Aggies rank 33rd nationally in returning production

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Aggies rank 33rd nationally in returning production

Post by ViAggie » April 29th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Notice who's dead last? Some team...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Re: Aggies rank 33rd nationally in returning production

Post by Yossarian » April 29th, 2021, 12:34 pm

I also notice who is #2 (WYO), #5 (UNR), #12 (SJSU), #16 (Uof Hawai'i), #24 (FSU), and #30(BSU). It could be a long season for the Aggies.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Eutaw St. Aggie

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » April 29th, 2021, 12:35 pm

#33 in the nation, but still only 7th in the MW. :crazy: That's lots of talent returning to our conference...

I see Sparty (no... the other ones) are high on the list (#12). I thought some were reporting that they were going to slide back to irrelevance as quickly as they appeared on the scene. Welp, maybe not...

Doesn't help our cause that 5 of our 2021 foes (Wazzu, UH, SJSU, Wyo, BSU) are above us on the list. (or does it...?)

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 29th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 12:34 pm
I also notice who is #2 (WYO), #5 (UNR), #12 (SJSU), #16 (Uof Hawai'i), #24 (FSU), and #30(BSU). It could be a long season for the Aggies.
I agree. A long and lustrous 8-5 season with a win over BYU and in a bowl game. :rock:

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 29th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Actually what does this all mean? A team that was really crappy has most of it’s crappy players back? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Toledo is #1, and Alabama is #120. Oh my gosh...Toledo has the edge in that matchup!!
:) :nono:

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 29th, 2021, 12:57 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 12:50 pm
Actually what does this all mean? A team that was really crappy has most of it’s crappy players back? Is that a good thing or a bad thing.
I don't think it matters much of anything at all. Just look at the bottom 10 teams. I don't imagine they will struggle this fall because they lost all of that production. They will re-load. It might mean more for smaller schools that don't have 4- or 5- star recruits and second-teamers that played behind other 4- and 5- star guys.

Is Starkel coming back to SJSU? They seem to return a lot of production. The question will be on the lines. They had great line play last year (on both sides of the ball). That is where games are won.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
mcaggie1

Eutaw St. Aggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 29th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Information in search of an application.

I had cold pizza for breakfast.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
mcaggie1gomretat

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 29th, 2021, 1:26 pm

I think Nevada and SJSU are going to be very good.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » April 29th, 2021, 1:29 pm

So we play 6 of top 40 ranked teams with returing production... WOW

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » April 29th, 2021, 1:32 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 1:26 pm
I agree. They could work their way into being ranked I think. I am glad we miss Nevada this year and wish the SJSU game was in Logan in Mid November instread of in San Jose.

But on a good note seeing the last place team on that list puts a smile on my face.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 29th, 2021, 5:10 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 1:32 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
I agree. They could work their way into being ranked I think. I am glad we miss Nevada this year and wish the SJSU game was in Logan in Mid November instread of in San Jose.

But on a good note seeing the last place team on that list puts a smile on my face.
Again....this information means NOTHING! BYU will not be hurting like you think it will be (I chose purposely the word “it” instead of “they”.). Alabama, as I stated before, will also not be hurting one little bit, even though they are listed at #120. Based on how some are reacting to this jibberish, the Toledo fans are looking forward to a national championship.
Come on people. :noidea:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 29th, 2021, 5:16 pm

This doesn't illustrate who will be better, again as others have pointed out, if you have the same returning losers from last year, why does it matter? And for the "Biggies" have a fresh crop of the best players in the country will have them winning in no time. It doesn't really mean much, but for the school ranked last? I don't think they have a cupboard full of 4 star recruits.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
mcaggie1

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » April 29th, 2021, 6:01 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 5:10 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Again....this information means NOTHING! BYU will not be hurting like you think it will be (I chose purposely the word “it” instead of “they”.). Alabama, as I stated before, will also not be hurting one little bit, even though they are listed at #120. Based on how some are reacting to this jibberish, the Toledo fans are looking forward to a national championship.
Do I really have to explain to you that this is not compared to other teams it is compared to yourself last year. And it 100% has a bearing on how much production you have to replace an increase in order to get better.
You should really take a look at teams that are successful in college football and how often they have returning offensive lineman.

And I'm not sure if you were talking down to me or not but I can make my own damn decisions on what is Meaningful and what is it and I don't need you berating me online

Game experience matters. If you have game experience you get production.

Also you clearly think San Jose and Nevada are not going to be good at least figure reason for thinking that because everyone else seems to think they're going to be pretty damn good this year

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 29th, 2021, 10:58 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 6:01 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

Do I really have to explain to you that this is not compared to other teams it is compared to yourself last year. And it 100% has a bearing on how much production you have to replace an increase in order to get better.
You should really take a look at teams that are successful in college football and how often they have returning offensive lineman.

And I'm not sure if you were talking down to me or not but I can make my own damn decisions on what is Meaningful and what is it and I don't need you berating me online

Also you clearly think San Jose and Nevada are not going to be good at least figure reason for thinking that because everyone else seems to think they're going to be pretty damn good this year
I was not talking downto you. I apologize if you thought so. This site is for us to express opinions. I expressed my opinion on the subject. You haven’t changed my opinion. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree.
These rankings have little to no meaning for me. If you combined this information with a recruiting list, then I would be more interested.
Thank you for your opinion....and peace.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 30th, 2021, 7:05 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

I think it depends on if it matters. Mostly, a team that was good last year that returns a lot(Nevada and sjsu) will likely be good next year. Bad teams last year that return a lot of production(utah state), who knows if that is a good thing or not, it probably depends on if they were bad last year and returning a lot because they were really young, or they are returning a lot of production because they were so bad that the players had no options to transfer or enter the draft.

I agree though that it is hard to tell much of anything from teams that do not have much returning production. In those cases you have look much more at recruiting rankings.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » April 30th, 2021, 7:56 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 7:05 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

I think it depends on if it matters. Mostly, a team that was good last year that returns a lot(Nevada and sjsu) will likely be good next year. Bad teams last year that return a lot of production(utah state), who knows if that is a good thing or not, it probably depends on if they were bad last year and returning a lot because they were really young, or they are returning a lot of production because they were so bad that the players had no options to transfer or enter the draft.

I agree though that it is hard to tell much of anything from teams that do not have much returning production. In those cases you have look much more at recruiting rankings.
I think even from bad teams, returning production is always a good sign. Experience is rarely ever a bad thing to have. Returning production isn't the only important stat but it does have a clear correlation with success, specifically with G5 teams. It helps to know how you are going to stand compared to those in your weight class. Obviously Bama and Ohio State can lose 100% of their production and still be expected to be great because they have such deep talent. However, if say Texas A&M was in the top 10 in returning production and the rest of the SEC was in the bottom half, it would be fair to predict a good year for A&M even an SEC title run.

As for BYU, they tend to play teams that are out of their weight class pretty regularly. I think next year BYU's schedule is going to eat up an inexperienced squad early in the season and then they will be beaten down and injured for the later games.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
mcaggie1

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 30th, 2021, 9:11 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

I think even from bad teams, returning production is always a good sign. Experience is rarely ever a bad thing to have. Returning production isn't the only important stat but it does have a clear correlation with success, specifically with G5 teams. It helps to know how you are going to stand compared to those in your weight class. Obviously Bama and Ohio State can lose 100% of their production and still be expected to be great because they have such deep talent. However, if say Texas A&M was in the top 10 in returning production and the rest of the SEC was in the bottom half, it would be fair to predict a good year for A&M even an SEC title run.

As for BYU, they tend to play teams that are out of their weight class pretty regularly. I think next year BYU's schedule is going to eat up an inexperienced squad early in the season and then they will be beaten down and injured for the later games.
BYU’s schedule is deceiving and not as difficult as it appears. Lots of weak P5’s
- USC and Utah are good
- UVA finished below .500 in the ACC
- Ariz, ASU, and WSU combined for 3 wins last year
- Boise breaking in new staff and playing in Provo
- Baylor finished 2nd last in the Big12 (2 wins)
- USF was winless in AAC games
- Ga Southern finished .500 in the Sun Belt
- USU was bad last year....TBD for 2021
- Idaho State ......

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 30th, 2021, 9:24 am

I'm really glad the MWC is playing a lot of good but winning OOC games next season. I think the conference could show to be pretty strong. Notables games include:

SJSU: @USC, @Western Michigan
Hawaii: @UCLA, @Oregon State
Fresno: @Oregon, @UCLA
SDSU: @Arizona, Utah
Boise: @UCF, Oklahoma State, @BYU
Nevada: @Cal, @Kansas State
USU: @Washington State, BYU
Colorado State: Vanderbilt, @Toledo @Iowa
Wyoming: @Northern Illinois, Ball State
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
slcagg

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » April 30th, 2021, 1:21 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 9:11 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:

BYU’s schedule is deceiving and not as difficult as it appears. Lots of weak P5’s
- USC and Utah are good
- UVA finished below .500 in the ACC
- Ariz, ASU, and WSU combined for 3 wins last year
- Boise breaking in new staff and playing in Provo
- Baylor finished 2nd last in the Big12 (2 wins)
- USF was winless in AAC games
- Ga Southern finished .500 in the Sun Belt
- USU was bad last year....TBD for 2021
- Idaho State ......
ASU is projected to be almost exactly on par with Utah and USC. Arizona is not far behind them on their projections.

However my comment remains more about BYU than their schedule. They will be equivalent to a worse than the average P5 team and there are a fair number of average or above average P5 teams on here. I don't expect them to have a horrific season but instead about 7-5.

Locked Previous topicNext topic