Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg
Posts: 7512
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1797 times
Been thanked: 1365 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by slcagg » May 6th, 2021, 10:13 pm

Speaking of linebacker transfers, the athletic mentioned our guys as some of the larger impact transfers in the country.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/5/4 ... utah-state
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
El Sapo



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1413
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by El Sapo » May 7th, 2021, 10:26 am

Stop the run first. Then get some pressure on the QB!!! Love it!

"Rice opted to follow coach Blake Anderson to Utah State for his super senior season and performed well this spring. Texas transfer Byron Vaughns also had an excellent spring and is a long, twitchy athlete with a high motor and three years to play. Between those two, the Aggies have added some serious talent at linebacker.”
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
slcagg


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

LoveMyAggies
Posts: 330
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by LoveMyAggies » May 15th, 2021, 2:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 10:56 am
Here is what I've put together as the depth chart after sitting through the first two days of practice.

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 162470986/
I know fall camp is right around the corner, and a lot has changed in the past 6 months. Looks exciting. Can we discuss further the impact players on both sides of the ball who are regarded as MW First and second team type of players. Who are they?

Which Wr position will Jamie nance play?

Are there any contenders for All-Americans on the team?



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1848
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 15th, 2021, 8:20 pm

When Anderson was hired and announced we were going to run a super uptempo offense, folks questioned him about how he would address the stress it puts on the defense. His simple answer was that he would recruit more players and depth on defense than on offense. Well he’s put his money where his mouth is. I think he’s pulled in not only some difference makers on defense but built up some nice depth. Unlike the last year of Wells/Yoss where our defense would cry “Uncle” by the 4th quarter, I think Anderson is approaching it the right way. I think our secondary is deep, we are talented and deep at backer, and we have a corral full of bulls on the d-line. Excited to see what Banda and his band of brothers can orchestrate on defense. We know Anderson and company will eventually get the offense humming.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 3):
El SapoUSU78NavyBlueAggie



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2761
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 2039 times
Been thanked: 230 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 15th, 2021, 8:29 pm

At this point, I’m not just drinking the kool-aid, I’m swimming in it. This team is going to surprise a lot of people and they’re going to be really fun to watch. I’m calling it: we get a P5 win and reach 8 wins.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
El Sapo


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

User avatar
PIGSKINAGGIE
Posts: 21
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 10:52 pm
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » May 15th, 2021, 11:16 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 8:29 pm
At this point, I’m not just drinking the kool-aid, I’m swimming in it. This team is going to surprise a lot of people and they’re going to be really fun to watch. I’m calling it: we get a P5 win and reach 8 wins.
I agree, I have high hopes for the team this year IF, the qb can stay healthy and we can get a high level of play from the qb position. Every other question mark has pretty well been taken care of. I believe it will all come down to that. If that happens, I think we have a very good chance to contend for division champ.
These users thanked the author PIGSKINAGGIE for the post:
BLUERUFiO



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1413
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by El Sapo » May 17th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Banda Brothers...... :cheers: . there it is!

I couldn't be more excited about the season as well. Even though I know better, I'm swimming with Blurufio in the kool-aid. The reason being that we didn't need a influx of talent. I thought we had a competitive roster of players. What we needed was coaching. I could have assembled a coaching staff from this forum that could have won a game last season, matching GA and that other doofus. Now? We have an actual coaching staff. :notworthy:

Oh yea, we added some probable starting players to an already good roster.


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6018
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 600 times
Been thanked: 1238 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 18th, 2021, 8:33 am

Here's my own current depth chart I like to keep based off what I saw at spring practice (It's hard though because there's so many injuries) & with the info Aggies22 has posted.

I tried to only go 3 deep & include scholarship players. There's more who should see the field though such as Quinton Hadnot WR & Pailate Makakona RB. There's also apparently some un-named DL grad transfer that might start at DT.

I think it's clear we still need 1-2 guys brought in on the O-line and I still expect to see one more DB brought in (and who knows what other solid pieces this staff will add). Other than that most the holes look to be all shored up. :rock:

Image

Image
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 8):
slcaggUSU78Aggie84025BLUERUFiOaggies22AggieArmyAussieAggieDadEl Sapo



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7395
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 329 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by GeoAg » May 18th, 2021, 10:15 am

That offense looks like a recipe for a great offense in 2022. I think we'll see improvement and lay the foundation for a great year with never everyone returning on offense

Defense has so many upper classmen we have to hope for a lot of improvement this year and it is hard to really get a feel for the future right now.

Regardless, I have a pretty high level of optimism with this staff and where we appear to be headed.


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

KoryBowling
Posts: 12
Joined: January 2nd, 2021, 12:36 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by KoryBowling » May 18th, 2021, 12:07 pm

I think you will see a good bit of Bowling and Thompkins on the field at the same time in a 5 set package.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author KoryBowling for the post (total 7):
BLUERUFiOslcaggUSU78Roy McAvoyflying_scotsman2.0aggies22AggieArmy



slcagg
Posts: 7512
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1797 times
Been thanked: 1365 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by slcagg » May 18th, 2021, 12:21 pm

KoryBowling wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 12:07 pm
I think you will see a good bit of Bowling and Thompkins on the field at the same time in a 5 set package.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excited your son is an aggie!



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 10070
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2839 times
Been thanked: 845 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by USU78 » May 18th, 2021, 12:29 pm

KoryBowling wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 12:07 pm
I think you will see a good bit of Bowling and Thompkins on the field at the same time in a 5 set package.
Me likee! :cheers:

Tell us about his blocking, please. We were weak in our downfield blocking during last year's miserable season.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

KoryBowling
Posts: 12
Joined: January 2nd, 2021, 12:36 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by KoryBowling » May 18th, 2021, 1:20 pm

He is scrappy for his size. Cefalo will make sure they block for one another.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author KoryBowling for the post (total 4):
USU78BLUERUFiOaggies22AggieArmy



KoryBowling
Posts: 12
Joined: January 2nd, 2021, 12:36 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by KoryBowling » May 18th, 2021, 1:22 pm

He is excited as well! Really loves the campus and the players. We are hopeful for a great season. Wishes he had another year or two to play in Logan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author KoryBowling for the post (total 5):
BLUERUFiOslcaggAggieArmySwaggieAggieAussieAggieDad



LoveMyAggies
Posts: 330
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by LoveMyAggies » May 20th, 2021, 3:43 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 2:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 10:56 am
Here is what I've put together as the depth chart after sitting through the first two days of practice.

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 162470986/
I know fall camp is right around the corner, and a lot has changed in the past 6 months. Looks exciting. Can we discuss further the impact players on both sides of the ball who are regarded as MW First and second team type of players. Who are they?

Which Wr position will Jamie nance play?

Are there any contenders for All-Americans on the team?
I guess my first question was answered by the DesNews

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/18/22437 ... e-football
Two of those players, Rice and Hobbs-Vaughns have already drawn rave reviews, as recently as last week in The Athletic in a story ranking the most impactful transfers of the offseason.

“Rice was one of the more unique transfer stories of the wild 2020 season,” Max Olson and Bruce Feldman wrote. “The linebacker left Fresno State in the middle of August as a grad transfer after being named preseason defensive player of the year in the Mountain West. He joined Arkansas State and was on the field two weeks later. Rice had another terrific season there with 76 tackles and a nation-leading 18.5 tackles for loss.

“He then opted to follow coach Blake Anderson to Utah State for his super senior season and performed well this spring. Texas transfer Byron Vaughns also had an excellent spring and is a long, twitchy athlete with a high motor and three years to play. Between those two, the Aggies have added some serious talent at linebacker.”

I hope Vaughns can lead the defense, and put up 10-15 TFL and 15-18 Sacks, that would help a lot the defense. Maybe be defensive MWC player of the year?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11411
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7391 times
Been thanked: 5078 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » May 20th, 2021, 4:29 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 3:43 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 2:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 10:56 am
Here is what I've put together as the depth chart after sitting through the first two days of practice.

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 162470986/
I know fall camp is right around the corner, and a lot has changed in the past 6 months. Looks exciting. Can we discuss further the impact players on both sides of the ball who are regarded as MW First and second team type of players. Who are they?

Which Wr position will Jamie nance play?

Are there any contenders for All-Americans on the team?
I guess my first question was answered by the DesNews

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/18/22437 ... e-football
Two of those players, Rice and Hobbs-Vaughns have already drawn rave reviews, as recently as last week in The Athletic in a story ranking the most impactful transfers of the offseason.

“Rice was one of the more unique transfer stories of the wild 2020 season,” Max Olson and Bruce Feldman wrote. “The linebacker left Fresno State in the middle of August as a grad transfer after being named preseason defensive player of the year in the Mountain West. He joined Arkansas State and was on the field two weeks later. Rice had another terrific season there with 76 tackles and a nation-leading 18.5 tackles for loss.

“He then opted to follow coach Blake Anderson to Utah State for his super senior season and performed well this spring. Texas transfer Byron Vaughns also had an excellent spring and is a long, twitchy athlete with a high motor and three years to play. Between those two, the Aggies have added some serious talent at linebacker.”

I hope Vaughns can lead the defense, and put up 10-15 TFL and 15-18 Sacks, that would help a lot the defense. Maybe be defensive MWC player of the year?
15 to 18 sacks in season would definitely land a dude Player of the Year honors.



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 16020
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: Arlington, VA
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 779 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by QuackAttackAggie » May 21st, 2021, 12:11 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 4:29 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 3:43 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 2:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 10:56 am
Here is what I've put together as the depth chart after sitting through the first two days of practice.

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 162470986/
I know fall camp is right around the corner, and a lot has changed in the past 6 months. Looks exciting. Can we discuss further the impact players on both sides of the ball who are regarded as MW First and second team type of players. Who are they?

Which Wr position will Jamie nance play?

Are there any contenders for All-Americans on the team?
I guess my first question was answered by the DesNews

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/18/22437 ... e-football
Two of those players, Rice and Hobbs-Vaughns have already drawn rave reviews, as recently as last week in The Athletic in a story ranking the most impactful transfers of the offseason.

“Rice was one of the more unique transfer stories of the wild 2020 season,” Max Olson and Bruce Feldman wrote. “The linebacker left Fresno State in the middle of August as a grad transfer after being named preseason defensive player of the year in the Mountain West. He joined Arkansas State and was on the field two weeks later. Rice had another terrific season there with 76 tackles and a nation-leading 18.5 tackles for loss.

“He then opted to follow coach Blake Anderson to Utah State for his super senior season and performed well this spring. Texas transfer Byron Vaughns also had an excellent spring and is a long, twitchy athlete with a high motor and three years to play. Between those two, the Aggies have added some serious talent at linebacker.”

I hope Vaughns can lead the defense, and put up 10-15 TFL and 15-18 Sacks, that would help a lot the defense. Maybe be defensive MWC player of the year?
15 to 18 sacks in season would definitely land a dude Player of the Year honors.
Are you sure? It'd only be the third most sacks in a season by any player on any team in a 12 years.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11411
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7391 times
Been thanked: 5078 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » May 21st, 2021, 7:13 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 12:11 am
aggies22 wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 4:29 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 3:43 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 2:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 10:56 am
Here is what I've put together as the depth chart after sitting through the first two days of practice.

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 162470986/
I know fall camp is right around the corner, and a lot has changed in the past 6 months. Looks exciting. Can we discuss further the impact players on both sides of the ball who are regarded as MW First and second team type of players. Who are they?

Which Wr position will Jamie nance play?

Are there any contenders for All-Americans on the team?
I guess my first question was answered by the DesNews

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/18/22437 ... e-football
Two of those players, Rice and Hobbs-Vaughns have already drawn rave reviews, as recently as last week in The Athletic in a story ranking the most impactful transfers of the offseason.

“Rice was one of the more unique transfer stories of the wild 2020 season,” Max Olson and Bruce Feldman wrote. “The linebacker left Fresno State in the middle of August as a grad transfer after being named preseason defensive player of the year in the Mountain West. He joined Arkansas State and was on the field two weeks later. Rice had another terrific season there with 76 tackles and a nation-leading 18.5 tackles for loss.

“He then opted to follow coach Blake Anderson to Utah State for his super senior season and performed well this spring. Texas transfer Byron Vaughns also had an excellent spring and is a long, twitchy athlete with a high motor and three years to play. Between those two, the Aggies have added some serious talent at linebacker.”

I hope Vaughns can lead the defense, and put up 10-15 TFL and 15-18 Sacks, that would help a lot the defense. Maybe be defensive MWC player of the year?
15 to 18 sacks in season would definitely land a dude Player of the Year honors.
Are you sure? It'd only be the third most sacks in a season by any player on any team in a 12 years.
You may have a point. We are Utah State and for some reason our players aren't given awards here. Bobby Wagner was a shoo-in and even he wasn't voted Defensive Player of the Year. They gave it to some dude at Louisiana Tech.



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2298
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 239 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 25th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Then our Athletic Department better dig in and begin some serious behind the scenes lobbying to elevate the league profile of Utah State University. Need to GOYA....and get after it Athletic Department. Have a plan, have some guts, have some goals beyond drawing a paycheck.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
El Sapo



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6018
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 600 times
Been thanked: 1238 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am

I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 6):
slcaggthegreendalegelfBLUERUFiOaggies22USU78AggieArmy



browntown
Posts: 35
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 2:21 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by browntown » May 28th, 2021, 9:57 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
Thanks for posting that and keeping a rough draft. First thing that sticks out to me is the DLine and our front 7, with potentially 3/4 of the DLine being new.

Question from an uninformed football mind here: what kind of formation is this with just two linebacker spots? I am used to previous formations with either 3 or 4 linebackers (seemed to be more aggressive blitzing this way too if I recall).



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11411
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7391 times
Been thanked: 5078 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » May 28th, 2021, 10:05 am

browntown wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:57 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
Thanks for posting that and keeping a rough draft. First thing that sticks out to me is the DLine and our front 7, with potentially 3/4 of the DLine being new.

Question from an uninformed football mind here: what kind of formation is this with just two linebacker spots? I am used to previous formations with either 3 or 4 linebackers (seemed to be more aggressive blitzing this way too if I recall).
With the striker basically being a hybrid safety, I would call this formation a 4-2-5.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
El Sapo



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1413
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by El Sapo » May 28th, 2021, 11:03 am

Hey Air Force, this year when you look us over we'll have 7 big bodies in the box.


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1848
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 28th, 2021, 11:04 am

browntown wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
Thanks for posting that and keeping a rough draft. First thing that sticks out to me is the DLine and our front 7, with potentially 3/4 of the DLine being new.

Question from an uninformed football mind here: what kind of formation is this with just two linebacker spots? I am used to previous formations with either 3 or 4 linebackers (seemed to be more aggressive blitzing this way too if I recall).
Both Jahaziel Lee (6’3” 310) and Phil Paea (6’4” 302) are big dudes. Should be able to clogg up the middle and let our other guys fly around and make some plays. I’m not sure Paea will beat out Marcus Moore for a starting spot but there’s no doubt we will be rotating lots of guys in on the D-line. Really excited about how deep we should be and ability to keep throwing fresh bodies out there.

The 4 deep running back competition should be fun to watch. All 4 are capable. Another position that we should be able to keep fresh throughout the game.

So Andy Koch is still listed on the roster. Are expecting him to play? Also interesting that Ali’ifua is 3rd string center on your depth chart. Wasn’t he a multiple year starter? Says a lot about the development and recruiting if so.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
El Sapo



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6018
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 600 times
Been thanked: 1238 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 28th, 2021, 11:22 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 11:04 am
browntown wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
Thanks for posting that and keeping a rough draft. First thing that sticks out to me is the DLine and our front 7, with potentially 3/4 of the DLine being new.

Question from an uninformed football mind here: what kind of formation is this with just two linebacker spots? I am used to previous formations with either 3 or 4 linebackers (seemed to be more aggressive blitzing this way too if I recall).
Both Jahaziel Lee (6’3” 310) and Phil Paea (6’4” 302) are big dudes. Should be able to clogg up the middle and let our other guys fly around and make some plays. I’m not sure Paea will beat out Marcus Moore for a starting spot but there’s no doubt we will be rotating lots of guys in on the D-line. Really excited about how deep we should be and ability to keep throwing fresh bodies out there.

The 4 deep running back competition should be fun to watch. All 4 are capable. Another position that we should be able to keep fresh throughout the game.

So Andy Koch is still listed on the roster. Are expecting him to play? Also interesting that Ali’ifua is 3rd string center on your depth chart. Wasn’t he a multiple year starter? Says a lot about the development and recruiting if so.
I listed Paea & Lee as starters simply due to the fact of how big they are. I don't know if they will but are obviously talented & big so :noidea:.

I put Ali'ifua as 3rd because that's where Aggies22 had him on the his spring depth chart after watching spring ball.

I'm assuming Andy Koch won't be able to play due to a medical issues per Aggies22 post & the fact that he's been out all spring.



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1413
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by El Sapo » May 28th, 2021, 11:24 am

I assume Rice will call the defensive plays. Correct?


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

hickaggie
Posts: 3306
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by hickaggie » May 28th, 2021, 11:29 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 10:05 am
browntown wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:57 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
Thanks for posting that and keeping a rough draft. First thing that sticks out to me is the DLine and our front 7, with potentially 3/4 of the DLine being new.

Question from an uninformed football mind here: what kind of formation is this with just two linebacker spots? I am used to previous formations with either 3 or 4 linebackers (seemed to be more aggressive blitzing this way too if I recall).
With the striker basically being a hybrid safety, I would call this formation a 4-2-5.
Its not a traditional 4-2-5 (4-4). I would say the striker looks pretty much like an outsider backer in function so its run like a 4-3 with a smaller, quicker, faster backer who can also play nickel? Or does a safety come up to act as nickel in 3 receiver sets (Certainly will have to in doubles and triples). Makes sense against today's offenses that a one deep safety set puts too much pressure on the corners.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11411
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7391 times
Been thanked: 5078 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » May 28th, 2021, 11:49 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 11:04 am
browntown wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
Thanks for posting that and keeping a rough draft. First thing that sticks out to me is the DLine and our front 7, with potentially 3/4 of the DLine being new.

Question from an uninformed football mind here: what kind of formation is this with just two linebacker spots? I am used to previous formations with either 3 or 4 linebackers (seemed to be more aggressive blitzing this way too if I recall).
Both Jahaziel Lee (6’3” 310) and Phil Paea (6’4” 302) are big dudes. Should be able to clogg up the middle and let our other guys fly around and make some plays. I’m not sure Paea will beat out Marcus Moore for a starting spot but there’s no doubt we will be rotating lots of guys in on the D-line. Really excited about how deep we should be and ability to keep throwing fresh bodies out there.

The 4 deep running back competition should be fun to watch. All 4 are capable. Another position that we should be able to keep fresh throughout the game.

So Andy Koch is still listed on the roster. Are expecting him to play? Also interesting that Ali’ifua is 3rd string center on your depth chart. Wasn’t he a multiple year starter? Says a lot about the development and recruiting if so.
Along the defensive line, there isn't really a 1st and 2nd guy, it's more like starter 1A and 1B because they rotate so often compared to other positions on the field.

Based on the info I've received, I would be surprised if Koch is in camp in August BUT before David Woodward was ruled out, he came back in August and gave it one more try but two concussions in a couple of months ultimately did him in.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11411
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7391 times
Been thanked: 5078 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » May 28th, 2021, 11:50 am

El Sapo wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 11:24 am
I assume Rice will call the defensive plays. Correct?
I'm pretty sure that will be up to Coach Banda. Haha!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
El Sapo



SlumJum
Posts: 51
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 10:34 am
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by SlumJum » May 28th, 2021, 11:57 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
I'm interested to see if you saw it different, but to me it looked like Jordan Nathan was the second string behind Mcgriff and Scarver was the other starting WR opposite Mcgriff.

I'm interested to see how the O-Line shakes out. It was tough to get a read on it with so many guys injured in the spring.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11411
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7391 times
Been thanked: 5078 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » May 28th, 2021, 11:59 am

SlumJum wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 11:57 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
I'm interested to see if you saw it different, but to me it looked like Jordan Nathan was the second string behind Mcgriff and Scarver was the other starting WR opposite Mcgriff.

I'm interested to see how the O-Line shakes out. It was tough to get a read on it with so many guys injured in the spring.
The offensive line and the secondary. Especially the cornerbacks. I've heard that Luke Marion might miss the upcoming season.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15878
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 476 times
Been thanked: 893 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by brownjeans » May 28th, 2021, 12:21 pm

browntown wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:57 am
Question from an uninformed football mind here: what kind of formation is this with just two linebacker spots? I am used to previous formations with either 3 or 4 linebackers (seemed to be more aggressive blitzing this way too if I recall).
I'm not sure it's that different from a personnel standpoint than defenses that we've ran in the past.

The DEs are kind of between LB and a DE. Think Bojay, D.J. Tialavea, even Kyler fit this body type. The Striker is between a S and a LB - think Mo Alexander.



Yossarian
Posts: 5272
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 991 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by Yossarian » May 28th, 2021, 12:28 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 11:59 am
SlumJum wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 11:57 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
I'm interested to see if you saw it different, but to me it looked like Jordan Nathan was the second string behind Mcgriff and Scarver was the other starting WR opposite Mcgriff.

I'm interested to see how the O-Line shakes out. It was tough to get a read on it with so many guys injured in the spring.
The offensive line and the secondary. Especially the cornerbacks. I've heard that Luke Marion might miss the upcoming season.
Where do Wakely and Mendenhall figure in the depth chart at safety?



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1413
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by El Sapo » May 28th, 2021, 1:03 pm

This should be really fun to watch play out. Especially on defense and the OL. Competition in all the groups.


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11411
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7391 times
Been thanked: 5078 times

Re: Week One Spring Ball Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » May 28th, 2021, 1:23 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 12:28 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 11:59 am
SlumJum wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 11:57 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
I updated my rough draft depth chart with the new additions.

Image


Image
I'm interested to see if you saw it different, but to me it looked like Jordan Nathan was the second string behind Mcgriff and Scarver was the other starting WR opposite Mcgriff.

I'm interested to see how the O-Line shakes out. It was tough to get a read on it with so many guys injured in the spring.
The offensive line and the secondary. Especially the cornerbacks. I've heard that Luke Marion might miss the upcoming season.
Where do Wakely and Mendenhall figure in the depth chart at safety?
Mendenhall will be playing striker. Wakely may end up back at QB. He was actually playing cornerback during spring ball once all the injuries occurred.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic