Today’s commit

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg
Posts: 7255
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 1311 times

Today’s commit

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2021, 11:11 am

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
aggies22AggieFBObsessionAggieArmy



slcagg
Posts: 7255
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 1311 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2021, 11:14 am

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 7255
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 1311 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2021, 11:15 am

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11255
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7261 times
Been thanked: 4913 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2021, 11:26 am

Like I said, there were going to be two this week!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg



Aggie84025
Posts: 3670
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 1293 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by Aggie84025 » March 20th, 2021, 12:26 pm

ANy insight on this commit, is he a solid pickup?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11255
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7261 times
Been thanked: 4913 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2021, 12:38 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:26 pm
ANy insight on this commit, is he a solid pickup?
This will be a good signing. He is VERY underrated. He has kind of snuck up on everyone.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9855
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2744 times
Been thanked: 824 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by USU78 » March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

slcagg
Posts: 7255
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 1311 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2021, 1:15 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
Linebacker I’d assume



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2616
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 329 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by newhouse9 » March 20th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Great frame. He looks bigger than 185.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3670
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 1293 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by Aggie84025 » March 20th, 2021, 2:14 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:08 pm
Great frame. He looks bigger than 185.
Agreed, he has nice height as well. A year in the strength room and he would be the perfect linebacker size.



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2616
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 329 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by newhouse9 » March 20th, 2021, 2:24 pm

I was surprised at Otto Tia's size also. That dude looks big!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11255
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7261 times
Been thanked: 4913 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78



slcagg
Posts: 7255
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 1311 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2021, 3:10 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:24 pm
I was surprised at Otto Tia's size also. That dude looks big!
Yes he does. That video with our wr coach had tia in there and he looked really big. Granted we have small receivers.



slcagg
Posts: 7255
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 1311 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:14 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:08 pm
Great frame. He looks bigger than 185.
Agreed, he has nice height as well. A year in the strength room and he would be the perfect linebacker size.
Both commits this week have nice length.



SlumJum
Posts: 43
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 10:34 am
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by SlumJum » March 20th, 2021, 6:01 pm

Either of the commits this week mission kids?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11255
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7261 times
Been thanked: 4913 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2021, 6:33 pm

SlumJum wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Either of the commits this week mission kids?
Chase is NOT. I'm not sure about Max yet.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
SlumJum



Intermeddler
Posts: 2263
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by Intermeddler » March 21st, 2021, 2:07 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
If Banda sticks with the Diaz philosophy then we can expect to recruit seemingly undersized guys and bulk them up a bit to get speed on the field. A bunch of Miami’s LBs the last couple classes have been 190-210 when they arrived.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
AggieFBObsession



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11255
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7261 times
Been thanked: 4913 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by aggies22 » March 21st, 2021, 7:44 am

Intermeddler wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 2:07 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
If Banda sticks with the Diaz philosophy then we can expect to recruit seemingly undersized guys and bulk them up a bit to get speed on the field. A bunch of Miami’s LBs the last couple classes have been 190-210 when they arrived.
Your insight into how Miami does things and how it applies here has been great! Thank you my Aggie brother!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Intermeddler



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11255
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7261 times
Been thanked: 4913 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by aggies22 » March 21st, 2021, 7:45 am

Intermeddler wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 2:07 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
If Banda sticks with the Diaz philosophy then we can expect to recruit seemingly undersized guys and bulk them up a bit to get speed on the field. A bunch of Miami’s LBs the last couple classes have been 190-210 when they arrived.
Patrick Joyner has been pretty good so far by the way.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg



slcagg
Posts: 7255
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 1311 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2021, 7:54 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 7:45 am
Intermeddler wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 2:07 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
If Banda sticks with the Diaz philosophy then we can expect to recruit seemingly undersized guys and bulk them up a bit to get speed on the field. A bunch of Miami’s LBs the last couple classes have been 190-210 when they arrived.
Patrick Joyner has been pretty good so far by the way.
Playing d end right? Does he look big enough out there for that position? Between he and the Texas transfer do you foresee both starting? I’d guess heninger will give them a run for their money.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11255
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7261 times
Been thanked: 4913 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by aggies22 » March 21st, 2021, 7:56 am

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 7:54 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 7:45 am
Intermeddler wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 2:07 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
If Banda sticks with the Diaz philosophy then we can expect to recruit seemingly undersized guys and bulk them up a bit to get speed on the field. A bunch of Miami’s LBs the last couple classes have been 190-210 when they arrived.
Patrick Joyner has been pretty good so far by the way.
Playing d end right? Does he look big enough out there for that position? Between he and the Texas transfer do you foresee both starting? I’d guess heninger will give them a run for their money.
If the past holds true Heninger will likely start. He does look bigger than the 225 that he is listed at. Byron Vaughns looks and moves like Tipa with the 30 to 35 pounds that we wished Tipa had.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2616
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 329 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by newhouse9 » March 21st, 2021, 11:26 am

Vaughns has amazing energy.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
aggies22



Intermeddler
Posts: 2263
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by Intermeddler » March 21st, 2021, 7:23 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 7:45 am
Intermeddler wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 2:07 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
If Banda sticks with the Diaz philosophy then we can expect to recruit seemingly undersized guys and bulk them up a bit to get speed on the field. A bunch of Miami’s LBs the last couple classes have been 190-210 when they arrived.
Patrick Joyner has been pretty good so far by the way.
Good to hear. I’m hopeful for him and think he can be a good player at DE which is his best spot.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22



cbingham
Posts: 329
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:26 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by cbingham » March 22nd, 2021, 10:56 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
The LB (and safety) position has changed as much as any in the RPO era. Funny to think back to the Busta type prototypical LB that went 230-240 and had responsibility primarily for the A and B gaps with a vertical drop in pass. OLBs set the edge and then generally went to the flat. With RPOs and having to chase both TE's that can get vertical and RBs that double as additional slot receivers LBs are so different than what we all grew up with. Glad to see that USU is going with length and speed at LB. what We'll need for the foreseeable future. A review of the change in what a safety has to bring to the table is even crazier... think Taylor Mays would be a 3 time All-American in today's game? No way he could ever play boundary safety and may nominally be fast enough to play OLB in most modern defenses. I think the defense that demonstrates this change most was Kwiatkowski's defense he ran at UWash. They basically ran a hybrid 2-4-5 defense that would flex to 3-3-5 in short yardage to counter RPOs and allowed somewhat of a bend don't break approach. THey put up incredible numbers.... think we'll see more defenses leverage some of this innovation.
These users thanked the author cbingham for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11255
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7261 times
Been thanked: 4913 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by aggies22 » March 22nd, 2021, 10:58 am

cbingham wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 10:56 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm
USU78 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Fast/athletic enough for a strong safety? Or bulk him up for a linebacker?
He'll play OLB.
The LB (and safety) position has changed as much as any in the RPO era. Funny to think back to the Busta type prototypical LB that went 230-240 and had responsibility primarily for the A and B gaps with a vertical drop in pass. OLBs set the edge and then generally went to the flat. With RPOs and having to chase both TE's that can get vertical and RBs that double as additional slot receivers LBs are so different than what we all grew up with. Glad to see that USU is going with length and speed at LB. what We'll need for the foreseeable future. A review of the change in what a safety has to bring to the table is even crazier... think Taylor Mays would be a 3 time All-American in today's game? No way he could ever play boundary safety and may nominally be fast enough to play OLB in most modern defenses. I think the defense that demonstrates this change most was Kwiatkowski's defense he ran at UWash. They basically ran a hybrid 2-4-5 defense that would flex to 3-3-5 in short yardage to counter RPOs and allowed somewhat of a bend don't break approach. THey put up incredible numbers.... think we'll see more defenses leverage some of this innovation.
Solid post my Aggie brother!



SlumJum
Posts: 43
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 10:34 am
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by SlumJum » March 22nd, 2021, 5:01 pm



We getting another one?



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 7506
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 997 times
Been thanked: 423 times

Re: Today’s commit

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 8:59 pm

SlumJum wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 5:01 pm


We getting another one?
Jackson? There's a thread about him. A DT from Florida.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic