INNOCENT!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 11420
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 704 times
Been thanked: 478 times

INNOCENT!

Post by ViAggie » January 15th, 2021, 12:22 pm

These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 4):
CastIronAggie3rdGenAggieaggies22JSHarvey


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

rAggie
Posts: 551
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 194 times
Contact:

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by rAggie » January 15th, 2021, 12:24 pm

No one should be surprised by this. Frank Maile owes some people an apology. As for the football players...I don't even know how to feel.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 6):
CastIronAggieViAggie3rdGenAggieaggieguy13AgMacutahcountyaggie



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6758
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 570 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 15th, 2021, 12:43 pm

The whole thing was ridiculous. I hope the players involved with instigating this will learn to grow up and talk to the people they're offended by before hiring a lawyer to release a statement to the media.

Also, I hope somebody with Twitter will send this to that moron Gordon Monson. He was going crazy on the radio when this came out about how unacceptable it was for Cockett to say racist things.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkJSHarvey


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7340
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by GeoAg » January 15th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Good news. I was afraid we would lose her regardless. Glad it hasn't worked out that way
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOJSHarvey


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Madmartigan
Posts: 2915
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by Madmartigan » January 15th, 2021, 12:48 pm

I wasn't there, so I'm refraining from name calling. But really, if all she said was "Logan is an interesting place" (which has been said here ad nauseam) and implied it's hard to recruit diversity here given the mostly white and LDS nature of the valley (also said ad nauseam).. then.. man... what the hell.

I guess a very emotional meeting given how the season and year went and how much the players love Maile.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
USU78



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6758
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 570 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 15th, 2021, 12:56 pm

I forgot about the fact that they cancelled a game over this. :roll:


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7488
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by 2004AG » January 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm

GeoAg wrote:Good news. I was afraid we would lose her regardless. Glad it hasn't worked out that way
You were very critical of her without even knowing what was said.

It was pretty obvious this was a misunderstanding from day 1.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
ShowMeAggieAgMac



AggieUprising50
Posts: 798
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm

I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfvegasaggie



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by Sl7vk » January 15th, 2021, 1:15 pm

I still can't believe the mountain that was made out of this.
We cancelled a game, prevented Senior's from CSU from playing in their finale.
There are some actors in this that I never want to see on our sidelines again. Some are formally gone, some still are not.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
JSHarvey



SasquatchAggie
Posts: 166
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by SasquatchAggie » January 15th, 2021, 1:16 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Frank should be ashamed for saying, "What has he done?" Glad he is gone.
These users thanked the author SasquatchAggie for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkAgMac



bigskysbro
Posts: 193
Joined: January 7th, 2011, 9:16 pm
Location: Orting WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by bigskysbro » January 15th, 2021, 1:21 pm

I just fired off an email to whoever “Alex posing as a journalist” is at the SLFib. His statement in his article states “ the board started the probe after Maile called for one”. If memory serves correct the board had initiated a review before Maile ever gave a statement on the matter. Am I remembering correctly?
These users thanked the author bigskysbro for the post:
JSHarvey



AggieUprising50
Posts: 798
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 15th, 2021, 1:23 pm

SasquatchAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:16 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Frank should be ashamed for saying, "What has he done?" Glad he is gone.
All it showed was that Frank didn’t know much about Coach A’s resume.

And you’re saying that you wouldn’t want him back in our program for that?

Both comments sound petty. Move on.



bluegrouse
Posts: 3360
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by bluegrouse » January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion



bluegrouse
Posts: 3360
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by bluegrouse » January 15th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Very glad the Trustees and the university didn’t cave to the mob. Kudos to them.



bpd
Posts: 1151
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by bpd » January 15th, 2021, 1:31 pm

A LDS coach being discriminated at Utah State was always hilarious.

Bigger picture item: Cockett is right, Utah State needs more diversity.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkJSHarvey



AggieUprising50
Posts: 798
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion
Because the article states that she thought the purpose of the call was to check in on the well being of the players (while they wanted to use it as a pitch for Maile).

In that context, why else would she ramble on about how uninclusive Cashe Valley is and so on knowing that there are a lot of out of state athletes on the call?
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
3rdGenAggie



Aggie19
Posts: 914
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 635 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by Aggie19 » January 15th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Bigoted against Polynesians - married a Polynesian??? Seems weird. Did I miss something?

Good study in poor communication on a lot of levels.


Go Aggies!

User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by Sl7vk » January 15th, 2021, 1:45 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion
Because the article states that she thought the purpose of the call was to check in on the well being of the players (while they wanted to use it as a pitch for Maile).

In that context, why else would she ramble on about how uninclusive Cashe Valley is and so on knowing that there are a lot of out of state athletes on the call?
You say that none of the players or Frank should be ashamed.
After reading the report I disagree.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 4):
ShowMeAggieAggieArmyAgMacJSHarvey



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 15th, 2021, 1:48 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:45 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion
Because the article states that she thought the purpose of the call was to check in on the well being of the players (while they wanted to use it as a pitch for Maile).

In that context, why else would she ramble on about how uninclusive Cashe Valley is and so on knowing that there are a lot of out of state athletes on the call?
You say that none of the players or Frank should be ashamed.
After reading the report I disagree.
same.
I feel the players were (generally) being whiny beeotches. they had their mind made up about Frank, then when given any kind of opening, they ran with it and tried to inflict as much damage as possible in order to advance their cause. They should be ashamed, IMO....
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post (total 3):
AggieArmyAgMacJSHarvey



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by Sl7vk » January 15th, 2021, 1:49 pm

On Friday morning, Jerry Bovee contacted Hartwell and said, “[w]e have
a problem.” He told him that the players were not going to play the final game.
Hartwell believed the players were upset about Coach Maile not being hired as
head coach. Hartwell contacted Coach Maile (after some difficulty) and asked
Coach Maile if he could get the players to reconsider. Coach Maile told Hartwell
he could not stop them, and that he “was at peace with what they have done.”
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
JSHarvey



coolag
Posts: 1388
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by coolag » January 15th, 2021, 1:50 pm

LOL @ Maile and the players. This was about one thing and one thing only. Maile and some players didn't get their way.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 3):
AgMacJSHarveySlim80



AggieUprising50
Posts: 798
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:45 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion
Because the article states that she thought the purpose of the call was to check in on the well being of the players (while they wanted to use it as a pitch for Maile).

In that context, why else would she ramble on about how uninclusive Cashe Valley is and so on knowing that there are a lot of out of state athletes on the call?
You say that none of the players or Frank should be ashamed.
After reading the report I disagree.
same.
I feel the players were (generally) being whiny beeotches. they had their mind made up about Frank, then when given any kind of opening, they ran with it and tried to inflict as much damage as possible in order to advance their cause. They should be ashamed, IMO....
Well the people who did the investigation disagree with you. They specifically said they could see why the players came to the conclusion they did after the call.



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 15th, 2021, 1:57 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:45 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion
Because the article states that she thought the purpose of the call was to check in on the well being of the players (while they wanted to use it as a pitch for Maile).

In that context, why else would she ramble on about how uninclusive Cashe Valley is and so on knowing that there are a lot of out of state athletes on the call?
You say that none of the players or Frank should be ashamed.
After reading the report I disagree.
same.
I feel the players were (generally) being whiny beeotches. they had their mind made up about Frank, then when given any kind of opening, they ran with it and tried to inflict as much damage as possible in order to advance their cause. They should be ashamed, IMO....
Well the people who did the investigation disagree with you. They specifically said they could see why the players came to the conclusion they did after the call.
i'm sure they did. because that's the politically correct way to say this. no way even I call those players out as whiny beeotches in a public, formal forum. you'd never get another player to come play for you, and if you did, you'd never gain their trust. of course you have to be diplomatic and give everyone a slap on the wrist here, even though it seems even clearer to me now than before what was really going on...
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
JSHarvey



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6758
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 570 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 15th, 2021, 1:58 pm

I just had a superlong summary of the 16 page report, but hit a wrong button and it deleted my tab. :(

Here are the most interesting points during the first half of the report, in my opinion:

1. Frank's lawyer never responded to requests sent by the people investigating.

2. Frank appears to be the only applicant who was mad about not being given the job. Sounds like he didn't handle it particularly well. He said he wouldn't ask the players to not boycott the game and "was at peace with what they had done"

3. The university has a program called Real Response used for athletes to report discrimination, etc. There has not been a report from a football team member through 2019 or 2020.

4. Cockett clearly was trying to push the diversity aspect of things. SHe was concerned that Franks "three pillars" recruiting strategy would lack inclusion. The report says the following: "she acknowledged that she was at “cross purposes” with the athletes because “I could not get them to help me help them,” and the athletes only wanted to talk about Coach Maile.

Somewhat ironically, it looks like her positive desire to push inclusion is what caused people to feel she was being discriminatory.

5. In the athlete interviews, people used the term "culture" to mean many different things. This was suggested here. Some meant Utah, others LDS, others Polynesian, etc.

6. Several athletes say they remember her using the word "Poly". She adamantly denies it saying it is slang and she doesn't use that word and has a Hawaiian husband.

7. Others say they do remember hearing her express concerns that Frank's religious beliefs could make out of state recruits feel uncomfortable.



My take away from all this is that it was a problem because Cockett thought she was in a meeting to discuss the difficult year and she had a desire to connect with the athletes, unrelated to the coaching search. The players were there only to talk about Maile, so she said things she wouldn't have in a hiring situation because she wasn't in a hiring situation. They heard things she didn't say because she was talking about inclusion and Cache Valley being less diverse in general (with the goal of connecting with the non-Utah team members, etc) while they were only thinking about Coach Maile.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 9):
CastIronAggieShowMeAggievegasaggieaggies22CodingAggieBlueAgMacUSU78HarcherJSHarvey


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AggieUprising50
Posts: 798
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 15th, 2021, 2:06 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:57 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:45 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion
Because the article states that she thought the purpose of the call was to check in on the well being of the players (while they wanted to use it as a pitch for Maile).

In that context, why else would she ramble on about how uninclusive Cashe Valley is and so on knowing that there are a lot of out of state athletes on the call?
You say that none of the players or Frank should be ashamed.
After reading the report I disagree.
same.
I feel the players were (generally) being whiny beeotches. they had their mind made up about Frank, then when given any kind of opening, they ran with it and tried to inflict as much damage as possible in order to advance their cause. They should be ashamed, IMO....
Well the people who did the investigation disagree with you. They specifically said they could see why the players came to the conclusion they did after the call.
i'm sure they did. because that's the politically correct way to say this. no way even I call those players out as whiny beeotches in a public, formal forum. you'd never get another player to come play for you, and if you did, you'd never gain their trust. of course you have to be diplomatic and give everyone a slap on the wrist here, even though it seems even clearer to me now than before what was really going on...
The fact that you believe the players conspired against the program and lied about their university President because their coach wasn’t hired instead of all of this being a genuine misunderstanding is beyond me.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6758
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 570 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 15th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:49 pm
On Friday morning, Jerry Bovee contacted Hartwell and said, “[w]e have
a problem.” He told him that the players were not going to play the final game.
Hartwell believed the players were upset about Coach Maile not being hired as
head coach. Hartwell contacted Coach Maile (after some difficulty) and asked
Coach Maile if he could get the players to reconsider. Coach Maile told Hartwell
he could not stop them, and that he “was at peace with what they have done.”
Yeah, this was a pretty damning paragraph, in my opinion. He was mad he didn't get the job and was glad the athletes were boycotting the game in his name.

I don't blame the athletes all that much. They should have spoken to Hartwell and Cockett, rather than called the media, but I get how there was a misunderstanding. The report doesn't help Frank come out of this looking any better, though.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
AgMacJSHarvey


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by Sl7vk » January 15th, 2021, 2:09 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:06 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:57 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:45 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion
Because the article states that she thought the purpose of the call was to check in on the well being of the players (while they wanted to use it as a pitch for Maile).

In that context, why else would she ramble on about how uninclusive Cashe Valley is and so on knowing that there are a lot of out of state athletes on the call?
You say that none of the players or Frank should be ashamed.
After reading the report I disagree.
same.
I feel the players were (generally) being whiny beeotches. they had their mind made up about Frank, then when given any kind of opening, they ran with it and tried to inflict as much damage as possible in order to advance their cause. They should be ashamed, IMO....
Well the people who did the investigation disagree with you. They specifically said they could see why the players came to the conclusion they did after the call.
i'm sure they did. because that's the politically correct way to say this. no way even I call those players out as whiny beeotches in a public, formal forum. you'd never get another player to come play for you, and if you did, you'd never gain their trust. of course you have to be diplomatic and give everyone a slap on the wrist here, even though it seems even clearer to me now than before what was really going on...
The fact that you believe the players conspired against the program and lied about their university President because their coach wasn’t hired instead of all of this being a genuine misunderstanding is beyond me.
I'd love to hear what makes you think that Frank comes out well in this report?



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 15th, 2021, 2:15 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:06 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:57 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:45 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:37 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:11 pm
I think this exert from the article describes it best:

“ During the Zoom meeting Pres. Cockett described Logan and Cache Valley as unique communities that can sometimes seem to not be inclusive to outsiders. Because the athletes were focused on expressing their support for Coach Maile, we conclude that it is likely they understandably interpreted Pres. Cockett’s comments as a criticism of or commentary on Coach Maile, which triggered a number of athletes to defend Coach Maile as being inclusive and supportive of athletes regardless of their religious background.”

To me it sounds like President Crockett was trying to pander to some of the players instead of understanding what they were trying to say and it backfired.

None of the players or Frank should be ashamed or receive any blame for their actions. There obviously was a miscommunication and the article itself states that they “understandably interpreted....” (the wrong way).

With that said, I’m happy she’s not getting fired for this. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time and I’m glad we can all move on with our lives.

Here’s to a successful 2021 season! :utah: :state:
Not really sure how you reached that conclusion
Because the article states that she thought the purpose of the call was to check in on the well being of the players (while they wanted to use it as a pitch for Maile).

In that context, why else would she ramble on about how uninclusive Cashe Valley is and so on knowing that there are a lot of out of state athletes on the call?
You say that none of the players or Frank should be ashamed.
After reading the report I disagree.
same.
I feel the players were (generally) being whiny beeotches. they had their mind made up about Frank, then when given any kind of opening, they ran with it and tried to inflict as much damage as possible in order to advance their cause. They should be ashamed, IMO....
Well the people who did the investigation disagree with you. They specifically said they could see why the players came to the conclusion they did after the call.
i'm sure they did. because that's the politically correct way to say this. no way even I call those players out as whiny beeotches in a public, formal forum. you'd never get another player to come play for you, and if you did, you'd never gain their trust. of course you have to be diplomatic and give everyone a slap on the wrist here, even though it seems even clearer to me now than before what was really going on...
The fact that you believe the players conspired against the program and lied about their university President because their coach wasn’t hired instead of all of this being a genuine misunderstanding is beyond me.
i get the misunderstanding part (the "opening" i referenced above). but check your target before you blow sh!t up. this all would've been a big nothingburger if they had asked for clarification on the zoom call, or even the day after. or the day after that. or even Friday, for Pete's sake. but they stewed and plotted instead. that's where i think the blame lies. and to absolve them of any blame in this does them and the program a disservice. acknowledge it (internally is ok), pledge to do better, and move on...
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
JSHarvey



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7488
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by 2004AG » January 15th, 2021, 2:17 pm

I think this makes Frank look really bad. He handled this poorly and Hartwell and Cockett made the right decision.

(I know that continues to make me a piece of sh*t MWCFAN12, and that you feel sorry for anybody that has to be around me)
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 5):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiSl7vkAgMacUSU78JSHarvey



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4429
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 15th, 2021, 2:20 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:17 pm
I think this makes Frank look really bad. He handled this poorly and Hartwell and Cockett made the right decision.

(I know that continues to make me a piece of sh*t MWCFAN12, and that you feel sorry for anybody that has to be around me)
Yeah it was an absolute embarrassment. A complete sham that the players refused to play a game over this and even worse that Maile supported it. I wished him luck in the other thread, but him being on Boise's coaching staff gives me another reason to hope to hell we beat them.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
2004AGJSHarveySlim80



MWCFAN12
Posts: 962
Joined: January 1st, 2011, 2:10 am
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by MWCFAN12 » January 15th, 2021, 2:48 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:17 pm
I think this makes Frank look really bad. He handled this poorly and Hartwell and Cockett made the right decision.

(I know that continues to make me a piece of sh*t MWCFAN12, and that you feel sorry for anybody that has to be around me)
I said that because you were jumping to a conclusion with a issue you knew nothing about. You had zero facts. And very willing to destroy a guy publicly without any clue what happen.

I stand by my statement. And you proved my point with this post.



coolag
Posts: 1388
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by coolag » January 15th, 2021, 2:59 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:48 pm
2004AG wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:17 pm
I think this makes Frank look really bad. He handled this poorly and Hartwell and Cockett made the right decision.

(I know that continues to make me a piece of sh*t MWCFAN12, and that you feel sorry for anybody that has to be around me)
I said that because you were jumping to a conclusion with a issue you knew nothing about. You had zero facts. And very willing to destroy a guy publicly without any clue what happen.

I stand by my statement. And you proved my point with this post.
And he was right. Frank is a douche.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
JSHarvey



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7488
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by 2004AG » January 15th, 2021, 3:01 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:48 pm
2004AG wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:17 pm
I think this makes Frank look really bad. He handled this poorly and Hartwell and Cockett made the right decision.

(I know that continues to make me a piece of sh*t MWCFAN12, and that you feel sorry for anybody that has to be around me)
I said that because you were jumping to a conclusion with a issue you knew nothing about. You had zero facts. And very willing to destroy a guy publicly without any clue what happen.

I stand by statement. And you proved my point with this post.
Ironically the comments in this thread by other posters are a lot worse than anything I've ever said. I simply said his actions didn't reflect well on him and was called a piece of sh*t for it. Its fine. I'm not really worried what an anonymous internet tough guy thinks of me.

Likewise, as an anonymous internet poster myself, I don't have any power, nor would I want that power even if I could to "destroy a guy publicly". So, no, I wasn't willing to destroy Frank publicly, and I clearly didn't. Frank probably is a great guy and a great Aggie, but I also stand by that he has handled this whole situation very poorly. You're right though, that is just MY OPINION. A message board is a place where opinions are shared. If you don't like Aggie fan's opinions, then this might not be the place for you. If only cold hard, 100% verifiable facts are allowed, then this place wouldn't exist. And, in the end, my suspicions and opinions back then on how Frank handled the situation, have been confirmed. He screwed it up. I don't know Frank, but he might like a "do over", if given another chance. But maybe not..... :noidea:
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
JSHarvey



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7340
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by GeoAg » January 15th, 2021, 3:12 pm

As I read the report, I see a huge failure by Hartwell to share that he knew the meeting was about Frank with Noelle. She went in expecting a different conversation and that contributed in large part to this misunderstanding. I didn't see anywhere that he shared with her that this was about Frank and not about more general concerns as Noelle perceived. He does state that he knew what is was about. had she been prepared with that context going in, instead of finding out during the meeting, all of this probably would have gone down differently.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
JSHarvey


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Aggie84025
Posts: 3061
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: INNOCENT!

Post by Aggie84025 » January 15th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 1:49 pm
On Friday morning, Jerry Bovee contacted Hartwell and said, “[w]e have
a problem.” He told him that the players were not going to play the final game.
Hartwell believed the players were upset about Coach Maile not being hired as
head coach. Hartwell contacted Coach Maile (after some difficulty) and asked
Coach Maile if he could get the players to reconsider. Coach Maile told Hartwell
he could not stop them, and that he “was at peace with what they have done.”
THis statement really made an impression on me. First, Frank obviously knew about the players decision and then made it difficult for Hartwell to get a hold of him when he is the acting head coach. 2nd he didn't even try to bring the players together to convince them that playing the game was the right thing to do. It is clear Hartwell made the right choice in not hiring Frank and instead hiring BA. His other comment about what has BA done just shows how out of tune he really is. BA's resume is 10 times stronger than Maile's and he was actually a successful head coach. Hearing what Maile's pitch was as a head coach was really narrow minded in today's college football. I am so happy with the direction that BA is taking the program so far, it is just really refreshing. This whole situation is really unfortunate, but its nice to move on. The problem with these situations is even though she was cleared of wrong doing the court of public opinion and the media will still portray her and hartwell in a negative light.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
bluegrouseSl7vkJSHarvey



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic