If there's one team we should surpass, It's Air Force

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

If there's one team we should surpass, It's Air Force

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 22nd, 2021, 8:49 pm

The one-time transfer rule is a two way street, and we can hope that it doesn't ruin college football turning G5 schools into farm teams for P5 schools, and that the kids we bring in are higher quality than those we lose. But there is one school in our league this rule only hurts as with the nature of the service academies, you can't transfer into those, so when Air Force has down years, they are not in a position where they can just load up on transfers like we did, and every other school can. But of course you can still transfer out of service academies.

Some counterpoints I can think of are that Air Force is ALSO in more of a position to hold onto the guys that they want to, the ones that emerge as their elite players, as Air Force is more likely to have guys that want to become pilots that aren't going to leave for a bigger school cause schools with elite football programs don't offer the flight training that the Air Force does, while G5 schools are more likely to have guys studying things similar to what is offered at P5 schools. And guys that just want to use a G5 school as a tryout for a bigger school likely aren't going to be in the Air Force in the first place. Plus, schools higher on the food chain probably aren't even going to want Air Force's undersized linemen cause they don't run a system to make it work with them like Air Force does.

However, one-time transfer does make it more likely that an Air Force player who has gotten a few strikes at the Air Force for things is more likely to voluntarily leave just get a fresh start at another school.

El Sapo

Re: If there's one team we should surpass, It's Air Force

Post by El Sapo » June 23rd, 2021, 10:37 am

You went big picture. I think we'll surpass AF this year because we have substantially improved our LB's and DL. I think we'll be able to put 7 in the box. Shut down their option, and physically match up with their typical 250lb fullback who lines up as their QB.

Expecting a better defensive game plan, and better preparation all around. We should beat them

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 23rd, 2021, 5:11 pm

You'll all think I'm crazy but once we joined the Mountain West I felt there are four teams in our division we should rarely lose to, Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico and Wyoming.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
El Sapo

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 23rd, 2021, 8:13 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 5:11 pm
You'll all think I'm crazy but once we joined the Mountain West I felt there are four teams in our division we should rarely lose to, Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico and Wyoming.
We've done remarkably well against them since landing here.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
aggies22El SapoViAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 24th, 2021, 1:45 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 8:13 pm
aggies22 wrote:
I feel like we've performed poorly against Colorado St the past 8 years. If you include the forfeit last year then we are 4-4 over that span. That isn't bad in and of itself, but we've also generally been considered better over that span and I feel like we should be closer to 6-2, or something.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
ViAggieAggiesForever

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 24th, 2021, 6:57 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 24th, 2021, 1:45 pm
USU78 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I feel like we've performed poorly against Colorado St the past 8 years. If you include the forfeit last year then we are 4-4 over that span. That isn't bad in and of itself, but we've also generally been considered better over that span and I feel like we should be closer to 6-2, or something.
Why should we expect to dominate CSU over time? There's no historical precedent for that. Wyoming? Sure, but not CSU.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 24th, 2021, 9:12 pm

USU78 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Unfortunately we have not done well against air force other than our first two years in the league.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 25th, 2021, 1:26 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 24th, 2021, 6:57 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
USU78 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Why should we expect to dominate CSU over time? There's no historical precedent for that. Wyoming? Sure, but not CSU.
I'm not saying we should dominate CSU over all time as some kind of fundamental statement. I'm saying that over the past 8 years we've been a better overall team, but the series hasn't reflected that.

Also, I'm not saying we've been better every year, either. I mean, last year did happen, unfortunately. So did 2016.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 25th, 2021, 6:04 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 25th, 2021, 1:26 pm
USU78 wrote:
June 24th, 2021, 6:57 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
USU78 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I'm not saying we should dominate CSU over all time as some kind of fundamental statement. I'm saying that over the past 8 years we've been a better overall team, but the series hasn't reflected that.

Also, I'm not saying we've been better every year, either. I mean, last year did happen, unfortunately. So did 2016.
Of our 4 wins against them, 2 were closer than they should have been. In the three losses that were actually played, 2 were years they were a better team than us and one was a 3 point loss on their field a year we were about even and lost our quarterback. And it has been beaten to death how last year should not have happened. There was 2011, before our MW days, when we were the better team than them and had no business losing to them.

Locked Previous topicNext topic