AAC making it's move on the MWC? Rumor

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LoveMyAggies

Re: AAC making it's move on the MWC? Rumor

Post by LoveMyAggies » September 15th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Agzrule wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Mike Aresco supposedly officially made his pitch to Boise State, Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State and Army. Rumor has it that they were all for football only. If that's true, it's already a non-starter.
Time to kill the threat, the AAC is down on its knees, invite Tulsa, Wichita State, and SMU to finish them off. Then we can go after Gonzaga and St. Marys
Agreed just swap memphis w St Mary’s
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post:
3rdGenAggie

LoveMyAggies

AAC making it's move on the MWC? Rumor

Post by LoveMyAggies » September 15th, 2021, 7:15 pm

bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:51 pm
GeoAg wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:33 pm
CSU is appealing for the Denver TV Market only.

If you are taking that much of the league I would have to ask is it really worth moving? The only one I can see considering it is AFA is army goes so they are all in a conference, but who would want AFA basketball? Nobody.
Does CSU really bring the Denver TV market? Isn't that just about the same as taking Utah State for the SLC market?

I don't see it.
I live about 10 miles south of the CSU campus. The answer is yes, they bring the Denver market. Their student body population is bigger than Utah State. They also don't have people who go to CSU who then root for CU, like Utah State does.

Clearly student body #’s, dont matter its the TV contacts with Espn/cbs who has the better alumni ratings and overall attendance. The Channels know their ratings, and where they get the best following. Answer those questions and we can tell you who is next on the todum pole

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 15th, 2021, 8:08 pm

I feel Thompson has done well to even have the MWC still here. I don't know if he is proactive or not. Not privy to that information. I was singing his praises with the playoff expansion, getting 4x more of n the tv contract. I don't have anything to complain about in the round of realignment and neither do any of you at this point. When I have something to complain about you'll know. I don't love the guy, but his performance from a USU perspective has been reasonable
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 15th, 2021, 9:45 pm

utaggies wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 6:56 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:21 pm
Lol, whatever. That would be a terrible move for all of them. Doubt SDSU wants their hoops going to the big west or whatever. CSU isn’t even good at football right now, not sure what’s appealing about them except for potential, I guess.
Re: CSU, it’s not about whether the Rammies are good at football right now. It’s about market share, location and other intangibles it might bring to a conference.
That's what I said, right? They just have potential. But even if they are using that dumb approach, why not invite UNLV instead? Way more potential there.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » September 15th, 2021, 10:20 pm

September 15th, 2021, 9:45 pm
utaggies wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 6:56 pm
September 15th, 2021, 12:21 pm
Lol, whatever. That would be a terrible move for all of them. Doubt SDSU wants their hoops going to the big west or whatever. CSU isn’t even good at football right now, not sure what’s appealing about them except for potential, I guess.
Re: CSU, it’s not about whether the Rammies are good at football right now. It’s about market share, location and other intangibles it might bring to a conference.
That's what I said, right? They just have potential. But even if they are using that dumb approach, why not invite UNLV instead? Way more potential there.
UNLV is an absolute train wreck of a football program. Going back 40 years you will find only a handful of seasons where the Rebels have played over .500. UNLV’s attendance is historically the second-worst in the conference — even accounting for fans of UNLV’s opponents who want a trip to the world’s gambling Mecca as well as watch a football game. As to the the quality of the university UNLV ranks far below CSU.

UNLV may rank above USU, Nevada, SJS and Wyoming as to “attractiveness” for another conference but IMO it ranks significantly lower than CSU, BSU, and SDS. Potential? Perhaps, but there is hardly a more sure bet in college football than betting on UNLV to lose.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 16th, 2021, 12:59 am

[/quote]
They also don't have people who go to CSU who then root for CU, like Utah State does.
[/quote]

Good point, we have WAY too many closet byu fans on this board :bangwall:

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 16th, 2021, 8:12 am

bpd wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

If you are taking that much of the league I would have to ask is it really worth moving? The only one I can see considering it is AFA is army goes so they are all in a conference, but who would want AFA basketball? Nobody.
Does CSU really bring the Denver TV market? Isn't that just about the same as taking Utah State for the SLC market?

I don't see it.
I live about 10 miles south of the CSU campus. The answer is yes, they bring the Denver market. Their student body population is bigger than Utah State. They also don't have people who go to CSU who then root for CU, like Utah State does.
I lived there, too. They don't bring the Denver market much. The majority of the Denver market are people from other states that don't care about college athletics. The broncos absolutely dominate sports coverage. The Rockies are a distant second, followed by the nuggets and avalanche. The universities get mentioned on sports radio less than Utah State does in Utah. I think the whole "market" argument isn't going to last forever, anyway. Somebody's going to figure out that they can actually stream all the games to make them available to everyone.

Aggies All the Way!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 16th, 2021, 8:20 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 8:12 am
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
I lived there, too. They don't bring the Denver market much. The majority of the Denver market are people from other states that don't care about college athletics. The broncos absolutely dominate sports coverage. The Rockies are a distant second, followed by the nuggets and avalanche. The universities get mentioned on sports radio less than Utah State does in Utah. I think the whole "market" argument isn't going to last forever, anyway. Somebody's going to figure out that they can actually stream all the games to make them available to everyone.
I think bpd points stands though about the whole BYU part of the equation.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 16th, 2021, 8:41 am

slcagg wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 8:20 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
Meh, the fans are lukewarm enough to not care, and will casually root for cu. The game they really get up for is the Wyoming game. And there are plenty of people in fort collins that are from Laramie or went to school there.

To illustrate my point, 104.3 the fan is the biggest sports radio station in the state, by my estimation. On their website, the last college related article was on July 8th (buried 30 pages deep). The last interview was August 25th. Both were CU related. I stopped reading the Denver Post when they put up a paywall, but it was similar when I read it. There are actually three articles on the Gazette (Colorado Springs) website about Air Force, which is the most I've seen in the 6 years I've been here. There is no hype, no season preview, no "60 in 60" type of off-season talk of which I'm aware. They don't carry the market at all. I've seen more coverage of high school football than college here.

Aggies All the Way!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 16th, 2021, 8:47 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 8:41 am
slcagg wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 8:20 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
Meh, the fans are lukewarm enough to not care, and will casually root for cu. The game they really get up for is the Wyoming game. And there are plenty of people in fort collins that are from Laramie or went to school there.

To illustrate my point, 104.3 the fan is the biggest sports radio station in the state, by my estimation. On their website, the last college related article was on July 8th. The last interview was August 25th. Both were CU related. I stopped reading the Denver post when they put up a paywall, but it was similar when I read it. There are actually three articles on the gazette (Colorado Springs) website about Air Force, which is the most I've seen in the 6 years I've been here. There is no hype, no season preview, no "60 in 60" type of off-season talk of which I'm aware. They don't carry the market at all. I've seen more coverage of high school football than college here.
I believe that. Denver seems like a professional sports town and a lot of move-ins from out of state that don’t have a tie csu. You make a solid point.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 16th, 2021, 8:50 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
No, a large portion of their student population isn’t emotion invested in Colorado College since birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 16th, 2021, 8:59 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 8:50 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
No, a large portion of their student population isn’t emotion invested in Colorado College since birth.

Ironically, I've heard more about Colorado College hockey in Colorado Springs than any other college sport. Even though they are terrible, they sponsor the local news sports segment out something.

Aggies All the Way!

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » September 16th, 2021, 9:30 am

bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
When I lived there got the vibe that everyone in Colorado only cares about the Broncos and the Rockies, so I'm not sure how much of the Denver market they'd really bring...

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 16th, 2021, 9:51 am

trombone_ninja wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 9:30 am
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
When I lived there got the vibe that everyone in Colorado only cares about the Broncos and the Rockies, so I'm not sure how much of the Denver market they'd really bring...
Sometimes it doesn't matter. See SJSU.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 16th, 2021, 9:52 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:38 pm
What is the buy out to leave the MWC? I can't imagine the TV deal added in with the huge increase in travel costs would make it even remotely worth it.
Suspect you're on to something here 84, something that would lend stability against league hoppers and conference realignment types. First the fee to join a conference, secondly, the exit fee for leaving a conference. These numbers alone should keep many schools from leaving a league and joining another in any sort of rapid sequence.
Last edited by NavyBlueAggie on September 16th, 2021, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 16th, 2021, 9:53 am

GeoAg wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 9:51 am
trombone_ninja wrote:
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
Not sure I follow you. Nobody's clamoring for SJSU and their market share. They're in the shadow of Stanford, anyway.

Aggies All the Way!

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 16th, 2021, 11:11 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 9:53 am
GeoAg wrote:
trombone_ninja wrote:
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
Not sure I follow you. Nobody's clamoring for SJSU and their market share. They're in the shadow of Stanford, anyway.
That is my point. Their performance and level of interest and what they deliver in their market is low, but they are in the MWC over Idaho, NMST, and a few west Texas teams because if that big market. Same situation for CSU

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » September 16th, 2021, 11:22 am

GeoAg wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 11:11 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
trombone_ninja wrote:
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
That is my point. Their performance and level of interest and what they deliver in their market is low, but they are in the MWC over Idaho, NMST, and a few west Texas teams because if that big market. Same situation for CSU
Great point! I have never really understood the thinking that CSU brings in so much more of a share of the "Denver" area. They are around the same distance as USU is from Utah, but you never hear the Aggies bringing in any kind of "Salt Lake" share. They are routinely mentioned as a next "possibility" addition to the Big 12. In 2019 they averaged 23,000 fans per game. I don't see that as an appealing addition?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 16th, 2021, 11:46 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
trombone_ninja wrote:
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
Yep, SJSU has certainly ridden the coattails of being located in a top 10 market all the way to membership in the MWC. They certainly haven't done anything in the last 40 years to merit it on the field or court. Sometimes delivering a market doesn't matter, just being located in one is good enough to show "potential".

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 16th, 2021, 11:55 am

GeoAg wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
trombone_ninja wrote:
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
This thread is why I think we need to be pro active and put the nail in the coffin of the AAC, even if it means taking a little less in tv money in the short term.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 16th, 2021, 12:10 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 11:11 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
trombone_ninja wrote:
bpd wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
Footprint too, anything west of Boise/Reno

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bpd

Post by bpd » September 16th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Regarding CSU-Yes Denver is a pro sports town, its Broncos, Broncos, and more Broncos and then everybody else including colleges. That said, CSU has a bigger student enrollment, bigger alumni base and many of those live in Denver. Denver is bigger than SLC... a fair amount bigger. Fort Collins is bigger than Logan... a fair amount bigger. Fort Collins is along the interstate and I can make it to Fort Collins from Downtown Denver or the airport (with no traffic) in 50-55 minutes. CSU and CU is struggling right now to bring eyes to the TV, not because there is no base, but because they are struggling in football. CSU, as you know has been struggling for awhile. Like everybody college team across the country, if and when they hire the right coach, their alumni will support them. When Sonny Lubbick was coaching them, they often had large crowds. I don't listen to 104.3 the Fan because all they talk is Broncos. I listen to 92.5 Altitude Sports Radio because, while they talk a lot of Broncos, they will mix in other sports. In fact, one of their hosts, Nate Kreckman, works for the MW. They will have a decent amount of CSU and CU personalities on the radio and they usually get a decent response to it.

Here is my point, there is potential there. Oh, and they don't have CSU alumni rooting for CU or AIr Force, like USU does. And it is not just BYU, I know a number of alumni who root for Utah, including a former athlete.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 16th, 2021, 12:55 pm

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 16th, 2021, 1:02 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 12:55 pm
And now an article

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ssion=true
The title of that article is misleading. It says the AAC is targeting Moutain West "Powers". Then it lists CSU. Is CSU a "power" school in the conference? What is their record in the last 10 years?

I'm assuming CSU is in these discussions based on potential, right? Because results don't show them to be much of a power:

Year/overall record (conference record)
2021 / 0-2 (0-0)
2020 / 1-3 (1-3)
2019 / 4-8 (3-5)
2018 / 3-9 (2-6)
2017 / 7-5 (5-3)
2016 / 7-5 (5-3)
2015 / 7-5 (5-3)
2014 / 10-3 (6-2)
2013 / 8-6 (5-3)
2012 / 4-8 (3-5)
2011 / 3-9 (1-6)

For comparison, here is USU's record during the same span:

2021 / 2-0 (0-0)
2020 / 1-5 (1-5)
2019 / 7-6 (6-2)
2018 / 11-2 (7-1)
2017 / 6-7 (4-4)
2016 / 3-9 (1-7)
2015 / 6-7 (5-3)
2014 / 10-4 (6-2)
2013 / 9-5 (7-1)
2012 / 11-2 (6-0)
2011 / 7-6 (5-2)

In this same span of recent years, USU has 48 conference wins and CSU has 36. And yet when considering conference expansion candidates, CSU is considered a "power" in the MW and USU isn't considered at all.
Last edited by Yossarian on September 16th, 2021, 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
travelingagg

Eutaw St. Aggie

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 16th, 2021, 1:04 pm

slcagg wrote:
And now an article

Article lists UAB along with 4 MWC teams as targets. Really?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 16th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Didn’t UAB temporarily end their football program. Are they really good now? How are they getting hype?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 16th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Just like how they were going to raid the Big XII?

But I have come around to 2004's view on this. We need to kneecap the AAC as a threat and take SMU and Tulsa/Memphis
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
Aggie840252004AGLarryTheAggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 16th, 2021, 1:55 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 1:26 pm

But I have come around to 2004's view on this. We need to kneecap the AAC as a threat and take SMU and Tulsa/Memphis
Have you read the Athletic's article from yesterday? The author seems to still think the AAC's is still better than the MW. We gotta finish the AAC off.....today.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 16th, 2021, 1:58 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 8:08 pm
I feel Thompson has done well to even have the MWC still here. I don't know if he is proactive or not. Not privy to that information. I was singing his praises with the playoff expansion, getting 4x more of n the tv contract. I don't have anything to complain about in the round of realignment and neither do any of you at this point. When I have something to complain about you'll know. I don't love the guy, but his performance from a USU perspective has been reasonable
This. Say what you will about Craig Thompson, but his league is the most stable G5 right now.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » September 16th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 1:02 pm
slcagg wrote:
And now an article

The title of that article is misleading. It says the AAC is targeting Moutain West "Powers". Then it lists CSU. Is CSU a "power" school in the conference? What is their record in the last 10 years?

I'm assuming CSU is in these discussions based on potential, right? Because results don't show them to be much of a power:

Year/overall record (conference record)
2021 / 0-2 (0-0)
2020 / 1-3 (1-3)
2019 / 4-8 (3-5)
2018 / 3-9 (2-6)
2017 / 7-5 (5-3)
2016 / 7-5 (5-3)
2015 / 7-5 (5-3)
2014 / 10-3 (6-2)
2013 / 8-6 (5-3)
2012 / 4-8 (3-5)
2011 / 3-9 (1-6)

For comparison, here is USU's record during the same span:

2021 / 2-0 (0-0)
2020 / 1-5 (1-5)
2019 / 7-6 (6-2)
2018 / 11-2 (7-1)
2017 / 6-7 (4-4)
2016 / 3-9 (1-7)
2015 / 6-7 (5-3)
2014 / 10-4 (6-2)
2013 / 9-5 (7-1)
2012 / 11-2 (6-0)
2011 / 7-6 (5-2)

In this same span of recent years, USU has 48 conference wins and CSU has 36. And yet when considering conference expansion candidates, CSU is considered a "power" in the MW and USU isn't considered at all.
+1

Since joining the MWC, we have averaged a better record than CSU in basketball, football, we're both R2 doctoral research institutions (and we rank #1 and #2 in research dollars compared to other MWC members), we're ranked higher than CSU in the Washington Monthly national rankings, we have a larger endowment, we've performed better in bowl games (USU 6 games (3-3); CSU 5 games (1-4)) (thanks, USU78), we have more active players in the NFL, only behind Boise State, and the list goes on.

When you combined athletics and academics, I would certainly place Colorado State above programs like Boise State, but I think among conference mates, we can argue we have way more similarities to schools like Colorado State and University than differences; we have myriad proof points that we're a better program to have in a conference than schools like SJSU, Hawaii, and the University of New Mexico.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 16th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Colorado State continually gets credit above their weight class based on their new stadium and fond memories of the 90s and early 2000s

And they have no integrity, changing their nickname back in the day

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 16th, 2021, 2:41 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Not tooting my own horn but I have been saying this from the beginning. Survival of the fittest.

Not sure the money pans out for smu and Memphis but hope we are having these conversations.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 16th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 1:58 pm
GeoAg wrote:
This. Say what you will about Craig Thompson, but his league is the most stable G5 right now.
The obvious follow-up questions are, is the MWC the most stable G5 because of something Thompson did, or other reasons such as geography and/or market sizes?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 16th, 2021, 2:56 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 2:54 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
The obvious follow-up questions are, is the MWC the most stable G5 because of something Thompson did, or other reasons such as geography and/or market sizes?
He scuttled the WAC, and hasn't expanded beyond the geographic boundaries that you cite. He also held on to SDSU and Boise a few years ago. While he's not perfect, I'd say he's done some good things for the mountain west as a whole.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggies All the Way!

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 16th, 2021, 3:02 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 2:56 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 2:54 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
He scuttled the WAC, and hasn't expanded beyond the geographic boundaries that you cite. He also held on to SDSU and Boise a few years ago. While he's not perfect, I'd say he's done some good things for the mountain west as a whole.
I don't have any particular reason to defend Thompson, but I think he is unfairly criticized by a lot of folks. Regardless of whether it is the most stable G5 because of Thomson or in spite of him, the fact remains that the MWC is likely to survive this round of realignment intact or even stronger. And it has survived multiple defections and attempted coups in the past under his watch.

Also, I do believe that it would be smart to further cripple the AAC now, but I don't want the MWC to expand just because everyone else seems to be trying to. The conference is pretty healthy right now (as far as conferences go).

I saw over on douchebagboard that they were all chortling in their joy about the AAC targeting the MWC. Not a single one of those idiots stopped to think about why any MW team would defect to the AAC. There is pretty much no scenario where it makes sense for any of the MW schools to go to the AAC. Maybe Air Force so they can be with Navy? Even then, what's the point?
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggie2004AG

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Locked Previous topicNext topic