Spring Ball

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
jeffdan25

Re: Spring Ball

Post by jeffdan25 » March 15th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:17 pm
I was at practice as well. Here’s a few random thoughts:

- Byron Vaughns may be the best athlete on the field. He’s a beast. I’m really excited for him.
- AJV looks really good physically. He’s gotten stronger.
- the corner group looked really solid & athletic.
- The QB position outside of Bonner is not good. So many poor balls thrown.
- I’m really worried about the other safety spot. I predict this position has a transfer brought in after spring ball.
- I actually felt like the WR’s looked good. McGriff looks great. Thompkins & Nathan look good too. I think at minimum we’ve got 3 solid WR’s.
I guess I should’ve clarified more haha. I completely agree the Qb spot looked bad. I just think Calvin looked the best out of all of them. Peasley and legas were very in accurate. Wakely looked awful. I hope Bonner is better but we won’t know this spring.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » March 15th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:26 pm
jeffdan25 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 7:49 pm
I will say after watching practice today our defense is going to be legit. I know there is no pads and it’s day one , but dang did they look the part. Vaughn’s looks like one of the best athletes on the field! That dude is built and crazy athletic. Our linebacker core looks very very good. Cash looks like he is in the best shape of his career at usu and looked really solid. AJV is going to be a bad man. He has really packed on the muscle and looked fast. We seemed to rotate quite a few guys at the left corner spot with cam lampkin almost always with the ones on the right side. I was pretty surprised to see reed starting at the other safety spot. Offensively was a mixed bag. Peasley looked really shaky. The best quarterback in my eyes today was Calvin and it wasn’t really close. Otto tia looked really really good. Bowling, Nathan , McGriff, and Wright all had good days. Tim Patrick looked really solid in individual drills. Again first day no pads but dang it was fun!
I am hoping bonner will be solid. Sucks he is out for spring it would have been nice to see have get chemistry with the group. How did Cooper look?
He didn’t look very good at all.

SlumJum

Post by SlumJum » March 15th, 2021, 8:29 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:26 pm
jeffdan25 wrote:
I will say after watching practice today our defense is going to be legit. I know there is no pads and it’s day one , but dang did they look the part. Vaughn’s looks like one of the best athletes on the field! That dude is built and crazy athletic. Our linebacker core looks very very good. Cash looks like he is in the best shape of his career at usu and looked really solid. AJV is going to be a bad man. He has really packed on the muscle and looked fast. We seemed to rotate quite a few guys at the left corner spot with cam lampkin almost always with the ones on the right side. I was pretty surprised to see reed starting at the other safety spot. Offensively was a mixed bag. Peasley looked really shaky. The best quarterback in my eyes today was Calvin and it wasn’t really close. Otto tia looked really really good. Bowling, Nathan , McGriff, and Wright all had good days. Tim Patrick looked really solid in individual drills. Again first day no pads but dang it was fun!
I am hoping bonner will be solid. Sucks he is out for spring it would have been nice to see have get chemistry with the group. How did Cooper look?
Legas got the second string reps and maybe even some first, but he did not stand out. As Roy said, QB play was underwhelming.
Last edited by SlumJum on March 15th, 2021, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » March 15th, 2021, 8:29 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:24 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:17 pm
I was at practice as well. Here’s a few random thoughts:

- Byron Vaughns may be the best athlete on the field. He’s a beast. I’m really excited for him.
- AJV looks really good physically. He’s gotten stronger.
- the corner group looked really solid & athletic.
- The QB position outside of Bonner is not good. So many poor balls thrown.
- I’m really worried about the other safety spot. I predict this position has a transfer brought in after spring ball.
- I actually felt like the WR’s looked good. McGriff looks great. Thompkins & Nathan look good too. I think at minimum we’ve got 3 solid WR’s.
Did McGriff high point the ball to use his height or keep his hands low?
McGriff looked very good. He had a few low catches but that was ball placement not on him.

ususports

Post by ususports » March 15th, 2021, 9:38 pm

So what I’m hearing is that if Bonner gets hurt (again), we are screwed. Is that correct?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2021, 10:14 pm

jeffdan25 wrote:
Where did they have Otto lined up at? I have a good feeling about him.

Dline seems to have some solid depth.

ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » March 15th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Jarrod Green was the other safety. (Reed isn't here) and Green was absolutely awful in one on one drills and 7 on 7.

Otto Tia was on the outside WR spot and looked incredible......caught everything in sight......and looked the part to get early playing time.

I loved the new CB coach Ray Brown. He held all the CB's accountable....I think we will be happier the way the CB's are coached this year.

Shaq Bond......my goodness.....made play after play after play out there.
These users thanked the author ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN for the post (total 2):
AussieAggieDadBLUERUFiO

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » March 15th, 2021, 11:25 pm

SlumJum wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 7:09 pm
I'll preface this with me being new to watching the practices, so if anyone has any notes to add to mine please do.
Offense starters
Qb: Peasley
Rb: Gentry (this one was not set at all)
WR: Mcgriff
Slot: Thompkins
WR: Bowling
TE: terrell
RT: 73
RG: 76
C: Dolphin
LG: 79
LT: edwards

Not playing: bonner - walking boot
Jacob South wore 73 today. 76 is Owens and 79 is Meacham. I did not see Aliifua on the field today.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 16th, 2021, 3:01 am

taniataylor wrote:
pilotaggie wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 3:36 pm
taniataylor wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 2:57 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 2:16 pm
BigBlueSteve wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 1:58 pm
Since COVID restrictions will have been lifted, will we have the post-scrimmage on field meet & greet like we used to?
Do they do that for Spring ball? I thought that was just at the end of Fall camp?
Yeah, they do that normally for the spring game as well.

But it's anybody's guess if enough COVID restrictions will have been lifted by then for meeting and greeting on the field to happen. I would guess that No, they will have to ask us all to leave as soon the scrimmage is over like has been the case for games. It's ultimately up to the health department.
The kid told me to come as it will be Family Day as well
Hey haven't been on the football forum for a while glad to see you!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Hey! Ive been here, just reading and staying quiet!!
Happy to see you and #0. I guess I haven’t followed this sub as much since basketball started, but is there a list somewhere of “super seniors” that chose to come back because of COVID19 exceptions? Maybe I just missed the thread, and am pleasantly surprised because I thought everyone had chosen to move on.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » March 16th, 2021, 4:19 am

There's 14 Super Seniors returning:

Those 14 Super Seniors include: CB Terin Adams, OL Demytrick Ali'ifua, DE Jaylin Bannerman, S Shaq Bond, WR Sean Carter, S Cash Gilliam, DE Nick Heninger, RB Devonta'e Henry-Cole, ILB Kevin Meitzenheimer, DT Marcus Moore, WR Jordan Nathan, WR Savon Scarver, TE Carson Terrell and WR Derek Wright.

Full article is here: https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2021/3 ... rnoon.aspx
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post (total 6):
aggies22AgMan21GeoAgslcaggJSHarvey3rdGenAggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 16th, 2021, 8:39 am

I'm really surprised that Nick is coming back this year.
Super grateful for all the super seniors that are returning.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
JSHarvey

stang

Post by stang » March 16th, 2021, 10:58 am

Sl7vk wrote:I'm really surprised that Nick is coming back this year.
I know there’s been a lot of speculation and projection about Nick on this board, but him returning is not a surprise at all for those who actually know him. He’s a great kid who is a very well respected leader on the team.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
slcagg

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 16th, 2021, 11:35 am

Thanks for all the updates of people attending practice. It sure builds excitement for people who cannot make it to the practices, i appreciate it.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
SlumJum

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 16th, 2021, 11:42 am

taniataylor wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 7:05 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 6:44 pm
Any updates on how the first day of spring ball went?
I can only speak for #0. 6 catches, no drops
I did find it odd to see him in that big ol' "0". The first few clips I saw a #16 make some nice grabs but I was thinking to myself. "that doesn't look like Jordan - even from a distance". Then later on I saw a #0 go over the middle and I was like.....yep, that is Jordan.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 16th, 2021, 12:03 pm

stang wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 10:58 am
I know there’s been a lot of speculation and projection about Nick on this board, but him returning is not a surprise at all for those who actually know him. He’s a great kid who is a very well respected leader on the team.
I think before last year he was someone that nearly every fan really liked and he was appreciated for his effort and style of play. His return is surprising for a number of reasons, much of it having to do with what was done behind the scenes, but none more surprising than it goes against what he put out there himself in front of everyone in a post game presser.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Sl7vk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 16th, 2021, 1:02 pm

I see it as a good thing. I would assume that Nick talked to the new Coach Anderson. He probably had a really good feeling about the guy and felt he could play for him. Heninger was always a beast and having his leadership on this team as it transitions to a new coach will be very beneficial.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
sam tingeyAglicious3rdGenAggie

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » March 16th, 2021, 3:02 pm

stang wrote:
I wonder if Noelle Crockett feels the same way
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
USU78

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » March 16th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Players commenting on how fast and detailed the practice was. How it reminded them of practices before GA.....Coach A made specific comments about what he wants to accomplish in 15 practices. There is a plan in place. Goals are being set. Work standards set. This is exactly what I want to hear.

I think this is going to be a hungry team. Hungry for wins. Hungry to prove last year doesn't define them.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 4):
AussieAggieDadFullthegreendalegelfBLUERUFiO

stang

Post by stang » March 16th, 2021, 4:27 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
stang wrote:
I wonder if Noelle Crockett feels the same way
Never heard of her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » March 16th, 2021, 5:32 pm

22- I was really confused yesterday watching USUFootball's Instagram story. They had re-posted another player's story and it was a shot of one of our lockers belonging to Hagen Andersen. Was that an old video? It looked like our current locker room.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 16th, 2021, 7:26 pm

El Sapo wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 4:26 pm
Players commenting on how fast and detailed the practice was. How it reminded them of practices before GA.....Coach A made specific comments about what he wants to accomplish in 15 practices. There is a plan in place. Goals are being set. Work standards set. This is exactly what I want to hear.

I think this is going to be a hungry team. Hungry for wins. Hungry to prove last year doesn't define them.
That is good news to hear. It sure seems are headed in the right direction. I know it is only spring, but man it sure feels so much better than last summer/fall.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 17th, 2021, 9:18 am

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 5:32 pm
22- I was really confused yesterday watching USUFootball's Instagram story. They had re-posted another player's story and it was a shot of one of our lockers belonging to Hagen Andersen. Was that an old video? It looked like our current locker room.
I have ZERO idea? I don't have instagram. I can guarantee you that Hagen Andersen is not a part of the current program. Could you post the link please? I'm intrigued by what you saw.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 17th, 2021, 9:20 am

El Sapo wrote:

Practice is DEFINITELY faster than I've ever seen it run. They only did barely 20 minutes of team ball, which is why I have delayed my depth chart release. I want to get one more good look at who is where before I go public with anything. I'll have something up later today for sure!!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
Roy McAvoyslcaggBLUERUFiOflying_scotsman2.0

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 17th, 2021, 9:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 9:20 am
El Sapo wrote:

Practice is DEFINITELY faster than I've ever seen it run. They only did barely 20 minutes of team ball, which is why I have delayed my depth chart release. I want to get one more good look at who is where before I go public with anything. I'll have something up later today for sure!!
The DL depth chart is the one I'm most intrigued to see. It was hard for me to get a feel exactly for the rotation I was seeing there, but I think I saw some interesting stuff.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 17th, 2021, 9:35 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 9:26 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 9:20 am
El Sapo wrote:

The DL depth chart is the one I'm most intrigued to see. It was hard for me to get a feel exactly for the rotation I was seeing there, but I think I saw some interesting stuff.
Yeah, I need to really eyeball that closer as well.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » March 17th, 2021, 11:44 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 9:18 am
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 5:32 pm
I have ZERO idea? I don't have instagram. I can guarantee you that Hagen Andersen is not a part of the current program. Could you post the link please? I'm intrigued by what you saw.
Okay, that's what I was thinking. Definitely weird to see that the other day. Unfortunately instagram stories will disappear after 24 hours, so I can't screen shot it. If you know who runs the USUfootball instagram they have access to the past stories they've posted if they go to their profile, click on the three bars in the top right corner, then select 'archive'. It believe they posted it on Monday.

ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » March 17th, 2021, 1:27 pm

The starting 1s on defense were the following on Day 1:

Hobbs-Vaghns/ Hale/ J. Hansen/ Joyner
Gilliam/AJV/Rice
Z. Jackson/Bond/Green/Lampkin

2s:
Trupp/Tuiaki/Bredsguard/Bannerman
Maddox/Maile/Meitz
Adams/A. Carter/Tatum/Grayson

3s:
Moore/Peoples/Johnson Hansen/Hola
S. Thompson/Willingham/Moa
Steele/Marion/Harris/Anyanwu

Heninger/Mendenhall/Lee/ were on the sideline nursing injuries.

Obviously things can change like Moore moving up the depth chart, it's only the first day.
These users thanked the author ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN for the post (total 2):
slcaggAussieAggieDad

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 17th, 2021, 1:45 pm

ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 1:27 pm

Gilliam/AJV/Rice

2s:
Maddox/Maile/Meitz

3s:

Obviously things can change like Moore moving up the depth chart, it's only the first day.
Okay, that's actually what I saw & I just figured I'm missing something or it's way out of whack because it's day 1. Here were a few thoughts I had:

- James Hansen starting at DT was very interesting, especially since he was not highly recruited didn't see the field much last year. That would be big for us if he ends up being a legit DT.

- Moore being a 3rd string DE really caught me off guard. He seems like one of the most athletic & biggest DL guys out there. I expected him at DT & to be near the front of depth chart chart.

- Addison Trupp at 2nd string DE was also interesting, he couldn't even get on the field last season.

- Peoples being 3rd on the depth chart was a little surprising to me. The coaching staff seemed high on him & made him a primary target as a recruit.

- Mata Hola moving to DE surprised me, as I felt maybe he was a pretty prototypical LB as a recruit.

- Maddox 2nd string Stryker surprised me. I believe he's a walkon and he doesn't seem very athletic overall.

- It was encouraging to see Hobbs-Vaughns & Joyner was the starting DE's. I think Heninger will start over Joyner, but Hobbs Vaughns looks like he could be dominant next season.

-It'll be really interesting to see this play out & when Lee & Heninger get inserted in.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
slcaggAussieAggieDadROLLEOVERHORDEMANNMWCFAN12

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 17th, 2021, 1:49 pm

ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:

Gilliam/AJV/Rice

2s:
Maddox/Maile/Meitz

3s:

Can i take it as a good sign to see Moore so low? I thought he was really solid last year and thought he might compete for a starting job.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 17th, 2021, 1:53 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 1:49 pm
ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:

Gilliam/AJV/Rice

2s:
Maddox/Maile/Meitz

3s:

Can i take it as a good sign to see Moore so low? I thought he was really solid last year and thought he might compete for a starting job.
The one thing I do know about Moore is last season he did poorly in containing the run and often blew his assignments. If the new staff saw that on film that may be what lead to the drop down the depth chart.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » March 17th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Hey 22, I didn't see Mayberry out there, is he here?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 17th, 2021, 2:02 pm

ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 1:56 pm
Hey 22, I didn't see Mayberry out there, is he here?
He's recovering from surgery.

ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » March 17th, 2021, 2:04 pm

Thanks Roy.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 17th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 1:45 pm
ROLLEOVERHORDEMAN wrote:

Gilliam/AJV/Rice

2s:
Maddox/Maile/Meitz

3s:

Okay, that's actually what I saw & I just figured I'm missing something or it's way out of whack because it's day 1. Here were a few thoughts I had:

- James Hansen starting at DT was very interesting, especially since he was not highly recruited didn't see the field much last year. That would be big for us if he ends up being a legit DT.

- Moore being a 3rd string DE really caught me off guard. He seems like one of the most athletic & biggest DL guys out there. I expected him at DT & to be near the front of depth chart chart.

- Addison Trupp at 2nd string DE was also interesting, he couldn't even get on the field last season.

- Peoples being 3rd on the depth chart was a little surprising to me. The coaching staff seemed high on him & made him a primary target as a recruit.

- Mata Hola moving to DE surprised me, as I felt maybe he was a pretty prototypical LB as a recruit.

- Maddox 2nd string Stryker surprised me. I believe he's a walkon and he doesn't seem very athletic overall.

- It was encouraging to see Hobbs-Vaughns & Joyner was the starting DE's. I think Heninger will start over Joyner, but Hobbs Vaughns looks like he could be dominant next season.

-It'll be really interesting to see this play out & when Lee & Heninger get inserted in.
Good stuff here. Thanks for sharing.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 17th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Could it be that the coaches just want to see different combos of players together right now...like Peoples and Moore side by side or Hobbs-Vaughns & Joyner as the 2 ends and see how they work together?

Also, does anyone see Heninger replace Gilliam at LB on the 1's? or did you guys think he was more effective as a DE? I worry about his lack of speed at LB but I worry about Gilliam's lack of size and speed at LB. I would almost hope for Maile to win that job as the 3rd LB. If I could have back the Junior season version of KM where he weighed about 20-25lbs less and still had speed then that would be a good option for the 3rd LB too.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
AussieAggieDad

Locked Previous topicNext topic