Returning Production

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGIEinIOWA

Returning Production

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 12th, 2021, 3:48 pm

So most of you likely saw the DesNews article discussing the rankings of each of the three Utah FBS teams in regards to returning production. USU returns 83% (37th place), Utah 80% (53rd place), and BYU is dead last (in the nation) at 35%. The national average this year is 76.7%. The national average for a typical year in the past has been 62.6% but super seniors is boosting the numbers this year.

What do these numbers tell us about what to expect from the upcoming season?

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/7/1 ... ate-aggies

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC?ref_src= ... ate-aggies
Attachments
image.png

YoungBloodAggie

Re: Returning Production

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 12th, 2021, 4:04 pm

I’ll chime in and say that returning production is obviously important and something you’d prefer to have, but it’s hard to quantify the effect. I think generally you will find that more RP = more wins, but there’s enough volatility in the individual team results that it’s not enough to go on alone. For a team like USU, I’ll go one step further and say RP is more important than for a P5 team (generally, not always). Our recruiting classes are not as stable year to year and productive starters are not easily replaced.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 12th, 2021, 4:16 pm

There's always the age old question: is it good to return a bunch of players from a terrible team?

In our specific case this year, I think it is a good thing. 2020 USU wasn't terrible because the talent was terrible, but for myriad other reasons.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 12th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Worth noting that Bill C has said that the BYU numbers are wrong. He had a typo that zeroed out the LB returning production. They climbed up to roughly 125.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 12th, 2021, 4:25 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 4:17 pm
Worth noting that Bill C has said that the BYU numbers are wrong. He had a typo that zeroed out the LB returning production. They climbed up to roughly 125.
They're returning 125% of their production?!

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 12th, 2021, 4:47 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 4:25 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Didn't you hear that they cloned Zach Wilson and he will be starting at two positions next year for them?
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
HakeemMyDream

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 12th, 2021, 5:30 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 4:47 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 4:25 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Didn't you hear that they cloned Zach Wilson and he will be starting at two positions next year for them?
Speaking of clones, has anyone actually seen Zach Wilson and his "mom" at the same time? I'm pretty sure they are the same person.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
sam tingey

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 13th, 2021, 4:24 pm

Was she over at your house last night? That would have been awkward to have him around too.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aglicious

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 13th, 2021, 4:26 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 4:04 pm
I’ll chime in and say that returning production is obviously important and something you’d prefer to have, but it’s hard to quantify the effect. I think generally you will find that more RP = more wins, but there’s enough volatility in the individual team results that it’s not enough to go on alone. For a team like USU, I’ll go one step further and say RP is more important than for a P5 team (generally, not always). Our recruiting classes are not as stable year to year and productive starters are not easily replaced.
OMG OMG, it’s you, it’s really you!! Welcome back YBA
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » July 13th, 2021, 8:20 pm

Hmmm. Using percentages re retuning USU offense production can be misleading. Last year USU played 6 games and averaged 15.5 points per game. 83 %. Of 15.5 is between 12-13 point of returning offense. BYU played 12 games and averaged 43 points per game and Utah played 5 games and averaged about 30 points ever game. Full disclosure I am a hard core Aggie fan and strongly believe they will be a much different team this year. Having said that I think it is totally meaningless to use these percentages I don’t like being a Debbie Downer but in this case I guess I am.
These users thanked the author Gljflyfloater for the post:
OKAggie

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » July 16th, 2021, 4:32 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 4:16 pm
"In our specific case this year, I think it is a good thing. 2020 USU wasn't terrible because the talent was terrible, but for myriad other reasons."
I honestly wonder what the mind-set of the team will be as soon as they really get down to practice every day ... we have yet another coach who is already playing favorites and brought a QB with him from another school ... then there's the entire give up / refuse to play fiasco because the new President of the University is a racist and a bigot ... none of it looks good :disappointed:

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 16th, 2021, 5:09 pm

AggieSkiBum wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 4:32 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
"In our specific case this year, I think it is a good thing. 2020 USU wasn't terrible because the talent was terrible, but for myriad other reasons."
I honestly wonder what the mind-set of the team will be as soon as they really get down to practice every day ... we have yet another coach who is already playing favorites and brought a QB with him from another school ... then there's the entire give up / refuse to play fiasco because the new President of the University is a racist and a bigot ... none of it looks good :disappointed:
Not sure where to start with this.

QB: there was not a starting caliber QB on the roster this off-season. Prior to the Shelly transfer there was a QB on the roster capable of starting in the Big 12.

Cockett: the woman is not a racist or a bigot. A misunderstanding does not a bigot make.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 16th, 2021, 7:04 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 5:09 pm
AggieSkiBum wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

QB: there was not a starting caliber QB on the roster this off-season. Prior to the Shelly transfer there was a QB on the roster capable of starting in the Big 12.

Cockett: the woman is not a racist or a bigot. A misunderstanding does not a bigot make.
As long as it is an open competition starting Bonner if he is the guy will not be a problem. I have a hard time believing the team is hell bent on peasley or cooper as the starter. We will see how it plays out but team chemistry looked good in spring camp. Jordan's mom or the aussie' s dad might shed more light on the team chemistry right now.
I think returning production is a little overrated as the team was horrible last year.
None of the issues are on Cockett. The whole fiasco was Gary's fault.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » July 16th, 2021, 8:37 pm

G'day Aggie84025, I spoke with my boy yesterday and he says the team is loving the new coaching staff. Right now they're working with S&C Coach Jackson. The vibe is very different to this time last year. We've already seen an early glimpse of the positivity with Spring Ball and the team building days.

My personal feeling (remembering I'm new and live a looong way away from the action) is that 2020 was an aberration. That slate has been wiped clean so we now look to the immediate future.

With the influx of newbies, coaches and players alike, along with the experience and talent of the returning players, I'm optimistic that the team will perform much better than last season.

We'll soon get a look with Fall Ball around the corner. It may take a bit of time for the new program to gel so our early games might be a little bumpy - but (hopefully) it will be fun & exciting to watch. In just 50 days we'll all find out!
:utah: :state: :scotsman:

PS: One thing I forgot to mention - Coach A was only appointed as HC in mid December so he's been in the job only 7 months. His achievements to date with recruitment of coaches and players seems pretty awesome!
Last edited by AussieAggieDad on July 16th, 2021, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post (total 7):
aggies22newhouse9BLUERUFiO3rdGenAggieAggiePTPIGSKINAGGIEChod

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 16th, 2021, 8:46 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 5:09 pm
AggieSkiBum wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Logan Bonner at least left his previous school as a quarterback, and had the option to play quarterback there if he wanted, and would have the option to play quarterback at a number of schools if we didn't want him. Shelley came here cause GA was the only coach stupid enough to bring in Shelley as a quarterback. There's a reason why not even the Sun Belt schools want him.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 16th, 2021, 8:59 pm

AussieAggieDad wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 8:37 pm
G'day Aggie84025, I spoke with my boy yesterday and he says the team is loving the new coaching staff. Right now they're working with S&C Coach Jackson. The vibe is very different to this time last year. We've already seen an early glimpse of the positivity with Spring Ball and the team building days.

My personal feeling (remembering I'm new and live a looong way away from the action) is that 2020 was an aberration. That slate has been wiped clean so we now look to the immediate future.

With the influx of newbies, coaches and players alike, along with the experience and talent of the returning players, I'm optimistic that the team will perform much better than last season.

We'll soon get a look with Fall Ball around the corner. It may take a bit of time for the new program to gel so our early games might be a little bumpy - but (hopefully) it will be fun & exciting to watch. In just 50 days we'll all find out!
:utah: :state: :scotsman:

PS: One thing I forgot to mention - Coach A was only appointed as HC in mid December so he's been in the job only 7 months. His achievements to date with recruitment of coaches and players seems pretty awesome!
Great insight. We will see when the season starts how it plays out, but what Blake has done currently he deserves an A. The disaster he walked into to the excitement surrounding the program is nothing short of a miracle.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AussieAggieDadaggies22

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 16th, 2021, 9:19 pm

I’m a bit surprised how much love BYU-P is getting considering how much production they lost. ESPN has them as our least likely matchup to win this season. Personally I think WSU on the road, Boise at home, and San Jose on the road will all be tougher games.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 16th, 2021, 9:24 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 9:19 pm
I’m a bit surprised how much love BYU-P is getting considering how much production they lost. ESPN has them as our least likely matchup to win this season. Personally I think WSU on the road, Boise at home, and San Jose on the road will all be tougher games.
Don't know what to think of them. They were really good last year but lost a lot. Not sure I would put as our least likely win but we will see. Both teams have a tough schedule to start with.

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » July 16th, 2021, 9:32 pm

A bit of context to the team chemistry!

These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post (total 4):
USU783rdGenAggieAggieFBObsessionChod

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 16th, 2021, 9:49 pm

AussieAggieDad wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 9:32 pm
A bit of context to the team chemistry!

You know what that means, right? Justin Bean is also in the weight room daily! That man is a dog.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionChod

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » July 16th, 2021, 9:52 pm

Maybe he's just passing through on his way to the lunch room! :joking:
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

KoryBowling
Has thanked: 0

Post by KoryBowling » July 17th, 2021, 8:11 am

Comments from Brandon Bowling while he was home in May:

Team is coming together very well
Team is more mature than what he experienced in Jonesboro. Players are more focused and less “I” and more team.
Coach A is really bringing everyone together quickly.
Expects the team to compete in every game!

His mom and and I are excited to be part of the Aggies family this season. Please let us know the tailgating situation?? We bought season tickets with parking pass. We like to have a good view of the game and it’s our way of donating to the the program.. I have placed my bet to win over 3.5.

See you all in September!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author KoryBowling for the post (total 8):
USU78flying_scotsman2.0aggies223rdGenAggienewtonianblueAggieFBObsessionPIGSKINAGGIEAgMan21

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 17th, 2021, 8:16 am

KoryBowling wrote:
July 17th, 2021, 8:11 am

Team is more mature than what he experienced in Jonesboro. Players are more focused and less “I” and more team.

His mom and and I are excited to be part of the Aggies family this season. Please let us know the tailgating situation?? We bought season tickets with parking pass. We like to have a good view of the game and it’s our way of donating to the the program.. I have placed my bet to win over 3.5.

Official tailgating policies here:

https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/2020 ... ating.aspx

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 17th, 2021, 9:06 am

KoryBowling wrote:

Great insight, thanks for sharing. Excited to see this team compete.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 17th, 2021, 9:10 am

KoryBowling wrote:

Hell yeah! Anytime I see someone literally put their money on our team I love it!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 19th, 2021, 9:21 am

I think this team will do much better than people outside of the program expect. There will be some things that go wrong, but I think we will see a lot of good things out on the field.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Locked Previous topicNext topic