AAC Western Expansion Smoke

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Has thanked: 0

AAC Western Expansion Smoke

Post by ... » June 3rd, 2021, 4:55 pm

JonnyCienPesos

Re: AAC Western Expansion Smoke

Post by JonnyCienPesos » June 3rd, 2021, 4:58 pm

So what is the smoke exactly??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 3rd, 2021, 5:12 pm

His only reference was to something that "Sport's Illustrated's Mark Blaudschun speculated..."

I wouldn't mind losing Boise St, nor would I begrudge them making a move they think will be better for their school. I would be bummed if Colorado St left the MWC, though.

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » June 3rd, 2021, 5:14 pm

Yeah I agree, if BSU wants out Im good with it but I would be bummed about CSU and SDSU. BSU is so needy, it is getting obnoxious.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 3rd, 2021, 5:16 pm

I wouldn't be so bummed about SDSU. A bit more with Fresno St, though.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 3rd, 2021, 5:21 pm

SDSU's usefulness left when we lost the Bowl Game in San Diego
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
AggieBlues

Eutaw St. Aggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 3rd, 2021, 6:25 pm

I don't think Boise would know how to survive without getting special deals and having everyone pander to their every whim.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 3rd, 2021, 7:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 3rd, 2021, 5:21 pm
SDSU's usefulness left when we lost the Bowl Game in San Diego
They have good football and basketball programs. I'd rather they stay than Boise out of the two.

dogie

Post by dogie » June 3rd, 2021, 9:53 pm

That article robbed me of 20 seconds that I’ll never get back.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » June 3rd, 2021, 10:00 pm

Same old nut-scratching by some no-name nobody. I’ll never understand why MABs get so excited over the seventieth iteration of the same tired bullsh.

Nobody here knows anything.

ususports

Post by ususports » June 3rd, 2021, 10:17 pm

OKAggie wrote:
June 3rd, 2021, 10:00 pm
Same old nut-scratching
I heard from a friend this happens more frequently in warmer weather.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » June 4th, 2021, 7:37 am

This isn't even as much smoke as a lit match. There is no news at all here.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 4th, 2021, 3:40 pm

There is no way in hell bozo bolts for the AAC without a full membership deal, they’d be dumbest morons on the planet if they did that. BW won’t let them back in, WCC is for private religious schools only, but the cluster hug that is the WAC would take them 😂
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 4th, 2021, 6:04 pm

ViAggie wrote:
June 4th, 2021, 3:40 pm
There is no way in hell bozo bolts for the AAC without a full membership deal, they’d be dumbest morons on the planet if they did that. BW won’t let them back in, WCC is for private religious schools only, but the cluster hug that is the WAC would take them 😂
Yeah although these nonstop stories of them "almost leaving" are kind of annoying. I guess it is just par for the course every offseason.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » June 8th, 2021, 9:33 am

If anyone is looking for further proof that there is no smoke here, Dennis Dodd is reporting that the AAC is no longer interested in adding Boise State.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 8th, 2021, 11:26 am

Was never happening, makes zero sense, even if the AAC had a better year in FB last year, the possibility that the Big 12 looming out there to take two regionally significant teams from the AAC (not named Boise State because they are not a significant market and won't be anytime soon) is hard to ignore.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Full

Post by Full » June 16th, 2021, 9:22 am

Boise isn’t going anywhere. The first takeaway from the article is that no one, not even the AAC, wants Boise’s non-football sports. The second; any leverage to keep their sweetheart deal they filed a lawsuit to keep is gone with the next round of media negotiations. Thompson carefully stated he has no knowledge of current interest in Boise state from the AAC, and they will have to answer the questions from other conference members. My guess is other members aren’t happy, and having Boise media rights separate makes for more uncertainty than they would prefer in the next deal. What came from the serious discussions with the AAC, is that Boise has no other options. Even a BYU style TV deal as an independent isn’t an option without a home for their Olympic sports.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 16th, 2021, 10:17 am

I thoroughly enjoy seeing Boise knocked down a peg. They're not quite an Alabama that can dictate everything to everybody like they think they are.

Even though it wouldn't be good for the MWC's perception, I'd love nothing more than to see Avalos fail catastrophically (although I don't think it'll happen).
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieJSHarvey

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 17th, 2021, 12:32 pm

Boise currently fields strong football teams and enjoys having an institution incidentally attached to the team.

Academically, the school isn't particularly well grounded, and that is where school Presidents over see and hold sway along with the athletic and financial potential said institution could bring.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
cval

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » June 17th, 2021, 12:51 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 12:32 pm
Boise currently fields strong football teams and enjoys having an institution incidentally attached to the team.

Academically, the school isn't particularly well grounded, and that is where school Presidents over see and hold sway along with the athletic and financial potential said institution could bring.
Add to that the AD looks over the entire athletic department and while the focus is often most on the revenue-generating sports, the AD won't completely ignore the other teams. And with Idaho in the 9th Circuit, I could easily see a federal court there saying that placing football in the AAC and dumping the other sports in some third-rate conference is some sort of Title IX violation because it doesn't grant equal opportunity to the women's teams.

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » June 21st, 2021, 4:18 am

Avalos is a really good recruiter, with great experience as DC when at Oregon and BSU.I think he'll be a good hire, BSU has really good resources for G5 school and great tradition and recruiting connections in Texas California and other states and they always recruit well. Expect them to keep winning. MWC losing BSU, would be a big blow to the conference, even if makes winning the conference easier for USU what other school has even won a NY6 bowl besides BSU in MWC and wins 10 plus games a year.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » June 21st, 2021, 7:37 pm

These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 2):
USU783rdGenAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 22nd, 2021, 8:05 am

I think it the MW lost Boise, USU might just quit sports altogether. I mean, what's the point if Boise isn't around?
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 3):
USU78ViAggieAggieFBObsession

apo

Post by apo » July 21st, 2021, 8:04 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... t-join-sec

I know there’s tons of speculation every years around conference realignment but the reporting surrounding this new topic feels very different. This seems to have more traction than the average rumor.

apo

Post by apo » July 21st, 2021, 8:07 pm

I didn’t get into where I think it could affect the Aggies. I think this would trigger Big 12 realignment that would lead to AAC realignment that may affect the MW.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 21st, 2021, 9:14 pm

Transporting Non Revenue and assorted Title Nine teams across our nation would be the absolute financial death knell for virtually any G5 program. Of note and kindly take note, P 5 Conferences, with the exception of the SEC (T A&M and Missouri), have relatively compact geographical league distances to move their Non Revenue teams through.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 21st, 2021, 10:11 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 9:14 pm
Transporting Non Revenue and assorted Title Nine teams across our nation would be the absolute financial death knell for virtually any G5 program. Of note and kindly take note, P 5 Conferences, with the exception of the SEC (T A&M and Missouri), have relatively compact geographical league distances to move their Non Revenue teams through.
Just for fun, I measured out the geographical footprints on the P5 conferences on Google Earth. The SEC is right in the middle of the pack approximately 403,000 square miles. The PAC-12 has by far the largest footprint at 632,000 square miles. Number 2 is the ACC at 477,000. The Big-12(10) is number 4 at 390,000. Quite surprising to me was the Big Ten(Fourteen) has the smallest at 280,000, even when stretching from Lincoln to Piscataway (people often think of Lincoln as being a "western" city, but it is not even the halfway point when going from New York to San Francisco).

Counting only full members, so excluding football only associate member Hawaii, the MWC has approximately a 458,000 square mile footprint. The AAC is at a whopping 668,000 square miles when counting full members. If the AAC were to add Boise as a full member, it would go up to over 1.1 million square miles.
Last edited by swordsman1989 on July 21st, 2021, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » July 21st, 2021, 10:18 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
If Covid taught us anything, anything can take place virtually, over Zoom, especially non-contact sports, and everybody remains happy. Why have gymnastic meets? Track meets? Swim meets? Setup some cameras at the various locations and blow the whistle or shoot that gun thingy. Setup a pitching machine for the baseball/softball games and duke it out virtually live and in-person over the Interwebs. This will surely result in a lot more offense, which always makes the fans in the stands happy (or fans on the livestream since the 400 seat bleachers will undoubtedly sell out). I can't think of any problems with this for all non-contact sports.

Contact sports will remain an unfortunate problem until robut avatars can properly simulate actual players on the field. I for one look forward to our robut replacements. No more ACL or concussion injuries for star players! Just swap out a limb and/or skull and get back out there, [Chuckie]!

The future is bright. Go to Hell Boise State.

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 21st, 2021, 10:23 pm

AggieBlues wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 10:18 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
If Covid taught us anything, anything can take place virtually, over Zoom, especially non-contact sports, and everybody remains happy. Why have gymnastic meets? Track meets? Swim meets? Setup some cameras at the various locations and blow the whistle or shoot that gun thingy. Setup a pitching machine for the baseball/softball games and duke it out virtually live and in-person over the Interwebs. This will surely result in a lot more offense, which always makes the fans in the stands happy (or fans on the livestream since the 400 seat bleachers will undoubtedly sell out). I can't think of any problems with this for all non-contact sports.

Contact sports will remain an unfortunate problem until robut avatars can properly simulate actual players on the field. I for one look forward to our robut replacements. No more ACL or concussion injuries for star players! Just swap out a limb and/or skull and get back out there, [Chuckie]!

The future is bright. Go to Hell Boise State.
In all seriousness, video gaming is the wave of the future. Schools who jump on the intercollegiate gaming bandwagon now will be the Alabamas and Ohio States of the 2100s. I am amazed at how many millennials and younger love watching other people play video games.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
AhbyeAggieFBObsession

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 22nd, 2021, 3:20 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 10:11 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Just for fun, I measured out the geographical footprints on the P5 conferences on Google Earth. The SEC is right in the middle of the pack approximately 403,000 square miles. The PAC-12 has by far the largest footprint at 632,000 square miles. Number 2 is the ACC at 477,000. The Big-12(10) is number 4 at 390,000. Quite surprising to me was the Big Ten(Fourteen) has the smallest at 280,000, even when stretching from Lincoln to Piscataway (people often think of Lincoln as being a "western" city, but it is not even the halfway point when going from New York to San Francisco).

Counting only full members, so excluding football only associate member Hawaii, the MWC has approximately a 458,000 square mile footprint. The AAC is at a whopping 668,000 square miles when counting full members. If the AAC were to add Boise as a full member, it would go up to over 1.1 million square miles.

If you drove from Lubbock to Morgantown.... Kill me now. That is so far..

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 22nd, 2021, 6:03 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 3:20 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 10:11 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

If you drove from Lubbock to Morgantown.... Kill me now. That is so far..
Now you got me on another one. I checked the longest drives within conferences. Using Apple Maps and fastest routes. Some variations based on real time traffic. But longest intra conference drives:

PAC-12: Seattle (Washington) to Tucson (Arizona) - 23:33
ACC: Boston (Boston College) to Miami (Miami) - 23:15
AAC: Houston (Houston) to Philadelphia (Temple) - 22:25
Big 12: Lubbock (Texas Tech) to Morgantown (West Virginia) - 21:21
Big Ten: Lincoln (Nebraska) to Piscataway (Rutgers) - 19:02
MWC: San Jose (San Jose State) to Laramie (Wyoming) - 16:11
SEC: College Station (Texas A&M) to Lexington (Kentucky) - 15:27

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 7:02 am

apo wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 8:04 pm
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... t-join-sec

I know there’s tons of speculation every years around conference realignment but the reporting surrounding this new topic feels very different. This seems to have more traction than the average rumor.
The last time this happened, Texas played the PAC-12 so that they could negotiate a more favorable contract with the Big 12. They also were able to start the Longhorn Network because of the concessions other members made. If you read the article it talks about the TV deal being up soon.

I think this is a negotiation ploy again. That doesn't mean they won't walk if they can't get what they want, but it also means the other schools will likely make more concessions to keep them in the Big 12.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
apo

cbingham

Post by cbingham » July 22nd, 2021, 7:15 am

There is about to be a seismic shift. Driven by Disney TV money Tex and OU are a near fine deal to the SEC (as a Tex fan I’m mostly happy about this). This triggers both the Big 10 and PAC 12 to likely make some decisions in order to lock up additional TV power. The PAC have had a pipe dream of Tex and Ou going west but Larry’s inability to drive sports as a priority killed that. Consequently there is going to be a vacuum that several schools get sucked into. BSU, BYU and maybe CSU get pulled either west or to AAC due to attractive media. There will also be a play for some of the top end of the leftover Big 12 schools. The real question for USU is where her MW sits by idly and sets a course to become an even less consequential conference or if the MW collectively shows some balls and emerges as a power broker in the east and grows into a Big 12 footprint with the leftover Texas schools and maybe K state. Leadership and politics are going to be interesting.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » July 22nd, 2021, 7:31 am

I don't see CSU and the one true team being pulled west. They don't bring new markets in that case and just take from the pool rather than add. I don't see the PAC XII condescending to take Boise State for other reasons. I can see each school having opportunities to head east with Big XII leftovers or AAC leftovers. We'll see

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 22nd, 2021, 8:02 am

My opinion this move would break up the big 12 and push for 4 16 team conferences. Maybe something like below:

Sec: takes Texas and Oklahoma
Big 10: Iowa state and Kansas (or maybe notre dame)
Acc: West Virginia and Baylor (or maybe notre dame)
Pac 12: Oklahoma state and kstate then who else do they add? I don’t think they would add religious schools like tcu and Baylor. Maybe Texas tech.

The mw should be on the phone with BYU and other aac schools that make sense geographically in case some of those schools are taken.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic