upadated conference realignment

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Agzrule

upadated conference realignment

Post by Agzrule » September 20th, 2021, 10:07 am

Sounds like AFA and CSU to AAC is pretty far along. Did anyone else listen to pregame interview with Hartwell? It sounds like they do have expansion plans and are looking into adding teams in Texas?

Aggie702

Re: upadated conference realignment

Post by Aggie702 » September 20th, 2021, 10:13 am

Do you have a link to article? AFA and CSU to AAC makes no sense to me (other than AFA being in same conference as Navy, who they already play each year anyways?).

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 20th, 2021, 10:24 am

I can see AF going to the AAC, but CSU? Why? Whatever. If they go, it won't hurt the MW too much.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ustate98
Pick'em Champ - '13 WTHCG

Post by ustate98 » September 20th, 2021, 10:26 am

While AFA going wouldn't disappoint me much I'll hate to see CSU leave. Though like everyone has said I don't understand how or why they'd see it as a move up. CSU is one of my favorite conference games.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 20th, 2021, 10:32 am

If it costs CSU to get rid of AFA and that is it that we lose...it is a net positive.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieaggies223rdGenAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » September 20th, 2021, 10:35 am

How funny would it be if we took Memphis and SMU moments after CSU and AFA leave?
These users thanked the author ... for the post (total 3):
aggies22Blue Sage3rdGenAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 20th, 2021, 10:38 am

That's a bizarre move. Why does CSU/AFA want the AAC? On the flip side, why does thee AAC want CSU/AFA? Build your conference with regional peers. The money isn't there to make it worth it for anyone. Of course, CSU hasn't shown the best judgement with their money. See the $250M stadium that they are trying to finance...
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 20th, 2021, 10:54 am

AFA to the AAC does make some sense because AFA as a service academy has a wider appeal and can take their game on the road anywhere, the only regional significant is in Colorado Springs itself, otherwise it's pretty much a national brand, so being in a regional conference doesn't really matter to them. Also getting rid of them for Oly sports is a plus to the MWC, they are dead weight. I'd LMAO if they accepted a FB only invite and did something stupid like joining the Summit League, but nuttier things have happened. Hell at one time Tulane was a member of the SEC before they were a big thing, dumber conference moves have been made. CSU makes no sense at all especially considering that Colorado is more culturally aligned with the west coast than they are in the plains and east coast, but hey, don't let the door hit ya...
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 20th, 2021, 10:56 am

Agzrule wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:07 am
Sounds like AFA and CSU to AAC is pretty far along. Did anyone else listen to pregame interview with Hartwell? It sounds like they do have expansion plans and are looking into adding teams in Texas?
Do you have a link for that interview?

The only team that makes sense from Texas is smu then one more for travel purposes.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 20th, 2021, 11:00 am

Not sad about AFA, but I would like to keep CSU. I liked playing them, especially in basketball.

I'm glad the MWC will be mostly remain intact, but what's the next move? We need to start thinking about Boise and SDSU moving soon.

Go Aggies!

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 20th, 2021, 11:11 am

slcagg wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:56 am
Agzrule wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:07 am
Do you have a link for that interview?

The only team that makes sense from Texas is smu then one more for travel purposes.
I do not have a link but would assume its on the 1280 app somewhere

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 20th, 2021, 11:14 am

Aggie702 wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:13 am
Do you have a link to article? AFA and CSU to AAC makes no sense to me (other than AFA being in same conference as Navy, who they already play each year anyways?).
no but it is out there on twitter

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 20th, 2021, 11:25 am

ViAggie wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:54 am
AFA to the AAC does make some sense because AFA as a service academy has a wider appeal and can take their game on the road anywhere, the only regional significant is in Colorado Springs itself, otherwise it's pretty much a national brand, so being in a regional conference doesn't really matter to them. Also getting rid of them for Oly sports is a plus to the MWC, they are dead weight. I'd LMAO if they accepted a FB only invite and did something stupid like joining the Summit League, but nuttier things have happened. Hell at one time Tulane was a member of the SEC before they were a big thing, dumber conference moves have been made. CSU makes no sense at all especially considering that Colorado is more culturally aligned with the west coast than they are in the plains and east coast, but hey, don't let the door hit ya...
In my opinion losing only AFA would be a best case scenario, I like being in the same conference as CSU. AFA basketball is a drag on our conference NET/RPI ratings, addition by subtraction. If I'm in charge of MWC, assuming we lose only AFA, I look to add better TV markets (UTSA, UNT) for football and also look to add good basketball programs (UNT,UTEP). I am not convinced any of these Texas schools would join alone, maybe UTEP, but they would be my last choice unless we lose only AFA we could add all three?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 20th, 2021, 11:27 am

Agzrule wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 11:25 am
ViAggie wrote:
In my opinion losing only AFA would be a best case scenario, I like being in the same conference as CSU. AFA basketball is a drag on our conference NET/RPI ratings, addition by subtraction. If I'm in charge of MWC, assuming we lose only AFA, I look to add better TV markets (UTSA, UNT) for football and also look to add good basketball programs (UNT,UTEP). I am not convinced any of these Texas schools would join alone, maybe UTEP, but they would be my last choice unless we lose only AFA we could add all three?
Disagree. Looking at those teams results and attendance they add nothing. Including being in a tv market that does not care about them. What elevates a conference is competitiveness and those teams do none that.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
apoShowMeAggieAggieFBObsession

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » September 20th, 2021, 11:38 am

Staying at 10 is cool for football. You could get a true 9 game conference round robin schedule.

Personally, I would dig the 9 team oly sports lineup. However, that would mean a 16 conference games schedule. The MW voted for 20 so I would guess the add would be non football schools.

I don't think Gonzaga would be interested so I am not sure who would be a good add..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
AggieFBObsession

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 20th, 2021, 11:40 am

ViAggie wrote:
Is this true? Do they bolster attendance when they play at USU? I could maybe see it in a city with an air force base, but their attendance in Colorado Springs would say otherwise (4 air force/space force installations with another base in Denver).

Aggies All the Way!

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » September 20th, 2021, 11:59 am

If AFA goes to AAC I would guess Army joins also. I guess CSU would go to keep AFA but they would lose a Wyoming in the process. Don’t see why AAC would want a consistent losing football program like CSU.

MWC should try to get Gonzaga and St Mary’s for hoops.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 20th, 2021, 12:11 pm

I listened to the interview from Hartwell. It sounds like there have been discussions on how to proceed with AF/CSU leave. It was actually really encouraging to hear the conversation. Quite Frankly if they do leave having a 10 team conference is not bad although we should probably do what we can to bolster the conference and prevent more poaching. He made it sound if they expand it would be to a new location (market), I am guessing Texas. I would love to bring in Montana, i think they would be a solid addition, but bring in nothing from a TV market standpoint.

ustate98
Pick'em Champ - '13 WTHCG

Post by ustate98 » September 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm

I just read the CSU board a little, doesn't sound like it's a move their fans are wanting.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm

ustate98 wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm
I just read the CSU board a little, doesn't sound like it's a move their fans are wanting.
Especially there older fans who love the tradition of the playing WYO, AF and USU on a regular basis and love the regional rivalry aspect of it.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionAggie19

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 20th, 2021, 12:36 pm

ustate98 wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm
I don’t blame them. For what? MAYBE a little more money. Have fun traveling to Tulane who no one in Louisiana cares about.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » September 20th, 2021, 12:49 pm

I simply do not understand the CSU thing (assuming it is correct). Back in the late 90’s, I went to lunch with Bruce Van De Velde when he was the AD at USU. At the time, he told me that Colorado had a standing invitation to join the PAC-10. Logistically and academically, that made and still makes sense. On the other hand, it makes zero sense for CSU to go the opposite direction and join the AAC. There are no natural or current rivals and or academic peers that I can see. I’m guessing that CSU believes they will get more TV time on the East Coast by moving. And that by being seen by more people, in conjunction with their shiny new stadium, this will get them more attention when the next inevitable expansion occurs and “AAA” football comes into being. IMO, we will be seeing them back sooner than later and they will have an even worse football program. “Lipstick on a pig” comes to mind when I consider this rumor.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 20th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Invite SMU and UTSA and move on. Wont miss playing AF every year.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
2004AG

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » September 20th, 2021, 12:52 pm

The loss must have really stung for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 20th, 2021, 12:55 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 10:32 am
If it costs CSU to get rid of AFA and that is it that we lose...it is a net positive.
Agreed 100%. Especially as long as Calhoun is there. Dirty coach.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 20th, 2021, 1:01 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 12:51 pm
How is Utsa different than sjsu?

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 20th, 2021, 1:13 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:01 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
A few differences:

-UTSA endowment is 180M, SJSU is 140M
-UTSA enrollment is 34k, SJSU enrollment is 32K
-UTSA plays in the alamodome (64K capacity), SJSU plays in.... well if you've been there, you know
-Texas (MW has zero presence here), The Bay area (MW has two other CA schools)
aggies22

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 20th, 2021, 1:14 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:13 pm
slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
A few differences:

-UTSA plays in the alamodome (64K capacity), SJSU plays in.... well if you've been there, you know
So they are essentially the same?
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
ProvoAggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 20th, 2021, 1:21 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
A few differences:

I appreciate the feedback

How do the top 2 impact anything? 2k on enrollment…cmon now you are splitting hairs.

Capacity does not matter if you aren’t even close to filling it let alone they don’t have their own stadium.

The last point is a decent point. However imo the only school that really provides any credibility in Texas is smu. Otherwise Utsa will be a drag to our conference athletically at least vs historical numbers.

Either way this is just a fun discussion point unless we see some smoke.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 20th, 2021, 1:22 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:14 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
A few differences:

I see no appeal with any of the Texas schools except for SMU (duh, but they aren’t coming), maybe North Texas (they are respectable in basketball and football), and maybe UTEP (historically good at basketball).

UTSA, Rice, and Texas St = :puke:

Would much prefer Montana and Montana St to any of the Texas schools.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on September 20th, 2021, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 20th, 2021, 1:23 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
A few differences:

For the record, I don't have a problem with SJSU being in the conference. But I don't think they're the same either. I'd be good with Tulsa as well. I really do not care much if AF and CSU leave the conference as long as we were able to replace them with a combo the likes of those schools.

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » September 20th, 2021, 1:24 pm

The people in Texas care more about football than the people in California.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 20th, 2021, 1:25 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:21 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
A few differences:

I appreciate the feedback

How do the top 2 impact anything? 2k on enrollment…cmon now you are splitting hairs.

Capacity does not matter if you aren’t even close to filling it let alone they don’t have their own stadium.

The last point is a decent point. However imo the only school that really provides any credibility in Texas is smu. Otherwise Utsa will be a drag to our conference athletically at least vs historical numbers.

Either way this is just a fun discussion point unless we see some smoke.
All fair. Like I mentioned as well, I don't think SJSU shouldn't be in the conference either. Although I'd like to keep CSU, I don't care much for AFA.
slcagg

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 20th, 2021, 1:25 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:23 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
A few differences:

For the record, I don't have a problem with SJSU being in the conference. But I don't think they're the same either. I'd be good with Tulsa as well. I really do not care much if AF and CSU leave the conference as long as we were able to replace them with a combo the likes of those schools.
Tulsa would be a solid “meh.”

I am looking at this from a competitive standpoint, not a market standpoint. Tulsa, UTSA, Rice, and Texas St. are not teams I am interested in scheduling.

SJSU is fine in the conference. But I don’t just want a couple Texas versions of SJSU. Add teams that fit the footprint and help our league as a basketball league. That’s a long-term model for success. It’ll never happen because football TV dollars.

But adding the realistically available Texas schools and Tulsa hurts rather than helps us get to the NCAA tourney. Maybe UTEP is one exception?

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 20th, 2021, 1:31 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:25 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 1:23 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
A few differences:

Tulsa would be a solid “meh.”

I am looking at this from a competitive standpoint, not a market standpoint. Tulsa, UTSA, Rice, and Texas St. are not teams I am interested in scheduling.
Well, we'd agree on Rice and Texas St. then. I'd be ok with Memphis because they're solid (but they aren't going to come to the MW). I guess the difference in sentiments regarding "expansion" or conference mates really comes down to who we think we are. I don't see USU getting an invite to any larger conference, that's just me. I'm good with a solid regional conference.

Locked Previous topicNext topic