Name, Image and Likeness and Recruiting

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: Name, Image and Likeness and Recruiting

Post by ineptimusprime » July 2nd, 2021, 12:36 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 2nd, 2021, 12:21 pm
Are we going to get the NCAA Football video games back because of this? If so, that's a definite benefit.
That’s already been announced as happening even before this
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
3rdGenAggie

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 2nd, 2021, 1:09 pm

Honestly this kills what little interest that I had left in collegiate athletics.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » July 2nd, 2021, 2:24 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 2nd, 2021, 12:21 pm
Are we going to get the NCAA Football video games back because of this? If so, that's a definite benefit.
They had already announced that it would come out in July of 2023. Lot's of details still missing. Initially it sounded like it would be a subset of schools that they got licensing directly through. Now they are talking about trying to work out deals to have real players in it but that may be cost prohibitive.

natco
Has thanked: 0

Post by natco » July 2nd, 2021, 9:39 pm

Interesting to note that international students (who represent 1 of 10 collegiate athletes) are not eligible to benefit from NIL under current federal law due to F visa restrictions. This will impact other sports far more than it does football but could possibly keep the recruiting playing field more level for those athletes. I suppose international athletes also will not be able to appear in video games either.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 3rd, 2021, 11:44 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
July 2nd, 2021, 1:09 pm
Honestly this kills what little interest that I had left in collegiate athletics.
Can you elaborate? I’m not sure I understand why there’d be pearl clutching about the athletes finally making a small piece of the very large sums of money already trading hands in college athletics.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -unfairly/

An aside — all USU athletes should sign up for Cameo. I’d love to send friends and family greetings from USU athletes on birthdays and stuff.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
BLUERUFiO

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 4th, 2021, 10:19 pm

One way I can think of that MIGHT help us is with our ability to use our star athletes for endorsements for, say, the local car dealerships in Logan, it would maybe help us at least hold onto our top, superstar athletes that would be paid for the endorsements, the ones that would be good enough to transfer up, even start at a P5 school, but not quite be THE Man, THE Star of the team, with the endorsement opportunity at the P5 school that he has at the G5.

Obviously, this would only work for our top few players that are good enough to be wanted for endorsements, which isn't even every starter or guy we would like to hold on to. Like take Nick Vigil for instance. He likely would have been able to transfer and start at most P5 schools, but likely would have not have been the leading tackler at too many P5 schools. But let's say he also has an endorsement with Wilson Motor. Do you think the Car Dealerships in Tuscaloosa or Eugene or Los Angeles promise HIM an endorsement if he transfers, when they instead can use the guys who are the starting quarterbacks or offensive touchdown leaders, or at least the star defensive players on those teams as opposed to someone who, in the eyes of the casual fans, has only proven themselves in their powder puff leagues. And even at places like Purdue, where football isn't as big, it's all the less likely businesses are going to pay for someone who has only proven them self in a weaker league.

And the guys 4-10 on the roster, the ones that we still want to hold onto and would prefer not to lose, but rather have it be them than our top 3 stars, are all the less likely to even have the chance to transfer up to a P5, let alone be in demand for an endorsement from a local business there.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 4th, 2021, 10:43 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
July 4th, 2021, 10:19 pm
One way I can think of that MIGHT help us is with our ability to use our star athletes for endorsements for, say, the local car dealerships in Logan, it would maybe help us at least hold onto our top, superstar athletes that would be paid for the endorsements, the ones that would be good enough to transfer up, even start at a P5 school, but not quite be THE Man, THE Star of the team, with the endorsement opportunity at the P5 school that he has at the G5.

Obviously, this would only work for our top few players that are good enough to be wanted for endorsements, which isn't even every starter or guy we would like to hold on to. Like take Nick Vigil for instance. He likely would have been able to transfer and start at most P5 schools, but likely would have not have been the leading tackler at too many P5 schools. But let's say he also has an endorsement with Wilson Motor. Do you think the Car Dealerships in Tuscaloosa or Eugene or Los Angeles promise HIM an endorsement if he transfers, when they instead can use the guys who are the starting quarterbacks or offensive touchdown leaders, or at least the star defensive players on those teams as opposed to someone who, in the eyes of the casual fans, has only proven themselves in their powder puff leagues. And even at places like Purdue, where football isn't as big, it's all the less likely businesses are going to pay for someone who has only proven them self in a weaker league.

And the guys 4-10 on the roster, the ones that we still want to hold onto and would prefer not to lose, but rather have it be them than our top 3 stars, are all the less likely to even have the chance to transfer up to a P5, let alone be in demand for an endorsement from a local business there.
IMO, someone at a superstar level
In football, like say a Jordan Love, probably could have transferred to a P5 school as a nationally-recognized name brand and incoming QB1 and done quite well with local endorsements.

But I’d say Neemi and Sam would have been better off financially sticking around here. Not enough national brand value.

It’s hard to say, but guys that are fan favorites should be okay around here.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 4th, 2021, 11:33 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 4th, 2021, 10:43 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
July 4th, 2021, 10:19 pm

IMO, someone at a superstar level
In football, like say a Jordan Love, probably could have transferred to a P5 school as a nationally-recognized name brand and incoming QB1 and done quite well with local endorsements.

But I’d say Neemi and Sam would have been better off financially sticking around here. Not enough national brand value.

It’s hard to say, but guys that are fan favorites should be okay around here.
Yeah, quarterbacks might have the ability to transfer up AND be in demand for local endorsements cause of the way a starting quarterback is the most recognized player. But guys at any other position, not only have to make the starting lineup for recognition, but have to emerge as the star. Like let's say Bobby Wagner leaves after his sophomore year in 2009 to transfer to Boston College or South Carolina, if those schools would have been impressed with what he had done to that point. He makes their starting 11, but isn't even their top(and most in demand for endorsements) linebacker as those schools each had someone chosen before him in 2012, let alone a choice over the quarterbacks.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 6th, 2021, 8:40 am

I really don't care if these guys are making money, I just don't see this being a positive for USU athletics. I guess that is fine because I will just save some money by not buying tickets, gear, and donations. Aggie athletics is my last draw for sports. I really don't watch or participate in anything else at a fan level. Once it is gone, I will just passively watch sports at my leisure.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » July 6th, 2021, 8:52 am

918AGG wrote:
July 2nd, 2021, 9:52 am
I have a very small, slowly-growing tax shop on the side...

I wonder if I could get a basketball player to post something on their social media in exchange for some Cafe Rio rewards points...
I know this is a joke, but there will be kids that get taken advantage of because they dont understand a contract or what they're actually signing up for....
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
918AGG

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » July 6th, 2021, 8:57 am

It sounds like the University/Athletics is going to be offering training and advising in this realm.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
Winkie

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » July 6th, 2021, 8:57 am

A smart move would be to take the extra coaching slot that was allotted a few years back and dedicate it to someone that has the ability to organize and procure marketing deals for athletes on the team. This would ensure that you're keeping an eye on things inhouse and you could utilize it as a recruiting tool.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 5):
sam tingey3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiOaggies22Winkie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 6th, 2021, 9:07 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 8:57 am
A smart move would be to take the extra coaching slot that was allotted a few years back and dedicate it to someone that has the ability to organize and procure marketing deals for athletes on the team. This would ensure that you're keeping an eye on things inhouse and you could utilize it as a recruiting tool.
Interesting approach, seems like that would actually be a really good use of a position. Get someone that knows football, but also the business side of things as well as someone who has connections.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 6th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Just for perspective.

The NCAA makes enough money that if they distributed HALF their income to the players, every college BB player would get $500K and every college football player would have received $350K.

Full

Post by Full » July 7th, 2021, 4:21 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
The floodgates are open, and It will be interesting to see what happens. I don’t know if this would be a futile attempt, or the only way to be competitive.

Oregon DE inks a deal worth six figures. This with Miami’s deal and I think USU is moved a little lower when it comes to door the coaches can get in. I wonder how transfers with immediate eligibility will handle the landscape. Do they stay somewhere for NIL money, or do they still transfer with the hope of playing time. Do G5 players transfer up, and is it only star players or any player that can land at a school and make it on the field with a school with great NIL deals. Of course, it will all happen on an individual level, but the sea change from 2019 to now in NIL and the ability to transfer without sitting out seem like a way to dismantle any thought the NCAA had on compliance.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 7th, 2021, 5:29 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
I have already heard that several schools are going to hire a Marketing/Branding Expert/ Firm to meet with all recruits, in all sports. Then meet with all athlete/students throughout the year on how to increase "their brand". I doubt it will be the "10th coach" for football. Notre dame has a mandatory class for all athletes on how to handle the media. I suspect there will be a similar class on this kind of thing all over the nation.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 7th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Those classes will mostly just be rubbing it in to the 90% of players that aren't making much if any money.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 7th, 2021, 5:58 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Those classes will mostly just be rubbing it in to the 90% of players that aren't making much if any money.
So ... senior offensive linemen with no contracts on third and one at critical game sitch. Soph QB earning five or six figures in endorsements. QB has a bit of an attitude.

What happens?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » July 7th, 2021, 7:46 pm

I don’t think this will really impact USU recruiting that much. No school is going to have endorsements for 50 football players and 15 basketball players. There will be some bigger endorsements for star athletes, but we aren’t getting those guys as is. Usually our top players would likely have a better chance getting a local endorsement than going to a P5 school as a middle ranked athlete who likely wouldn’t be getting endorsements at the larger school. I will let it play out before I am ready to call it the beginning of the end
These users thanked the author Chupamedia for the post:
3rdGenAggie

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » July 7th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 7:46 pm
I don’t think this will really impact USU recruiting that much. No school is going to have endorsements for 50 football players and 15 basketball players. There will be some bigger endorsements for star athletes, but we aren’t getting those guys as is. Usually our top players would likely have a better chance getting a local endorsement than going to a P5 school as a middle ranked athlete who likely wouldn’t be getting endorsements at the larger school. I will let it play out before I am ready to call it the beginning of the end
That’s a pretty solid point. One thing I’d point out though is that none of the kids that go to those schools initially really believe they will be that far down the depth chart or the fame chart. Almost all go their with the thinking that they will start and be a big deal. I believe it could hurt us a tiny bit in the initial recruiting but it could really benefit us i the transfer market.
These users thanked the author GoldcoastAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » July 8th, 2021, 4:37 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 8:52 am
918AGG wrote:
July 2nd, 2021, 9:52 am
I have a very small, slowly-growing tax shop on the side...

I wonder if I could get a basketball player to post something on their social media in exchange for some Cafe Rio rewards points...
I know this is a joke, but there will be kids that get taken advantage of because they dont understand a contract or what they're actually signing up for....
Tell them to take a business law class. :cool2:

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 8th, 2021, 5:27 pm

GoldcoastAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 8:32 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 7:46 pm
That’s a pretty solid point. One thing I’d point out though is that none of the kids that go to those schools initially really believe they will be that far down the depth chart or the fame chart. Almost all go their with the thinking that they will start and be a big deal. I believe it could hurt us a tiny bit in the initial recruiting but it could really benefit us i the transfer market.
One counterpoint is that sometimes kids will have to choose between playing a more glamorous position at a less prestigious school, or a less glamorous position at a more prestigious school. Like Robert Turbin had an offer to play safety at Oregon, but we were his best option for playing running back.

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » July 9th, 2021, 2:03 am

I can’t wait to see a byu player endorsing a local brewery, that would be great!

bpd

Post by bpd » July 9th, 2021, 6:54 am

BioAggie wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 2:03 am
I can’t wait to see a byu player endorsing a local brewery, that would be great!
I believe I saw something that byu won’t even let them endorse something with coffee in the name. Lol, coffee. This may be the wrong place for this, it the church is behind the times.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
tjensen_25

USU78

Post by USU78 » July 9th, 2021, 7:30 am

bpd wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 6:54 am
BioAggie wrote:
I believe I saw something that byu won’t even let them endorse something with coffee in the name. Lol, coffee. This may be the wrong place for this, it the church is behind the times.
Please leave the Church out of this.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 9th, 2021, 8:53 am

BioAggie wrote:
They wouldn't be able to. The NIL rules state that no play at any school is allowed to endorse or otherwise be sponsored by any tobacco, alcohol, gambling, or adult entertainment company.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
USU78

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 9th, 2021, 9:57 am

bpd wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
I hate byu more than most, but it is a private school. They can do what ever they want, and have every right to do so. If the LDS church wants to make those kind of rules for the students there, they 100% should be able to.

USU78

Post by USU78 » July 9th, 2021, 10:36 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
July 9th, 2021, 9:57 am
bpd wrote:
BioAggie wrote:
I hate byu more than most, but it is a private school. They can do what ever they want, and have every right to do so. If the LDS church wants to make those kind of rules for the students there, they 100% should be able to.
The malfunctional school and its idiot students make those rules. And that's why it doesn't take more than a nanosecond of thought to reject the whole place and what it, in practice, stands for, and remain in good standing. yBu? Who would?

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » July 16th, 2021, 9:46 pm

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » July 16th, 2021, 10:12 pm

AussieAggieDad wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 9:46 pm
It's nice to see some players get on the NIL train.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 23rd, 2021, 1:20 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 3rd, 2021, 11:44 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
July 2nd, 2021, 1:09 pm
Can you elaborate? I’m not sure I understand why there’d be pearl clutching about the athletes finally making a small piece of the very large sums of money already trading hands in college athletics.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -unfairly/

An aside — all USU athletes should sign up for Cameo. I’d love to send friends and family greetings from USU athletes on birthdays and stuff.
Yeah I really don't get the negativity towards this, especially from people who are passionate enough to spend time posting on an Aggie message board. The vast majority here have spent big money going to Aggie games if you add up all the money we have spent on tickets, transportation and hotel in some cases; not to mention merchandise. We love Aggie athletes and fill arenas and stadiums watching them play. The Aggie football coach is now making a million a year with the basketball coach not far behind. Why not let the players make what money they can out of it? Sorry, the NCAA hasn't been about "student" athletes for generations. It has been big money with the players not having a chance to make money despite being the reason for sold out stadiums and 8 figure tv deals. I went to a Florida-Tennessee football game a few years ago and paid 300 dollars for the ticket. It was worth every penny, but when you are paying 300 dollars for a ticket, you aren't watching amateurs.

And yes you are absolutely right about cameo. It sounds like that is a common thing for college athletes to be doing from what I've seen and every USU player should get on there. I have Aggie family and friends that would love a cameo shoutout from Justin Bean, Savon Scarver, etc. . .

Locked Previous topicNext topic