2021 USU Football Preseason Preview: Safety

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

2021 USU Football Preseason Preview: Safety

Post by aggies22 » August 3rd, 2021, 11:29 am

As promised here is the link to my Safety preview. Thank you all for reading!

https://bigblueusuaggienews.com/2021/08 ... ew-safety/
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
USU78flying_scotsman2.0AussieAggieDadAggieArmysam tingeybrossp24Aglicious

Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: 2021 USU Football Preseason Preview: Safety

Post by Aglicious » August 3rd, 2021, 1:29 pm

Thanks for the write-up as usual!

So one thing this preview reminded me of that has driven me bonkers for quite a few years now is the struggle of getting the best players on the field together. It seems like whether it has been the OL, WR, or even CB we end up with a depth chart at one position that looks like it is comprised of the guys that should be all starters. Meanwhile, the opposite side WR or CB or OL spot is occupied by guys that should be the backups.

I look at our safeties and feel like the top 4 are Bond, Reynolds, Tatum, and AJ Carter. Yet 3 of these 4 are all stacked at one side. Are we really expecting Reynolds to be 3rd in line behind Bond and Carter? Is there no way to get Reynolds and Bond on the field together?

I like depth but sometimes I've been left feeling like we have better starting options sitting on our own bench.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttaggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm

Aglicious wrote:
August 3rd, 2021, 1:29 pm

So one thing this preview reminded me of that has driven me bonkers for quite a few years now is the struggle of getting the best players on the field together. It seems like whether it has been the OL, WR, or even CB we end up with a depth chart at one position that looks like it is comprised of the guys that should be all starters. Meanwhile, the opposite side WR or CB or OL spot is occupied by guys that should be the backups.

I look at our safeties and feel like the top 4 are Bond, Reynolds, Tatum, and AJ Carter. Yet 3 of these 4 are all stacked at one side. Are we really expecting Reynolds to be 3rd in line behind Bond and Carter? Is there no way to get Reynolds and Bond on the field together?

I like depth but sometimes I've been left feeling like we have better starting options sitting on our own bench.

Well we can only play two at a time. But remember this is only one man's protections based on what I've seen. I haven't seen Reynolds or McGary live yet. I'm pretty sure I have them placed accurately in their positions but where they end up on the depth chart ultimately is up to them. Don't let my projection get you down my Aggie brother.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 3rd, 2021, 2:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm
Aglicious wrote:

Well we can only play two at a time. But remember this is only one man's protections based on what I've seen. I haven't seen Reynolds or McGary live yet. I'm pretty sure I have them placed accurately in their positions but where they end up on the depth chart ultimately is up to them. Don't let my projection get you down my Aggie brother.
I agree it's probably fair to put Reynolds and McGary where you have them on a pre-fall camp list and let their own work on the field speak for itself. I just hope that this staff is more open to the idea of switching things up if it results in getting the best players on the field. Here's to hoping the transfers come in and have big impacts! :cheers:

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 3rd, 2021, 3:45 pm

Aglicious wrote:
August 3rd, 2021, 2:43 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm
Aglicious wrote:

I agree it's probably fair to put Reynolds and McGary where you have them on a pre-fall camp list and let their own work on the field speak for itself. I just hope that this staff is more open to the idea of switching things up if it results in getting the best players on the field. Here's to hoping the transfers come in and have big impacts! :cheers:
The coaching staff is here to win make no mistake about that. I've often heard that when a transfer is brought in, he is expected to at least make the two-deep.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 3rd, 2021, 5:58 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 3rd, 2021, 11:29 am
As promised here is the link to my Safety preview. Thank you all for reading!

https://bigblueusuaggienews.com/2021/08 ... ew-safety/
GOOD READ 22, Interesting read, and what intrigues me is that is seems several players could move up the rotation chart this season. Interesting what a few months months in the gym can do for the dimensions of a young man.

Also, your comment about transfers being expected to make the two (2) deep was both enlightening and comforting. Turns out these transfers aren't expected to be developmental fodder to flesh out the special and practice teams. THANK YOU 22..
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 3rd, 2021, 6:15 pm

We need someone to step up opposite of shaq.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » August 4th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Don't forget that some players will miss time due to injuries and Covid. We NEED the depth!

Locked Previous topicNext topic