12 team playoff

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg
Posts: 7512
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1797 times
Been thanked: 1365 times

12 team playoff

Post by slcagg » April 28th, 2021, 11:56 am

Seems to be a lot of smoke here. Could be a 12 or 16 team playoff. Here are some ideas around the 12.

Seeds 1-4 get a bye the first round and host the quarterfinals
Seeds 5-8 get home games the first round
Seeds 9-12 play on the road the first round

-2023 might be the start year
-First two rounds held on campus
-Highest G5 gets an autobid

If this does in fact happen what does the MW need to do make it the most consistent autobid?



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 7768
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1082 times
Been thanked: 446 times

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 28th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Something like this should help the stability of G5 conferences, at least in theory.

It'll be easier for a team with an inflated sense of self-importance like Boise to get to the playoff from the MWC than through Oklahoma and Texas in the Big XII (although they still leave if offered...anyone would. Winning is not the goal, money is).

Although it might not keep teams with an inflated sense of self-importance like Boise from jumping to the AAC.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1889
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 1203 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by JSHarvey » April 28th, 2021, 12:40 pm

What do the teams in the MWC need to do? Provide a team that can consistently win the game it gets invited to.


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Coloraggie
Posts: 1651
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:09 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by Coloraggie » April 29th, 2021, 11:33 am

I've always been an advocate for a 16-team field with all conference champs and 5 at-large getting an invite. However, when listening to the radio the other day I could be convinced that a 10-team field would be ideal. Take the P5 conference champs and the highest rated non-P5 team (i.e. Notre Dame, best G5 conference champ) and rank them 1-6. The next four teams (7-10) would be wild card by any criteria the committee wants to use, the catch is that these last four teams would have a play-in game and then the winners slot in as teams 7-8 for a tourney.

This allows a G5 team to be in. It places emphasis on the P5s winning the conference title but also gives them incentive to schedule OOC games so if they slip in conference they can still be considered. It would also keep out teams like a 6-6 Sun Belt champ that have no business being there. I'd really like to specify that one of the at-large be an Independent/G5 as well but that won't happen. My only fear is that they take Notre Dame every year and 9 P5 schools.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
sstrasser



gomretat
Posts: 765
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by gomretat » April 30th, 2021, 9:05 am

No matter what goes down we know for sure that the rich will get richer. It might benefit some others along the way but that will not be the goal.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
sstrasser



User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3370
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 161 times

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by NowhereLandAggie » May 11th, 2021, 10:00 pm

gomretat wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 9:05 am
No matter what goes down we know for sure that the rich will get richer. It might benefit some others along the way but that will not be the goal.
The rich getting richer has less to do with the bowls or playoff berths and more to do with the TV money, attendance, and boosters.

Larger schools will make $6-7 million per home game and media rights for the SEC will yield around $40-50 million per year.

The bowl payouts are small in comparison. (Still a large chunk of cash, no doubt, but ~60% of Alabama's $159 million budget was the conference TV contract and or football ticket sales.)



User avatar
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Posts: 8154
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 329 times

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by BigBlueDart » May 12th, 2021, 3:20 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
May 11th, 2021, 10:00 pm
gomretat wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 9:05 am
No matter what goes down we know for sure that the rich will get richer. It might benefit some others along the way but that will not be the goal.
The rich getting richer has less to do with the bowls or playoff berths and more to do with the TV money, attendance, and boosters.

Larger schools will make $6-7 million per home game and media rights for the SEC will yield around $40-50 million per year.

The bowl payouts are small in comparison. (Still a large chunk of cash, no doubt, but ~60% of Alabama's $159 million budget was the conference TV contract and or football ticket sales.)
Take it a step further, though, and consider the level of exposure that comes with participation in playoffs and getting national championships, and then the subsequent increase in interest from TV and new fans. I think that a 12+ team playoff will help the mid-majors some, or at least give them more opportunity for that level of exposure, but if access to that exposure is not even across the board I can see the argument that the divide will just continue to get bigger.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1848
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 12th, 2021, 3:29 pm

There just needs to be some pathway to a title for every school. Some may say there already is today, but I don't agree. An undefeated team from the Sun Belt or MAC or (name your G5 conference) that beats every team on their schedule will still never get in to the current 4 team play-off over a 1 or 2 loss P5 team. Even if 95% of the time they probably aren't better, just the fact that there isn't even a realistic path just bugs me. Where's the Cinderellas baby! I agree that the Power conferences will not allow all the G5 conference winners into any play-off that involves less than 24 teams (number in FCS playoffs by the way). Therefore the G5 should propose that they have their own little play-in tourney of sorts to fight it out for 1, 2, or 3 spots in the play-off, depending on how large the playoff field is.



SwaggieAggie
Posts: 245
Joined: September 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: 12 team playoff

Post by SwaggieAggie » May 13th, 2021, 11:46 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 3:29 pm
There just needs to be some pathway to a title for every school. Some may say there already is today, but I don't agree. An undefeated team from the Sun Belt or MAC or (name your G5 conference) that beats every team on their schedule will still never get in to the current 4 team play-off over a 1 or 2 loss P5 team. Even if 95% of the time they probably aren't better, just the fact that there isn't even a realistic path just bugs me. Where's the Cinderellas baby! I agree that the Power conferences will not allow all the G5 conference winners into any play-off that involves less than 24 teams (number in FCS playoffs by the way). Therefore the G5 should propose that they have their own little play-in tourney of sorts to fight it out for 1, 2, or 3 spots in the play-off, depending on how large the playoff field is.
Absolutely agree!! I’ve also been saying this for a while, every team needs a path. Of course the big money and big market teams will always have the advantage in any sports league, but college football is the only league I can think of where champions aren’t actually determined on the field. We have a playoff invitational that’s determined by voters that only a select batch of conferences are eligible for.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic