitely not his route running, blocking or catching ability!
I’m watching his frustration and he is still looking forward to his pro-day, we still have one more trick up our sleeve
Tania can understand the frustration. He seems to be handling it like a champ. Nathan is a great young man in my book and look forward to his future success!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
taniataylorAggieFBObsessionAggie19

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 25th, 2021, 8:34 pm

I guess the game has changed. Maybe pointers are getting better or the shape of the ball is different. It used to be that the returner woyld plant his heels on the 10 yard line and if he had to back up to field the point, he would just call fair catch and let it go. A lot of times they would drift away from where the ball was going to land to try and decoy the defense so they couldn't down it. It is very difficult to get that funny shaped ball to not bounce forward unpredictably.

Eutaw St. Aggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 25th, 2021, 8:38 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 8:34 pm
I guess the game has changed. Maybe pointers are getting better or the shape of the ball is different. It used to be that the returner woyld plant his heels on the 10 yard line and if he had to back up to field the point, he would just call fair catch and let it go. A lot of times they would drift away from where the ball was going to land to try and decoy the defense so they couldn't down it. It is very difficult to get that funny shaped ball to not bounce forward unpredictably.
It's not so much that the game is changing. I've seen other cfb teams do exactly that this year. Fresno State did it against UNLV. It's this staff who wants to be so different.

coolag

Post by coolag » September 25th, 2021, 9:40 pm

I've been hard on Jordan but can admit it is ridiculous that scarver plays and Jordan does not. Scarver literally has the worst hands for a receiver I have ever seen and quite frankly his kick returns have been abysmal as well. And while McGriff has had some good moments he can't be counted on to catch the ball consistently.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
Aggie19FloridaAggie13

Regulator of Class

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 25th, 2021, 9:48 pm

coolag wrote:I've been hard on Jordan but can admit it is ridiculous that scarver plays and Jordan does not. Scarver literally has the worst hands for a receiver I have ever seen and quite frankly his kick returns have been abysmal as well. And while McGriff has had some good moments he can't be counted on to catch the ball consistently.
I love this coaching staff so far but playing Scarver over Nathan is inexcusable.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 25th, 2021, 10:32 pm

Mcgruff can't catch and is clueless as to how to use his height advantage. Scarver can't catch or get open. DT, Bowling and Wright are studs.

Nathan deserves a shot over McDrops and Scarver.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 25th, 2021, 10:38 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 8:38 pm
Yossarian wrote:
It's not so much that the game is changing. I've seen other cfb teams do exactly that this year. Fresno State did it against UNLV. It's this staff who wants to be so different.
I'm curious of the reasoning to FC inside the 10. The only reasons I can think of is teams are finding ways to cover better and thus down more balls inside the five. So, better to FC at the 7 than have it downed at the one.

Also, and maybe a question for Stephen's dad, perhaps the Aussie-style kick lends itself to more accuracy or precision. I think it certainly helps in punt coverage.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 25th, 2021, 10:54 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 10:38 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
I'm curious of the reasoning to FC inside the 10. The only reasons I can think of is teams are finding ways to cover better and thus down more balls inside the five. So, better to FC at the 7 than have it downed at the one.

Also, and maybe a question for Stephen's dad, perhaps the Aussie-style kick lends itself to more accuracy or precision. I think it certainly helps in punt coverage.
This is exactly why. ST's are so good at pinning the ball inside the 5 that coaches would rather have some breathing room, even if it is only 5 yards. This is exactly how it is played in the NFL too. Guys on Sunday are fair catching balls at the 5 to save the couple more yards they would otherwise give up.

Now of course kick trajectory and coverage play a part in that too. The one Jordan fielded at the 2 which slso took his momentum backward was ill advised. That woukd have been an easy touchback. I'm glad he didn't get too down on himself though because the one he took back later for like 30+ yards showed what he can do.

As for not using him at all in the passing game? Makes no sense to me. The coaches seem to have no idea how to use Scarver anyway so we may as well have someone on the field with hands. I feel like the staff put him in a box based on body size and then decided DT and Bowling already fill that need. While both of them have performed well it seems like there would be some opportunities to get Nathan and KVL involved a little.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Aggiefan33

bull

Post by bull » September 25th, 2021, 11:05 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 10:38 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Maybe Nebraska should look into it! haha
These users thanked the author bull for the post:
FloridaAggie13

bull

Post by bull » September 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm

Fair catch inside the 5 is stupid. You’re guaranteeing you are pinned inside the 5 (best case). Let it land and you have a chance it goes in to the end zone.

bull

Post by bull » September 25th, 2021, 11:14 pm

Also Scarver dropped that ball in end zone. It drives me crazy that dude is on the field as a receiver. Also I think it really messes with quarterbacks when Balls bounce off the hands of receivers for an INT.
Honestly the receivers a bad day altogether, even Tompkins alligator arms one across the middle. Nathan should be playing.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 25th, 2021, 11:14 pm

bull wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm
Fair catch inside the 5 is stupid. You’re guaranteeing you are pinned inside the 5 (best case). Let it land and you have a chance it goes in to the end zone.
Or even a chance it bounces back towards the punter
Last edited by brownjeans on September 27th, 2021, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2021, 4:55 am

coolag wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 9:40 pm
I've been hard on Jordan but can admit it is ridiculous that scarver plays and Jordan does not. Scarver literally has the worst hands for a receiver I have ever seen and quite frankly his kick returns have been abysmal as well. And while McGriff has had some good moments he can't be counted on to catch the ball consistently.
I'm beginning to wonder if Scarver's huge season was more a result of scheme than his actual ability as a return man.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

KoryBowling
Has thanked: 0

Post by KoryBowling » September 27th, 2021, 6:00 am

aggies22 wrote:
coolag wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if Scarver's huge season was more a result of scheme than his actual ability as a return man.
I debated posting anything yesterday for many reasons. Here is my perspective:

Offensive issues are not as easy to fix. Boise did a good job exposing us. The issue is our outside WR’s pose no threat to the defense. Route running is not great. McGriff has all the intangibles but will not use his size against a DB in tight coverage. The ball was a little high on Saturday but he definitely was protecting against a big hit. Sorry but if you go across the middle, then that’s the job. Scarver is a great KR but again routes are not precise and hands are not where they need to be. So expect to continue to see Safeties sit over the top of our slot WR’s. Scarver has 2 catches for 14 yards in the season. His only job is to be a threat. Wright is awesome but he doesn’t have deep threat speed. I’m not sure why Jordan is not playing more. The only knock is his size for the outside but if he can catch and is as fast as he appears then we should play him.

Boise exposed this and put tremendous pressure on both QB’s. Peasley was dead before the plays started. They do not respect his accuracy so that put a spy on him and rushed more than we could block. Bonner did the best he could with only two WR options. There were trick plays built in that never got off due to penalties.

On the punt return - Maybe Jordan just thought he could make a play. As the parent of a punt returner it is extremely stressful and mistakes are super imposed. I trust Jordan to make a play and he did later on. I hope we will use him more because I believe he has proven to be a great player and can help us win.

The best WR’s on this team are inside type players. Jordan, DT, Brandon, KVL. Wright is awesome just a bit limited. This will only get fixed with recruiting. Cefalo is one of the best at knowing what he needs and teaching it the proof is on the record at previous stops.

We are still 3-1. Every team has a bad week and I think this was ours and we got exposed. We will have to overcome that but I also believe that Boise may have the best back end of any defense we will play the rest of the season.

Go Aggies.

These users thanked the author KoryBowling for the post (total 9):
aggies22BustaMcNuttFloridaAggie13newtonianblueAggie84025Aggie19brossp24Aggiefan33AussieAggieDad

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2021, 6:11 am

KoryBowling wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 6:00 am
aggies22 wrote:
coolag wrote:

Offensive issues are not as easy to fix. Boise did a good job exposing us. The issue is our outside WR’s pose no threat to the defense. Route running is not great. McGriff has all the intangibles but will not use his size against a DB in tight coverage. The ball was a little high on Saturday but he definitely was protecting against a big hit. Sorry but if you go across the middle, then that’s the job. Scarver is a great KR but again routes are not precise and hands are not where they need to be. So expect to continue to see Safeties sit over the top of our slot WR’s. Scarver has 2 catches for 14 yards in the season. His only job is to be a threat. Wright is awesome but he doesn’t have deep threat speed. I’m not sure why Jordan is not playing more. The only knock is his size for the outside but if he can catch and is as fast as he appears then we should play him.

Boise exposed this and put tremendous pressure on both QB’s. Peasley was dead before the plays started. They do not respect his accuracy so that put a spy on him and rushed more than we could block. Bonner did the best he could with only two WR options. There were trick plays built in that never got off due to penalties.

On the punt return - Maybe Jordan just thought he could make a play. As the parent of a punt returner it is extremely stressful and mistakes are super imposed. I trust Jordan to make a play and he did later on. I hope we will use him more because I believe he has proven to be a great player and can help us win.

The best WR’s on this team are inside type players. Jordan, DT, Brandon, KVL. Wright is awesome just a bit limited. This will only get fixed with recruiting. Cefalo is one of the best at knowing what he needs and teaching it the proof is on the record at previous stops.

We are still 3-1. Every team has a bad week and I think this was ours and we got exposed. We will have to overcome that but I also believe that Boise may have the best back end of any defense we will play the rest of the season.

Go Aggies.

Thanks for your insight Kory. I think the coaching staff is smart enough that they will find a way to avoid the clamps that Boise put on the offense in the second half.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 27th, 2021, 6:41 am

coolag wrote:
At least the crime dog is a blocking machine on runs. He’s a nightmare for whoever is lined up in front of him on run plays.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
AgMac

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 27th, 2021, 6:49 am

Yeah, I have no problem playing McGriff. He adds something(height) that is so unique. Passing to him may only work half the time, but when it works out it works very well. On top of that he is a decent blocker.

Scarcer is the real head scratcher. I get that if he outs out there the defense has to account for his speed or something like that. But you would think the defense would be more concerned about someone who could catch the ball. It seems lazy by the coaching staff, "hey we have an all american returner, he must be one of the best players so we should get him on the field as often as we can."

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 27th, 2021, 6:52 am

Neither Scarver or McGriff can catch the ball with consistency. I could be wrong, but catching the ball is the primary skillset required of a receiver.

McGriff's height is useless if he doesn't use it and by now it is obvious he doesn't.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 27th, 2021, 7:01 am

Mcgriff has caught 14 passes this year. He does drop some but I would guess he catches at least half of his passes. Scarver has 2 receptions this year, and I can think of at least 2 drops just last game, so he must be well below 50%. He should not be playing WR while Nathan is on the bench. The guy has skill as a returner.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2021, 7:35 am

KoryBowling wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
coolag wrote:

Go Aggies.

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Your son has played really well so far this season.

KoryBowling
Has thanked: 0

Post by KoryBowling » September 27th, 2021, 8:51 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
KoryBowling wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
coolag wrote:

Go Aggies.

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Your son has played really well so far this season.
Man, this our last ride and we as a family couldn’t be happier. Everyone has been so nice and welcoming. He loves all of his teammates and he is really enjoying playing here. Excited for the next 8 games + 2 more after that!!

These users thanked the author KoryBowling for the post (total 4):
brossp24Aggie19aggies22PIGSKINAGGIE

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 27th, 2021, 9:26 am

Put an O lineman or two back there, put the receivers at mid field, if they kick the ball down towards the EZ have the big dudes just block out to hopefully let the ball bounce into the EZ, it’s better than risking a dropped catch or a safety, that’s for sure.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 27th, 2021, 9:32 am

This conversation just reminds me of another terrible night facing Air Force. Moats was a good player for us, but that was not his night.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 27th, 2021, 9:34 am

KoryBowling wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 8:51 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
KoryBowling wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
coolag wrote:

Go Aggies.

Man, this our last ride and we as a family couldn’t be happier. Everyone has been so nice and welcoming. He loves all of his teammates and he is really enjoying playing here. Excited for the next 8 games + 2 more after that!!

I agree about Boise having the best back end. Once they stopped playing soft they were tough to throw against underneath and took advantage of Bonner's deep game limitations and came after Peasley to take away his improvisation and deep ball.

I think Nathan has been pigeonholed into a slot guy unfairly and the Aggies should be getting their top 4-5 receivers on the field even they lack size especially as Bonner's talents aren't really taking advantage of the taller receivers. He is not good on placement any time he is trying any sort of back shoulder or fade or jump ball type routes. If teams respected Scarver's speed it would be different because it opens up single coverage to Thompkins but they don't and Bowling's dad was exactly right about him thinking about a hit that wasn't even coming on the INT.

I hope their is some reevaluation about skill personell and getting the best guys on the field together rather than playing guys based on outside receiver stereotypes. THe biggest disappointment for me when Boise was bracketing Deven and playing everyone else tight in the second half was not utilizing Terrell. He can open things up for the offense a lot if used heavily. He seemed to be an important outlet for Peasley last week.

I think things will change drastically agains the Zoobs and we will be pleasantly surprised. They have lost some key guys on D and have an average secondary. They will have to bracket Thompkins again and they don't have the horses to cover him that way or deal with the single coverage it creates elsewhere.

Locked Previous topicNext topic