Offensive Scheme: Questions and observations

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Offensive Scheme: Questions and observations

Post by Madmartigan » January 10th, 2021, 8:21 am

Coach Anderson has stated we will be running an up-tempo offense as we did with our record breaking offense in 2018. What do we feel we lack offensively to run this correctly? These are the biggest needs with such an offense:

-QB with above average arm and pocket presence
-2-3 RBs that can run and catch the ball out of the backfield
-OL that are quick and can get into open space and block
-Pass catcher: 1 with game breaking speed, 1 possession, 1 excellent route runner, 1 TE with soft hands that can also block

Do we have a feel for how many of our 2 deep OL will come back? That and the QB will be the biggest differences. Also @aggies22 do you have a feel for how this offense might be different schematically for our 2018 offenses? To the untrained eye (mine) most up-tempo offenses look and feel the same.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Offensive Scheme: Questions and observations

Post by aggies22 » January 11th, 2021, 9:46 am

Madmartigan wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 8:21 am
Coach Anderson has stated we will be running an up-tempo offense as we did with our record breaking offense in 2018. What do we feel we lack offensively to run this correctly? These are the biggest needs with such an offense:

-QB with above average arm and pocket presence
-2-3 RBs that can run and catch the ball out of the backfield
-OL that are quick and can get into open space and block
-Pass catcher: 1 with game breaking speed, 1 possession, 1 excellent route runner, 1 TE with soft hands that can also block

Do we have a feel for how many of our 2 deep OL will come back? That and the QB will be the biggest differences. Also @aggies22 do you have a feel for how this offense might be different schematically for our 2018 offenses? To the untrained eye (mine) most up-tempo offenses look and feel the same.
I'm not sure yet what we have in Bonner. Andy Peasley was here in 2018 when we ran the up-tempo offense so, he should have some familiarity with it. We definitely have the running backs needed to make this work. We have offensive linemen dropping off like flies so I'm not sure who we even have left. Not a very experienced two-deep I can tell you that much. At wide receiver, we have NOTHING resembling what we had in 2018. We had two pretty good outside receivers that were both 6-3 or taller and punished opposing defensive backs with their physicality. We also had a trio of slot receivers that combined to average close to 10 receptions per game. We have a trio of tight ends that can fill the Dax Raymond role. Carson Terrell, Broc Lane and Bryce Mortenson all have talent.

With the offensive line becoming an issue, we have a problem. We now have more needs than scholarships available for the 2021 class.

usu99

Post by usu99 » January 11th, 2021, 11:26 am

What happened to the OL now??

For all of your IT needs visit http://www.sidelogic.com

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 12th, 2021, 4:01 pm

I'm optimistic. Even though Madmartigan and I agree that the hurry up offense is a gimmick, I'm excited to see somebody other than Yost's version of it. I think we had a competitive team on offense personnel wise last season. Coaching was our biggest problem. The offensive players didn't know the plays. So, no glaring needs to fill in order to run up-tempo. Just an offensive scheme that the players can learn and execute.

I expect the focus to be on bringing in starting quality defensive guys. That's where we looked weak. I'm not sure how much of that hot mess was coaching. Probably most of it. Anderson said he had a connection to the Kansas JC pool of players. I'd like to see him get us some juco starting WR's and DLmen.

We'll get a feel for what Anderson sees as our weaknesses by looking at the positions of the players he brings in.

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic