A classic from the Emmett White years

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

A classic from the Emmett White years

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 6th, 2021, 5:22 pm

This isn't the game where he set the still standing all-purpose yards record, but he did have a 74 yard touchdown this game, at 1:11:20.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post (total 3):
AggieArmytrevordudeaggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: A classic from the Emmett White years

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2021, 7:12 pm

That Aggie team had like 6 NFL guys on it.
Last edited by aggies22 on July 8th, 2021, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Gljflyfloater

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » July 7th, 2021, 12:11 am

Great Aggie teams. Great video and it was impressive that the team had 6 NFL players. I.m old enough to remember the 1960’s even witness those great team. I’m working from memory but I’m pretty sure I’m right. Facts 1) more than 40 players in the NFL exceeded only by USC and Alabama. 2( 12 players drafted in one year. 3) The entire defensive front line all played in the NFL - Merlin Olsen Rams , Clark Miller 49ers, Lionel Aldridge GBP and Clyde Brock BC Lions and Chicago Bears. It was a great time to be a student both the football and basketball teams were consistently ranked in the ap and ups polls in the top 20. This was during the John Ralston and Tony Knapp years. John Ralston went on to coach the Denver Broncos for a number of years and Tony Knapp went on to Boise and the B C Lions. Having said all of that it feels like our new head coach and staff may take us to places we haven’t been for a very long time. What’s going on right now is really really exciting. Go aggies
These users thanked the author Gljflyfloater for the post (total 4):
aggies22osuaggie3rdGenAggievegasaggie

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 8th, 2021, 10:10 am

Wow Bruce Snyder looks way younger than I remember him being even at USU, and this was a decade plus after he left Logan. This was his last year as a HC.

Bruce guided us through, looking back on it, some strange times.
Last 2 years of independence ( 1st time around 76,77)
Won 2 Conference championships but no bowl game (78,79)
Road games @ Weber, @Idahostate, @Texas, @houston ( in the Astrodome when that as a big deal )
Games with teams that no long play football ( Long Beach, Pacific, Fullerton )

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 8th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Does video of that game Emmett White set the all-purpose yards record against NMSU exist? That would be fun to watch. I loved watching White. Everybody knew he was going to get the ball on nearly every play and they still struggled to stop him. Great player and great ambassador of Aggie football.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 8th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Gljflyfloater wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 12:11 am

Great Aggie teams. Great video and it was impressive that the team had 6 NFL players. I.m old enough to remember the 1960’s even witness those great team. I’m working from memory but I’m pretty sure I’m right. Facts 1) more than 40 players in the NFL exceeded only by USC and Alabama. 2( 12 players drafted in one year. 3) The entire defensive front line all played in the NFL - Merlin Olsen Rams , Clark Miller 49ers, Lionel Aldridge GBP and Clyde Brock BC Lions and Chicago Bears. It was a great time to be a student both the football and basketball teams were consistently ranked in the ap and ups polls in the top 20. This was during the John Ralston and Tony Knapp years. John Ralston went on to coach the Denver Broncos for a number of years and Tony Knapp went on to Boise and the B C Lions. Having said all of that it feels like our new head coach and staff may take us to places we haven’t been for a very long time. What’s going on right now is really really exciting. Go aggies

Thank you for stirring some of my memories. Yes, those were special days and a victory was anticipated with virtually from all of those AGGIE FOOTBALL games. I recall a sports writer noting that the AGGIE front four were bigger than most of the front four in the NFL!!!! What a special time to be an AGGIE. Coach Ralston was lured away by STANFORD and ended up being the Head Coach of the DENVER BRONCOS.

AGGIE Basketball was also a pleasure to watch, and the NFL DALLAS COWBOYS and the OAKLAND RAIDERS enjoyed the play of two AGGIES. CORNELL GREEN and DARNELL HAYNEY both played in Dallas and Oakland. What a tribute, what a special athletic time.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22Gljflyfloatervegasaggie

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » July 9th, 2021, 11:49 pm

I had posted earlier and I apologize for again reminiscing but I know a couple of things about some of the players during the 1960s era. If this seems boring or irrelevant I apologize in advance. Earlier I mentioned some of the great lineman but it is important to mention at least three running backs. Roy Shivers - St Louis Cardinals, MacArthur Lane GBP and KC and Altie Taylor Detroit Lions. I’m not sure if they are all in the Aggie Hall of Fame. If they aren’t they should be!! I saw both MacArthur Lane and Roy Shivers play in the old Romney stadium. Allie Taylor came along after I left school.
In my opinion Roy Shivers was the most dynamic college running back in USU history. His Junior year he averaged 13+ yds per carry. Extraordinary balance, quickness and flat out speed. He was a part of the record setting 4x100 track relay team. He also thru an 89 pass for a touchdown. Fourth longest in USU history
MacArthur Lane was a completely different kind of running back 6+Yds per carry and most of it between the tackles.All power and speed. His nick name was “Truck”. I know a story about him because two of my fly fishing friends were on the team. Grant Martinson ( receiver) and Leon Blazer (tight end). During practice MacArthur Lane would line up on the blocking sled. Just him. There were four pads braced by a steel structure. Usually 4 player would line up and push the sled for either 5 or10 yds. MacArthur Lane would hit the sled by himself and pop the sled for 3 or 4 yards. Hence the Knick name “Truck”. The rest of the team couldn’t believe it. Is it any wonder that he became a furious blocking back for the GBP. He was , in my opinion, the best professional running back that played for USU..

Again,, I hope that I haven’t taken the Emmett White discussion to far off track.
These users thanked the author Gljflyfloater for the post (total 2):
USU78NavyBlueAggie

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » July 10th, 2021, 1:28 am

Gljflyfloater wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 11:49 pm
I had posted earlier and I apologize for again reminiscing but I know a couple of things about some of the players during the 1960s era. If this seems boring or irrelevant I apologize in advance. Earlier I mentioned some of the great lineman but it is important to mention at least three running backs. Roy Shivers - St Louis Cardinals, MacArthur Lane GBP and KC and Altie Taylor Detroit Lions. I’m not sure if they are all in the Aggie Hall of Fame. If they aren’t they should be!! I saw both MacArthur Lane and Roy Shivers play in the old Romney stadium. Allie Taylor came along after I left school.
In my opinion Roy Shivers was the most dynamic college running back in USU history. His Junior year he averaged 13+ yds per carry. Extraordinary balance, quickness and flat out speed. He was a part of the record setting 4x100 track relay team. He also thru an 89 pass for a touchdown. Fourth longest in USU history
MacArthur Lane was a completely different kind of running back 6+Yds per carry and most of it between the tackles.All power and speed. His nick name was “Truck”. I know a story about him because two of my fly fishing friends were on the team. Grant Martinson ( receiver) and Leon Blazer (tight end). During practice MacArthur Lane would line up on the blocking sled. Just him. There were four pads braced by a steel structure. Usually 4 player would line up and push the sled for either 5 or10 yds. MacArthur Lane would hit the sled by himself and pop the sled for 3 or 4 yards. Hence the Knick name “Truck”. The rest of the team couldn’t believe it. Is it any wonder that he became a furious blocking back for the GBP. He was , in my opinion, the best professional running back that played for USU..

Again,, I hope that I haven’t taken the Emmett White discussion to far off track.
MacArthur and Lionel are noted in the GBP Hall of Fame. Any Aggie fan that can make it to Green Bay for a game should go. One of the best sports organizations and best sporting venues in the world. Hopefully Jordan Love gets a chance and seizes that chance.
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post:
Gljflyfloater

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 11th, 2021, 10:55 am

I happened to see all three of these AGGIE giants carry the ball in games. Each had their unique attributes were a joy to watch. I watch line backer MAC hit Wray McDonald from IDAHO as McDonald carried in a sweep. The collision was audible throughout the stadium and one had to be there to appreciate the level of contact. If there are any film clips of that IDAHO game at Romney Stadium it would be a treat to just see this play.

Another running back very fun to watch (and there were so many) in the early 60's was Darrell Steele. Darrell would be at full speed in a couple of strides, and one of the opposing players noted after their game that tackling Darrell was like tackling a Machete. Darrel was injured and lost some of his spark his last season at Utah State, but I recall he played for the Oakland Raiders at least one season.

bucky
Has thanked: 0

Post by bucky » July 14th, 2021, 11:32 pm

Didn’t we lose this game 44 to 20

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 18th, 2021, 10:25 am

bucky wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 11:32 pm
Didn’t we lose this game 44 to 20
Utah State won the Idaho game I was referencing 30-19 in early October of 1965. The first half was a real dog fight, the second half swung in favor of our AGGIES.

Locked Previous topicNext topic