12 Team Playoff Recommended

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thegreendalegelf

12 Team Playoff Recommended

Post by thegreendalegelf » June 10th, 2021, 12:17 pm

The NCAA has been recommended to do a 12 team playoff. 6 highest ranked conference champs. 6 at larges. Top 4 teams get a bye. Next 4 host the first round at their home stadium.

I absolutely love the idea. Every G5 conference has a very real shot at making the playoffs and thus getting a shot at the title. The four games at the schools will be awesome and should be competitive.

5 stars.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 2):
QuackAttackAggie3rdGenAggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Re: 12 Team Playoff Recommended

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 10th, 2021, 12:26 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 12:17 pm
The NCAA has been recommended to do a 12 team playoff. 6 highest ranked conference champs. 6 at larges. Top 4 teams get a bye. Next 4 host the first round at their home stadium.

I absolutely love the idea. Every G5 conference has a very real shot at making the playoffs and thus getting a shot at the title. The four games at the schools will be awesome and should be competitive.

5 stars.
This would be sweet. One question regarding the 6 highest ranked conference champs. What would happen if two G5 champs are ranked higher than a P5 champ? Would the P5 conference champ not get an auto birth? Say the MWC champ and AAC champ are ranked higher than the PAC12 champ for example, would the PAC12 champ have to hope for an at-large birth in order to get in? If this is the case, I finally think we have a fair system.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » June 10th, 2021, 1:31 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 12:26 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.
This would be sweet. One question regarding the 6 highest ranked conference champs. What would happen if two G5 champs are ranked higher than a P5 champ? Would the P5 conference champ not get an auto birth? Say the MWC champ and AAC champ are ranked higher than the PAC12 champ for example, would the PAC12 champ have to hope for an at-large birth in order to get in? If this is the case, I finally think we have a fair system.
Yes it is only the top 6 champs not P5 + top G5. So Say USU is #15, UCF is #14, and Utah is #16 and all won their conferences, Utah would be left in the cold.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggiePIGSKINAGGIE

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 10th, 2021, 1:35 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.
I only give it about 3.5-4 stars. I would rather see a 16 team playoff with each team having to play 4 games to win it all.

Giving Alabama or Ohio State one week off (it will always be a blue blood program) doesn't really make an even playing field. FCS does 24 so it isn't too bulky.

Having said that, it is a step in the right direction. The other thing that I would like to see that won't happen is for the NCAA to take control of this rather than the CFP, which was once the BCS, which was the Bowl Alliance. March Madness is the greatest sporting event because it is so inclusive. But the P5 holds large contracts with them, so that won't happen.

A move in the right direction though.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » June 10th, 2021, 1:58 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 1:35 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.
I only give it about 3.5-4 stars. I would rather see a 16 team playoff with each team having to play 4 games to win it all.

Giving Alabama or Ohio State one week off (it will always be a blue blood program) doesn't really make an even playing field. FCS does 24 so it isn't too bulky.

Having said that, it is a step in the right direction. The other thing that I would like to see that won't happen is for the NCAA to take control of this rather than the CFP, which was once the BCS, which was the Bowl Alliance. March Madness is the greatest sporting event because it is so inclusive. But the P5 holds large contracts with them, so that won't happen.

I actually am kinda against a 16 team playoff. I wouldn't vote against it but I certainly wouldn't argue for it. The 1v16 down to 4v13 match-ups wouldn't be great. Especially if we go to all 10 Conference champs are in. Plus this first four bye, keeps the conference championships meaningful.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 10th, 2021, 2:00 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 1:31 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.
Yes it is only the top 6 champs not P5 + top G5. So Say USU is #15, UCF is #14, and Utah is #16 and all won their conferences, Utah would be left in the cold.
I think this scenario would be just about perfect and may save G5.

A thought I had: if you're Boise with this scenario, do you want a more regular chance at the playoff by staying in the MWC or more money, but terrible travel and selling bball the olympics down the river by moving to the AAC?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 10th, 2021, 2:27 pm

Let’s have some real fun. Run it like March Madness except take 32 teams. Season starts the first of August, and ends the end of October. 32 conference champs and some at large… yes another Selection Sunday. Playoff games start first week in November. Probably wouldn’t work, but I like crazy ideas.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 10th, 2021, 2:49 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 2:27 pm
Let’s have some real fun. Run it like March Madness except take 32 teams. Season starts the first of August, and ends the end of October. 32 conference champs and some at large… yes another Selection Sunday. Playoff games start first week in November. Probably wouldn’t work, but I like crazy ideas.
I'll do you one better. Let's throw in a relegation system. Regional conferences with three tiers. Bottom team from each conference every 2 years gets demoted, while the best team from the lower conference gets promoted. Either that, or have a winner takes all game between the two teams after the playoffs. Combine that with an inclusive playoff at every level to determine the national champs, and you've got compelling games even at the bottom of the standings every year.

Of course, I'm only dreaming.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 2):
Aggie19BustaMcNutt

Aggies All the Way!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 10th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Awesome

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 10th, 2021, 3:39 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 1:58 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 1:35 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.

I actually am kinda against a 16 team playoff. I wouldn't vote against it but I certainly wouldn't argue for it. The 1v16 down to 4v13 match-ups wouldn't be great. Especially if we go to all 10 Conference champs are in. Plus this first four bye, keeps the conference championships meaningful.
Maybe not, but UMBC did shock Virginia, and supposedly the gap is bigger there. (Not to mention the several 2 over 15 seeds.)

Of course in a 16 team playoff, the equivalent would be 4 regions with 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. If we simply went by rankings from 2019-20 (COVID messed up last year) it would have looked something like this.

1vs 4
LSU vs Iowa
Ohio State vs Notre Dame
Clemson vs Michigan
Oklahoma vs Alabama

2 and 3

Georgia vs Utah
Oregon vs Auburn
Baylor vs Penn State
Wisconsin and Florida

There were no G5 schools is the top 16, but there would have been some upsets. Other years UCF, Houston, Boise, or possibly an C-USA team could break through.

LSU would have been favored to win it, but they did anyways. However, all of those teams would have had a small chance if the ball bounced right.

I just wouldn't have wanted to see LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma sit out. Every year it will be the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and Big 12/PAC 12 sitting idle while the other 8 play. It also will be fairly difficult for more than 1 G5 break through in a 12 team playoff.

As I say, it is an improvement, just not the level of March Madness.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 10th, 2021, 3:52 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.
Is it this^^^

or does it mean the conference champ from the 6 highest ranked conferences? In the scenario you describe, if Utah is ranked #16 but the PAC 12 is ranked higher, as a conference, than the MW or the AAC, Utah would go to the playoff ahead of USU and UCF.

Eutaw St. Aggie

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 10th, 2021, 4:08 pm

I don't think we'll ever see anything like March Madness with football. In basketball, given that you only have five guys on the court at a time, and a roster of just 13, it's more likely that a few lower tier schools are able to put together a strong roster under the radar and shock a "big" team. In football we're talking about 11 players on offense, 11 on defense, special teams, and 85 scholarships, overall. Those numbers make it a lot harder to pull together a cohesive team unless you already have name recognition and truckloads of money for recruiting. It does happen, but not as often.

That's a big part of why I am perfectly okay with a 12-team playoff if there is a legitimate chance given to lower level teams/conferences to get in. We'll see if this plays out that way, though.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
JSHarvey

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 10th, 2021, 4:24 pm

So this model would guarantee the G5 AT LEAST one team in the playoffs. One of the P5's has a bad year, and you could get two G5's in. I'd like someone with more time and skill to go back retrospectively and determine who the 6 auto bids would have been over the past decade.

I still think 16 with each conference getting an autobid is the ideal scenario, but what's being described here is infinitely better than what we currently have.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 10th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Huge improvement from the current situation. Obviously it will be tough to make the playoff, but at least it is possible can get there from here.

Top 6 conference champs guarantees at least one G5 team.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 10th, 2021, 6:05 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 4:08 pm
I don't think we'll ever see anything like March Madness with football. In basketball, given that you only have five guys on the court at a time, and a roster of just 13, it's more likely that a few lower tier schools are able to put together a strong roster under the radar and shock a "big" team. In football we're talking about 11 players on offense, 11 on defense, special teams, and 85 scholarships, overall. Those numbers make it a lot harder to pull together a cohesive team unless you already have name recognition and truckloads of money for recruiting. It does happen, but not as often.

That's a big part of why I am perfectly okay with a 12-team playoff if there is a legitimate chance given to lower level teams/conferences to get in. We'll see if this plays out that way, though.
I agree football upsets are a little more rare than basketball. When you look at who gets in the brackets though, they are all going to be tough teams in the first place.

FBS only has 130 teams compared to the 353 NCAA teams. Less than 10% will make the CFP tournament, compared to almost 20% of the NCAA basketball tournament.

There really won't be the same type of underdogs in this thing in the first place, not to mention the inherent differences between basketball and football.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 10th, 2021, 6:30 pm

imo, What we see in March Madness, we already see in football, we just see it in the regular season. We do see things like Ohio State being in contention for the national championship only to get slaughtered by Iowa or Purdue. Or some random G5s beating P5s in the OOC play. Or when we stunned BYU after they climbed to #18, maybe the equivalent of a team having a good enough regular season to earn a 5 seed in the dance and think they have an outside shot at the national title.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 10th, 2021, 11:32 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.
Is determined that way or is it determined by the champions of highest ranked 6 leagues champs? If it is the latter then it is even more important for the mw to look for ways to try to strengthen itself as the best g5 conference.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » June 11th, 2021, 9:18 am

slcagg wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 11:32 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.
Is determined that way or is it determined by the champions of highest ranked 6 leagues champs? If it is the latter then it is even more important for the mw to look for ways to try to strengthen itself as the best g5 conference.
Its the top 6 ranked conference champions. I don't think there's a metric to rank conferences, and they aren't going that direction.

So basically, this kills the whole "Power 5" concept, right?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 11th, 2021, 9:20 am

bigwilly087 wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 9:18 am
slcagg wrote:
June 10th, 2021, 11:32 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

5 stars.
Its the top 6 ranked conference champions. I don't think there's a metric to rank conferences, and they aren't going that direction.

So basically, this kills the whole "Power 5" concept, right?
Thanks for the clarification. Important that your best team wins the conference championship then. Can you crown a champion without a championship game?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 11th, 2021, 2:57 pm

They ultimately need to get to a 16-team playoff and stay there where all conference champions are invited.

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » June 12th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Love this idea but is anybody else nervous? If the AAC continues to rank better than us, their winner would consistently get in over the MW champ.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 12th, 2021, 6:02 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:They ultimately need to get to a 16-team playoff and stay there where all conference champions are invited.
This would be the most ideal and fair but at least the 12 team format is a huge step forward

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » June 12th, 2021, 8:35 pm

deltaaggie wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Love this idea but is anybody else nervous? If the AAC continues to rank better than us, their winner would consistently get in over the MW champ.
How's this worse than the status quo? And if we start to rank better than them, our winner would consistently get in over theirs. In other words: whoever deserves it more, as it ought to be.

Nobody here knows anything.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » June 14th, 2021, 3:39 pm

OKAggie wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 8:35 pm
deltaaggie wrote:
How's this worse than the status quo? And if we start to rank better than them, our winner would consistently get in over theirs. In other words: whoever deserves it more, as it ought to be.
Exactly. Also, it is not outside the realm of possibility that both an AAC and MWC champion could outrank a Pac 12 or Big 12 champion and they could be the ones getting the boot. I know 2020 was a weird year but you had Cincinnati at 8 and highest ranked Pac 12 was USC at 17. Undefeated SJSU was 22, but in a normal season with a couple more games they could have passed up USC.

This may be the impetus to get BYU to pursue a conference deal. In 2020 they finished at 16, one ahead of USC, and if they were in the MW would be the 6th champ in. As it was they were the 11th best "at large" and would have been left out of the playoff.

Honestly the system is pretty fair.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 14th, 2021, 3:48 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 3:39 pm
OKAggie wrote:
deltaaggie wrote:
Exactly. Also, it is not outside the realm of possibility that both an AAC and MWC champion could outrank a Pac 12 or Big 12 champion and they could be the ones getting the boot. I know 2020 was a weird year but you had Cincinnati at 8 and highest ranked Pac 12 was USC at 17. Undefeated SJSU was 22, but in a normal season with a couple more games they could have passed up USC.

This may be the impetus to get BYU to pursue a conference deal. In 2020 they finished at 16, one ahead of USC, and if they were in the MW would be the 6th champ in. As it was they were the 11th best "at large" and would have been left out of the playoff.

I'm split on whether or not I want BYU in the conference. It would be better for our bid to get to the playoff, and probably more TV money. But if concessions are going to be made for them, then let them stay outside doing their independence thing, or whatever, I don't really care.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » June 14th, 2021, 9:57 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 3:48 pm
bigwilly087 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
deltaaggie wrote:

I'm split on whether or not I want BYU in the conference. It would be better for our bid to get to the playoff, and probably more TV money. But if concessions are going to be made for them, then let them stay outside doing their independence thing, or whatever, I don't really care.
It will be a cold day in hell before I support being in a conference with those princesses. I’m still of the belief that since BYU and USU share markets then anything that is good for BYU only hurts USU.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 2):
USU78flying_scotsman2.0

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 15th, 2021, 8:03 am

Slim80 wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 9:57 pm
bigwilly087 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
deltaaggie wrote:

It will be a cold day in hell before I support being in a conference with those princesses. I’m still of the belief that since BYU and USU share markets then anything that is good for BYU only hurts USU.
You've convinced me. Screw those guys.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyUSU78

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » June 15th, 2021, 10:00 am

This system actually does make it possible for a P5 champion to be left out of the playoff...that is why I like it...also why I think it will change. They aren't going to stand for that. As for the one true team, I don't think this changes things much for them with the exception that there are two more bids available to them than there were before (4 to 6, they won't have a shot at 6 of the 12 because not being in a conference).

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » June 15th, 2021, 11:08 am

GeoAg wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 10:00 am
This system actually does make it possible for a P5 champion to be left out of the playoff...that is why I like it...also why I think it will change. They aren't going to stand for that.* * *).
Maybe. But you have to wonder if the P4 aren't getting tired of the Pac12 not pulling its weight in the playoff system. Rarely getting in, even more rarely competitive. Might be good for CFB overall, both in terms of interest and TV money, to have kind of a quasi relegation, where the P12 is competing with the G5 for the last two spots (I can't imagine the other P4 not getting their champ among the top 6 -- too much entrenched advantage already -- but then the P12 was much better than the ACC a decade or so ago...)

Nobody here knows anything.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » June 15th, 2021, 11:41 am

OKAggie wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 11:08 am
GeoAg wrote:
This system actually does make it possible for a P5 champion to be left out of the playoff...that is why I like it...also why I think it will change. They aren't going to stand for that.* * *).
Maybe. But you have to wonder if the P4 aren't getting tired of the Pac12 not pulling its weight in the playoff system. Rarely getting in, even more rarely competitive. Might be good for CFB overall, both in terms of interest and TV money, to have kind of a quasi relegation, where the P12 is competing with the G5 for the last two spots (I can't imagine the other P4 not getting their champ among the top 6 -- too much entrenched advantage already -- but then the P12 was much better than the ACC a decade or so ago...)
There’s no arguing the Pac12’s lackluster performance the past several years but they bring waaay too much money to the table for them to be left behind by the other 4 conferences. The Pac12’s on-field product might not be that great but they bring the money from the entire west coast…..that’s no small thing.

For the record, I’m very skeptical that the final playoff agreement would involve the possibility of a P5 champ being left out. I see that changing to all P5’s champs having an auto bud to the playoff.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » June 15th, 2021, 12:41 pm

Slim80 wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 11:41 am
OKAggie wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 11:08 am
GeoAg wrote:
There’s no arguing the Pac12’s lackluster performance the past several years but they bring waaay too much money to the table for them to be left behind by the other 4 conferences. The Pac12’s on-field product might not be that great but they bring the money from the entire west coast…..that’s no small thing.

For the record, I’m very skeptical that the final playoff agreement would involve the possibility of a P5 champ being left out. I see that changing to all P5’s champs having an auto bud to the playoff.
Well said. No matter how this works out the rich will get richer. That is the trajectory of college athletics.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 16th, 2021, 6:15 am

bigwilly087 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
deltaaggie wrote:

Concessions don’t need to made. They need in a conference to have a better chance of getting in the 12 teams. They will be choosing between us and the aac in the next couple of years. Both conferences will want them to help solidify the 6th best conference. Just my opinion.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » June 16th, 2021, 9:28 am

I know this is unpopular, but I think being in a conference with byu- Provo would be great. They would have to eat serious crow and we would benefit greatly both in money and perception of the level at which we play in state. Notice I said perception. They aren't as far ahead as they think and would have only been to the mwc championship game once or twice in the past decade, but being in the same conference cements that reality.

I also think they are dangerous to our conference stability out on their own like they are right now. They can never be trusted fully but I feel more comfortable with them in the fold than out.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
NowhereLandAggieBLUERUFiO

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 16th, 2021, 9:55 am

GeoAg wrote:I know this is unpopular, but I think being in a conference with byu- Provo would be great. They would have to eat serious crow and we would benefit greatly both in money and perception of the level at which we play in state. Notice I said perception. They aren't as far ahead as they think and would have only been to the mwc championship game once or twice in the past decade, but being in the same conference cements that reality.

I also think they are dangerous to our conference stability out on their own like they are right now. They can never be trusted fully but I feel more comfortable with them in the fold than out.
You make some good points. Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 16th, 2021, 10:03 am

GeoAg wrote:I know this is unpopular, but I think being in a conference with byu- Provo would be great. They would have to eat serious crow and we would benefit greatly both in money and perception of the level at which we play in state. Notice I said perception. They aren't as far ahead as they think and would have only been to the mwc championship game once or twice in the past decade, but being in the same conference cements that reality.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic