Would you rather?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FalseStart

Would you rather?

Post by FalseStart » September 22nd, 2021, 10:14 pm

Have the best basketball team in the country? Or have a top 5 football program? (this is assuming you prefer football, if you prefer basketball then switch the question).

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Would you rather?

Post by aggies22 » September 22nd, 2021, 10:15 pm

Top 5 football.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » September 22nd, 2021, 10:20 pm

Top 5 baskfootball

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » September 22nd, 2021, 10:22 pm

Football

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 22nd, 2021, 10:32 pm

Are we talking a single season, or an extended period of time?

If the latter, I’d pick Top 5 football program. The $$$ would make all of our programs (including basketball) really damn good over the long haul, and would help the university a ton.

If we are talking just a single season, I’d rather win the NCAA Tournament than be the G5 participant in a single access bowl.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 7):
USUMAELoveMyAggiesaggies22Aggie19JSHarveygomretatNowhereLandAggie

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » September 22nd, 2021, 10:36 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 10:32 pm

If the latter, I’d pick Top 5 football program. The $$$ would make all of our programs (including basketball) really damn good over the long haul, and would help the university a ton.

If we are talking just a single season, I’d rather win the NCAA Tournament than be the G5 participant in a single access bowl.
That's my thought as well. Although annual NCAA basketball champions for a number of consecutive years would be tempting.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 22nd, 2021, 10:36 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Are we talking a single season, or an extended period of time?

This is the correct answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
AggieBlues

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 22nd, 2021, 11:39 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Yeah, hard to disagree with this.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » September 23rd, 2021, 1:18 am

Definitely top 5 football simply because the NCAA basketball tournament is single elimination. The best team rarely wins the NCAA tournament. In a single elimination format, all it takes is one bad game and you are headed home even if you would have beaten your opponent 9 out of 10 times. Even if you clearly have the #1 basketball program in the country, you will probably make the Final Four no more than 50-60% of the time and win a title maybe once per decade. But if you have a top 5 football program, you will be going to a NY6 bowl almost every year and the playoffs more often than not. That's fantastic exposure and money for the program even if you never win a title. Honestly, when it comes down to it, you probably have a better chance of winning a title as a top-5 football program rather than the clear #1 basketball program simply because it takes two wins to get a football title but six to get a basketball title. Winning two games in a row is much easier than winning six games in a row.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 23rd, 2021, 1:26 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 1:18 am
Definitely top 5 football simply because the NCAA basketball tournament is single elimination. The best team rarely wins the NCAA tournament. In a single elimination format, all it takes is one bad game and you are headed home even if you would have beaten your opponent 9 out of 10 times. Even if you clearly have the #1 basketball program in the country, you will probably make the Final Four no more than 50-60% of the time and win a title maybe once per decade. But if you have a top 5 football program, you will be going to a NY6 bowl almost every year and the playoffs more often than not. That's fantastic exposure and money for the program even if you never win a title. Honestly, when it comes down to it, you probably have a better chance of winning a title as a top-5 football program rather than the clear #1 basketball program simply because it takes two wins to get a football title but six to get a basketball title. Winning two games in a row is much easier than winning six games in a row.
Yes, if “best basketball team” doesn’t mean NCAA Tourney champs in the hypothetical, this changes the equation.

If we are talking just a single season, I would actually still take even just a Final Four over a single access bowl win. I’d probably take an access bowl win over a Sweet 16, but it’s close. Those are comparable accomplishments, IMO.

The NCAA Tourney is such a magical thing and the greatest spectacle in sports. It’s really a shame COVID took away our best chance at a Sweet 16 in my lifetime…

Here’s one that I’m struggling with — Mountain West Football Championship, or single win in the NCAA Tournament? I’m honestly leaning single tourney win.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 23rd, 2021, 4:46 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 1:26 am
Here’s one that I’m struggling with — Mountain West Football Championship, or single win in the NCAA Tournament? I’m honestly leaning single tourney win.
I can't imagine a school with football being the primary following ever saying they'd take an NCAA tournament win over a conference championship in football.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 23rd, 2021, 8:26 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 4:46 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
I can't imagine a school with football being the primary following ever saying they'd take an NCAA tournament win over a conference championship in football.
Well, I'm here to blow your mind. After sleeping on it, I am 100% team NCAA Tourney win on this. Neither is going to be something so mind-blowing that it changes our stars significantly in the long-term scheme. Now, if we were the highest rated G5 and winning the conference title = access bowl appearance, I'd take the conference title over the tourney win. If we were 9-3 or something and were just going to the Jimmy Kimmel Bowl, I'd absolutely prefer the NCAA tourney win.

I am on record that I like basketball more, so take that with a grain of salt.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyLarryTheAggiegomretat

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 23rd, 2021, 9:32 am

Yes

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 23rd, 2021, 9:55 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

Alabama basketball (and other sec programs) being good examples of this.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 23rd, 2021, 10:04 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 8:26 am

Is your assessment based on you just being a basketball fan or do you have another rationale for it?

I'm pretty sure that even without Boise State's payouts from "BCS" bowls, they'd choose conference championship every time. And I'd bet that they have earned more from winning conference championships than they would've otherwise, but I have no data to prove it.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » September 23rd, 2021, 10:15 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

My knee jerk answer is basketball because I am a much bigger fan of hoops but this is a better answer.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » September 23rd, 2021, 10:17 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 8:26 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 4:46 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Well, I'm here to blow your mind. After sleeping on it, I am 100% team NCAA Tourney win on this. Neither is going to be something so mind-blowing that it changes our stars significantly in the long-term scheme. Now, if we were the highest rated G5 and winning the conference title = access bowl appearance, I'd take the conference title over the tourney win. If we were 9-3 or something and were just going to the Jimmy Kimmel Bowl, I'd absolutely prefer the NCAA tourney win.

Tournament win for me as well.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 23rd, 2021, 11:53 am

Football success would ultimately lead to BB success, not the other way around, so FB for sure! It drives the bus.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » September 23rd, 2021, 12:16 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 11:53 am
Football success would ultimately lead to BB success, not the other way around, so FB for sure! It drives the bus.
Football, every time. Would agree with the above. Football success translates to success and facilities for other sports.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » September 23rd, 2021, 1:14 pm

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 12:16 pm
ViAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 11:53 am
Football, every time. Would agree with the above. Football success translates to success and facilities for other sports.
I am not sure that USC, Auburn, Clemson, Miami, or Penn State would always agree.

Those and many "football" schools have only sporadic success with basketball.

Only Florida has ever won a NCAA tournament and a finished #1 in the AP poll in the same year. Often it is one or the other.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 23rd, 2021, 2:17 pm

A USU football team that good is still going to be snubbed and not get invited to the four-team playoff. They'd likely go to a BCS bowl, which is nice - but I'd take a USU national-champion basketball team over that.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » September 23rd, 2021, 2:42 pm

FalseStart wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 10:14 pm
Have the best basketball team in the country? Or have a top 5 football program? (this is assuming you prefer football, if you prefer basketball then switch the question).
So not a perfect comparison, but this got me thinking. Would I rather have the success of Gonzaga's basketball program over the last four seasons, or the UCF program over the last four years. Just on field/court achievement, I'd say Gonzaga, but the impact that UCF's football success has had is tempting. Not sure that Gonzaga has the "best" basketball program, and UCF isn't a top 5 program, but both have had great runs.

If you were to tell me I could have the success that Alabama or Clemson has had over the last 4 years in football or the basketball success Gonzaga has had, it would be hands down football.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 23rd, 2021, 3:21 pm

If it’s just a one time “flash-in-the-pan” season, I’d take the basketball success simply because I like basketball better. I don’t consider finances cause an unsustainable one-year thing isn’t going to change USU’s stars significantly enough for me to factor it in. So it’s just my personal enjoyment of each option that I am considering.

If it’s sustained success as a Top 5 football program over a decade then hands down that because the money there does so much more for the university and other sports.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
ProvoAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 23rd, 2021, 3:38 pm

Under the current system in college football, we could go 52 - 0 over the past 4 years and still not be invited to the four-team playoff.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic