Salt Lake Tribune's coverage of the scrimmage

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SpectrumMagic

Re: Salt Lake Tribune's coverage of the scrimmage

Post by SpectrumMagic » April 18th, 2021, 11:42 am

rAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 11:00 am
This entire thread is embarrassing for USU fans.

What a terrible look a lot of you are presenting by bullying and harassing a reporter. Was the question great? Maybe not, but who knows whether it is part of a bigger story that is being worked on.

If you feel the need to give feedback, do it in a constructive way. We’ve got people saying he sucks at his job, they need to send another reporter, one guy on Twitter even made a creepy reference to being at the game with a gun.

I guarantee we aren’t all perfection in our jobs day to day, and if you had the peanut gallery questioning everything you did and telling you that you are terrible every time you do something sub-optimally, it would get old fast. It is days like this I realize there is an underbelly of USU fans who are exactly as awful as BYU and Utah folks constantly allege.
Same could be said to those that do the same thing to those that don’t “fall in line”
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
USU78

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 18th, 2021, 11:44 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 11:38 am
rAggie wrote:

What a terrible look a lot of you are presenting by bullying and harassing a reporter. Was the question great? Maybe not, but who knows whether it is part of a bigger story that is being worked on.

If you feel the need to give feedback, do it in a constructive way. We’ve got people saying he sucks at his job, they need to send another reporter, one guy on Twitter even made a creepy reference to being at the game with a gun.

I guarantee we aren’t all perfection in our jobs day to day, and if you had the peanut gallery questioning everything you did and telling you that you are terrible every time you do something sub-optimally, it would get old fast. It is days like this I realize there is an underbelly of USU fans who are exactly as awful as BYU and Utah folks constantly allege.
We have a right to say a reporter covering Aggie football didn't ask good questions as we discuss USU football on an Aggie message board. As I said before, I don't know Coach Anderson so I do rely on the sports media for information on the football program. He didn't do a good job there.

Some of the fan policing on this board is getting tiring. Luckily it is only a few posters who really do it. Yes there are things that can cross the line on here, but saying a reporter covering the Aggies didn't do a good job isn't one of them.
For Utah state I have come to rely upon very little sports “media”. That is the entire reason I come to this board are the insights a handful of folks provide. Add in scotty g and that is about it.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
USU78NVAggiehipsterdoofus21

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 18th, 2021, 12:30 pm

rAggie wrote:

Striking back against petty tyrannies and petty tyrants is never a bad thing.

Bad take.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 12:40 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 11:44 am
April 18th, 2021, 11:38 am
rAggie wrote:

We have a right to say a reporter covering Aggie football didn't ask good questions as we discuss USU football on an Aggie message board. As I said before, I don't know Coach Anderson so I do rely on the sports media for information on the football program. He didn't do a good job there.

Some of the fan policing on this board is getting tiring. Luckily it is only a few posters who really do it. Yes there are things that can cross the line on here, but saying a reporter covering the Aggies didn't do a good job isn't one of them.
For Utah state I have come to rely upon very little sports “media”. That is the entire reason I come to this board are the insights a handful of folks provide. Add in scotty g and that is about it.
Yes this board is great for info. I do appreciate interviews with our coaches in both major sports if the questions are good.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AggieFBObsession

BigSkyAG

Post by BigSkyAG » April 18th, 2021, 12:47 pm

I have been "bullied" and "harassed" by Trib coverage for decades.
These users thanked the author BigSkyAG for the post:
USU78

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » April 18th, 2021, 12:48 pm

rAggie wrote:This entire thread is embarrassing for USU fans.

Haha well my reply to him on Twitter was constructive but your not going to see it. You blocked me from following you even though my tweets are 95% sports related.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post (total 2):
USU78LKGates

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 18th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:Here's the hard hitting analysis we get from our Trib reporter who had a chance to interview Coach Anderson after the game about the scrimmage:

Mask adherence was as well done as I have seen in the Valley. What a maroon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Donman

Post by Donman » April 18th, 2021, 12:53 pm

bigblue wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Haha well my reply to him on Twitter was constructive but your not going to see it. You blocked me from following you even though my tweets are 95% sports related.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Probably not the person to be lecturing on behavior, MIdnight Aggie.

stang

Post by stang » April 18th, 2021, 1:01 pm

April 18th, 2021, 10:37 am
Intermeddler wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 1:17 am
stang wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 12:25 am
It was a dumb question, and that wasn't the time for it, nor was Coach Anderson the right person to ask about it. But I don't get why so many people are so worked up and offended over this. It's not that big of a deal.

Also, if you ever find yourself online making fun of the way someone talks or directly replying to a reporter on Twitter with personal attacks and insults just because you don't like the way they do their job, it might be time to log off.
I don’t think anyone is offended beyond it’s insulting this is the coverage we get from the Tribune. I’d rather have them not send anyone than send this guy if this is what he chooses to focus on.
Yeah even if you are the strictest person alive on mask use, it isn't the coaches job to police the crowd for masks. Personal attacks aren't good, but this guy clearly doesn't really care about USU football if that is what he is focused on when interviewing the coach.

Surprise surprise, I don't know Coach Anderson and will probably never get to ask him a question directly. Since that is my situation, I rely on the media to ask good questions to keep me informed. He didn't do a good job there.
Just to clarify, I 100 percent agree that the Trib's coverage of USU is pretty pathetic, and based on his Aggie coverage in the past, I don't think Alex Vejar is very good at his job. I just feel like there's a very fine line between lamenting about that and making personal attacks. There's no reason to make fun of somebody's voice and call him names just because he asked a silly question.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Intermeddler

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 1:06 pm

stang wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 1:01 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
stang wrote:
It was a dumb question, and that wasn't the time for it, nor was Coach Anderson the right person to ask about it. But I don't get why so many people are so worked up and offended over this. It's not that big of a deal.

Also, if you ever find yourself online making fun of the way someone talks or directly replying to a reporter on Twitter with personal attacks and insults just because you don't like the way they do their job, it might be time to log off.
I don’t think anyone is offended beyond it’s insulting this is the coverage we get from the Tribune. I’d rather have them not send anyone than send this guy if this is what he chooses to focus on.
Yeah even if you are the strictest person alive on mask use, it isn't the coaches job to police the crowd for masks. Personal attacks aren't good, but this guy clearly doesn't really care about USU football if that is what he is focused on when interviewing the coach.

Surprise surprise, I don't know Coach Anderson and will probably never get to ask him a question directly. Since that is my situation, I rely on the media to ask good questions to keep me informed. He didn't do a good job there.
Just to clarify, I 100 percent agree that the Trib's coverage of USU is pretty pathetic, and based on his Aggie coverage in the past, I don't think Alex Vejar is very good at his job. I just feel like there's a very fine line between lamenting about that and making personal attacks. There's no reason to make fun of somebody's voice and call him names just because he asked a silly question.
Agreed. People shouldn't mock his voice, his looks or anything else. Saying he didn't ask the best questions and criticizing him for that is fair game.

Donman

Post by Donman » April 18th, 2021, 1:41 pm

April 18th, 2021, 1:06 pm
stang wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
stang wrote:

Agreed. People shouldn't mock his voice, his looks or anything else. Saying he didn't ask the best questions and criticizing him for that is fair game.
I'd never criticize his voice or looks but I will criticize a stupid question. So woke.
These users thanked the author Donman for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaii2004AG

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 2:03 pm

Donman wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 1:41 pm
April 18th, 2021, 1:06 pm
stang wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
stang wrote:

I'd never criticize his voice or looks but I will criticize a stupid question. So woke.
Yep. Criticizing bad questions by the media is absolutely fair game. Asking a question that has nothing to do with the USU football coach is a bad question.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
2004AGAggieFBObsession

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 18th, 2021, 2:49 pm

embarrassingly bad take.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
USUaggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 18th, 2021, 3:03 pm

rAggie wrote:

Normally, I'd agree with you when a guy is at least attempting to do his job.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 4:23 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 3:03 pm
rAggie wrote:

Normally, I'd agree with you when a guy is at least attempting to do his job.
Yeah if he just asked some questions that weren't the best, but were at least about the football program, I'd say lay off it. Here, he was asking a question that wasn't anything that concerns Coach Anderson. It would be like me going to Subway and asking why I can't order a Big Mac.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 18th, 2021, 4:30 pm

stang wrote:

I am not offended, I have been vaccinated twice, both my eligible kids have been, my younger ones will get it when the trials end, and I wear a mask at work everyday. I am the definition of a pro-vaccer.

This is a stupid question for a reporter. I want to hear journalists unbiased take on the team, the reason I might subscribe to the publication. This was a waste of time of a question. Watch the scrimmage, take notes, and find problems to address with the coach after.

That is called doing your job.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 4:52 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 4:30 pm
stang wrote:

I am not offended, I have been vaccinated twice, both my eligible kids have been, my younger ones will get it when the trials end, and I wear a mask at work everyday. I am the definition of a pro-vaccer.

This is a stupid question for a reporter. I want to hear journalists unbiased take on the team, the reason I might subscribe to the publication. This was a waste of time of a question. Watch the scrimmage, take notes, and find problems to address with the coach after.

That is called doing your job.
Yep. I'm pro vaccine and have got both covid vaccines as well. My proudest moment of the last few months was convincing an anti-vaxxer friend to change his mind and get the vaccine.

It being a bad question has nothing to do with covid, vaccines or masks. It is just an irrelevant question for a football coach by a sports reporter who should be educating his readers on the state of the football program, not on a coach's opinion on what some fans are doing.
NowhereLandAggie

coolag

Post by coolag » April 18th, 2021, 5:28 pm

rAggie wrote:

Regulators.....…mount up!!! And choo frickin choo!!!

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 8:10 pm

coolag wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 5:28 pm
rAggie wrote:

Yep, it was an embarrassing post from the onetime Legendary Aggie poster MidnightTrainAggie.
USUaggie

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » April 18th, 2021, 9:24 pm

rAggie wrote:

People can make their own choice. I am not sure if you agree with him about the masks or not. But I was there I didnt have my mask on. I didnt have anyone within 20 feet of us. And we are both fully vaccinated. Wearing a mask at that point is 100% worthless theater.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 3):
2004AGhipsterdoofus21USUaggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 9:39 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 9:24 pm
rAggie wrote:

People can make their own choice. I am not sure if you agree with him about the masks or not. But I was there I didnt have my mask on. I didnt have anyone within 20 feet of us. And we are both fully vaccinated. Wearing a mask at that point is 100% worthless theater.
Speaking of worthless theater, coaches wearing masks is just that. Unless you believe modesty means covering your chin, I don't see the point of it.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21CastIronAggie

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 19th, 2021, 7:44 am

coolag wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 5:28 pm
rAggie wrote:

Yep, it was an embarrassing post from the onetime Legendary Aggie poster MidnightTrainAggie.
If it’s behind his back it’s not bullying!

Hail Aggies!

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 19th, 2021, 8:33 am

So to get back to his job, did he file an article and was it any good. Just wondering. He was here so hopefully he wrote about it

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 19th, 2021, 10:12 am

April 18th, 2021, 9:39 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
rAggie wrote:

Speaking of worthless theater, coaches wearing masks is just that. Unless you believe modesty means covering your chin, I don't see the point of it.
I agree especially when they are getting tested regularly. It is absolute stupid propaganda to have them wear masks when they are getting tested as frequently as the players.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 19th, 2021, 10:45 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 10:12 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I agree especially when they are getting tested regularly. It is absolute stupid propaganda to have them wear masks when they are getting tested as frequently as the players.
Especially true considering that every time they have a serious conversation with a player or need to yell they pull the mask down to do so.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2021, 11:09 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 10:12 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
rAggie wrote:

Not just stupid, but terrible propaganda as Intermeddler points out since they spend the whole game pulling the mask down to talk to players. You see more images of coaches with the mask on their chin than with it covering their mouth and nose.

Hopefully by next season there won't be a mask mandate, but if there is, they just need to treat coaches the same as players.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » April 19th, 2021, 12:50 pm

rAggie wrote:

:lol:

Where only sage brush grows

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » April 19th, 2021, 1:02 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 8:33 am
So to get back to his job, did he file an article and was it any good. Just wondering. He was here so hopefully he wrote about it
here's the article: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-stat ... footballs/
not exceptionally well written, IMO ("a sense of competitiveness that was few and far between last year"??), and he could have dug a little deeper (nothing in there about either line, linebacking corps, injuries [except to Bonner], or general "depth", etc.). But he at least justified his travel reimbursement request with a football related article, haha.
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
USU78

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » April 19th, 2021, 3:25 pm

For me, it's clear the reporter was looking to create some drama. In essence he was looking to pick a fight of sorts. This effort was transparent to most and they called him on it. Are there some who were less than respectful in doing it? Yes, but they don't speak for all Aggies fans, and he poked a bear to get a reaction, and now he got his reaction. He does not get choose the reaction he gets, however.
These users thanked the author BigBlueBlood for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » April 20th, 2021, 3:45 pm

He did a nice article on the 19th. Read through it and it was as decent as you could expect. Glad he drove up and did some work.

More than we can say for Goon. Sorry Goon your willingness to put any effort into writing stuff on USU will be widely laughed for years to come here.
These users thanked the author crazywookie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 21st, 2021, 10:14 am

uhh, you sure about that? The Goon article I just read about this return missionary recruit out of Bountiful, Utah was pretty freaking good.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
NVAggiecrazywookie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 21st, 2021, 11:14 am

I think Goon released that one on Monday. I'm pretty stocked about that Merrill kid. He seems like a baller.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » April 21st, 2021, 5:41 pm

rAggie wrote:

Kinda like reporters do to pretty much everybody, mostly for clicks?
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post:
USU78

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 21st, 2021, 6:48 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 5:41 pm
rAggie wrote:

Kinda like reporters do to pretty much everybody, mostly for clicks?
Dig. Set. Smash.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Locked Previous topicNext topic