B. Anderson and Maile

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

B. Anderson and Maile

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 27th, 2021, 6:21 am

This may have been brought up in the past, but I didn't see it.

I was listening to all the interviews with Anderson I could find the past couple of days to get to know him. On his interview with DJ and PK in the middle of December he mentioned that he had every intention of trying to retain Frank on staff before this whole thing blew up.

Obviously, based on how things turned out I think it's best he wasn't retained on staff, but I thought it was interesting. I love what I'm hearing and seeing from Anderson and staff thus far. Hopefully it translates to the field.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: B. Anderson and Maile

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 27th, 2021, 11:33 am

Yeah, Maile didn't take a hit for this season at all despite USU being terrible and him supporting a player boycott over very questionable reasons. He got a good job at Boise State and could have stayed at USU. Interesting.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 27th, 2021, 11:36 am

I'm glad he didn't stay.

After reading the report about the phone call and seeing Maile's reaction to not being hired, I don't think keeping him on would have been in the best interest of the program.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 5):
BLUERUFiOAggieArmybluegrousethegreendalegelfhipsterdoofus21

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 27th, 2021, 11:39 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:36 am
I'm glad he didn't stay.

After reading the report about the phone call and seeing Maile's reaction to not being hired, I don't think keeping him on would have been in the best interest of the program.
I'm very happy he didn't stay. I was never a big fan of him as a coordinator and think it would have been a huge risk making him the permanent HC. I'm surprised Boise State made him their Associate HC.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
bluegrousehipsterdoofus21

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 27th, 2021, 3:43 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:39 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 11:36 am
I'm glad he didn't stay.

I'm very happy he didn't stay. I was never a big fan of him as a coordinator and think it would have been a huge risk making him the permanent HC. I'm surprised Boise State made him their Associate HC.
I'm extremely happy Boise made him their Associate HC. Talk about killing two birds with one stone....
Last edited by Sl7vk on January 27th, 2021, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiJSHarvey

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 27th, 2021, 6:38 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:I'm glad he didn't stay.

I’m skeptical that he was one main reason the wheels fell off this year... seems like he could have never been happy with Gary 2.0 and was sulking the last 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 27th, 2021, 7:35 pm

As long as he's not tasked with staving off a players' mutiny or scheming to stop Air Force's pitch man he should be fine. Good luck to him.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 28th, 2021, 10:02 am

Good luck to Frank as long as it's not related to or involved with preparing for, playing against or recruiting against Utah State University. I wonder just how long Frank will be in Boise.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiO3rdGenAggie

AggieFirefighter

Post by AggieFirefighter » January 28th, 2021, 7:13 pm

I won't miss him. Boise will need a fall guy when their season doesn't go well. That person will be Frank.. Just my opinion.. I'd take that kind if pay any day of the week but I'm glad he's not an Aggie

These users thanked the author AggieFirefighter for the post:
Sl7vk

"Primum Non Nocere" - "First, Do No Harm"

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 28th, 2021, 7:33 pm

It is good that Maile is not staying. With the way things went down, the program needs a new start.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 28th, 2021, 10:27 pm

AggieFirefighter wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 7:13 pm
I won't miss him. Boise will need a fall guy when their season doesn't go well. That person will be Frank.. Just my opinion.. I'd take that kind if pay any day of the week but I'm glad he's not an Aggie

I completely agree. It is a good opportunity for him, but he'll be the first to go if things turn South.

frogman812

Post by frogman812 » January 29th, 2021, 8:39 am

I love the Anderson hire and expect great things. I'm also sure Maile couldn't assemble a staff near the caliber of Anderson's, even in his dreams.
These users thanked the author frogman812 for the post:
JSHarvey

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » January 29th, 2021, 8:49 am

I'm not a fan of the general message of this thread. Yes our relationship with Maile is done. But he has been an Aggie through and through. He is a good man. The players love him and with good reason. I am excited for Anderson but I think we need to chill on trashing Maile. The man has spent like 9 seasons coaching and 4 seasons playing for the Aggies. He has shown loyalty to the program. Yes he ended that relationship poorly. But that may have been due to bad information. It also is fair to say that most people that have been waiting for a promotion would response similarly when the company goes and gets an outsider for that position. Frank is a good man. Frank has always been an Aggie. Let's respect that.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 7):
LarryTheAggiebrossp24ElkaggieAggie19BLUERUFiOapohipsterdoofus21

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 29th, 2021, 9:15 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 8:49 am
I'm not a fan of the general message of this thread. Yes our relationship with Maile is done. But he has been an Aggie through and through. He is a good man. The players love him and with good reason. I am excited for Anderson but I think we need to chill on trashing Maile. The man has spent like 9 seasons coaching and 4 seasons playing for the Aggies. He has shown loyalty to the program. Yes he ended that relationship poorly. But that may have been due to bad information. It also is fair to say that most people that have been waiting for a promotion would response similarly when the company goes and gets an outsider for that position. Frank is a good man. Frank has always been an Aggie. Let's respect that.
I agree. The point of my original post was to note that Anderson was planning to retain Frank on staff, which I think was a nice gesture. I was more trying to say how I'm liking the Anderson hire more and more as I listen to the guy. I appreciate Frank, and I don't blame him for leaving. I think the way he went out was questionable, for sure, but it's time to move on and hopefully there aren't too many hard feelings between him and the school.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggiethegreendalegelf

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 29th, 2021, 12:42 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
Thanks for this. I agree with you on this. There is more to story than any of us will ever know but I also don’t like the blame and hate that has been thrown his way from many on this board. I know that during the hiring process he had a pretty good idea that he wasn’t going to be hired but was trying to get the program headed in the right direction for the new coach. This is why many of the changes on the field and off were made. I know the man well and he is an amazing person. I would love to have my kids play for him and I wish him nothing but the best. He still loves USU and I have seen his kids around still decked out in USU gear. I know I am in the minority but there is blame to be shared everywhere including Frank the AD and elsewhere.
Last edited by Elkaggie on February 6th, 2021, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

2004AG

B. Anderson and Maile

Post by 2004AG » January 29th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Thanks for this. I agree with you on this. There is more to story than any of us will ever know but I also don’t like the blame and hate that has been thrown his way from many on this board. I know that during the hiring process he had a pretty good idea that he wasn’t going to be hired but was trying to get the program headed in the right direction for the new coach. This is why many of the changes on the field and off were made. I know the man well and he is an amazing person. I would love to have my kids play for him and I wish him nothing but the best. He still loves USU and I have seen his kids around still decked out in USU gear. I know I am in the majority but there is blame to be shared everywhere including Frank the AD and elsewhere.

Fair or not, he’s got to wear the Colorado State game a little. It happened on his watch. By all accounts he’s a great Aggie so I wish him nothing but the best and I bet he would like a redo, as would Hartwell and Cockett. I hope fences have been mended and everybody can move on.

Last edited by 2004AG on January 29th, 2021, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 29th, 2021, 1:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Thanks for this. I agree with you on this. There is more to story than any of us will ever know but I also don’t like the blame and hate that has been thrown his way from many on this board. I know that during the hiring process he had a pretty good idea that he wasn’t going to be hired but was trying to get the program headed in the right direction for the new coach. This is why many of the changes on the field and off were made. I know the man well and he is an amazing person. I would love to have my kids play for him and I wish him nothing but the best. He still loves USU and I have seen his kids around still decked out in USU gear. I know I am in the majority but there is blame to be shared everywhere including Frank the AD and elsewhere.

The problem is Frank’s “transgression”, I.E cancelling of the Colorado State game was so public and consequential. Fair or not, he’s got to wear that a little. By all accounts he’s a great Aggie so I wish him nothing but the best and I bet he would like a redo, as would Hartwell and Cockett. I hope fences have been mended and everybody can move on.

Except for he literally did not do that. Use the correct words for what you’re trying to say.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 29th, 2021, 2:37 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

The problem is Frank’s “transgression”, I.E cancelling of the Colorado State game was so public and consequential. Fair or not, he’s got to wear that a little. By all accounts he’s a great Aggie so I wish him nothing but the best and I bet he would like a redo, as would Hartwell and Cockett. I hope fences have been mended and everybody can move on.

Except for he literally did not do that. Use the correct words for what you’re trying to say.

The cancellation happened under his watch and as per the investigation, he said he was “at peace with the cancellation” and told Hartwell he wouldn’t step in and “try” to get the players to play.

I didn’t say he cancelled the game, more that he kind of “let it happen” and didn’t try to stop it from happening. That’s why the whole thing sticks to him on some level.

Again, I agree with elk Aggie. Time to move on and I’m good with letting water pass under the bridge and hope he does well at Boise and comes back to Utah State in some capacity. But nobody is blameless in this whole fiasco.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 29th, 2021, 2:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

The cancellation happened under his watch and as per the investigation, he said he was “at peace with the cancellation” and told Hartwell he wouldn’t step in and “try” to get the players to play.

I didn’t say he cancelled the game, more that he kind of “let it happen” and didn’t try to stop it from happening. That’s why the whole thing sticks to him on some level.

Again, I agree with elk Aggie. Time to move on and I’m good with letting water pass under the bridge and hope he does well at Boise and comes back to Utah State in some capacity. But nobody is blameless in this whole fiasco.

2004AG wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

Am I missing somewhere in the thread where you said he kinda let it happened? The comment I’m reading that is literally quoted here, says exactly what you’re saying you didn’t say?

“Frank’s “transgression”, I.E. cancelling of the Colorado state game...”
An apostrophe after Frank makes that “transgression” an act of his.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 29th, 2021, 3:02 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

2004AG wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

Am I missing somewhere in the thread where you said he kinda let it happened? The comment I’m reading that is literally quoted here, says exactly what you’re saying you didn’t say?

If it makes you feel better. Feel free to disregard the original post and instead focus on the second where I clarified the point I was trying to make. You’re belaboring an unnecessary point that I clarified. If I could go back in time and remove that apostrophe, I would.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

B. Anderson and Maile

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 29th, 2021, 3:11 pm

2004AG wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

2004AG wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

If it makes you feel better. Feel free to disregard the original post and instead focus on the second where I clarified the point I was trying to make. You’re belaboring an unnecessary point that I clarified. If I could go back in time and remove that apostrophe, I would.

Sure, but you know exactly where I’m coming from and why. People on this board take rumor or typo or an incorrect use of a word, and it becomes internet fact.

You very literally said that Frank did something that he factually did not do. If you hadn’t said someone did something that they didn’t, I would have ever responded.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 29th, 2021, 5:07 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
Normally this would be my take as well.

HOWEVER, the Report said he made it very difficult for Hartwell to reach him when the player boycott was going down, and that he did not return Hartwell's phone calls.

It was clear he made no real attempt to dissuade the players from the idea of a boycott.

And he stated he was "at peace" with the players boycotting when he *finally did speak* with Hartwell.

And in that same conversation he equated what the players were doing as support for HIM, not as a general protest against racism, or other problems, at the University.

My conclusion after reading the Report was that the entire mess was just about HIM personally, everything else was just cover/talking points to rile up the players and bad mouth USU in the press.

All of that makes me very very upset with him. Does it mean he fomented the "rebellion" personally, or does it mean he just did nothing to stop it, or something in between? No idea. But regardless, he caused significant damage as he was leaving. It was a crappy ending to his USU career, a very bad way to cap off one's career at their almamater.

Yes he played for the USU, and he gave USU a lot of years of his coaching career (and USU gave him a very good living). When all is said and done I'm glad he's gone and I'm very surprised (but also very relieved as it moots some of the basis for any potential lawsuit damages) Boise hired him.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
Sl7vk

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 29th, 2021, 6:29 pm

This is my opinion:

I think the reason Frank may have been difficult to get a hold of was because he was upset that he still hadn’t heard from Hartwell that he wasn’t getting the HC job. He had had been told by others outside of the program that BA was being hired and he was hurt a little that he found out from someone other than Hartwell. He was maybe trying to give Hartwell some of his own medicine. Then he was told what happened with the players meeting (that he didn’t even know was happening) and so I think he was trying to process everything. I don’t blame him for being upset I would have been especially considering it had been days since he had heard about BA being offered/hired.

I have mentioned this many times and it doesn’t seem to get much traction (it’s probably because it’s water under the bridge) but I honestly believe that if Hartwell would have told Frank immediately after he offered BA that NONE of this entire mess would have happened, we would have played the last game and Frank could have went away quietly like he planned.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 29th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Elkaggie wrote:This is my opinion:

I think the reason Frank may have been difficult to get a hold of was because he was upset that he still hadn’t heard from Hartwell that he wasn’t getting the HC job. He had had been told by others outside of the program that BA was being hired and he was hurt a little that he found out from someone other than Hartwell. He was maybe trying to give Hartwell some of his own medicine. Then he was told what happened with the players meeting (that he didn’t even know was happening) and so I think he was trying to process everything. I don’t blame him for being upset I would have been especially considering it had been days since he had heard about BA being offered/hired.

I have mentioned this many times and it doesn’t seem to get much traction (it’s probably because it’s water under the bridge) but I honestly believe that if Hartwell would have told Frank immediately after he offered BA that NONE of this entire mess would have happened, we would have played the last game and Frank could have went away quietly like he planned.
Also it really can’t be overstated- if I was told by people I trust, that in a meeting, my bosses had said the things that they were accused of saying. I would be pretty mad.

These users thanked the author BleedAggieBlue0 for the post:
Elkaggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 30th, 2021, 2:39 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
What does being an "Aggie through and through" mean to you? Most interim coaches do not act the way he did. He was a long shot to get the job.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic