There won't be one position group that will be worse next year

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

There won't be one position group that will be worse next year

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 3rd, 2021, 2:00 pm

One thing that's good news is if you think about it, there won't be one position group that will be worse next year than last year.

At quarterback, We could get another year of eligibility for Leon Jackson, Bryan Black, or Craig Harrison, or even just get Chuckie back in his post-injury crippled and hobbling form, and that would be an upgrade over Jason Shelley! So of course an All-Sun Belt quarterback is going to be an upgrade, if he can beat out Legas who looked good in spring. Along with an All Sun-Belt guy at receiver , and it certainly was a good thing Thompkins decided to come back. And Thompkins, besides just being back, is more committed to helping us than he was last year when he thought he just going to leave soon. And that leads to saying that even besides guys who got to the point of making the official announcement, there were others leaning towards leaving that had to be re-recruited by BA.

Running backs will be better cause of, if nothing else, experience.

Offensive Line is the only position group that you could argue MAYBE will be worse next year with who the two guys we lost. But even then, at least the guys in their place want to be here like the ones that left didn't.

We got upgrades as well at all the defensive position groups as well.

El Sapo

Re: There won't be one position group that will be worse next year

Post by El Sapo » July 5th, 2021, 4:51 pm

The biggest improvement in all the position groups?

Coaching
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 3):
aggies22bluegrouseBLUERUFiO

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » July 5th, 2021, 6:08 pm

El Sapo wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 4:51 pm

Coaching
This is the reason for my optimism. I think we had enough talent to win more games, but the coaching wasn't there (both fundamentals and X's & O's). I feel that even if Bonner isn't healthy, our floor is 5-6 games, but I'm no expert.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseBLUERUFiO

Aggies All the Way!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 5th, 2021, 6:20 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 6:08 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Coaching
This is the reason for my optimism. I think we had enough talent to win more games, but the coaching wasn't there (both fundamentals and X's & O's). I feel that even if Bonner isn't healthy, our floor is 5-6 games, but I'm no expert.
Last season it wasn't even about fundamentals or X's and O's. It was about the fact that we didn't even begin strength and conditioning or practicing until three or four weeks before our first game at Boise State.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 5th, 2021, 8:10 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Coaching
I love the optimism, but 5-6 wins seems more like the ceiling.

Did you guys watch last season? I wish I could get where you are. I like the transfers, especially the Arky St guys, but we had A LOT of problems last year.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » July 6th, 2021, 10:36 am

I am going 8 wins, not counting the bowl victory.

....I cant drive 55
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » July 6th, 2021, 10:39 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 8:10 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Coaching

Did you guys watch last season? I wish I could get where you are. I like the transfers, especially the Arky St guys, but we had A LOT of problems last year.
I did, but here's the thing; I watched the year before, too. We had a lot of the same guys, and they regressed. Tackling, play calling, blocking, the works. Add to that the attitude of the coaching ("attitude reflects leadership"), and I say we underperformed our talent. I don't think these guys suddenly forgot how to play, I think they were mismanaged. It would be like if the jazz suddenly decided they were going to post up Gobert every time down the floor and also have him guard the other team's leading scorer 1v1. At the same time, they told the players they're trying to tank, and they shouldn't worry about boxing out, they're going to rely on guards slashing in to get rebounds. They would lose a lot of games that way. The scheme doesn't fit the personnel, the strategy is terrible, and the coaching is awful. Does that mean the jazz would have forgotten how to play? Nah, they could get right with the right coach. Admittedly, we don't have a large sample size to know if everything is in place. However, from what I've seen, the attitude portion is much better, and the coaching of the fundamentals has improved, as well. Time will tell.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOAussieAggieDad

Aggies All the Way!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 6th, 2021, 11:12 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 6:20 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Coaching
Last season it wasn't even about fundamentals or X's and O's. It was about the fact that we didn't even begin strength and conditioning or practicing until three or four weeks before our first game at Boise State.
It always helps to have a coaching staff that wants to coach. I'm not sure when the wheels came off but Jordan Love, Gerald Bright, and a couple of others from 2019 were a lot more valuable leaders than we give them credit for. I'm pretty sure Gary and little Sanford were AWOL before the season began and the D-coordinator was in over his head and had no clue what to do once he lost his All american backer, with no help from his boss who once was one of the best in the business on that side of the ball. The fact they pulled off a winning season is a real tribute to those players.

I see this year being a fun year for both players and fans again and I think a winning record is the floor unless the MW has gotten much better.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
AussieAggieDad

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 6th, 2021, 11:21 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 10:39 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 8:10 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Coaching

I did, but here's the thing; I watched the year before, too. We had a lot of the same guys, and they regressed. Tackling, play calling, blocking, the works. Add to that the attitude of the coaching ("attitude reflects leadership"), and I say we underperformed our talent. I don't think these guys suddenly forgot how to play, I think they were mismanaged. It would be like if the jazz suddenly decided they were going to post up Gobert every time down the floor and also have him guard the other team's leading scorer 1v1. At the same time, they told the players they're trying to tank, and they shouldn't worry about boxing out, they're going to rely on guards slashing in to get rebounds. They would lose a lot of games that way. The scheme doesn't fit the personnel, the strategy is terrible, and the coaching is awful. Does that mean the jazz would have forgotten how to play? Nah, they could get right with the right coach. Admittedly, we don't have a large sample size to know if everything is in place. However, from what I've seen, the attitude portion is much better, and the coaching of the fundamentals has improved, as well. Time will tell.
The Aggies had huge problems last year but also enough talent that they would have been able to compete in most of the MW only schedule if a certain QB hadn't transferred even with all the coaching problems. I've said it all along that the MW talent and coaching is not that good aside from Boise, SDSU,and usually AFA and one or two other teams that are having an up year.

Just a halfway competent QB in Bonner, the best defensive player in the mountain west, and a secondary coach who has a clue should make a winning season a possibility. And I think this coaching staff is bringing in a lot more player talent and passion than just that. I expect a huge rebound and 7-8 wins with this schedule.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
AussieAggieDad

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » July 6th, 2021, 5:14 pm

I guess we have a chance to be better.....BUT we have that wonderful entity called the "Transfer Portal". We could stay the same, which is probably not likely, or be worse unless we replace transferring players to other schools with similar talent, OR we could get better by adding 3 and a few 4 star players, or JC transfers to out talent mix.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 6th, 2021, 6:46 pm

I do know that if Logan Bonner & then Andrew Peasley struggle at QB & Jacob Sirmon lights it up I’m going to be very disappointed.

Sirmon is the former big time recruit Washington QB transfer that wanted to come here (he essentially wanted a guaranteed starting spot) but didn’t get the chance & ended up at CMU.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 6th, 2021, 8:35 pm

If we win 8 games or more I will double my donation to Aggies Unlimited.

I would love to see it. LOVE IT.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
aggies22WinkieAndroidAggie

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » July 9th, 2021, 8:22 pm

the last two years were uninspired and undisciplined. just awful. easy to think there will improvement just through subtraction.

ehhhh... on second thought maybe i'm letting 2020 influence how i remember 2019.

nevermind. i don't know what to expect.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 9th, 2021, 8:42 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 8:22 pm
the last two years were uninspired and undisciplined. just awful. easy to think there will improvement just through subtraction.

ehhhh... on second thought maybe i'm letting 2020 influence how i remember 2019.

In 2019, David Woodward was inspired and disciplined and carried us as far as he could until he got hurt. We just didn't know what to do after we lost him, and the minus Woodward 2019 defense was about like the 2020 defense. The fact that he was STILL our leading tackler despite missing five games says it all.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 12th, 2021, 3:46 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 8:42 pm
AndroidAggie wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 8:22 pm

In 2019, David Woodward was inspired and disciplined and carried us as far as he could until he got hurt. We just didn't know what to do after we lost him, and the minus Woodward 2019 defense was about like the 2020 defense. The fact that he was STILL our leading tackler despite missing five games says it all.
The GFA speaks the truth, and we must listen.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » July 14th, 2021, 3:48 pm

i sincerely apologize, gfa.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » September 4th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 6:46 pm
I do know that if Logan Bonner & then Andrew Peasley struggle at QB & Jacob Sirmon lights it up I’m going to be very disappointed.

Sirmon is the former big time recruit Washington QB transfer that wanted to come here (he essentially wanted a guaranteed starting spot) but didn’t get the chance & ended up at CMU.
Jacob Sirmon isn’t looking too bad right now against Mizzou. He is definitely green but he sure looks like he could be a very serviceable QB with more experience. Here’s hoping BA made the right choice with our QB room.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Locked Previous topicNext topic