Real Radio coverage/show

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdidwhat

Real Radio coverage/show

Post by aggiesdidwhat » September 13th, 2021, 8:11 pm

I'm listening to coach on his last interview on YouTube. Got an alert.

AL Lewis literally just asked a question, "Coach it seems like to really beat this team, you have to OUT SCORE Them!" omg :bangwall: (reference to playing AFA)

Aggie22 please hurry on your podcast! Please! I know we are a small school... But I wish we had at least 3hrs of competent radio on the Aggies. Insiders.

Rant over.. Sorry guys.
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post (total 3):
MrBiggleHootaggies22

Hoot

Re: Real Radio coverage/show

Post by Hoot » September 13th, 2021, 8:40 pm

Isn’t incompetence part of Al’s charm?

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

bigbluesam
Has thanked: 0

Post by bigbluesam » September 13th, 2021, 10:43 pm

I’ll go to my grave loving Al Lewis.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 13th, 2021, 10:56 pm

I prefer to listen to Al on mute, but he's a good aggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 3):
AGinNEIowaAgMac3rdGenAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 14th, 2021, 12:53 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Better than @ScottGarrard, dude acts like he's embarrassed every time he's "obligated" to talk about the Aggies on his radio show.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » September 14th, 2021, 1:25 am

I'm actually a fan of Al. I love his passion for the Aggies

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SSaggie for the post:
Coloraggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 14th, 2021, 8:19 am

Al is the voice of Aggie Sports from my childhood. I will never dislike him no matter how many mistakes he makes. I love what Scotty G has been doing.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 7):
Aggie19cdaAgColoraggiebrossp24BLUERUFiOflying_scotsman2.0HakeemMyDream

Stucki

Post by Stucki » September 14th, 2021, 8:43 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 12:53 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Better than @ScottGarrard, dude acts like he's embarrassed every time he's "obligated" to talk about the Aggies on his radio show.
That just shows you don't really listen to ScottyG
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post (total 9):
BustaMcNuttnewhouse9cdaAgProvoAggieQuackAttackAggie3rdGenAggieaceofspadeskbaggieguy13Aggiecpa

Hail the Utah Aggies!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 14th, 2021, 9:05 am

Stucki wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 8:43 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

That just shows you don't really listen to ScottyG
Scotty does a good job; a big difference between Scotty and Al is that Al really only needs to focus on the Aggies. He's in the valley and not obligated to other schools. Scotty has a much more broad and diverse market to handle. He's an Aggie...Al went to UNLV! :) Al's voice will always be tied to USU in my mind.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 6):
Aggie84025cdaAgslcaggAggie19Hootaggies22

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 14th, 2021, 10:48 am

Al is an amazing Aggie. Scotty G is way better at calling games and hosting interviews.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie19gomretatSlim80

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 14th, 2021, 11:39 am

Big Scotty G fan. He does a great call, and his radio show with Hans Olsen is the best sports show we've ever had in Utah. They are extremely fair to the Aggies.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post (total 5):
3rdGenAggieBustaMcNuttAggie19Slim80flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 14th, 2021, 11:48 am

For me it is not one or the other as I love them both. I love Al as he was the voice of the Aggies for me growing up before all games were broadcasted on tv. I remember pacing the living room listening to Al call the games. Those are good memories. I also love Scotty and the way he calls games and the coverage he gives the Aggies. Stop with all the non sense that Scotty is not an Aggie. He is an Aggie, but his radio station is going to cater to the teams that pay the stations bills.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieColoraggieAggie19flying_scotsman2.0

stang

Post by stang » September 14th, 2021, 12:28 pm

It's always funny to me how many people are willing to bemoan USU's media coverage, but how few are willing to do anything about it. You want somebody to cover Utah State better? Do it.

There are very few, if any, full-time USU reporters who make a living covering USU athletics. Those who do have the job of covering USU don't make much money doing so, and most of the time it's more out of their passion for the Aggies than anything.

On the flip-side, literally any of you could start a blog or website about USU, or could get involved with Mountain West Wire and be a part of these press conferences, and arrange to set up interviews with student-athletes, and get credentialed for home games. But you don't. You know why? Because it takes a lot of work and effort, and writing an article that gets 200 clicks isn't going to pay the bills. So instead you come on the fan board and complain about the work that others do.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025Winkieflying_scotsman2.0

gomretat

Post by gomretat » September 14th, 2021, 1:53 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 10:48 am
Al is an amazing Aggie. Scotty G is way better at calling games and hosting interviews.
Completely agree with both points. I had a hard time listening to Al because he was over the top as a homer and it was hard to know what was going on because he took so much airtime complaining about the refs. Loved that he had passion but think Scotty G is way better at calling games. If 1280 would get rid of Hans I would enjoy listening to Scotty G on sports talk as well.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 14th, 2021, 2:01 pm

gomretat wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 1:53 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Completely agree with both points. I had a hard time listening to Al because he was over the top as a homer and it was hard to know what was going on because he took so much airtime complaining about the refs. Loved that he had passion but think Scotty G is way better at calling games. If 1280 would get rid of Hans I would enjoy listening to Scotty G on sports talk as well.
Really? Hans is one of the best, in my opinion. He's kind of quirky, but he's genuine and really knows his stuff, football especially. He's a bit of a traitor for going to BYU, but whatever...I'm over that. They were dominant at that point in time (although JLS had USU as a halfway decent team during some of Hans' playing years). Despite being a Zoobie, he honestly likes Utah State.

That said, I'll admit that outside of the NBA season, I only really listen to 1280 for specific interviews.
Last edited by 3rdGenAggie on September 14th, 2021, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0OKAggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

blueblood

Post by blueblood » September 14th, 2021, 2:03 pm

stang wrote:It's always funny to me how many people are willing to bemoan USU's media coverage, but how few are willing to do anything about it. You want somebody to cover Utah State better? Do it.

There are very few, if any, full-time USU reporters who make a living covering USU athletics. Those who do have the job of covering USU don't make much money doing so, and most of the time it's more out of their passion for the Aggies than anything.

On the flip-side, literally any of you could start a blog or website about USU, or could get involved with Mountain West Wire and be a part of these press conferences, and arrange to set up interviews with student-athletes, and get credentialed for home games. But you don't. You know why? Because it takes a lot of work and effort, and writing an article that gets 200 clicks isn't going to pay the bills. So instead you come on the fan board and complain about the work that others do.

I agree 100%. If you really want things to change in the SLC market pay 1280 (your advertising $$) to sponsor a segment on Aggie sports. I’m sure 1280 will gladly take your money and have an hourly, daily, or weekly segment dedicated to the Aggies.

That’s why they are doing the hourly segments on the Utes and Cougars. That’s why they have the weekly preview shows.

These users thanked the author blueblood for the post (total 2):
Aggie840253rdGenAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 14th, 2021, 2:04 pm

gomretat wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 1:53 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I like listening to Hans. He is very knowledgeable about football and him and Scotty has a really good relationship and feed off each other really well.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 14th, 2021, 6:32 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 11:39 am
Big Scotty G fan. He does a great call, and his radio show with Hans Olsen is the best sports show we've ever had in Utah. They are extremely fair to the Aggies.
Only a byu honk would say that. They RARELY talk USU and when they do, it's about as surface-level as it gets "did you know USU has a QB battle this year?" I am a fan of their show (mostly for Jazz talk) but Hans will do whole segments about the byu's defensive line and when USU comes up, he always tries to quickly change the subject back to byu.

Case in point. This year leading up to be NBA draft, they had multiple draft experts on their show and not ONCE discussed the only draft-eligible player in the state. How is that not offensive to USU fans?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 14th, 2021, 6:37 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 11:48 am
For me it is not one or the other as I love them both. I love Al as he was the voice of the Aggies for me growing up before all games were broadcasted on tv. I remember pacing the living room listening to Al call the games. Those are good memories. I also love Scotty and the way he calls games and the coverage he gives the Aggies. Stop with all the non sense that Scotty is not an Aggie. He is an Aggie, but his radio station is going to cater to the teams that pay the stations bills.
He's the program director and 1280 is THE HOME OF THE AGGIES!!!!!! He could force more Aggie talk (which would not offend any byu/utah fans) but he's too scared or doesn't care. Not a true Aggie.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » September 14th, 2021, 6:59 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
He's the program director and 1280 is THE HOME OF THE AGGIES!!!!!! He could force more Aggie talk (which would not offend any byu/utah fans) but he's too scared or doesn't care. Not a true Aggie.
I’m gonna guess you haven’t spent much time in the business world. Force something down the throats of those that pay the bills so you can talk more about your the school you graduated from.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 2):
AggiecpaElkaggie

signalwar

Post by signalwar » September 14th, 2021, 7:04 pm

The biggest problem is that there’s no real radio coverage in cache valley. They need a lot bigger signal (local station) and a personality from the valley who can attend all events and practices and etc. to get fresh interviews for every show instead of retreads from coaches shows etc, and have longer post game shows.
I loved Al, he was a lot better than Craig Hislop or the other guy. Scott is ok but he can't identify the players in a play as quickly as Al could. But Al would normally tell you before the play snapped what players were where. Maybe that can't be done with a fast pace.

stang

Post by stang » September 14th, 2021, 9:16 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 6:37 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
I understand why this is your reaction. Because it's easier to pin the blame on him than it is to reflect, both at yourself and at the Aggie fanbase as a whole, and accept the truth. The truth is very simple — if the SLC media market responded positively to USU coverage, there would be plenty of it. They do not, so there is not.

Scotty doesn't owe USU a thing. Not a damn thing. He does, however, owe the station that he manages and the employees who work for it the business practices which make the best financial sense. As disappointing as it is, that does not include talking about the team that we both hold dear. I don't understand why this is hard to get.

Scotty isn't a true Aggie because he doesn't talk about USU on the radio very much? Man, there aren't a whole lot of true Aggies in that case.

You want better USU media coverage? Do something about it. Or, just keep aimlessly complaining. That seems to be kind of your thing.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 3):
Mr. SneelockAggiecpaStucki

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 14th, 2021, 9:59 pm

stang wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
I understand why this is your reaction. Because it's easier to pin the blame on him than it is to reflect, both at yourself and at the Aggie fanbase as a whole, and accept the truth. The truth is very simple — if the SLC media market responded positively to USU coverage, there would be plenty of it. They do not, so there is not.

Scotty doesn't owe USU a thing. Not a damn thing. He does, however, owe the station that he manages and the employees who work for it the business practices which make the best financial sense. As disappointing as it is, that does not include talking about the team that we both hold dear. I don't understand why this is hard to get.

Scotty isn't a true Aggie because he doesn't talk about USU on the radio very much? Man, there aren't a whole lot of true Aggies in that case.

You want better USU media coverage? Do something about it. Or, just keep aimlessly complaining. That seems to be kind of your thing.
“Not a damn thing”? I mean, I don’t think it’s asking too much to have the voice of aggies NOT call his education “mediocre”.

He doesn’t owe us more coverage per se. The market dictates that.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 14th, 2021, 10:13 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
That is the beauty of having your opinion and I have mine. I like Scotty, I also like Al and like listening to his game day shows.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » September 14th, 2021, 11:25 pm

Hey all you amazing Aggies! Please forgive me. I shouldn't have started the post the way I did. It was a bad day and I was trying to get some /any Aggie talk.... And just hearing these questions.... It just bummed me out. I have no hate for AL. His voice was one I heard many times as my family was way to poor to get to games. I do think he isn't what he use to be. And for Scotty G. He seems to care about us. I was just merely wishing we had better coverage locally of all the usu sports. I think it would be neat. You're all correct, it takes money and hard work. I have neither haha.

There is enough contention in this world. I don't want to add more. Love my Aggies and all of you guys. Sorry for being a douche.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » September 15th, 2021, 12:40 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Nobody on USU Fans:
“Watch me post today’s most cringe-worthy take/opinion”

OrangeCountyAggie:
“Hold my beer...”

OCA is the most out of touch “fan” on the board and it’s not even close. At least today’s nonsense wasn’t more Nathan-hating vitriol.
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post (total 4):
AggiecpaBustaMcNuttElkaggietaniataylor

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 15th, 2021, 1:32 am

FeartheFro wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 6:59 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
I’m gonna guess you haven’t spent much time in the business world. Force something down the throats of those that pay the bills so you can talk more about your the school you graduated from.

How do you know? Do you work for 1280's ad sales department? All I know is USU/Leerfield is paying them a lot for token coverage.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 15th, 2021, 1:43 am

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:40 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Nobody on USU Fans:

OrangeCountyAggie:
“Hold my beer...”

OCA is the most out of touch “fan” on the board and it’s not even close. At least today’s nonsense wasn’t more Nathan-hating vitriol.
Childish. You disagree with my take? Let's hear your counter arguement.

HakeemMyDream

Post by HakeemMyDream » September 15th, 2021, 2:28 pm

bigbluesam wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 10:43 pm
I’ll go to my grave loving Al Lewis.
I would die for Al :rock:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 15th, 2021, 4:47 pm

Guys guys... he's right you know.... LOL

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

TheBigSilk

Post by TheBigSilk » September 15th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Outscore them
It's these smooth takes that make Al the silkiest.

-TBS
These users thanked the author TheBigSilk for the post:
Hoot

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » September 16th, 2021, 6:58 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 1:43 am
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:40 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Nobody on USU Fans:

OrangeCountyAggie:
“Hold my beer...”

Childish. You disagree with my take? Let's hear your counter arguement.
Why waste his time? You are impervious to facts and logic -- not the first time you've made this ridiculous argument about Scott on this board. People including myself have explained why his job isn't what you think it should be, and for that matter why Aggie coverage on his station (limited as it is) is better than it's been. And you come back with this kind of emo non-factual non-argument "ewwww, he's just embarrassed to talk about the Aggies" or "he just doesn't care" or "he's not a real Aggie".

You don't want a counter-argument, you want attention. Piss off.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 3):
AggiecpaUSUaggieAGinNEIowa

Nobody here knows anything.

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » September 16th, 2021, 8:45 am

Maybe this has already been discussed, or maybe it is just a stupid idea, but why can't KVNU carry the USU basketball and football feeds from 1280?

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » September 16th, 2021, 9:41 am

Aggiestyle wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 8:45 am
Maybe this has already been discussed, or maybe it is just a stupid idea, but why can't KVNU carry the USU basketball and football feeds from 1280?
KVNU is petty and vindictive.

There would be a cost to air the 1280 feed, but having the actual game feed would be a tremendous benefit by boosting the number of people who would listen to the pre and post game shows they are currently airing. The cost would be more than covered by the increased advertising revenue.

Interestingly enough, the Cache Valley Radio Group (KVNU owners) does pay 1280 to air Jazz games on 106.9 and one of their AM stations. They see the benefit there, but are still too salty about losing the contract to broadcast Aggie games.

HakeemMyDream

Post by HakeemMyDream » September 16th, 2021, 9:44 am

Aggiestyle wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 8:45 am
There is a giant feed explaining the beef between Lerfield, USU, and KVNU somewhere on the site. Its a clusterf*** of media contracts and money...

Locked Previous topicNext topic