AAC making it's move on the MWC? Rumor

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

AAC making it's move on the MWC? Rumor

Post by ViAggie » September 15th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Mike Aresco supposedly officially made his pitch to Boise State, Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State and Army. Rumor has it that they were all for football only. If that's true, it's already a non-starter.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: AAC making it's move on the MWC? Rumor

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 15th, 2021, 12:21 pm

Lol, whatever. That would be a terrible move for all of them. Doubt SDSU wants their hoops going to the big west or whatever. CSU isn’t even good at football right now, not sure what’s appealing about them except for potential, I guess.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 15th, 2021, 12:30 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Mike Aresco supposedly officially made his pitch to Boise State, Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State and Army. Rumor has it that they were all for football only. If that's true, it's already a non-starter.
Time to kill the threat, the AAC is down on its knees, invite Tulsa, Wichita State, and SMU to finish them off. Then we can go after Gonzaga and St. Marys
Last edited by Agzrule on September 15th, 2021, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Agzrule for the post (total 7):
2004AGLarryTheAggieaggies22ViAggie3rdGenAggieustate98CodingAggieBlue

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 15th, 2021, 12:33 pm

CSU is appealing for the Denver TV Market only.

If you are taking that much of the league I would have to ask is it really worth moving? The only one I can see considering it is AFA is army goes so they are all in a conference, but who would want AFA basketball? Nobody.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » September 15th, 2021, 12:35 pm

I don't think any MWC or additional AAC teams are moving right now until both have more certainty from the B12 on whether or not it will be expanding further.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
ViAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 15th, 2021, 12:38 pm

What is the buy out to leave the MWC? I can't imagine the TV deal added in with the huge increase in travel costs would make it even remotely worth it.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 15th, 2021, 12:51 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:33 pm

If you are taking that much of the league I would have to ask is it really worth moving? The only one I can see considering it is AFA is army goes so they are all in a conference, but who would want AFA basketball? Nobody.
Does CSU really bring the Denver TV market? Isn't that just about the same as taking Utah State for the SLC market?

I don't see it.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
ustate98

Formerly TulsAGGIE

bpd

Post by bpd » September 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:51 pm
GeoAg wrote:

Does CSU really bring the Denver TV market? Isn't that just about the same as taking Utah State for the SLC market?

I don't see it.
I live about 10 miles south of the CSU campus. The answer is yes, they bring the Denver market. Their student body population is bigger than Utah State. They also don't have people who go to CSU who then root for CU, like Utah State does.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 15th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:38 pm
What is the buy out to leave the MWC? I can't imagine the TV deal added in with the huge increase in travel costs would make it even remotely worth it.
I believe it's now $10 Million to leave, and I think that was agreed upon when SDSU and Boise came back from essentially the same conference. Why would they want to go back to a conference they spurned once before? They won't. And what do you even get for that $10? Increase travel and arguable about the same TV contract (their claim of a better TV contract when the had the now B12 schools was debunked as using voodoo math). This is why Boise cut off talking to them last year, the AAC was only floating a FB only invite. There's no way Boise can park their Oly Sports in any decent conference, SDSU could join the Big West Bus League + Hawaii, where does CSU and AFA go? The Summit? LOLZ not happening.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025newtonianblue

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 15th, 2021, 1:18 pm

bpd wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:51 pm
GeoAg wrote:

I don't see it.
I live about 10 miles south of the CSU campus. The answer is yes, they bring the Denver market. Their student body population is bigger than Utah State. They also don't have people who go to CSU who then root for CU, like Utah State does.
Do they have a predominate religion in the area which has a school that those belonging to the faith have some sort of weird moral obligation to cheer for? Cuz that's what's screwed us, not people cheering for the U, which what CU is, we don't have many of those.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Go Aggies!

CedarAg

Post by CedarAg » September 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Does our boy Hair ever say anything?
The AAC guy is always talking but our man with the plan never seems to have a plan.
It could be that I only get my news from you all
😀😀

Roll Aggies!!!!

Full

Post by Full » September 15th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Boise already decided they wouldn’t make more in the AAC “there is currently not an increase in media revenue associated with the AAC compared to the MWC based upon current media contracts.” Now the gap is going to grow as their revenue is cut.

The AAC wants to ensure it’s members that it’s got a plan to continue as the “P6” conference despite the losses of the most valuable programs. I guess his plan is to blow more hot air until people buy it again. Unfortunately Hair doesn’t realize that Aresco’s tactics work, so the Mountain West will just continue to make non-statement statements.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 15th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Fire Thompson and hire Aresco. See what happens with the AAC then!

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 15th, 2021, 2:29 pm

ViAggie wrote:
Outside of the exit fee I still do not see how this benefit them.

What in the hell is Thompson up to?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 15th, 2021, 2:44 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 2:29 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Outside of the exit fee I still do not see how this benefit them.

What in the hell is Thompson up to?
I have to assume that the conference has discussed adding member, they'll likely hold tight is my guess. AAC is going to have to raid the Skunk Pelt and the Conf. USA to stay alive.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Full

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 15th, 2021, 2:55 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:21 pm
Lol, whatever. That would be a terrible move for all of them. Doubt SDSU wants their hoops going to the big west or whatever. CSU isn’t even good at football right now, not sure what’s appealing about them except for potential, I guess.
Agreed. It is crazy to me that CSU is viewed and usually named in these expansion talks as a potential target. For BigXII perhaps it makes geographical sense but that is about all. They offer nice symmetry with CU for the PAC12, but no more than USU does for Utah.

A lot of people point to their new stadium as a reason but that stadium has gotten them nowhere so far. I'm not sure what their "announced" attendance is like but if you have watched any game since it has been built it is mostly empty. Having a stadium on campus did not improve their attendance at all over Hughes.

Others point to their potential with market. :noidea: Ft. Collins is 65 miles from Denver....again Logan is 83 miles from Salt Lake City and yet we are viewed as a school in the sticks while CSU is a distant suburb of Denver.

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » September 15th, 2021, 3:32 pm

link........

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » September 15th, 2021, 3:39 pm

I for one like that Thompson is hanging back right now...the move by AAC to pitch to MW schools reeks of desperation to me. You rarely want to be first to pitch anyway. If "nope not interested" is what comes back, AAC then goes hat in hand to CUSA and SBelt...and THEN Thompson has options in how to frame alternatives to other schools. In other words...patience. These are not dumb guys, they just know their options are limited and want to pick the best time to make a move.
These users thanked the author 88USUAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyViAggie

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 15th, 2021, 3:44 pm

... wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 3:32 pm
link........
I second this. Does anyone have a link to any reporter or the such talking about these rumors?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 15th, 2021, 3:49 pm

"Never underestimate Craig Thompson's ability to F things up."
-Fake Obama

There is absolutely a chance that MWC gets outmaneuvered on realignment, which is by far my biggest concern. We'll be out maneuvered by a conference so delusional that thinks it's a P6, when it's questionable if there will even be a P5 going forward.

All I'm saying is that if Craig Thompson were a movie he'd absolutely be featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 15th, 2021, 3:54 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 3:49 pm
-Fake Obama

There is absolutely a chance that MWC gets outmaneuvered on realignment, which is by far my biggest concern. We'll be out maneuvered by a conference so delusional that thinks it's a P6, when it's questionable if there will even be a P5 going forward.

All I'm saying is that if Craig Thompson were a movie he'd absolutely be featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
I still like that proposal to create regional "pods" of schools that are above the FCS level but have no delusions of competing with Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State, etc. and making a solid intermediate league. You keep regional rivalries and could have a very nice playoff system and a trophy to compete for. I think there is a market for such a thing and it would solve a lot of the conference anxiety that the schools in this group tend to go through every two or three years.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » September 15th, 2021, 4:40 pm

What we need and as mentioned in the past is a system like the Premier English soccer league where you can move up and down based on yearly performance-looking at Vanderbilt as an example. I know its a dream and all that.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post (total 3):
ViAggie3rdGenAggieflying_scotsman2.0

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 3:44 pm
... wrote:
link........
I second this. Does anyone have a link to any reporter or the such talking about these rumors?
Request denied, "Rumors" is in the title for a reason. Just things I've picked up while surfing, but that is why twitter exists, go there. My sources aren't real sources, thus the Rumor in the title tag.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 15th, 2021, 4:43 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 4:40 pm
What we need and as mentioned in the past is a system like the Premier English soccer league where you can move up and down based on yearly performance-looking at Vanderbilt as an example. I know its a dream and all that.
I've been pitching this model forever. It's also why a superconference doesn't make sense, who wants to play bowl games against your conference mates? It's like taking your cousin out on a date, sure she might be fun, but after all, she's still your cousin.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieflying_scotsman2.0

Post by ... » September 15th, 2021, 5:03 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
... wrote:
link........
Request denied, "Rumors" is in the title for a reason. Just things I've picked up while surfing, but that is why twitter exists, go there. My sources aren't real sources, thus the Rumor in the title tag.
you realize you can link to twitter right? It's not hard. Select, Shift + Copy then Paste and dont forget to hit Submit
Last edited by ... on September 15th, 2021, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 15th, 2021, 5:06 pm

... wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 5:03 pm
ViAggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
... wrote:
link........
you realize you can link to twitter right? It's not hard. Select, Shift + Copy then Paste.
Yeah, I figured it was Twitter. Just curious who is saying these rumors. I could go on Twitter and say "Rumors that USC, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State have all been offered football-only membership to the Mountain West" but it doesn't mean it's an actual rumor.

Post by ... » September 15th, 2021, 5:08 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 5:06 pm
... wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
... wrote:
link........
you realize you can link to twitter right? It's not hard. Select, Shift + Copy then Paste.
Yeah, I figured it was Twitter. Just curious who is saying these rumors. I could go on Twitter and say "Rumors that USC, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State have all been offered football-only membership to the Mountain West" but it doesn't mean it's an actual rumor.
We would know this if he posted the link like we asked...

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm

... wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 5:08 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 5:06 pm
... wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
... wrote:
link........
We would know this if he posted the link like we asked...
I will say this, the source has been pretty accurate so far, has some close ties at Boise State. He also thinks it's laughable that anyone from the MWC would join the AAC, and he is for sure right about that.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » September 15th, 2021, 6:06 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
-Fake Obama

I am quite sure it is “Dumb and Dumber”

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 15th, 2021, 6:09 pm

Here’s the best link out there on the subject. It was put out today.

https://theathletic.com/2826426/2021/09 ... roup-of-5/

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » September 15th, 2021, 6:18 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 6:06 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
-Fake Obama

This forum is funny. When news broke about Thompson being involved with the Playoff expansion talk this forum was singing his praises and talking about how good of a job he has done for the MWC. Now when realignment talks hit, we have references to Dumb and Dumber for the mighty Hair Thompson.

I for one am on the more skeptical side of Thompson's abilities so every time I hear any close to "realignment" it makes me nervous. He does not appear to be the "proactive" type of leader but instead seems to be the "reactive" type. I hope like hell I'm wrong and there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that he is orchestrating to keep the MWC strong.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 15th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 6:09 pm
Here’s the best link out there on the subject. It was put out today.

https://theathletic.com/2826426/2021/09 ... roup-of-5/
:thumbsup: Read this earlier today...it was a good summary of the the state of things right now. The part talking about the MWC is pretty brief but I think that is because there isn't a lot to say. The MWC is stable and is really under no pressure to make any moves right now, not to mention, none of them make any sense when it involves the expansion of the AAC. The only worry is if the BigXII will add 2 more at some point and target BSU as one of those additions. Even then, the remaining bulk of the MWC have no where to go and are still a good collection of regional schools that could pick off any number of targets depending on which direction they feel like they need to expand.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 15th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Slim80 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 6:18 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
-Fake Obama

This forum is funny. When news broke about Thompson being involved with the Playoff expansion talk this forum was singing his praises and talking about how good of a job he has done for the MWC. Now when realignment talks hit, we have references to Dumb and Dumber for the mighty Hair Thompson.

I for one am on the more skeptical side of Thompson's abilities so every time I hear any close to "realignment" it makes me nervous. He does not appear to be the "proactive" type of leader but instead seems to be the "reactive" type. I hope like hell I'm wrong and there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that he is orchestrating to keep the MWC strong.
Carl Benson thought that way too, look what happened to his plans to blow up the MWC... damn near sunk the WAC. CT played CB like a fiddle. I'm guessing CT told his members that Michael Aresco would likely be calling, and would likely start with the "weaker" of the candidates to try and sniff out a possible coup. Not happening, they are weak and they are in no position to add stronger teams to their conference, hell they couldn't even add Boise when they had the opportunity to, nor could they keep Boise and SDSU when they still had the Big East name.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » September 15th, 2021, 6:56 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:21 pm
Re: CSU, it’s not about whether the Rammies are good at football right now. It’s about market share, location and other intangibles it might bring to a conference.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 15th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Slim80 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 6:18 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
-Fake Obama

For the record, I've always thought Craig Thompson was a dip$hit.

Locked Previous topicNext topic