Week 3: How I'm ranking the MWC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Week 3: How I'm ranking the MWC

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 19th, 2021, 10:49 am

1. Fresno State 3-1
Fresno State 40-UCLA 37
Jake Haener had 455 yds passing and 2TDs with a late, heroic drive after a hip pointer to seal the game for the Bulldogs. Haener is now averaging 366 yds passing per game and leads the MWC in this area and also leads the MWC in total offense. Fresno State is now #2 in total offense and #1 in total defense in the MWC.
Next game: Friday hosting UNLV

2. Boise State 1-2
Boise State 20-Oklahoma State 21
Yes, still #2, even though the Broncos only rushed for 61 yds against Ok St. I’m unphased by the loss to the Broncos. They still belong here. The Broncos have thrown 2 INTs on the year while intercepting 5.
Next game: Saturday at Utah State

3. San Jose State 2-1
San Jose State 17-Hawaii 13
Starkel definitely didn’t have one of his best games. Threw 235 yds, 2TDs and 1 INT.
Next game: Saturday at Western Michigan who just beat Pittsburg.

4. SDSU 3-0
SDSU 33-Utah 31
SDSU held Utah to 70 yards rushing in this game. The SDSU defense is stout again. Like Boise State, they have 5 INTs on the year. SDSU only had 44 yards passing, but was still able to win with 204 yards rushing. Jordan Brookshire, QB, is dead last in the MWC in passing. Talk about a 1-dimensional offense.
Next game: Saturday hosting Townson

5. Utah State 3-0
Utah State 49-Air Force 45
Had the Aggies won this game in a more controlled fashion and not under desperate circumstances, I would’ve considered ranking them 3rd. See my Utah State blurb below.
Next game: Saturday hosting Boise State

6. Nevada 2-1
Nevada 17-Kansas State 38
The Wolf Pack got thrashed on the ground for 269 yards. Certainly not as bad as Utah State, but they couldn’t run the ball themselves, only 25 yds on the ground. Pathetic. They deserve the downgrade this week.
Next Game: Bye

7. Wyoming 3-0
Wyoming 45-Ball State 12
After scoring so many points, you’d think that they’d have great stats on the offensive side of the ball. Nope. They had 2 TDs scored by their defense in this game. Chad Muma, LB, had 12 tackles, 10 solo, 1 TFL and 1 TD. Chad leads the MWC in tackles, 33, ahead of Justin Rice with 30.
Next game: Saturday hosting UCONN (Easy win. UCONN is worse than most FCS schools and Wyoming should be 4-0 going into week 5.)

8. Air Force 2-1
Air Force 45-Utah State 49
Impressive performance by the Falcon offense. 617 total yards, 6 TDs. Air Force is now 4th in the MWC in total defense and offense.
Next game: Saturday hosting Florida Atlantic (Should be a W for the Falcons.)

9. Hawaii 1-3
Hawaii 13-SJSU 17
Against SJSU, Cordeiro had 242 yards passing and 0 TDs. The 0 TDs is a recipe for disaster for Hawaii.
Next game: Saturday at NMSU (Should get back to winning here.)

10. Colorado State 1-2
Colorado State 22-Toledo
Against the Rockets, the Rams couldn’t score an offensive touchdown. Their lone TD was scored on a punt return. Pathetic. The Rams have the NCAAs #1 prospect, however, at TE, Trey McBride, who led the Rams in receiving with 109 yards. The rest of the team had 1 yd receiving. Pathetic.
Next game: Saturday at Iowa (Rams looking at 1-3).

11. New Mexico 2-1
New Mexico 0-Texas A&M 34
We knew that the Lobos were going to lose. I expected that they may lose by a greater margin. However, and I have no stats to support this, the Lobos looked improved. They still struggle on offense because at the QB position they don’t have the passing ability that they need. However, I came away impressed with their overall effort against A&M.
Next game: Saturday at UTEP (big game for the MWC and winnable for the Lobos)

12. UNLV 0-3
UNLV 3-Iowa State 48
This team is just horrible. They’re the 2nd worst team on the Utah State schedule. Scheduling tougher is not helping them.
Next game: Friday at Fresno State

Utah State Blurb:
I love the gritty performance by the Aggies. What we’re seeing with the 4th Qtr performances is that this team is extremely well conditioned and put in a lot of work in the offseason. However, what we’re also seeing is that this team isn’t well designed for the triple option. The Aggies don’t have the depth at linebacker to run a 4-3-4 defense and plug gaps. This defense is designed to run a 4-2-5 with 5 dbs on the field. The Aggie defense is more designed to shut down spread offenses (3-4 WRs at a time) and even the run and shoot (4-5 WRs at a time) when we see it in Hawaii. Not looking ahead too far, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see a 3-man front often against Hawaii. The next test that the Aggies have is against Boise State and it’s going to be a tough one, tougher than BYU, IMO. Why? Because the Broncos typically run 1-2 TEs with 1-2 RBs. Yes, they haven’t blown anyone away with a spectacular running game as we’re used to seeing with the Broncos, but the capability is still there. And I’m very concerned that our defense is not stout enough and not disciplined enough. Also, we must take care of the ball against Boise State (they have 5 INTs on the year) and win the TO battle.
Last edited by AggieFBObsession on September 19th, 2021, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LarryTheAggie

Re: Week 3: How I'm ranking the MWC

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 19th, 2021, 11:02 am

Hard to argue. I would probably put 2. Sdsu. 3. Boise 4.usu. 5. sjsu right now though.

The MWC is having a great year despite Boise underperformimg. Fresno sure seems like at top 15 team. Sdsu, and usu could very well be ranked at some point if they keep playing like they are. Boise still should be respected. And Nevada and Sjsu are very good and could be ranked at some point to.

It would noy surprise me if we have three ranked teams at some point this season.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 19th, 2021, 11:13 am

Mine:

Fresno
Boise
San Jose
Sdsu
Nevada
USU
Air Force
Wyoming
CSU
Hawaii
UNM
Bye
Unlv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 19th, 2021, 12:17 pm

San Jose is far too high. San Jose has looked downright bad 2 of 3 weeks.

Yesterday against Hawaii they were painfully bad.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
FalseStart

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 19th, 2021, 12:33 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 19th, 2021, 12:17 pm
San Jose is far too high. San Jose has looked downright bad 2 of 3 weeks.

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt. Travelling to Hawaii and playing there is no easy task for anyone. This next game on the road against Western Michigan is going to be very telling. If they lose, they deserve a downgrade. If they lose badly, a severe downgrade. If they win, they deserve to stay where they are at the least. It's the perfect measuring stick game.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 19th, 2021, 12:36 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:San Jose is far too high. San Jose has looked downright bad 2 of 3 weeks.

Sdsu looked like they would lose to nmsu for a half. They only beat utah because utah is playing wet paper towels at all five OL positions. Maybe they should be ahead of sjsu though. But they've passed for 115, 183, and 44 yards.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 19th, 2021, 12:39 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 19th, 2021, 12:36 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:San Jose is far too high. San Jose has looked downright bad 2 of 3 weeks.

Sdsu looked like they would lose to nmsu for a half. They only beat utah because utah is playing wet paper towels at all five OL positions. Maybe they should be ahead of sjsu though. But they've passed for 115, 183, and 44 yards.

I can see the argument for SDSU being ranked lower at this point and honestly the same for SJSU. It's still a little early to understand this picture clearly. You're right, SDSU's passing game is pathetic, but they're a bit like Air Force. Their running attack is legit and so is their defense.

Locked Previous topicNext topic