Aggies picked to finish 5th in the Division

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » July 21st, 2021, 9:30 am

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Aggies picked to finish 5th in the Division

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 21st, 2021, 9:35 am

I think we'll do better than that. I think our floor is 4 and our ceiling if everything pans out and we stay healthy at key positions is 2.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieAggieFBObsession

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 21st, 2021, 10:01 am

Locker Room material
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionJSHarvey

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » July 21st, 2021, 10:25 am

I think it’s fair. Love the direction we are headed but this isn’t going to be a overnight rebuild. I think we are still 2-3 years out.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » July 21st, 2021, 10:28 am

I'm not surprised at all about this, but I also wouldn't be surprised if USU blew away everybody's expectations. Honestly this is the most unsure I've ever felt about a season lol. Really have no idea what to expect.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 21st, 2021, 11:58 am

Seems fair to me. I do think we can finish 3rd or better in the division, but am not surprised by the ranking.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » July 21st, 2021, 1:21 pm

Is San Jose possibly on the up and up or is this just an outlier and they will be awful again for decades?

aws08

Post by aws08 » July 21st, 2021, 1:37 pm

Hey Aggie Nation, this is Ajay Salvesen. Love reading your thoughts/opinions on Aggie sports - always great content. Can't wait for Football season to get here! Pullman, Washington on September 4th is going to be fun! Keep up the great work, & Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author aws08 for the post (total 9):
BLUERUFiOAggie84025ViAggieaggieguy13utahcountyaggieaggies22BigBlueDartflying_scotsman2.0ProvoAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 21st, 2021, 1:38 pm

aws08 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 1:37 pm
Hey Aggie Nation, this is Ajay Salvesen. Love reading your thoughts/opinions on Aggie sports - always great content. Can't wait for Football season to get here! Pullman, Washington on September 4th is going to be fun! Keep up the great work, & Go Aggies!
Ajay! You should come around here & participate often. It'd be fun to have you. I enjoy the radio show on my drive home from work.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aws08

aws08

Post by aws08 » July 21st, 2021, 1:44 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 1:38 pm
aws08 wrote:
Ajay! You should come around here & participate often. It'd be fun to have you. I enjoy the radio show on my drive home from work.
Roy, thank you so much for the compliment & especially for listening - greatly appreciate you! Yeah, I would LOVE to stop in - have a Q&A on football & good discussion on this upcoming season! I see bright spots that have me more optimistic than the preseason poll does of where the Aggies finish. Of course, how healthy they can stay, the death row stretch (Air Force, BYU, Boise State) & winning a couple key road games will play a big factor into it all.
These users thanked the author aws08 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 21st, 2021, 1:55 pm

aws08 wrote:
It's surprising how little you guys actually talk about USU athletics on your radio program, it should be 70-80% of your content IMO (similar to KALL 700 and the Utes). When you do, it's rarely that insightful as to what's really going on behind the scenes but rather, is just conjecture or surface-level info.

Can you please get an insider on your program or someone who could actually share interesting information and discuss the topics related to USU that fans want to know about? Thanks.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

aws08

Post by aws08 » July 21st, 2021, 2:05 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 1:55 pm
aws08 wrote:
It's surprising how little you guys actually talk about USU athletics on your radio program, it should be 70-80% of your content IMO (similar to KALL 700 and the Utes). When you do, it's rarely that insightful as to what's really going on behind the scenes but rather, is just conjecture or surface-level info.

Can you please get an insider on your program or someone who could actually share interesting information and discuss the topics related to USU that fans want to know about? Thanks.
Hi OCAggie, I do appreciate the suggestions & listening to the show. As the radio engineer for the Aggie Football/Basketball Radio broadcasts there is information I do receive - but 95% of the time I am not allowed to say anything or very little. Doing so could ruin the trust I have with USU Athletics that I've worked so hard to build with & get me in trouble. I'll do a better job of giving you numbers & stats on games & what I am hearing/seeing at practices. But in regards of "behind-the-scenes" stuff I'll be careful of what I share. I hope that makes sense, & if the answer is not to your satisfactory I do apologize. Hope all is well for you.
These users thanked the author aws08 for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025BustaMcNuttflying_scotsman2.0PIGSKINAGGIE

stang

Post by stang » July 21st, 2021, 2:14 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aws08 wrote:

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttFull

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 21st, 2021, 2:24 pm

aws08 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 2:05 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aws08 wrote:

Hi OCAggie, I do appreciate the suggestions & listening to the show. As the radio engineer for the Aggie Football/Basketball Radio broadcasts there is information I do receive - but 95% of the time I am not allowed to say anything or very little. Doing so could ruin the trust I have with USU Athletics that I've worked so hard to build with & get me in trouble. I'll do a better job of giving you numbers & stats on games & what I am hearing/seeing at practices. But in regards of "behind-the-scenes" stuff I'll be careful of what I share. I hope that makes sense, & if the answer is not to your satisfactory I do apologize. Hope all is well for you.

I understand there's a fine line on what you can and cannot share. That said, there's a massive void in quality Aggie sports news/information/sports talk that the SLC media (including USU's "flagship" station) outright refuses to cover. Your program has a great opportunity to fill some of that void but instead you talk mostly about baseball, Tom Brady, what you had for lunch, BYU and whatever else. Please talk more Aggies - that's all I'm saying.

Thanks for joining the convo.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » July 21st, 2021, 4:09 pm

aws08 wrote:Hey Aggie Nation, this is Ajay Salvesen. Love reading your thoughts/opinions on Aggie sports - always great content. Can't wait for Football season to get here! Pullman, Washington on September 4th is going to be fun! Keep up the great work, & Go Aggies!
Great to see you pop your Aggie board cherry and say hello Ajay!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 21st, 2021, 5:00 pm

aws08 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aws08 wrote:

I feel your pain my man!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 21st, 2021, 7:17 pm

AggieMan5 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 10:25 am
I think it’s fair. Love the direction we are headed but this isn’t going to be a overnight rebuild. I think we are still 2-3 years out.
As do I. I'd love to see an immediate turnaround, but am not expecting it.

Also these early season predictions aren't that scientific. Basically they go by your record last year and who you brought back and there you go. Hopefully we can surprise some people.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 21st, 2021, 7:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 5:00 pm
aws08 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aws08 wrote:

I feel your pain my man!
I imagine it is an interesting experience having knowledge about certain things that people on here are debating, but not being able to disclose anything about it.

stang

Post by stang » July 21st, 2021, 7:23 pm

As much as I hope that the players and coaches feel "disrespected" by this ranking, I think it's right where they should be. I have faith in this new staff and I think that they've made a lot of solid progress roster-wise this offseason, but I just have a hard time sharing the optimism that many seem to feel.

I'm expecting 3-4 wins this year, and for other games (Boise State, BYU, etc.) to be much more competitive than last year. five or six wins would be a great season, and anything above that would just be incredible. I know last year was a weird season and there were a lot of crazy things that happened, but this year's team could be way, way better than last year and still not be very good. As long as they're making good progress though, I'll be happy.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 21st, 2021, 7:44 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 7:18 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 5:00 pm
aws08 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aws08 wrote:

I feel your pain my man!
I imagine it is an interesting experience having knowledge about certain things that people on here are debating, but not being able to disclose anything about it.
It certainly can be my Aggie brother.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » July 21st, 2021, 7:58 pm

So is there any point in having insider info if you can never share? Seems like on the National scene breaking a story doesn’t ruin a sports journalist, but maybe a local market is different

As for the OP - I agree with those that say this is probably where we should be preseason, seems like the most likely scenario, but I think we can definitely do better. I would not be surprised to see is here at the end of the season, but still feel much more excited about the program to than last year.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » July 21st, 2021, 8:39 pm

I figure that's where we should be. This is also a great year to let money ride on the Aggies and the spread.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Full

Post by Full » July 21st, 2021, 11:09 pm

stang wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 7:23 pm
As much as I hope that the players and coaches feel "disrespected" by this ranking, I think it's right where they should be. I have faith in this new staff and I think that they've made a lot of solid progress roster-wise this offseason, but I just have a hard time sharing the optimism that many seem to feel.

I'm expecting 3-4 wins this year, and for other games (Boise State, BYU, etc.) to be much more competitive than last year. five or six wins would be a great season, and anything above that would just be incredible. I know last year was a weird season and there were a lot of crazy things that happened, but this year's team could be way, way better than last year and still not be very good. As long as they're making good progress though, I'll be happy.
Even with the team last year with an interim coach and missing half the coaches we could have won 4 games.

My ranking of teams -

Probable losses:

Washington State - They have P5 recruiting and win at home. They compete with most teams in the PAC-12 and I expect them to come out improved over last year with an offseason with the new head coach. However, the toughest game on the schedule is usually a top 15 program. This year the most difficult game on the schedule features a team with some flaws and the potential for an upset if USU can win the turnover battle. I don't think this game will cause the injury report to expand like most money games in the past.

San Jose State - The defending Mountain West Champs have earned the right to be here (although I think Nevada will be better). They kept their coach and are playing with a lot of confidence after winning every regular season game last season with only a loss to Ball State in their bowl game, in a bowl game that saw many players out for the final game of the season.

Boise State - Even with a new coach I expect Boise will keep winning with their talented recruiting classes every season and lots of retuning starters. They have two QB's who would start for most MW teams. The new coach might finally be the one that fails , but I don't expect that to be the case.

BYU - I don't know what to expect, but with the amount of production lost I think they fall behind Boise but should still be able to beat USU. Any team on the schedule is beatable, and BYU has a lot of questions they will have answered after playing three PAS-12 South teams and USF. It's a rivalry game in Logan, so anything can happen.

Wyoming - They return a bunch of opt outs and players that had breakout seasons in 2021. The defense will keep them in every game. Their running game should be good, but Sean Chambers needs to get better for the offense to win games.

Air Force - Air Force this season, like every season has a lot of questions. However, they have proven that they will play their style of football at a high level every year.

Toss-up:

Hawaii - I'm not sure Todd Graham promoting his son to Offensive Coordinator is a good hire or not. I do know that they have a really good secondary but a suspect defensive line. If USU can run the ball, it could be trouble for a Hawaii defense that returns much of the same team that struggled last season.

Probable Wins:

New Mexico - This was a win last year, and while I think both teams will be improved with an offseason, I don't think they will improve enough.

Colorado State - Their best players are receivers, and slated QB1 Todd Centeio completed 38.9% of his 36 pass attempts last season as a backup to Patrick O'Brien who left for the transfer portal. They might need a few recruiting cycles to build the offense the way Addazio want to play, because it's still Bobo's players on the roster. They also want to run the ball, but only averaged 3.0 yards per carry last season. On special teams, Savon Scarver could have a great day if they kick to him. They have a punter in Stonehouse that is so good, he outkicks the coverage and special teams was allowing nice returns far to often.

UNLV - They are not good yet. Recruiting has been good, but it will take time before they are able to build the team.

North Dakota - FCS, and although they are a good FCS team, but still start with less scholarships. I don't see an embarrassing loss here.

New Mexico State - They got blown out by Tarleton State and almost lost to Dixie State just four months ago. They are the favorite for worst FBS team, and the only thing that scares me is their motivation will be high just to get a win.

coolag

Post by coolag » July 21st, 2021, 11:17 pm

Ouch. Thanks Gary.

Regulator of Class

aws08

Post by aws08 » July 22nd, 2021, 1:04 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 7:58 pm
So is there any point in having insider info if you can never share? Seems like on the National scene breaking a story doesn’t ruin a sports journalist, but maybe a local market is different

As for the OP - I agree with those that say this is probably where we should be preseason, seems like the most likely scenario, but I think we can definitely do better. I would not be surprised to see is here at the end of the season, but still feel much more excited about the program to than last year.
That's a great question. And one that I don't know how to answer. I love having the information, but feel completely....I don't want to say useless but - there's nothing I can do with it. I think you're right - working in a local market is A LOT different in so many ways, but especially having information.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 22nd, 2021, 1:07 pm

coolag wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 11:17 pm
Ouch. Thanks Gary.
#ThanksGary

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 4:42 pm

It surprises me that this, the year of our lord 2021, people are still scared of Doug Hoffman and “losing access” but it is the old Mike Strauss/Doug Hoffman SID culture that has contributed as much or more to USU having the least “inside info” media coverage or any D1 school in the country.

Most schools will credential online sites and blogs and anything that gets them coverage. As far as I know USU still has in their media guide that they won’t credential any “chat sites”.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

rAggie

Post by rAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 4:47 pm

Lmaoooooo I was right.

Also, won’t credential anyone publishing gambling info? Guess that counts out ESPN, CBS, and virtually every national outlet that has embraced sports gambling.

This policy is so out of touch and out of date, but then again most everything in the media guide has remained the same since the early 2000s at least.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

usuaggies6

Post by usuaggies6 » July 22nd, 2021, 5:57 pm

Does anybody know where you can find coach anderson's and the player's interviews from media days?

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » July 22nd, 2021, 6:44 pm

Coach A here:

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 22nd, 2021, 6:59 pm

These same morons picked San Jose State to finish 5th last season.

https://themw.com/news/2020/7/21/boise- ... itles.aspx
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
ViAggie

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 23rd, 2021, 10:39 am

AussieAggieDad wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 6:44 pm
Coach A here:

I wish they would have included the questions being asked in that video, either the recording of the question or post the question text in the video as he starts answering. A little hard to follow.

Was the safety he was talking about Bond?

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » July 23rd, 2021, 10:40 am

El Sapo wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 6:59 pm
These same morons picked San Jose State to finish 5th last season.

Where did you pick the Spartans to be going into last year? I'm thinking there were a lot of morons with respect to that last year. If you weren't one of them, then kudos! You saw what a lot of us didn't, yet.

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » July 23rd, 2021, 5:36 pm

Where do you think we would be picked if the 2020 season never happened. We were down from a great season in 2019, but still went to a bowl. We change coaching staffs. We lose Love and have Bonner transferring in. We have all the other losses and additions to personnel.

Where do we get picked?

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » July 27th, 2021, 11:49 am

USUaggie wrote:
July 23rd, 2021, 5:36 pm
Where do you think we would be picked if the 2020 season never happened. We were down from a great season in 2019, but still went to a bowl. We change coaching staffs. We lose Love and have Bonner transferring in. We have all the other losses and additions to personnel.

Where do we get picked?
Well, going into the 2020 season we were picked 4th in the division.

Locked Previous topicNext topic