More Potential $ for Student Athletes

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JSHarvey

More Potential $ for Student Athletes

Post by JSHarvey » June 21st, 2021, 3:27 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/21/politics ... index.html

Just an FYI on the latest Supreme Court decision.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Aggie84025

Re: More Potential $ for Student Athletes

Post by Aggie84025 » June 21st, 2021, 8:58 pm

Be interesting to see how it plays out. Obviously a player can make money that the school does not give based on their name, likeness and image. There will be some money for the top players for that. In terms of extra money for education purposes I just don't see how programs are going to be able to offer up huge sums of money or benefits etc. Probably 90% of all athletic programs already run a deficit, if they start offering up all these other education related expenses I just don't see where the money will come from. I may be way off base in my thinking. If players demand it, I could see teams start cutting some non revenue sports in order to pay for it. I certainly am for players getting compensated for what they provide, but there is going to become a breaking point where there is just not enough money to satisfy all these demands.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
JSHarvey

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 22nd, 2021, 10:39 am

Seems to me the P 5 schools carry on with little difficulty, going broke further down the trail. The G 5 schools continue to suck air and just get by, business as usual. This concept requires fan and alumni support and looks like over reach on steroids. Paying amateur athletes has disaster for a headline.

I think back when I was in college and money was just something others had. Our now pampered football and basketball players won't do well with more money and the programs won't proper beyond a snap shot of expectation. UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES are on their way.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025JSHarveyAngusAg

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » June 23rd, 2021, 2:30 pm

Unless there is a mandate that all athletes within the same school get paid equally, which I don't see happening, then a grading criteria will have to be developed, either by sport or worse, by player. Claims of gender pay inequity will increase if the former, with the latter, players with agents trying to get the most for their student "clients," with threats to take their talent elsewhere if they don't get the price they want, and/or players pitted against one another over perceived value determined by the size of the student athlete's "paycheck."

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 23rd, 2021, 3:57 pm

I would think that when a certain number of or even all players on football and basketball teams begin receiving compensation then the flood gates are opened. It won't take long until all the student athletes are like chicks in a nest with their mouths (aka hands) open saying "FEED ME".

Locked Previous topicNext topic