Elijah Shelton in the Portal

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10706
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6639 times
Been thanked: 4092 times
Contact:

Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by aggies22 » January 13th, 2021, 9:30 am

And the hits just keep coming.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5712
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 478 times
Been thanked: 958 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 13th, 2021, 9:35 am

I’ve got to imagine seeing the staff brining in Patrick Joyner & Byron Vaughns was a significant factor here. Both of those guys play a similar position to Shelton.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on January 13th, 2021, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 775
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 590 times
Been thanked: 202 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by thegreendalegelf » January 13th, 2021, 9:38 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 9:35 am
I’ve got to imagine seeing the staff brining in Patrick Joyner & Byron Vaughns was a significant factor here. Both of those guys player a similar position to Shelton.
Yup I figure that he feels "recruited over" and isn't fond of that.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10706
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6639 times
Been thanked: 4092 times
Contact:

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by aggies22 » January 13th, 2021, 9:39 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 9:38 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 9:35 am
I’ve got to imagine seeing the staff brining in Patrick Joyner & Byron Vaughns was a significant factor here. Both of those guys player a similar position to Shelton.
Yup I figure that he feels "recruited over" and isn't fond of that.
I'll have to agree. Just to let you know, I've reached out to who we were talking about earlier. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
thegreendalegelf



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1617
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 13th, 2021, 9:46 am

Does moving to the 4-2-5 defense also play into LB’s leaving?



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2521
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by newhouse9 » January 13th, 2021, 9:52 am

Interesting how many guys just don't want to compete.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
Aggie19



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5948
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 13th, 2021, 10:45 am

I do feel better about bringing in Vaughns and Joyner but losing Shelton than I would about not getting those two and keeping Shelton but the optimal thing would be to have Shelton available as a backup.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5948
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 13th, 2021, 10:48 am

newhouse9 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 9:52 am
Interesting how many guys just don't want to compete.
And I'll give quarterbacks a pass there cause of the nature of their lack of opportunity to prove themselves in a game if they don't have a fair shot in practice, but linebackers that are backups still get opportunities in games being rotated in sometimes to earn more time.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5563
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 679 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Aglicious » January 13th, 2021, 10:48 am

Good luck to Elijah. We have to get better at LB though to have any shot of competing.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5948
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 13th, 2021, 10:53 am

Speaking of which, is Kina Maile leaving too cause of the incident with his uncle, or staying in spite of it?



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1351
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 469 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Sl7vk » January 13th, 2021, 10:59 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:53 am
Speaking of which, is Kina Maile leaving too cause of the incident with his uncle, or staying in spite of it?
He's delayed his signing until February, which says to me that he's shopping around for a better offer.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2921
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 334 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Madmartigan » January 13th, 2021, 11:00 am

Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:59 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:53 am
Speaking of which, is Kina Maile leaving too cause of the incident with his uncle, or staying in spite of it?
He's delayed his signing until February, which says to me that he's shopping around for a better offer.
Where his uncle ends up as a coach could play into this.



splintorb
Posts: 320
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by splintorb » January 13th, 2021, 11:00 am

Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:59 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:53 am
Speaking of which, is Kina Maile leaving too cause of the incident with his uncle, or staying in spite of it?
He's delayed his signing until February, which says to me that he's shopping around for a better offer.
I believe he is talking about the Maile already on the team?



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1351
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 469 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Sl7vk » January 13th, 2021, 11:01 am

splintorb wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:00 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:59 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:53 am
Speaking of which, is Kina Maile leaving too cause of the incident with his uncle, or staying in spite of it?
He's delayed his signing until February, which says to me that he's shopping around for a better offer.
I believe he is talking about the Maile already on the team?
Oops, sorry. I need to do a better job of keeping my Maile's straight.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
splintorb



AggieUprising50
Posts: 798
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am

What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?



Aggie19
Posts: 914
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 635 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Aggie19 » January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I don't think he's related to the Maile's 🙂


Go Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10706
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6639 times
Been thanked: 4092 times
Contact:

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by aggies22 » January 13th, 2021, 11:03 am

Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:59 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:53 am
Speaking of which, is Kina Maile leaving too cause of the incident with his uncle, or staying in spite of it?
He's delayed his signing until February, which says to me that he's shopping around for a better offer.
I talked to BO Maile on Monday. He is still signing with Utah State in February.

Kina is a freshman walk-on linebacker.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10706
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6639 times
Been thanked: 4092 times
Contact:

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by aggies22 » January 13th, 2021, 11:06 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I JUST learned yesterday that Keegan was the ONLY Utah State player to "opt out" of the 2020 season. I spoke with a defensive coach in late October about Keegan and the coach had never heard of him. I have no idea if he is returning for the 2021 season.



Aggie19
Posts: 914
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 635 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Aggie19 » January 13th, 2021, 11:13 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:06 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I JUST learned yesterday that Keegan was the ONLY Utah State player to "opt out" of the 2020 season. I spoke with a defensive coach in late October about Keegan and the coach had never heard of him. I have no idea if he is returning for the 2021 season.
I remember you saying this and it still just blows my mind, how is this even possible? I think things were much worse than most of us will ever know.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22


Go Aggies!

Yossarian
Posts: 4559
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 797 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Yossarian » January 13th, 2021, 11:20 am

Aggie19 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:13 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:06 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I JUST learned yesterday that Keegan was the ONLY Utah State player to "opt out" of the 2020 season. I spoke with a defensive coach in late October about Keegan and the coach had never heard of him. I have no idea if he is returning for the 2021 season.
I remember you saying this and it still just blows my mind, how is this even possible? I think things were much worse than most of us will ever know.
Yeah - this makes no sense at all. Who recruited him? Did Duncan reach out to the staff to let them know his plans to opt out? Did a coach or player even reach out to Duncan and ask what is going on? Or did the coach you talked to just say he hadn't heard of him because he was upset he opted out and didn't want to talk about him? Of does the kid even really exist?



splintorb
Posts: 320
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by splintorb » January 13th, 2021, 11:22 am

Yossarian wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:20 am
Aggie19 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:13 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:06 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I JUST learned yesterday that Keegan was the ONLY Utah State player to "opt out" of the 2020 season. I spoke with a defensive coach in late October about Keegan and the coach had never heard of him. I have no idea if he is returning for the 2021 season.
I remember you saying this and it still just blows my mind, how is this even possible? I think things were much worse than most of us will ever know.
Yeah - this makes no sense at all. Who recruited him? Did Duncan reach out to the staff to let them know his plans to opt out? Did a coach or player even reach out to Duncan and ask what is going on? Or did the coach you talked to just say he hadn't heard of him because he was upset he opted out and didn't want to talk about him? Of does the kid even really exist?
Part of me thinks this is potentially part of Gary's entire..."if you're not with us, you're out" mentality that was brought up in interview. It sounded to me like Gary didn't/wouldn't have anything to do with a player that opted out of this season...pretty ridiculous in my opinion.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5712
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 478 times
Been thanked: 958 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 13th, 2021, 11:23 am

These tweets from Elijah's mother suggest to me this transfer is actually about more than just the new recruits brought in at the same position. After not tweeting for 1 1/2 years she starts tweeting these after the recent debacle.







(and she retweeted this)

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17757
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 893 times
Been thanked: 914 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by NVAggie » January 13th, 2021, 11:24 am

Ironic since Gary ultimately opted out of the season as well.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10706
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6639 times
Been thanked: 4092 times
Contact:

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by aggies22 » January 13th, 2021, 11:29 am

Yossarian wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:20 am
Aggie19 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:13 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:06 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I JUST learned yesterday that Keegan was the ONLY Utah State player to "opt out" of the 2020 season. I spoke with a defensive coach in late October about Keegan and the coach had never heard of him. I have no idea if he is returning for the 2021 season.
I remember you saying this and it still just blows my mind, how is this even possible? I think things were much worse than most of us will ever know.
Yeah - this makes no sense at all. Who recruited him? Did Duncan reach out to the staff to let them know his plans to opt out? Did a coach or player even reach out to Duncan and ask what is going on? Or did the coach you talked to just say he hadn't heard of him because he was upset he opted out and didn't want to talk about him? Of does the kid even really exist?
I think once he "opted out" he was out of the equation. There are over 100 other kids on the team the coaches need to keep track of and pay attention to. Why spend time worrying about the one that CHOSE NOT to be there? Clearly, there were enough issues to attend to already.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1351
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 469 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Sl7vk » January 13th, 2021, 11:40 am

I'm sorry that Shelton feels the way he does.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff will develop a culture where the athletes want to play for the institution and not individual coaches. Building any culture around individual's is dangerous, not scalable and unsustainable.
Last edited by Sl7vk on January 13th, 2021, 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Aglicious



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5563
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 679 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Aglicious » January 13th, 2021, 11:50 am

Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:40 am
I'm sorry that Shelton feels the way he does.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff will develop a culture where the athletes want to play for the institution and not individual coaches. Building any culture around individual's is dangerous, not scalable and u
True! The fact that these players don't seem to have a love for Utah St. really bothers me. I understand having a good relationship with a coach but ultimately they should want to play for the pride of the name on their chest and it is a coaching staff's job to instill that. I find it hard to have a team mentality when there is no emphasis on the very institute that each player has committed to play for and represent. In many ways they are playing for the "higher ups" as she put it, they are also playing for the other students and faculty and thousands of alumni that they have never met.

It's increasingly obvious that this program was fundamentally broken under GA 2.0 and the decay only continued under Maile.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 5):
Sl7vkRoy McAvoyBustaMcNuttaggies22aggieguy13



AGGIEFIGHT
Posts: 614
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:46 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 13th, 2021, 12:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:06 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I JUST learned yesterday that Keegan was the ONLY Utah State player to "opt out" of the 2020 season. I spoke with a defensive coach in late October about Keegan and the coach had never heard of him. I have no idea if he is returning for the 2021 season.
What you the coach told you was bs. He was here in the spring and had a summer job here . From what I was told he did not get along with Ena and that led to his decision to opt out and help his family on the farm. The previous coaching staff
had left him on the Roster and said they wanted him to return. This was from a reliable source
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
aggies22



gomretat
Posts: 698
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by gomretat » January 13th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:50 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:40 am
I'm sorry that Shelton feels the way he does.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff will develop a culture where the athletes want to play for the institution and not individual coaches. Building any culture around individual's is dangerous, not scalable and u
True! The fact that these players don't seem to have a love for Utah St. really bothers me. I understand having a good relationship with a coach but ultimately they should want to play for the pride of the name on their chest and it is a coaching staff's job to instill that. I find it hard to have a team mentality when there is no emphasis on the very institute that each player has committed to play for and represent. In many ways they are playing for the "higher ups" as she put it, they are also playing for the other students and faculty and thousands of alumni that they have never met.

It's increasingly obvious that this program was fundamentally broken under GA 2.0 and the decay only continued under Maile.

Great concept but my guess is that most players in most programs are there because of a good opportunity and the coaches that recruit them. I love it when players love the school but there are plenty of good reasons for choosing a place to play. I have no problem with us getting transfers of young men leaving when they are so inclined. Same thing as people changing companies to work for.



slcagg
Posts: 6393
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1372 times
Been thanked: 1089 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by slcagg » January 13th, 2021, 12:48 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 12:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:06 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I JUST learned yesterday that Keegan was the ONLY Utah State player to "opt out" of the 2020 season. I spoke with a defensive coach in late October about Keegan and the coach had never heard of him. I have no idea if he is returning for the 2021 season.
What you the coach told you was bs. He was here in the spring and had a summer job here . From what I was told he did not get along with Ena and that led to his decision to opt out and help his family on the farm. The previous coaching staff
had left him on the Roster and said they wanted him to return. This was from a reliable source
Is he coming back? How’s his recovery coming?



BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl
Posts: 2628
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 13th, 2021, 12:52 pm

gomretat wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:50 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:40 am
I'm sorry that Shelton feels the way he does.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff will develop a culture where the athletes want to play for the institution and not individual coaches. Building any culture around individual's is dangerous, not scalable and u
True! The fact that these players don't seem to have a love for Utah St. really bothers me. I understand having a good relationship with a coach but ultimately they should want to play for the pride of the name on their chest and it is a coaching staff's job to instill that. I find it hard to have a team mentality when there is no emphasis on the very institute that each player has committed to play for and represent. In many ways they are playing for the "higher ups" as she put it, they are also playing for the other students and faculty and thousands of alumni that they have never met.

It's increasingly obvious that this program was fundamentally broken under GA 2.0 and the decay only continued under Maile.

Great concept but my guess is that most players in most programs are there because of a good opportunity and the coaches that recruit them. I love it when players love the school but there are plenty of good reasons for choosing a place to play. I have no problem with us getting transfers of young men leaving when they are so inclined. Same thing as people changing companies to work for.
Yeah, this just isn’t the reality for the majority of college football players. Unless they’re representing their own state or school, it’s rare for them to be there for any other reason than the coaches and current status of the program.

I don’t fault any of them for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10706
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6639 times
Been thanked: 4092 times
Contact:

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by aggies22 » January 13th, 2021, 1:05 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 12:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:06 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 am
What’s the story on Keenan Duncan? Is he still planning on playing next year?
I JUST learned yesterday that Keegan was the ONLY Utah State player to "opt out" of the 2020 season. I spoke with a defensive coach in late October about Keegan and the coach had never heard of him. I have no idea if he is returning for the 2021 season.
What you the coach told you was bs. He was here in the spring and had a summer job here . From what I was told he did not get along with Ena and that led to his decision to opt out and help his family on the farm. The previous coaching staff
had left him on the Roster and said they wanted him to return. This was from a reliable source
That's fine BUT perhaps the coach I spoke with was new to the program. This coach was VERY honest with me everytime we spoke. I don't believe he was b.s-ing me.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Sl7vk



User avatar
Aggieiester
Posts: 526
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 10:11 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Aggieiester » January 13th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:50 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:40 am
I'm sorry that Shelton feels the way he does.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff will develop a culture where the athletes want to play for the institution and not individual coaches. Building any culture around individual's is dangerous, not scalable and u
True! The fact that these players don't seem to have a love for Utah St. really bothers me. I understand having a good relationship with a coach but ultimately they should want to play for the pride of the name on their chest and it is a coaching staff's job to instill that. I find it hard to have a team mentality when there is no emphasis on the very institute that each player has committed to play for and represent. In many ways they are playing for the "higher ups" as she put it, they are also playing for the other students and faculty and thousands of alumni that they have never met.

It's increasingly obvious that this program was fundamentally broken under GA 2.0 and the decay only continued under Maile.
There doesn't seem to be much loyalty anywhere, the transfer portal is a free-for-all, coaches and administrators leave as soon as a some money is dangled in front of them yet the fans and boosters are supposed to sit through losing seasons and lousy play and are expected to hang in there and continue to fork over time and money year after year.

Maybe there should be a college football "investor/booster" portal?
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post:
AggiePT



AggiePT
Posts: 185
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Has thanked: 419 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by AggiePT » January 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 1:40 pm
Aglicious wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:50 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:40 am
I'm sorry that Shelton feels the way he does.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff will develop a culture where the athletes want to play for the institution and not individual coaches. Building any culture around individual's is dangerous, not scalable and u
True! The fact that these players don't seem to have a love for Utah St. really bothers me. I understand having a good relationship with a coach but ultimately they should want to play for the pride of the name on their chest and it is a coaching staff's job to instill that. I find it hard to have a team mentality when there is no emphasis on the very institute that each player has committed to play for and represent. In many ways they are playing for the "higher ups" as she put it, they are also playing for the other students and faculty and thousands of alumni that they have never met.

It's increasingly obvious that this program was fundamentally broken under GA 2.0 and the decay only continued under Maile.
There doesn't seem to be much loyalty anywhere, the transfer portal is a free-for-all, coaches and administrators leave as soon as a some money is dangled in front of them yet the fans and boosters are supposed to sit through losing seasons and lousy play and are expected to hang in there and continue to fork over time and money year after year.

Maybe there should be a college football "investor/booster" portal?
So true! I have always loved college sports more than professional. One of the main reasons was that I could count on my favorite players to be back again next year. Now it is hard for me to invest my heart and soul into these guys when they can, and often do, just up and go to another school. Maybe even to a rival. Totally sucks.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1351
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 469 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by Sl7vk » January 13th, 2021, 1:55 pm

AggiePT wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Aggieiester wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 1:40 pm
Aglicious wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:50 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:40 am
I'm sorry that Shelton feels the way he does.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff will develop a culture where the athletes want to play for the institution and not individual coaches. Building any culture around individual's is dangerous, not scalable and u
True! The fact that these players don't seem to have a love for Utah St. really bothers me. I understand having a good relationship with a coach but ultimately they should want to play for the pride of the name on their chest and it is a coaching staff's job to instill that. I find it hard to have a team mentality when there is no emphasis on the very institute that each player has committed to play for and represent. In many ways they are playing for the "higher ups" as she put it, they are also playing for the other students and faculty and thousands of alumni that they have never met.

It's increasingly obvious that this program was fundamentally broken under GA 2.0 and the decay only continued under Maile.
There doesn't seem to be much loyalty anywhere, the transfer portal is a free-for-all, coaches and administrators leave as soon as a some money is dangled in front of them yet the fans and boosters are supposed to sit through losing seasons and lousy play and are expected to hang in there and continue to fork over time and money year after year.

Maybe there should be a college football "investor/booster" portal?
So true! I have always loved college sports more than professional. One of the main reasons was that I could count on my favorite players to be back again next year. Now it is hard for me to invest my heart and soul into these guys when they can, and often do, just up and go to another school. Maybe even to a rival. Totally sucks.
The goal posts have moved, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to build that identity.
I agree, kids come to a school because of the coach that recruited them, more often than not. With that said, a good coaching culture will lift the institution and have the kids playing for their school. Take a look at Alabama (terrible example I know). Kids with injuries were limping onto the field to help their team and institution win, and they weren't thinking about themselves. They have extreme pride in being a part of Alabama, and that is on the culture that Saban has created there.
Create a culture of mercenaries, and you get a team of mercenaries.
Leadership is the key here, and we have been void of it for a while. Really excited to see what BA can do in this regard.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
AgliciousAGinNEIowa



BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl
Posts: 2628
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Elijah Shelton in the Portal

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 13th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:50 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:40 am
I'm sorry that Shelton feels the way he does.

I'm hopeful that the new coaching staff will develop a culture where the athletes want to play for the institution and not individual coaches. Building any culture around individual's is dangerous, not scalable and u
True! The fact that these players don't seem to have a love for Utah St. really bothers me. I understand having a good relationship with a coach but ultimately they should want to play for the pride of the name on their chest and it is a coaching staff's job to instill that. I find it hard to have a team mentality when there is no emphasis on the very institute that each player has committed to play for and represent. In many ways they are playing for the "higher ups" as she put it, they are also playing for the other students and faculty and thousands of alumni that they have never met.

It's increasingly obvious that this program was fundamentally broken under GA 2.0 and the decay only continued under Maile.
There doesn't seem to be much loyalty anywhere, the transfer portal is a free-for-all, coaches and administrators leave as soon as a some money is dangled in front of them yet the fans and boosters are supposed to sit through losing seasons and lousy play and are expected to hang in there and continue to fork over time and money year after year.

Maybe there should be a college football "investor/booster" portal?
I know this was a joke... but we don’t need a portal. We’re all free to cheer for whatever team we want any year we want. You can stop your donations today and donate to any other school tomorrow. Any school will happily except your fandom and money, no scholarship limit for fans, and no NCAA waiting period when you transfer!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic