Jordan Love - bad news and good news

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
stwinward

Jordan Love - bad news and good news

Post by stwinward » May 17th, 2021, 5:04 pm

The bad news: Love is the only player taken in the first round as a QB in the last 10 years to not even attempt a pass in his rookie season. Interesting. The sample size is 32 QBs.

He's only one of 4 to not become the starter at some point in his rookie year.

The good news: One of the other 4 is Patrick Mahomes, so he's still got hope to follow in those footsteps.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... d-qb-start

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Jordan Love - bad news and good news

Post by aggies22 » May 17th, 2021, 6:39 pm

stwinward wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 5:04 pm
The bad news: Love is the only player taken in the first round as a QB in the last 10 years to not even attempt a pass in his rookie season. Interesting. The sample size is 32 QBs.

The good news: One of the other 4 is Patrick Mahomes, so he's still got hope to follow in those footsteps.

No one else had to deal with no rookie camp, mini-camp, minimal training camp, no off-season program and no preseason games.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
AggieBluesbluegrouseFloridaAggie13JSHarveysstrasser

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » May 17th, 2021, 7:24 pm

Other than the other 3 QBs in last years rookie class. I hope he gets some playing time this coming season.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » May 17th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 7:24 pm
Other than the other 3 QBs in last years rookie class. I hope he gets some playing time this coming season.
Without looking it up, I assume those other three teams last year had immediate QB needs. Whereas the Packers were planning more for the future and had no need to get Jordan into any games, which could play better for his long-term development. Time will tell.

And for all of those other QBs that played in their first season, how many were rushed into crappy situations that stunted or stymied their development, leading them to wash out of the league prematurely? David Carr I think is probably one prime example of a solid QB that was in a situation where no one could really hope to succeed given the supporting cast around him and never reached his true potential in the NFL.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » May 18th, 2021, 8:29 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 6:39 pm
stwinward wrote:

No one else had to deal with no rookie camp, mini-camp, minimal training camp, no off-season program and no preseason games.
Amen. And most of those guys weren't playing behind someone like Aaron Rodgers. There is still a lot to happen before we define JL.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » May 18th, 2021, 11:40 am

I also think that the pros are not going to put in the second string just because there is two minutes left and a 20 point lead. i would bet most starting qb's finish out most games, even in blowouts. Now, when you're not even dressed to play, you will never get in!

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » May 18th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Aaron Rodgers sat for three years after Green Bay selected him, that seems to have worked out alright.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
AggiePT

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » May 18th, 2021, 5:03 pm

I’m my opinion, NFL teams are too fixated on using their top draft pick QB right away. They want to utilize the early years of their new “franchise” QB when they don’t have to pay him much. I get the financial reasoning there, but over and over these young guys are thrown to the wolves before they are even up to speed. Most of the time I think they just give into pressure from fans/media who want to see the kid play at the first sign or struggle from the starter. If they want to maximize the talent, they should let them run the practice squat for a couple years. Hopefully that works to JL’s advantage. Time will tell.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 18th, 2021, 5:31 pm

tipitup wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 11:40 am
I also think that the pros are not going to put in the second string just because there is two minutes left and a 20 point lead. i would bet most starting qb's finish out most games, even in blowouts. Now, when you're not even dressed to play, you will never get in!
The guy who had the #2 job for the Packers last year, Tim Boyle, got into 8 games last year, but never got a pass attempt as he just handed it off. In 2019, he got into 3 games and got to attempt 4 passes.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » May 18th, 2021, 9:40 pm

stwinward wrote:

How many of those 32 QB’s are currently playing a meaningful role in the league? (I’m too lazy to look it up)

Jordan is playing behind a very very good QB in Aaron Rodgers who had an incredible year. Hopefully Jordan learned a lot while watching home. It’s not all doom and gloom for J love. I’d rather him be in a situation like this rather than be thrown to the wolves of a terrible organization and then washing out after his rookie contract is up.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
El Sapo

stwinward

Post by stwinward » May 18th, 2021, 10:58 pm

Slim80 wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 9:40 pm
stwinward wrote:

How many of those 32 QB’s are currently playing a meaningful role in the league? (I’m too lazy to look it up)

Jordan is playing behind a very very good QB in Aaron Rodgers who had an incredible year. Hopefully Jordan learned a lot while watching home. It’s not all doom and gloom for J love. I’d rather him be in a situation like this rather than be thrown to the wolves of a terrible organization and then washing out after his rookie contract is up.
I'm also to lazy to look that up, so while GFA did that for us, check and see how many played behind the MVP their rookie year. That would also be interesting to know.

I agree that giving JL a year or two before expecting him to contribute has the potential to pay off long term.

astroman31
Has thanked: 0

Post by astroman31 » May 19th, 2021, 8:03 am

Patrick Mahomes started the last game of his rookie season against the Broncos. The regular starter, Alex Smith, sat out to prepare for the playoffs. So Patrick Mahomes was never officially the Chiefs starting QB but was officially the starter for that one game.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 8th, 2021, 11:20 pm

Love could definitely see the field next year. Rodgers skipped a mandatory workout today.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 9th, 2021, 9:50 am

The Rogers summer of media love is in full swing. Doesn't really mean anything what he's up to now. If he wants to play this season it will be as a Packer. Rogers is loving the attention, and doesn't need to practice, so he'll probably skip pre-season, and come back the week before the regular season games start.

Love needs at least another year before he can even compete for a starting position. And that competition won't be with Rogers. Aaron is a starter as long as he's a Packer. Rogers knows that, and the Pack knows that.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic