If the coaches are so worried about OL depth, why not bring more?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 5th, 2021, 2:51 pm

I know I was terrified about OL depth but I figured the coaches knew what they were doing. Then I read the head coach commenting about it. It makes me very curious why we didn't address it more? It seems we still could too.

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
gomretat

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: If the coaches are so worried about OL depth, why not bring more?

Post by BigBlueDart » August 5th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Looking at some of Ajay's other comments:

How many coaches do we have that we can count 99% of them?

Answer to why Lee left. Hope his mom is okay.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 5th, 2021, 3:01 pm

I think they chose to address it through recruiting. If we land Irae Leilua he will really be the icing on the cake!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 5th, 2021, 3:17 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 3:01 pm
I think they chose to address it through recruiting. If we land Irae Leilua he will really be the icing on the cake!
No question they are doing a good job for future years in that department, but they've left us really thin for this year.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 5th, 2021, 3:24 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Not for this season though.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 5th, 2021, 3:25 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 3:17 pm
aggies22 wrote:
No question they are doing a good job for future years in that department, but they've left us really thin for this year.
I know no one wants to hear it, but we will be incredibly fortunate to win 6 games this year. This staff is right to prioritize 2022 and beyond over 2021. While I certainly have high hopes of being wrong, I think the most likely scenario is as follows:

2021 - Four wins, potentially a fifth if things break our way
2022 - Seven wins is a likely ceiling, but it's always good to bowl (especially after two years away)
2023 - A lot will depend on how much of the staff can be retained, but I think we have a great shot at a ten win season (Boise and BYU at home, UCONN and Idaho State as non-con games, and a lot of developed talent from transfers and recruiting).

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 5th, 2021, 3:29 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 3:25 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I know no one wants to hear it, but we will be incredibly fortunate to win 6 games this year. This staff is right to prioritize 2022 and beyond over 2021. While I certainly have high hopes of being wrong, I think the most likely scenario is as follows:

2022 - Seven wins is a likely ceiling, but it's always good to bowl (especially after two years away)
2023 - A lot will depend on how much of the staff can be retained, but I think we have a great shot at a ten win season (Boise and BYU at home, UCONN and Idaho State as non-con games, and a lot of developed talent from transfers and recruiting).
That's how you do it as a coach. You don't want to come in and shoot your ........ you don't want to come in and over-perform with high-level one-year transfers in your first year. That sets the bar too high and people get restless when you don't meet that same bar in the next year. If you have a mediocre first year - you can blame it on the previous staff and the fans are patient and willing to let you bring in your players and system.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 5th, 2021, 3:30 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

I agree with you on all that. I think most are setting pretty modest expectations for this season.

But I'm not sure why we couldn't have added another OL grad transfer or two that would be off the roster next season. How would that have impeded them from loading up on all the promising freshmen that they have? Prioritizing the future and having enough bodies in the present aren't mutually exclusive unless I am missing something. I would have used a couple scholarships a little differently in the spring and brought in another grad transfer OL or two.

As Roy says, still time to do it now.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 5th, 2021, 3:34 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 3:30 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

I agree with you on all that. I think most are setting pretty modest expectations for this season.

But I'm not sure why we couldn't have added another OL grad transfer or two that would be off the roster next season. How would that have impeded them from loading up on all the promising freshmen that they have? Prioritizing the future and having enough bodies in the present aren't mutually exclusive unless I am missing something. I would have used a couple scholarships a little differently in the spring and brought in another grad transfer OL or two.

As Roy says, still time to do it now.
With so many returning starters from 2020, it's hard to bring in one year guys.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 5th, 2021, 3:38 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I don’t think it’s entirely their fault with what is currently in the cupboard for oline depth. They did pretty well In Adding transfers. we just lost a lot the last few years between injury and transferring out.
Last edited by slcagg on August 5th, 2021, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 5th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Considering this may be a pedestrian season the outlook for the future is a bit dour, but what else could we expect?

Next season could bring us a much better record and then the pressure begins on a good coaching staff with some being hired away. Happens with too much regularity in Logan, the $$$$ are what coaches want, and coaches are gypsies, make no mistake about that.

There exists a possibility our coaches already have an in house solution in mind if we suffer some injuries among the "O" linemen. It would be enlightening if we had a roster position comparison from last season to this year so we could carefully evaluate the needs for 2021.

Full

Post by Full » August 5th, 2021, 7:24 pm

What teams are so unbeatable on the schedule? I see the softest schedule USU has had since the Big West. Try and find a softer schedule with more winnable games. Here’s the SP+ rankings:

North Dakota-NA
New Mexico State-130
New Mexico-124
UNLV-123
Hawai'i-105
Colorado State-96
Air Force-93
San José State-81
Wyoming-80
BYU-52
Washington State-46
Boise State-39

These rankings always rank The service academies too low, but that was the worst loss last season. I think four wins is the basement floor, and even Boise State with a first time head coach is beatable. Looking back to 2017 and 2018 when the conference schedule was similar, we over performed expectation both years.
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
USU78BLUERUFiO

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 6th, 2021, 5:34 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 3:29 pm
That's how you do it as a coach. You don't want to come in and shoot your ........ you don't want to come in and over-perform with high-level one-year transfers in your first year. That sets the bar too high and people get restless when you don't meet that same bar in the next year. If you have a mediocre first year - you can blame it on the previous staff and the fans are patient and willing to let you bring in your players and system.
Louisiana Tech once had a football coach jokingly say at media days that his advice to other coaches was to struggle for a few years to keep expectations low, rather than win right away and then disappoint fans in the years after that when you don't meet the expectations set after the first year.

It's like Stew. He got us an NCAA Tournament win his third year, which set expectations we would regularly be doing that and some years make sweet sixteen runs, only to disappoint us when we could never win a tournament game again. And another example could be Smith getting us to the tournament in his first year, to set expectations we would eventually from there start getting there and advancing, only to disappoint us when an NCAA one and done was all we get in year three.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 6th, 2021, 7:51 am

Full wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 7:24 pm
What teams are so unbeatable on the schedule? I see the softest schedule USU has had since the Big West. Try and find a softer schedule with more winnable games. Here’s the SP+ rankings:

North Dakota-NA
New Mexico State-130
New Mexico-124
UNLV-123
Hawai'i-105
Colorado State-96
Air Force-93
San José State-81
Wyoming-80
BYU-52
Washington State-46
Boise State-39

These rankings always rank The service academies too low, but that was the worst loss last season. I think four wins is the basement floor, and even Boise State with a first time head coach is beatable. Looking back to 2017 and 2018 when the conference schedule was similar, we over performed expectation both years.
So…..we’re no. 121, IIRC. And UNLV and New Mexico are right there with us. People that think we’ll be 4-8 isn’t a reflection of who we are playing, but is a reflection of who we are.

4 wins is us meeting expectations, not the floor. The floor is 2 wins, IMO. The ceiling is probably 6 or 7 even if we crush expectations.

If we can keep it within 14 or so against WSU, I’ll be very encouraged that we will overachieve our expectations and pull out a 6-6 season.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
JSHarvey

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 6th, 2021, 8:07 am

Full wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 7:24 pm

North Dakota-NA
New Mexico State-130
New Mexico-124
UNLV-123
Hawai'i-105
Colorado State-96
Air Force-93
San José State-81
Wyoming-80
BYU-52
Washington State-46
Boise State-39

Now add Utah State to this list and see why five wins would be an overachievement.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 6th, 2021, 8:25 am

If Blake Anderson is coming in trying to manage expectations by not putting the best team he can put so he looks good 3 years from now he and Hartwell should be fired- even if the season starts In a month.

That being said, I think he’s trying to put the best team he can out.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 4):
FullLarryTheAggieBLUERUFiOgomretat

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 6th, 2021, 12:32 pm

Wow, I hope the coaches and team have higher expectations than our fans apparently do. Things can change in a hurry in college football and basketball - we've see it first hand and working in both directions. Last year's results should have almost no bearing on this year's team other than perhaps the fact it should serve as motivation to a good deal of them who should be eager to wipe that taste out of their mouth!

My floor for this team is 8 wins. Anything below that for this program in any given year is ridiculous and should not be accepted or tolerated. I have to believe any coaching staff that doesn't have bowl eligibility as a bare minimum mark of achievement is probably in the wrong business.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOFullIdaAg93

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 6th, 2021, 1:59 pm

I absolutely believe the staff will get all they can from the talent now on hand. That is what professional coaching staffs, do and it's why various staff members get hired. Matter of fact I can't recall an event where a coach sandbagged his performance looking for a better following season.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 6th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Aglicious wrote:
August 6th, 2021, 12:32 pm
Wow, I hope the coaches and team have higher expectations than our fans apparently do. Things can change in a hurry in college football and basketball - we've see it first hand and working in both directions. Last year's results should have almost no bearing on this year's team other than perhaps the fact it should serve as motivation to a good deal of them who should be eager to wipe that taste out of their mouth!

My floor for this team is 8 wins. Anything below that for this program in any given year is ridiculous and should not be accepted or tolerated. I have to believe any coaching staff that doesn't have bowl eligibility as a bare minimum mark of achievement is probably in the wrong business.
Do I want Utah State to win 7-8 games? Of course. I think realistically we are trying to string together anywhere from 8-12 new starters, many of whom met each other over the course of the last few months. Accounting for the fact that even the returning starters will be learning a new system, and it isn't unrealistic to expect some hiccoughs this year.

Pick your six wins. I'll spot you NMSU, North Dakota, and UNM. If you lose to Hawai'i or UNLV, that means you have to beat two of the following:

-CSU, WYO, AFA, Boise, BYU, Wazzu, SJSU.

Every one of those is currently classified as a 1/3 chance in winning AT BEST according to SP+. Of course rankings are made to be broken, but there is a long list of things that have to break right for us this year.

Next year, you get back upwards of 10-12 starters (graduates include Nathan, Rice, Gilliam, Bond, Mayberry, Scarver, Thompkins, Green, Ali'ifua, Edwards, Terrell, and Moore), so in terms of returning production it's about even from 2021 to 2022. You also have to go TO BOISE, TO BYU, and TO BAMA. Even with improvements, 7/8 wins may be the regular season ceiling (not a bad ceiling, honestly)!

2023 is the point where your recruits and transfers have had a chance to take hold. You could bring back another 10-12 starters, but now with added depth and three years in the same system. Doesn't hurt that the schedule eases up. Of course I want to win 10 games every year, but having realistic expectations is important to framing your evaluation of how the players and coaching staff are doing considering the circumstances.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 6th, 2021, 2:09 pm

I think our talent on the offensive line is solid it is just a little thin. I do believe our starting line will be good enough to keep us in games. Now if we have some injuries we will be hurting. I do like what they have in the coming years on the offensive line. Excited to see it play out. 4-6 wins are my expectations. There is no reason with this team we should lose to ND, NM, NMSU and UNLV. We typically are pretty tough to beat at home and don't see anything with WYO, CSU and HAW that we cannot be competitive and give ourselves a chance in the 4th QTR to win those games.

Listening to Coach A it seems as though the summer conditioning was really hard for some of the players compared to prior years. Be interesting to hear from some of the parents of current players and what their experience was through this summer conditioning compared to others. He also made it clear that fall camp was going to be a real grind for the players to test their mental fortitude going into the season.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 16th, 2021, 7:47 am

Other schools are adding guys at this stage in the process. I know we're very limited on spots but I'm still really surprised we haven't added more depth on the OL. I think we have a chance to be decent this year but the OL depth looks to be a glaring weakness.

Check out the guys available here (this doesn't include some decent JUCO guys available too):

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Footb ... ncommitted

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 16th, 2021, 8:16 am

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I am just not that worried about OL depth.

Realistically, you need an 8-man rotation to feel good about your OL. I like all five of our starters (Edwards, Ali'ifua, Dolphin/Alo, White, and South), and then I think we have two definite backups that are good contributors (Alo/Dolphin and Knight). If we see any sort of sophomore improvement from Motes/Owens or our junior guys like Meacham/Bowles are finally ready to contribute, we are very likely going to have 9-10 guys that can play at least some snaps. Getting to 9 to 10 is obviously important to allow for 1-2 significant injuries.

If we were to add one more guy (questionable value-add at this point in camp), I think you'd want to add a backup tackle that could shift between both sides of the line. I just don't really see how its feasible to add a guy this late, get him installed, and figure out the new rotation.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 16th, 2021, 8:17 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 8:16 am
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I am just not that worried about OL depth.

Realistically, you need an 8-man rotation to feel good about your OL. I like all five of our starters (Edwards, Ali'ifua, Dolphin/Alo, White, and South), and then I think we have two definite backups that are good contributors (Alo/Dolphin and Knight). If we see any sort of sophomore improvement from Motes/Owens or our junior guys like Meacham/Bowles are finally ready to contribute, we are very likely going to have 9-10 guys that can play at least some snaps. Getting to 9 to 10 is obviously important to allow for 1-2 significant injuries.

If we were to add one more guy (questionable value-add at this point in camp), I think you'd want to add a backup tackle that could shift between both sides of the line. I just don't really see how its feasible to add a guy this late, get him installed, and figure out the new rotation.
For me it’s if we have a couple of injuries then we are in a really risky spot.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 16th, 2021, 8:18 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 7:47 am
Other schools are adding guys at this stage in the process. I know we're very limited on spots but I'm still really surprised we haven't added more depth on the OL. I think we have a chance to be decent this year but the OL depth looks to be a glaring weakness.

Check out the guys available here (this doesn't include some decent JUCO guys available too):

Add the kid from Utah.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 16th, 2021, 8:32 am

I think any experienced OL we would have recruited with the idea they could contribute this year would have about a 50/50 chance of being not worth the scholarship.
This team isn't going to win the MWC championship. If they get into a bowl game, I'll be super happy (and shocked).
I don't want us to hurt our future by wasting scholarships trying to make more out of this season. With a limited number of scholarships, you can try to win now, build for the future, or blend it a bit. I think the coaches have struck a good balance.
I think we probably just recruited the best HS OL recruiting class ever. If one or two of these guys find themselves on the field a bit as true freshman, I'm okay with that - especially with the modern RS rules.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
YoungBloodAggie3rdGenAggie

Hoot

Post by Hoot » August 16th, 2021, 5:02 pm

Yossarian wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 3:29 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

That’s an awful philosophy.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » August 16th, 2021, 5:17 pm

brownjeans wrote:I think any experienced OL we would have recruited with the idea they could contribute this year would have about a 50/50 chance of being not worth the scholarship.
This team isn't going to win the MWC championship. If they get into a bowl game, I'll be super happy (and shocked).
I don't want us to hurt our future by wasting scholarships trying to make more out of this season. With a limited number of scholarships, you can try to win now, build for the future, or blend it a bit. I think the coaches have struck a good balance.
I think we probably just recruited the best HS OL recruiting class ever. If one or two of these guys find themselves on the field a bit as true freshman, I'm okay with that - especially with the modern RS rules.
So, how do you feel about the rumored late pickup of Elio Migao and his brother? Worth the scholarship? ImageImageImage
All teasing aside, it’s pretty amazing that we could pick up the #53 ranked inside O-lineman recruit in the country a week into camp. May take him a while to get up to speed but definitely not a waste of a schollie despite the timing. Should help bridge the gap between the OL’s that we graduate this year and the 4-5 coming in next years class.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 16th, 2021, 6:03 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 5:17 pm
brownjeans wrote:I think any experienced OL we would have recruited with the idea they could contribute this year would have about a 50/50 chance of being not worth the scholarship.
So, how do you feel about the rumored late pickup of Elio Migao and his brother? Worth the scholarship? ImageImageImage
All teasing aside, it’s pretty amazing that we could pick up the #53 ranked inside O-lineman recruit in the country a week into camp. May take him a while to get up to speed but definitely not a waste of a schollie despite the timing. Should help bridge the gap between the OL’s that we graduate this year and the 4-5 coming in next years class.
The cool thing about this pick up is that these two young men played in one of the more competitive FB leagues in Southern California, so these twins weren't feasting on cupcakes for four years, they were going up against schools that have a lot of D1 athletes.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
aggies22

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 16th, 2021, 6:04 pm

What shape are they in? There is not a lot of time for conditioning. And playing at altitude in the MW is not for the out-of-shape.

Eutaw St. Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » August 16th, 2021, 8:15 pm

Yossarian wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 6:04 pm
What shape are they in? There is not a lot of time for conditioning. And playing at altitude in the MW is not for the out-of-shape.
Not sure what the coaches plans are but personally I think it'll take them mid-way into the season to be in shape and to learn the play book. I guessing they only play the 4 game redshirt allotment (or less) and keep their eligibility unless we get into a real pinch with depth.....or they are too good to keep off the field.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 16th, 2021, 8:28 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 8:15 pm
Yossarian wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 6:04 pm
Not sure what the coaches plans are but personally I think it'll take them mid-way into the season to be in shape and to learn the play book. I guessing they only play the 4 game redshirt allotment (or less) and keep their eligibility unless we get into a real pinch with depth.....or they are too good to keep off the field.
Exactly.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 16th, 2021, 9:43 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Surprised we had any openings for this year's team. The last twin lineman we had were pretty good.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 17th, 2021, 12:28 am

brownjeans wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 9:43 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Surprised we had any openings for this year's team. The last twin lineman we had were pretty good.
Hell yea they were, too bad we couldn't snake the younger brother though...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 17th, 2021, 5:36 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 17th, 2021, 12:28 am
brownjeans wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Oh we could have. Matt Wells botched it.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
ViAggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 17th, 2021, 8:59 am

2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2021, 5:36 am
ViAggie wrote:
August 17th, 2021, 12:28 am
brownjeans wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Oh we could have. Matt Wells botched it.
I can verify that the Matt Wells coaching staff very much messed up the recruitment of Riley Whimpey.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
ViAggieBLUERUFiO

Locked Previous topicNext topic