Jason Shelley

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FDTerritory

Jason Shelley

Post by FDTerritory » July 27th, 2021, 8:58 am

Hi...hopefully I'm asking this in the right place. :)

Missouri State football coach Bobby Petrino announced today (out of the blue) that Jason Shelley has transferred to MSU and will be competing for the starting QB job. I get the impression from browsing here that y'all are very unimpressed with his play. :D If you could, summarize what you think his issues were at USU and (in addition), why did he apparently get dismissed from the team? Local media has said that it didn't have to do with him breaking any laws but that's about it.
These users thanked the author FDTerritory for the post:
taniataylor

Roy McAvoy

Re: The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 27th, 2021, 9:07 am

FDTerritory wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 8:58 am

Missouri State football coach Bobby Petrino announced today (out of the blue) that Jason Shelley has transferred to MSU and will be competing for the starting QB job. I get the impression from browsing here that y'all are very unimpressed with his play. :D If you could, summarize what you think his issues were at USU and (in addition), why did he apparently get dismissed from the team? Local media has said that it didn't have to do with him breaking any laws but that's about it.
Hey FDTerritory, thanks for stopping in. The Jason Shelley situation at USU was destined to fail from the start. The head coach (Gary A) brought him in right before the season and immediately created a big locker room rift because USU had their starter in place, but everyone knew Gary A was bringing in Shelley to start. Gary also had connections to University of Utah and it's known that he loves the Utah kids.

So a combination of the sticky situation & no time with the offense, the horrible offensive system installed, and Shelley's shortcomings at QB it was a disaster. He was kicked off the team essentially because of inter team fighting. I think he also thought he would come to USU & just dominate because he had played for Utah.

Shelley is athletic though and does have some talent. Here's a highlight of his biggest career game when he led Utah to a big comeback win over BYUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-H-gm6-6rE.

I think there's a chance he could be a very serviceable QB for Missouri State.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
FDTerritory

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 27th, 2021, 9:10 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 9:07 am
FDTerritory wrote:

Hey FDTerritory, thanks for stopping in. The Jason Shelley situation at USU was destined to fail from the start. The head coach (Gary A) brought him in right before the season and immediately created a big locker room rift because USU had their starter in place, but everyone knew Gary A was bringing in Shelley to start. Gary also had connections to University of Utah and it's known that he loves the Utah kids.

So a combination of the sticky situation & no time with the offense, the horrible offensive system installed, and Shelley's shortcomings at QB it was a disaster. He was kicked off the team essentially because of inter team fighting. I think he also thought he would come to USU & just dominate because he had played for Utah.

Shelley is athletic though and does have some talent. Here's a highlight of his biggest career game when he led Utah to a big comeback win over BYUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-H-gm6-6rE.

I agreed with Roy. Actually, Jason Shelley was wholly unimpressive this last year. He didn't throw well at all and he actually appeared less athletic than advertised. Then off the field there was a bunch of crap anyway like Roy mentioned. It ended with USU having a disastrous season. I think Shelley is better than he showed at USU. I hope he can do well at Missouri State. Thanks for stopping by!
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
FDTerritory

FDTerritory

Post by FDTerritory » July 27th, 2021, 11:40 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Interesting video. I like the athleticism, but I'm not crazy about the mechanics. He's got a really strange angle on his arm at release...almost like he's trying to sidearm way too much. Was that an issue that was addressed at USU, or did they just go with what he was doing?
AggieFBObsession

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » July 27th, 2021, 2:11 pm

This is the basketball forum dudez

FDTerritory

Post by FDTerritory » July 27th, 2021, 3:37 pm

sancho839 wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 2:11 pm
DANG IT I PUT THE THREAD IN THE WRONG PLACE WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME :D
USU78

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 27th, 2021, 7:45 pm

FDTerritory wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 3:37 pm
sancho839 wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 2:11 pm
DANG IT I PUT THE THREAD IN THE WRONG PLACE WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME :D
No worries. I fixed it.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » July 27th, 2021, 8:08 pm

FDTerritory wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 11:40 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Interesting video. I like the athleticism, but I'm not crazy about the mechanics. He's got a really strange angle on his arm at release...almost like he's trying to sidearm way too much. Was that an issue that was addressed at USU, or did they just go with what he was doing?
I'm not aware of Shelly's throwing motion ever being fixed. In fact, I've always thought that he has a weak arm. As mentioned part of the blame is on the coaches and the lack of talent that they put around him. Part of the blame is on Shelly because he didn't have a deep ball that had anyone at all concerned. No deep ball, you can't keep a defense honest.

coolag

Re: Jason Shelley

Post by coolag » July 27th, 2021, 8:08 pm

F him F them F all of em.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
ineptimusprime

Regulator of Class

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » July 27th, 2021, 8:36 pm

If Bobby Petrino is your HC, then Jason Shelly is a one of the least of your concerns.
If you didn't know,, Petrino was once a coach here for a bit.
there are a few people I would never hire or associate with, he is one.
but thanks for stopping by.....don't expect Jason Shelley to be some kind of hero, that aint going to happen.
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post:
AggieFBObsession

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 27th, 2021, 8:53 pm

FDTerritory wrote:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Im sorry, this just made me laugh so hard my side hurts!!

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » July 27th, 2021, 8:58 pm

FDTerritory wrote:

I forgot to add one thing. The QB position is a position that requires leadership more than any other. Jason Shelley is not a leader. Enough said. That's all you really need to know.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 27th, 2021, 9:02 pm

coolag wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 8:08 pm

Here’s an actual recording of Shelley addressing his teammates and coaches last year.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessioncoolag

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 27th, 2021, 9:09 pm

FDTerritory wrote:

People might try to say nice things about Jason Shelley to make you feel better about the circumstances your team finds itself in, but that’s the only reason you’ll hear nice things around here.

My take — Gary Andersen’s decision to bring Jason Shelley on late and run off Henry Colombi (who started much of the year at Texas Tech last year) may have been one of the single worst decisions I have ever seen a human being make in any context, may well have cost Gary Andersen’s job, and may have been the single biggest reason (of many) that may have set our program back years.

I don’t think Jason Shelley is a team cancer or a bad person, but I do think he placed himself into a bad situation here at USU and it predictably did not end well at all for all parties.

He should have known that accepting a scholarship to USU at the last minute when the team had all played with another expected QB1 all spring was not going to be well-received by the team. Seems he hasn’t really learned his lesson there, because he is showing up late to the party at Missouri St. this year. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes as they say.

I think Shelley is a borderline D1 football player that sees himself as a P5 starting quarterback, but should be playing backup safety at a MAC school somewhere, not quarterback.

This may seem pretty harsh, but I actually feel like I held back. If you have the time, I’d encourage you to use the search function on this forum and search Shelley’s name.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on July 27th, 2021, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionIntermeddlerJSHarvey

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 27th, 2021, 9:25 pm

taniataylor wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 8:53 pm
FDTerritory wrote:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Im sorry, this just made me laugh so hard my side hurts!!
I mean, at least it sounds like he learned from his mistake of joining a lower-level school than his prior school at the very last minute. :lol:

FDTerritory — I’ll spoil the ending for you. The guy you were expecting to be the starter is going to transfer to a higher level school and earn the starting job. Jason Shelley will then drag your program into the abyss.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Lambchops

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 27th, 2021, 9:35 pm

FDTerritory wrote:

He didn’t break any laws is about the nicest thing you can say about his tenure here.

Hope it works out for him in a new setting.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » July 27th, 2021, 9:37 pm

FDTerritory wrote:

He’s gone, and so is the dumb (I can't express myself without swearing) that brought him into our program. What a (I can't express myself without swearing) disaster. Thank God we’ve moved on from both.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 28th, 2021, 1:05 am

I can't speak to any of the off the field stuff and wish your team and Mr. Shelley the best. My observations about Shelley.

1. He is a short average athlete playing QB without qb qualities, football iq, or football insi
ncts.
2. He wastes the athleticism he does have because he has poor pocket presence, cannot execute the read option or RPO and sees the field poorly as a runner.
3. He has no clue how to read a defense and progressions are foreign to him as are hot reads and audibles.
4. He has a weak arm.
5. He is terribly inaccurate to thme point he screws up his receivers routes and makes them look terrible because they have no clue where the ball will be placed from throw to throw.
6. He can sometimes place a short side out or a slant in a decent spot but anything else will fall somewhere within a 10 yard window for short and intermediate throws and 30 yards for deep throws.
7. His lineman and receivers visibly show contempt for his play.
8. Teams will load up the box with 8 or 9 man fronts all game and rightfully so.

The positives:

He doesn't throw a lot of picks because dbs and lbs are just as confused as his receivers.

I don't know about off the field stuff except he bragged about what a terrible and lazy safety he was after the Utes let him play there.

I never watched his QB play with the Utes but I guess he had his moments but Utah qbs are so bad I guess he looked like he fit in a bit there. Nonetheless they wouldn't even let him play QB in the end.

So good luck with that.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
AgliciousAggieFBObsession

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 28th, 2021, 9:16 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 9:02 pm
coolag wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 8:08 pm

Here’s an actual recording of Shelley addressing his teammates and coaches last year.
This is a top 3 movie for me, regardless of season.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
ineptimusprime

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 28th, 2021, 9:20 am

FDTerritory wrote:

Yeah, he's not good. In fact, he is probably the worst starting QB USU had since 2006 and that's considering we had to start 3rd and 4th string true Freshman at QB due to injuries for a few years in 2013 and 2014. I'm dead serious, he's just not good.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 28th, 2021, 9:23 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 27th, 2021, 9:09 pm
FDTerritory wrote:

People might try to say nice things about Jason Shelley to make you feel better about the circumstances your team finds itself in, but that’s the only reason you’ll hear nice things around here.

My take — Gary Andersen’s decision to bring Jason Shelley on late and run off Henry Colombi (who started much of the year at Texas Tech last year) may have been one of the single worst decisions I have ever seen a human being make in any context, may well have cost Gary Andersen’s job, and may have been the single biggest reason (of many) that may have set our program back years.

I don’t think Jason Shelley is a team cancer or a bad person, but I do think he placed himself into a bad situation here at USU and it predictably did not end well at all for all parties.

He should have known that accepting a scholarship to USU at the last minute when the team had all played with another expected QB1 all spring was not going to be well-received by the team. Seems he hasn’t really learned his lesson there, because he is showing up late to the party at Missouri St. this year. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes as they say.

I think Shelley is a borderline D1 football player that sees himself as a P5 starting quarterback, but should be playing backup safety at a MAC school somewhere, not quarterback.

This may seem pretty harsh, but I actually feel like I held back. If you have the time, I’d encourage you to use the search function on this forum and search Shelley’s name.
I don't blame Shelley for accepting a scholarship that was offered to him, regardless of the current QB situation. Every college athlete thinks they're going to be a starter - especially one coming from P5 to G5. I very, very much blame Gary Andersen for his appalling lack of judgement in bringing Shelley to USU in the first place. (Many of Gary's public decisions since he left USU the first time has left a lot to be desired.)

I'm sure Jason Shelley is a good person outside of football (the vast majority of people are), but he was not put in a good situation by the USU coaches, he is not nearly as talented as he believes (and as he has been lead to believe by others like Gary Andersen), and he did not react well AT ALL to those poor situations.

For the OP : I know you didn't come here to just have us say nice things regardless of how we really felt, but if you want to hear some nice things about Shelley, the University of Utah board probably would be kinder...he did help lead them to a win against BYU. :lol:

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 28th, 2021, 10:31 am

Yeah the blame falls on the Corvallis quitter. He never should have been hired and couldnt have been fired soon enough. Shelley at a lower level with a better coaching staff and better chemistry with his teammates may do better. It was just a poor situation in logan.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 28th, 2021, 10:55 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 10:31 am
Yeah the blame falls on the Corvallis quitter. He never should have been hired and couldnt have been fired soon enough. Shelley at a lower level with a better coaching staff and better chemistry with his teammates may do better. It was just a poor situation in logan.
The ridiculous thing is Shelley is joining his new team about the same time he joined the Aggies a year ago. Missouri State had one of the their better seasons last year in quite awhile and their main contributor at QB from last season just bailed. Sound familiar???
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOAggie formerly in Hawaii

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » July 28th, 2021, 11:20 am

Rings a bell. I heard Missouri State has a coach that was once highly sought, but then had an embarrassing fall from grace. It all feels eerily familiar.
Last edited by BustaMcNutt on July 28th, 2021, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author BustaMcNutt for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in Hawaii3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsession

captain68
Has thanked: 0

Post by captain68 » July 28th, 2021, 11:33 am

Jason Shelly helped contribute to one of the darkest years of Aggie football that I have seen in the past decade. Was he the only cause of the issues we experienced, no probably not, but he was certainly a catalyst. He divided the locker room, threw temper tantrums when he didn’t get his way, and was probably the worst QB we’ve had play here at Utah state since before I can remember. The fact that another program has picked him up and claims he may be competing for starting minutes just makes me shake my head.
These users thanked the author captain68 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyAggieFBObsession

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 28th, 2021, 11:50 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 10:55 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 10:31 am
The ridiculous thing is Shelley is joining his new team about the same time he joined the Aggies a year ago. Missouri State had one of the their better seasons last year in quite awhile and their main contributor at QB from last season just bailed. Sound familiar???
Yeah it could be a repeat situation. I dont really know if I believe petrino still has it either. We will see.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » July 28th, 2021, 12:46 pm

He’s an angry young man, cameras often caught him screaming at teammates and coaches on the sideline during games. Would not want him in my locker room- and I typically disagree with speaking badly about young athletes online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author BleedAggieBlue0 for the post (total 3):
aggies22FloridaAggie13AggieFBObsession

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » July 28th, 2021, 4:43 pm

Well, your fight song is also called the Scotsman... so you've got that going for you in terms of acclimation.

I guess I'll be the only one to disagree here. I think that Shelley was thrown into a hot mess thanks to GA and Maille. I think he did poorly in that mess, but given different circumstances (like an offensive line, and an offensive game plan), things could be different at Missouri State.

Let's see how it shakes, but I bet he has a decent season.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 28th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 4:43 pm
Well, your fight song is also called the Scotsman... so you've got that going for you in terms of acclimation.

I guess I'll be the only one to disagree here. I think that Shelley was thrown into a hot mess thanks to GA and Maille. I think he did poorly in that mess, but given different circumstances (like an offensive line, and an offensive game plan), things could be different at Missouri State.

Let's see how it shakes, but I bet he has a decent season.
That is how I feel. Unfortunately for him he did transfer way late in the game again which will hurt him, but his talent should be fine at that level. A bad fit in logan, but the blame falls on the stupidity of a bad coach more than a player who just was taking s scholarship.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
3rdGenAggie

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » July 28th, 2021, 8:54 pm

To the OP, here's an evening news discussion of Shelley's dismissal that presents some abysmal stats he compiled during his time here.

https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/u ... from-team/

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 28th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Man, if only someone had warned everyone that re-hiring Gary Andersen was a very, VERY bad idea. And had not been crucified for stating that.

I am now officially accepting apologies.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 3):
AngusAg3rdGenAggieUSU78

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 29th, 2021, 5:45 am

LKGates wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 11:33 pm
Man, if only someone had warned everyone that re-hiring Gary Andersen was a very, VERY bad idea. And had not been crucified for stating that.

Well, none of us are JH, so not sure what any of us around here could have done to stop it...................

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 29th, 2021, 5:51 am

2004AG wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 5:45 am
LKGates wrote:

Well, none of us are JH, so not sure what any of us around here could have done to stop it...................
And none of us are Jim Laub either.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 29th, 2021, 9:01 am

LKGates wrote:

I was in the same boat and got roasted for it.
There were a few of us that knew it would be a disaster. People just loved him for what he did the first time and couldnt see he wasnt the same guy.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 29th, 2021, 9:44 am

Shelley was the worst starting QB we've had at USU in quite some time. He might be one of the 5 worst all time. I wish him luck elsewhere.
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic