Can I just say the MWC refs

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

Can I just say the MWC refs

Post by troutputz » September 18th, 2021, 10:54 pm

MWC officials are lousy refs. I have watched most of our games since being in the MWC, and the officials are just bad. How many times when we have played in Colorado Springs have we come away with injured players. Just too many!
The league needs to suspend that ref that didn’t make a call on a blatant illegal hit on Bonner. Air Force had a lot of late hits that wasn’t called. I always shutter when we play Colorado State, the refs just botch it up bad. Big Sky officials are better than the MWC. I know I am complaining to much but I tired of seeing our players getting hurt cause of late hits and targeting. I used to Loathe UNLV in basketball when Tark was there, but I Loathe Airforce and Calhoun in the same way. Let him leave our conference, I could care less about Airforce and especially Calhoun!

Also, why does Airforce’s coach hate us and the MWC so much? What did we do to tick him off against us?
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 4):
Sl7vkUSU78akaggieJSHarvey

coolag

Re: Can I just say the MWC refs

Post by coolag » September 18th, 2021, 11:10 pm

This post made my month.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
sam tingey

Regulator of Class

SLB

Post by SLB » September 18th, 2021, 11:11 pm

troutputz wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 10:54 pm
MWC officials are lousy refs. I have watched most of our games since being in the MWC, and the officials are just bad. How many times when we have played in Colorado Springs have we come away with injured players. Just too many!
The league needs to suspend that ref that didn’t make a call on a blatant illegal hit on Bonner. Air Force had a lot of late hits that wasn’t called. I always shutter when we play Colorado State, the refs just botch it up bad. Big Sky officials are better than the MWC. I know I am complaining to much but I tired of seeing our players getting hurt cause of late hits and targeting. I used to Loathe UNLV in basketball when Tark was there, but I Loathe Airforce and Calhoun in the same way. Let him leave our conference, I could care less about Airforce and especially Calhoun!

Also, why does Airforce’s coach hate us and the MWC so much? What did we do to tick him off against us?
The illegal hit on Bonner was the game changing moment because the refs got caught red-handed having Air Force bias then flags were called against Air Force after that.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 19th, 2021, 12:19 am

troutputz wrote:

Preach, you are absolutely correct. If they leave i would be glad to not play the anymore, especially not having to hear how hard AF has compared to the rest of the teams according to Douche Calhoun.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 19th, 2021, 6:15 pm

SLB wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 11:11 pm
troutputz wrote:

The illegal hit on Bonner was the game changing moment because the refs got caught red-handed having Air Force bias then flags were called against Air Force after that.
It was also a blessing in the sense that because of that hit, we now have our QB. Peasly is QB1, competition/ambiguity over.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 19th, 2021, 6:18 pm

MPC in full effect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 19th, 2021, 8:44 pm

I don’t like what appears to be bias in favor of afa either- but it’s not just a mwc issue.

I don’t typically hope people get fired, but that’s so bad and cannot be allowed to happen again.

In my opinion.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 20th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 19th, 2021, 8:44 pm
I don’t like what appears to be bias in favor of afa either- but it’s not just a mwc issue.

I don’t typically hope people get fired, but that’s so bad and cannot be allowed to happen again.

In my opinion.
Refs have gotten worse over the years. I am not surprise by any call like what you see there. I notice that refs will call flags like the one on the XP attempt by Air Force to falsely claim that they were fair for a number of years.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 20th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:

In my opinion.
The chain gang's job is to put up the right down and distance. That's beyond terrible. And ESPN didn't help anything with their coverage of it, because their camera angles were terrible and their commentary wasn't clear either.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » September 20th, 2021, 11:36 pm

It all went downhill when the refs got egos and decided they needed to affect games and that there are actually "philosophical" genres of reffing. (Not even kidding.) I blame the NBA, which was where I noticed it first. Traveling is traveling, every player is the same, regardless of name on jersey, and a hold is a hold. We also pay them way too much, to the point they believe that they and they alone can do the job. Making $1000 for a MWC basketball game makes them believe they're indispensable. I don't even want to know what football pays them. Time to add some competition to the mix and hold people accountable. Only then will things change.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 4):
USU78NavyBlueAggieSLBFloridaAggie13

SLB

Post by SLB » September 21st, 2021, 3:59 pm

Ahbye wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 11:36 pm
It all went downhill when the refs got egos and decided they needed to affect games and that there are actually "philosophical" genres of reffing. (Not even kidding.) I blame the NBA, which was where I noticed it first. Traveling is traveling, every player is the same, regardless of name on jersey, and a hold is a hold. We also pay them way too much, to the point they believe that they and they alone can do the job. Making $1000 for a MWC basketball game makes them believe they're indispensable. I don't even want to know what football pays them. Time to add some competition to the mix and hold people accountable. Only then will things change.
I would not even be surprised that there are refs bet on games that they ref (soccer refs got caught years ago doing this). MLB had serious issues with players doing this in the early days of MLB, and point shaving in basketball is a thing.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 21st, 2021, 6:06 pm

The back judge in the WSU game was spot on perfect throughout the night. She never missed a call and I got the feeling she could have managed the entire game herself. Built like a double barrel shotgun too. Hoping we get her again this year ;)

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » September 21st, 2021, 6:41 pm

Ahbye wrote:It all went downhill when the refs got egos and decided they needed to affect games and that there are actually "philosophical" genres of reffing. (Not even kidding.) I blame the NBA, which was where I noticed it first. Traveling is traveling, every player is the same, regardless of name on jersey, and a hold is a hold. We also pay them way too much, to the point they believe that they and they alone can do the job. Making $1000 for a MWC basketball game makes them believe they're indispensable. I don't even want to know what football pays them. Time to add some competition to the mix and hold people accountable. Only then will things change.
I have worked with terrific officials, and terrible ones, received lots of coaching, and doled plenty out. Games have gotten so fast with player development and rule changes. The ice hockey I officiate now is so different from when I bought my first sweater 25 years ago. People remember the goofs, hard to have a perfect game.

I can’t remember the amount of times there would be a flag on us, people in the Mav boo, replay shows clear PI or whatever, people then boo again. Officials aren’t against you, bias is limited, and to think they must be betting on the game because of the Serie A match fixing scandal or Shoeless Joe Jackson is childish.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Hail Aggies!

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » September 21st, 2021, 8:40 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 6:41 pm
Ahbye wrote:It all went downhill when the refs got egos and decided they needed to affect games and that there are actually "philosophical" genres of reffing. (Not even kidding.) I blame the NBA, which was where I noticed it first. Traveling is traveling, every player is the same, regardless of name on jersey, and a hold is a hold. We also pay them way too much, to the point they believe that they and they alone can do the job. Making $1000 for a MWC basketball game makes them believe they're indispensable. I don't even want to know what football pays them. Time to add some competition to the mix and hold people accountable. Only then will things change.
I have worked with terrific officials, and terrible ones, received lots of coaching, and doled plenty out. Games have gotten so fast with player development and rule changes. The ice hockey I officiate now is so different from when I bought my first sweater 25 years ago. People remember the goofs, hard to have a perfect game.

I can’t remember the amount of times there would be a flag on us, people in the Mav boo, replay shows clear PI or whatever, people then boo again. Officials aren’t against you, bias is limited, and to think they must be betting on the game because of the Serie A match fixing scandal or Shoeless Joe Jackson is childish.

Yeah, I'm not talking about those things that most of us acknowledge are the human factors that are inherent in any officiating. I was standing outside the refs locker room after a bball game with SDSU once, probably about 4 or 5 years ago now. Dave Hall (an egotistical, horrible piece of sh!! referee) was inside screaming at one of our event people about how he had deliberately swallowed his whistle in the closing minutes because we (police, athletics, and event services) didn't do anything about our fans chanting at him. It got so loud in there that I activated my body camera and went in to protect our event person because I thought it was going to get physical. He was so incensed that he didn't even care that I was in there with an obvious body camera. Said it didn't matter what we did because all the other officials felt the same.

Since then, Dave Hall consistently negatively affects our games to this day. Athletics had no interest in sending the bodycam to the league, probably because they knew Dave was right. These are the kinds of officials I'm talking about, not the ones who miss an occasional hold or don't have super-human vision.

People understand the human factor, and I highly doubt the dude in the AFA game tried to screen our player out. It's not about betting on games or anything like a lot of people think. It's about officials whose egos allow them to think that they are such an important factor in the game to the point that they're infuriated and unethically alter -not influence- alter the outcome of a game.

It has always been said that the best officiated games are those where neither side notices their presence.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 4):
USU78cdaAgAggieFBObsessioncrazywookie

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » September 23rd, 2021, 8:29 pm

Ahbye wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

Yeah, I'm not talking about those things that most of us acknowledge are the human factors that are inherent in any officiating. I was standing outside the refs locker room after a bball game with SDSU once, probably about 4 or 5 years ago now. Dave Hall (an egotistical, horrible piece of sh!! referee) was inside screaming at one of our event people about how he had deliberately swallowed his whistle in the closing minutes because we (police, athletics, and event services) didn't do anything about our fans chanting at him. It got so loud in there that I activated my body camera and went in to protect our event person because I thought it was going to get physical. He was so incensed that he didn't even care that I was in there with an obvious body camera. Said it didn't matter what we did because all the other officials felt the same.

Since then, Dave Hall consistently negatively affects our games to this day. Athletics had no interest in sending the bodycam to the league, probably because they knew Dave was right. These are the kinds of officials I'm talking about, not the ones who miss an occasional hold or don't have super-human vision.

People understand the human factor, and I highly doubt the dude in the AFA game tried to screen our player out. It's not about betting on games or anything like a lot of people think. It's about officials whose egos allow them to think that they are such an important factor in the game to the point that they're infuriated and unethically alter -not influence- alter the outcome of a game.

It has always been said that the best officiated games are those where neither side notices their presence.
Hard for me to blend in when I look like this on skatesImage

Hail Aggies!

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » September 24th, 2021, 12:35 am

:lol:
TheAKAggie wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 8:29 pm
Ahbye wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

Hard for me to blend in when I look like this on skatesImage

:lol:

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 24th, 2021, 5:47 am

Ahbye wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 8:40 pm
Amen! And thank you for the work you do on campus.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 24th, 2021, 6:24 am

Imakeitrain wrote:

In my opinion.
Reminds me of when the refs granted BYU 3 free throws in a women's game against USU in the Spectrum in 2018. No one caught it until after the game was over. IIRC the BYU player was fouled on a 2 point attempt. She shot and made one free throw and a timeout was called. After the timeout, she came back to shoot the final free throw attempt and the ref signaled for 2 more attempts. The BYU team looked confused and looked around for a second but went ahead and shot and made all 3 free throws. Somehow none of the USU coaches seemed to notice.

It cost USU the game. That extra point caused the game to go into overtime and the Aggies lost in overtime.

I'd like to think that the current staff wouldn't allow this to happen.

In this case, it was clear that it was not due to bias, but incompetence on the reffing crew's part. It was crazy to me that none of the three refs caught the error, and I also blame the USU staff and team for not bringing it up in the moment. I hope that the refs were reprimanded for the error, but have no knowledge if that occurred. Also, channeling my inner @GameFAQSAggie , this would have been a great example of an LDS Conference talk on honesty had the BYU team spoken up and told the refs that they were awarded an extra point. But alas, they smugly accepted the point and the unearned win on their record. :lol:

I will say that acting as a referee is extremely difficult. I have done so on one occasion in a church ball game. It was a terrible experience. It's a lot harder to see and call fouls while on the court among 10 players than I thought. Especially when you're the only ref on the court. But even I wouldn't have given a player an extra free throw erroneously. :disappointed:
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic