Forfeits if Covid is an issue

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Forfeits if Covid is an issue

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 7:56 am

The Mountain West has made a statement that if a team is unable to take the field cause of Covid, Games will be forfeited. And NOT cancelled, postponed or rescheduled. The SEC and a number of conferences have done the same. It will likely be done by all conferences eventually.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

CaptainChaos

Re: Forfeits if Covid is an issue

Post by CaptainChaos » July 22nd, 2021, 8:28 am

The article I read it sounds like the commissioner called out Boise State specifically- maybe I misread it, but they are low. I wonder how USU is?

Full

Post by Full » July 22nd, 2021, 8:58 am

I found this article interesting. Specifically this quote: “…schools could be required to recoup lost television revenue, ticket sales and other financial compensation from the forfeiting school.” I don’t know if that is policy, but that sounds like serious consequences.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 9:04 am

It was posted elsewhere that we are only at 15 percent.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » July 22nd, 2021, 9:07 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 9:04 am
The article on KSL say's we are around 60%.
These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post:
aggies22

Full

Post by Full » July 22nd, 2021, 9:08 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 9:04 am
From the article in my last post: “Utah State first-year coach Blake Anderson didn't have exact numbers, but said his team is around 60% vaccinated, including himself and the coaching staff. He's unsure if the team will be 100% fully vaccinated by the season's start date on Sept. 4 at Washington State.”

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » July 22nd, 2021, 9:08 am

These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 22nd, 2021, 9:17 am

I hope no games are cancelled because Aggie players test positive for COVID. From the article they are really putting the pressure to get vaccinated. Unvaccinated players and coaches will have to get tested weekly and the conference will not subsidize the testing costs. Whether players are pro vaccine or anti vaccine I would imagine it will cause a lot of strife if key players have to miss games that are not vaccinated or force the team to forfeit. According to Blake the team is at ~60%, hopefully by the season they can get that above 80%.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 22nd, 2021, 9:35 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 9:17 am
I hope no games are cancelled because Aggie players test positive for COVID. From the article they are really putting the pressure to get vaccinated. Unvaccinated players and coaches will have to get tested weekly and the conference will not subsidize the testing costs. Whether players are pro vaccine or anti vaccine I would imagine it will cause a lot of strife if key players have to miss games that are not vaccinated or force the team to forfeit. According to Blake the team is at ~60%, hopefully by the season they can get that above 80%.
I think the NFL has done it the right way, very strict and restrictive protocols for unvaccinated players. Mandatory daily testing, no use of saunas or steam rooms, no eating with the rest of the team, mandatory masks whenever traveling or using team facilities, limited access to workout facilities, mandatory quarantine if exposed. $50,000 minimum fine for violating the rules. They have made it a major pain to be unvaccinated.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025BLUERUFiOUSUaggieQuackAttackAggie

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » July 22nd, 2021, 10:01 am

I have a good faith question and don't want this to devolve into a political or philosophical discussion, but at what point, if ever, will someone be able to play with COVID? Players have played with colds, the flu and probably any number of other illnesses in the past. Let's suppose an entire team is vaccinated, meeting the conference requirements, but a player nonetheless contracts COVID? Can he play if he feels well enough to do so? What if he plays not knowing he had it, but later finds out? Again, I'm not asking what one might argue is prudent or "responsible," rather what are or what will be the rules on this thing?
These users thanked the author BigBlueBlood for the post:
FloridaAggie13

bpd

Post by bpd » July 22nd, 2021, 10:08 am

I listened to an interview with Craig Thompson yesterday. He is big on the vaccine (and he is correct). He basically said the science proves that the vaccines work and he can't force players to get it, but the science is there. I get the feeling he won't feel sorry for teams that have outbreaks because they are not vaccinated. He also mentioned TV contracts, etc...

If I am Blake Anderson, I set up a vaccine clinic outside the locker tomorrow and then again in 3 weeks and explain the science behind it.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieSl7vk

Full

Post by Full » July 22nd, 2021, 10:32 am

BigBlueBlood wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 10:01 am
I have a good faith question and don't want this to devolve into a political or philosophical discussion, but at what point, if ever, will someone be able to play with COVID? Players have played with colds, the flu and probably any number of other illnesses in the past. Let's suppose an entire team is vaccinated, meeting the conference requirements, but a player nonetheless contracts COVID? Can he play if he feels well enough to do so? What if he plays not knowing he had it, but later finds out? Again, I'm not asking what one might argue is prudent or "responsible," rather what are or what will be the rules on this thing?
With asymptomatic breakthrough cases, although rare, my guess is someone vaccinated will play this season not knowing they had it. Also, without testing it’s possible a player that has been vaccinated will develop symptoms a few days after the game.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 22nd, 2021, 10:34 am

BigBlueBlood wrote:
I would feel pretty confident in saying "not this year". I'd even guess that players/teams/coaches might play it more safe this year with anyone not feeling well, even if they're vaccinated (break-through infections are still very much a thing). So we probably won't have a story like Zach Vigil getting a sack, going to throw up on the sidelines, then coming back in for a double tackle.

COVID-19 fear or hesitancy will probably still remain somewhat strong among the population for a while yet. I'm not sure how long we'll see mass testing and protocols in place specifically for this virus, but I expect it will probably last a bit longer than it's really necessary. (Sorry, might be straying into the "political" realm here as I know some will say it isn't necessary now.)

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 10:50 am

What a mess
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 10:55 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 10:34 am
BigBlueBlood wrote:
I would feel pretty confident in saying "not this year". I'd even guess that players/teams/coaches might play it more safe this year with anyone not feeling well, even if they're vaccinated (break-through infections are still very much a thing). So we probably won't have a story like Zach Vigil getting a sack, going to throw up on the sidelines, then coming back in for a double tackle.

COVID-19 fear or hesitancy will probably still remain somewhat strong among the population for a while yet. I'm not sure how long we'll see mass testing and protocols in place specifically for this virus, but I expect it will probably last a bit longer than it's really necessary. (Sorry, might be straying into the "political" realm here as I know some will say it isn't necessary now.)
One counterpoint is that everyone who plays sports has heard the story of Michael Jordan's flu game, and thinks if he can do it, so can they.

Also, it may depend on where the player is at on the depth chart and who the next opponent is. Teams might ask backup players, or even starters who aren't quite the stars that carry them and have minimal drop off to the backup, to stay home, or even the stars when it's an opponent they should beat, not necessarily one they overmatch and can just show up and beat, but one they are still going to be favored over. But still let the stars of the team play if it's a big game against another top team that you are going to need everyone for.

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » July 22nd, 2021, 12:29 pm

bpd wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 10:08 am
I listened to an interview with Craig Thompson yesterday. He is big on the vaccine (and he is correct). He basically said the science proves that the vaccines work and he can't force players to get it, but the science is there. I get the feeling he won't feel sorry for teams that have outbreaks because they are not vaccinated. He also mentioned TV contracts, etc...

If I am Blake Anderson, I set up a vaccine clinic outside the locker tomorrow and then again in 3 weeks and explain the science behind it.
Thank God your not Blake Anderson then!!!

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 22nd, 2021, 12:34 pm

aggiefan444 wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 12:29 pm
bpd wrote:

Yeah, how dare he teach the players to think logically and rationally and to become more scientifically literate! Oh the horror!
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggie84025

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 22nd, 2021, 1:15 pm

I think this just sets up a scenario where there is now a division among players that are supposed to be one team and have each other's backs. By dangling the "reward" of having no required testing to those that have chosen to get the shot, the conference is essentially telling those that choose not to get it that they are the problem or are somehow lesser or at fault if there becomes an issue with positive cases on the team. While those that are vaccinated have added protection to Covid affecting their own body, reality is that those that are vaccinated are still susceptible to being a carrier or passing it on to others.

Without going too far down a rabbit hole I would have liked to see a policy that treats everyone the same. Testing for all or testing for none. In the end, everything we know points to this demographic of people not being at a risk level necessary of this type of response. I hope handing out forfeits due to potential testing results doesn't come to fruition for any team.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 1:36 pm

Aglicious wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 1:15 pm
I think this just sets up a scenario where there is now a division among players that are supposed to be one team and have each other's backs. By dangling the "reward" of having no required testing to those that have chosen to get the shot, the conference is essentially telling those that choose not to get it that they are the problem or are somehow lesser or at fault if there becomes an issue with positive cases on the team. While those that are vaccinated have added protection to Covid affecting their own body, reality is that those that are vaccinated are still susceptible to being a carrier or passing it on to others.

Without going too far down a rabbit hole I would have liked to see a policy that treats everyone the same. Testing for all or testing for none. In the end, everything we know points to this demographic of people not being at a risk level necessary of this type of response. I hope handing out forfeits due to potential testing results doesn't come to fruition for any team.
Every player has the same opportunity to get vaccinated for the reward of no testing.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 22nd, 2021, 1:53 pm

Hmm, so we might get a forfeit win vs a team that would otherwise beat us (most of the teams on our schedule) - seems like a good way to win the over bet for season wins.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 22nd, 2021, 2:04 pm

What are the parameters surrounding a forfeiture - what metrics need to be met where the MWC calls the game? One person with COVID? Four?

What happens if a vaccinated player tests positive for COVID and this causes the forfeit?

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 22nd, 2021, 2:05 pm

ViAggie wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 10:50 am
What a mess
You of all people know that I'm biting my tongue, lest this end up in the sandbox.

Serenity now. Serenity now... :cheers:

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 22nd, 2021, 2:25 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 2:05 pm
ViAggie wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 10:50 am
What a mess
You of all people know that I'm biting my tongue, lest this end up in the sandbox.

Serenity now. Serenity now... :cheers:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
FloridaAggie13

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 22nd, 2021, 2:59 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 2:04 pm
What are the parameters surrounding a forfeiture - what metrics need to be met where the MWC calls the game? One person with COVID? Four?

What happens if a vaccinated player tests positive for COVID and this causes the forfeit?
This is what comes from having fully 1/3 of our FB-playing teams lying in the People's Republics of Pacific Oceania!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 3:33 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 2:04 pm

Probably way more than four. More like enough players that a team isn't able to compete with how few they have available, or an entire position group being out, but the game would go on as scheduled if a team is even able to use a 230 pound tight end playing offensive line, or a receiver playing quarterback who previously only played in high school.

You would hope that this year, they only make players who test positive themselves stay home, and NOT all their roommates, especially vaccinated ones. And that players are only being forced to test, having the opportunity to test positive asymptomatically in the first place, if they are unvaccinated.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » July 23rd, 2021, 2:10 am

aggiefan444 wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 12:29 pm
bpd wrote:

Argues with a quote about science, uses the wrong “your.” Goes together like chocolate and peanut butter.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » July 23rd, 2021, 9:19 am

I think this is the right stance for the conference and the right take by BA.
Getting the players vaccinated helps ensure their safety, helps ensure I get to watch football, and helps ensure revenue streams to the AD.
To me that's a win, win, win.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 23rd, 2021, 9:38 am

Sad state of affairs when vaccination to stop a pandemic becomes a political issue.

Just get vaccinated peeps — you can still vote for Trump.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieSl7vk

Locked Previous topicNext topic