Texas going independent?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

Texas going independent?

Post by troutputz » November 8th, 2010, 12:07 am

Rumors are flying in Austin about Texas goin independent. Several local radio stations have aired this and said they have a reliable source from Texas University that this will happen. Man, watch the Big 12 shuffle, or go down in flame. This is just what BYU fans, Air Force fans, TCU fans, and Boise State fans want. If Texas goes so do several others and the commish at the PAC 12 will get his wish for the PAC 16, thus a inviting of those 4 teams would save the Big 12. However, if Texas goes indy, what is to stop other Big Boys like Florida State, or even Ohio State? This is all about schools having only their OWN slice of the pie, and they don't want to share some of their slice with anyone!

I mean really, I'll bet the local uniformed BYU fan (which there are many) has no idea of who BYU will be playing next year on their schedule? When they find out next July and see that they have home games with New Mexico State, San Jose State, Idaho, LA Tech, and Utah State I am sure most will be saying, What the Hell type of schedule is this?? And then you add Utah which by the way, that game is on September 17th in Provo, a Cougar fan has to be scratching their Nuts about now?

But you know that Texas and any others that go independent will have games similar to Notre Dame. Texas is possibly looking at getting 70 million by doing this. Can you imagine what 70 million would do for Utah State. Hell, students, oh by the way your tuition won't cost you anymore in Logan Utah because 70 million is being generated through TV contracts each year.

Man things come in full circles. When I was a kid USU was in the Rocky Mountain conference then the Skyline and then went Independent for several years which in the 60's wasn't all that bad. But by the time the 70's rolled around, You better have a conference. Now, 40 years later talk of independence is circling. However, only for the BIGs, and looking at BYU's schedule next year and the next, that isn't too big in my mind. Other than playing us of course!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: Texas going independent?

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 8th, 2010, 12:39 am

I just spent the last 40 seconds wondering what a "uniformed" byu fan was. Figured it out.

I doubt texas goes indy when they have such a sweet deal set up. However, they'd be more successful doing it than byu will be.

SoCalAggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SoCalAggie » November 8th, 2010, 7:05 pm

We all seem to forget about the other sports. Texas has no reason to go indy because they can stay in the Big 12 and still get their killer TV contract with 5 gazillion dollars. Where they going? The WAC? LOL, I can see it now...

The Western Athletic Conference of Convenience (WACC) where our motto is "park your 'other' sports here":

Texas - Indy in fb
TCU - big east in fb
BYU - indy in fb (because the big 12 took Cinci and Louisville instead of poor bywho)
SJSU - WAC Football Scheduling Alliance member
Hawaii - Indy in Fb, but otherwise a W-FSA member... or a MWC invite
Idaho - W-FSA member
La Tech - still didn't get an invite to CUSA
NMSU - W-FSA member
Denver U
Seattle U
Cal State _______ (someone)
Montana _______ (someone)

:joking:

Drifting through a world that's torn and tattered, every thought I have don't mean a thing...

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 9th, 2010, 10:06 am

SoCalAggie wrote:We all seem to forget about the other sports. Texas has no reason to go indy because they can stay in the Big 12 and still get their killer TV contract with 5 gazillion dollars. Where they going? The WAC? LOL, I can see it now...

The Western Athletic Conference of Convenience (WACC) where our motto is "park your 'other' sports here":

Texas - Indy in fb
TCU - big east in fb
BYU - indy in fb (because the big 12 took Cinci and Louisville instead of poor bywho)
SJSU - WAC Football Scheduling Alliance member
Hawaii - Indy in Fb, but otherwise a W-FSA member... or a MWC invite
Idaho - W-FSA member
La Tech - still didn't get an invite to CUSA
NMSU - W-FSA member
Denver U
Seattle U
Cal State _______ (someone)
Montana _______ (someone)

:joking:
I wonder if the powers that are vigorously working behind closed doors are considering these seemingly new and fascinating possibilities? Likely the TV moguls have a very good hot line to all the major schools involved, as it really is about Football, and College Football is about money. The less important schools will fall in step to get an allocation of the funds generated by 'Marquee Schools'. (A hearty thanks to SoCal for this insightful primer.)

The smaller schools that will be included in new or upgraded conferences could be compared to a toilet..............we are the water(fodder?) that makes moving the crap (big money) possible. Thoughts?

Locked Previous topicNext topic