A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 9th, 2021, 4:55 pm

I wanted to get a rough idea of what the 3 deep depth chart could look like as currently constructed. Players in green are the new additions this offseason. I've made some assumptions that may or may not be right.

Here's my assumptions:

- We're running a 4-2-5 defense next year (What Banda ran at Miami)
- Nick Heninger not being a part of the team. He made some comments he may not be back and he was a ring leader in the whole Maile deal so I'll be surprised if he comes back.
- I'm keeping AJV at LB, but in a 4-2-5 defense he may be moved up to play DL and overall I think there's a lot of fluidity with those guys at DE vs. DT.

Image

Image
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on January 24th, 2021, 7:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 5):
slcaggAggieArmyJSHarveyMWCFAN12El Sapo



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10682
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6609 times
Been thanked: 4069 times
Contact:

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » January 9th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Avendano bailed. I think you'll see more of the seniors not return as well.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 9th, 2021, 5:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 5:13 pm
Avendano bailed. I think you'll see more of the seniors not return as well.
I knew that. That was an oversight on my part leaving him in. I agree more Seniors will be gone, but I wanted to just lay it out to see where I think we're at. I still think we need help at DT (if we run a 4-2-5), Safety, OL, & WR. With the Vaughns & Rice additions though I feel great about the DE/LB position.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1338
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 464 times
Been thanked: 637 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Sl7vk » January 9th, 2021, 5:47 pm

I'm surprised to not see John Gentry in the first 3 at RB.



taniataylor
Posts: 2114
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 1327 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by taniataylor » January 9th, 2021, 6:12 pm

Taylor Compton not returning


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1612
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 9th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Sl7vk wrote:I'm surprised to not see John Gentry in the first 3 at RB.
I agree. I think he’ll be utilized well in the new offense with his pass catching ability.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 9th, 2021, 6:36 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 6:34 pm
Sl7vk wrote:I'm surprised to not see John Gentry in the first 3 at RB.
I agree. I think he’ll be utilized well in the new offense with his pass catching ability.
I agree, I’m a huge fan of Gentry. I just based this off of last year’s depth chart though where those guys were ahead of Gentry.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22



Aggie84025
Posts: 3086
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1045 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Aggie84025 » January 9th, 2021, 7:01 pm

taniataylor wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 6:12 pm
Taylor Compton not returning
Taylor seems like a good man. Wish him luck, i think he will have success in whatever career he chooses.



slcagg
Posts: 6346
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1361 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by slcagg » January 9th, 2021, 7:08 pm

Thanks for this Roy! I love stuff like this.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



taniataylor
Posts: 2114
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 1327 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by taniataylor » January 9th, 2021, 8:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 7:01 pm
taniataylor wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 6:12 pm
Taylor Compton not returning
Taylor seems like a good man. Wish him luck, i think he will have success in whatever career he chooses.
Definitely a good guy, but he graduated so I guess he decided to get on with his career


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5550
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 674 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Aglicious » January 10th, 2021, 8:53 pm

@taniataylor Do you know anything about Kevin returning?

@Roy McAvoy Also, I believe it is Logan Bonner. ;)

I really hope the staff figures out the CB spot too. In this scenario it looks like our 3 best CB's (Mayberry, Lampkin, and Steele) are all on one side and all three are better than any of the players on the opposite corner. Hopefully they find a way to get our best 11 on the field together.



taniataylor
Posts: 2114
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 1327 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by taniataylor » January 10th, 2021, 11:20 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 8:53 pm
@taniataylor Do you know anything about Kevin returning?

@Roy McAvoy Also, I believe it is Logan Bonner. ;)

I really hope the staff figures out the CB spot too. In this scenario it looks like our 3 best CB's (Mayberry, Lampkin, and Steele) are all on one side and all three are better than any of the players on the opposite corner. Hopefully they find a way to get our best 11 on the field together.
I spoke to Kev today while he was driving back to Logan. He’s coming back...


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 6074
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 438 times
Contact:

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by TheAKAggie » January 11th, 2021, 7:56 am

taniataylor wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 8:53 pm
@taniataylor Do you know anything about Kevin returning?

@Roy McAvoy Also, I believe it is Logan Bonner. ;)

I really hope the staff figures out the CB spot too. In this scenario it looks like our 3 best CB's (Mayberry, Lampkin, and Steele) are all on one side and all three are better than any of the players on the opposite corner. Hopefully they find a way to get our best 11 on the field together.
I spoke to Kev today while he was driving back to Logan. He’s coming back...
Ogden Bonner


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaAndroidAggie


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 17th, 2021, 4:12 pm

I've updated the depth chart with the most recent transfers.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22



SlumJum
Posts: 19
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 10:34 am
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by SlumJum » January 17th, 2021, 4:26 pm

You know better than I do Roy, but I'd guess the starting 5 on the o-line would look like this:
LT: Edwards
LG: Ali'ifua
C: Alo
RG: Q. White
RT: Koch

By the end of the year last year, Alo was starting at center and Ali'ifua was the LG.
These users thanked the author SlumJum for the post (total 3):
BustaMcNuttUSU78aggies22



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 17th, 2021, 4:30 pm

SlumJum wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 4:26 pm
You know better than I do Roy, but I'd guess the starting 5 on the o-line would look like this:
LT: Edwards
LG: Ali'ifua
C: Alo
RG: Q. White
RT: Koch

By the end of the year last year, Alo was starting at center and Ali'ifua was the LG.
Thanks, I meant to make that change when Karter Shaw left and then forgot to update it. I thought Quazzel would be a Guard too, but put him at Tackle based off TCU's depth chart. I agree he'll like play guard though. I agree with your synopsis. I updated it.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
aggies22SlumJum



User avatar
jeffdan25
Posts: 135
Joined: June 11th, 2019, 8:37 am
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by jeffdan25 » January 17th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 4:30 pm
SlumJum wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 4:26 pm
You know better than I do Roy, but I'd guess the starting 5 on the o-line would look like this:
LT: Edwards
LG: Ali'ifua
C: Alo
RG: Q. White
RT: Koch

By the end of the year last year, Alo was starting at center and Ali'ifua was the LG.
Thanks, I meant to make that change when Karter Shaw left and then forgot to update it. I thought Quazzel would be a Guard too, but put him at Tackle based off TCU's depth chart. I agree he'll like play guard though. I agree with your synopsis. I updated it.
If we do in fact switch to a 4 man front Marcus Moore will play a 3 technique tackle. I would be shocked if he even starts. He will get valuable time but it will be in relief of peoples-Jones. I would expect Vaughns or Joyner to start at the speed rush end.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10682
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6609 times
Been thanked: 4069 times
Contact:

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by aggies22 » January 17th, 2021, 6:25 pm

jeffdan25 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 6:00 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 4:30 pm
SlumJum wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 4:26 pm
You know better than I do Roy, but I'd guess the starting 5 on the o-line would look like this:
LT: Edwards
LG: Ali'ifua
C: Alo
RG: Q. White
RT: Koch

By the end of the year last year, Alo was starting at center and Ali'ifua was the LG.
Thanks, I meant to make that change when Karter Shaw left and then forgot to update it. I thought Quazzel would be a Guard too, but put him at Tackle based off TCU's depth chart. I agree he'll like play guard though. I agree with your synopsis. I updated it.
If we do in fact switch to a 4 man front Marcus Moore will play a 3 technique tackle. I would be shocked if he even starts. He will get valuable time but it will be in relief of peoples-Jones. I would expect Vaughns or Joyner to start at the speed rush end.
I think Moore could hold onto a starting gig.



Notatrueaggie
Posts: 78
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Notatrueaggie » January 17th, 2021, 6:48 pm

Does anyone think peasley will get on some action too or is it gonna be solely bonner in the offense. I would like to see peasley as a wr or h-back tbh



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9272
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2413 times
Been thanked: 759 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by USU78 » January 17th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Pease-cat formation, anyone?


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5943
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 17th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 6:48 pm
Does anyone think peasley will get on some action too or is it gonna be solely bonner in the offense. I would like to see peasley as a wr or h-back tbh
We could use Peasley to do what the Saints did with Jameis Winston today!



Yossarian
Posts: 4518
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 795 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Yossarian » January 17th, 2021, 8:57 pm

I have it on good authority that Crew Wakely is being moved to the quarterback room. He is the QB that Zach Wilson couldn't beat out at Jordan High forcing Wilson to transfer. He might affect this depth chart.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
USU78Roy McAvoytaniataylor



Notatrueaggie
Posts: 78
Joined: September 4th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Notatrueaggie » January 17th, 2021, 9:04 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 8:57 pm
I have it on good authority that Crew Wakely is being moved to the quarterback room. He is the QB that Zach Wilson couldn't beat out at Jordan High forcing Wilson to transfer. He might affect this depth chart.
I would have to imagine one of qbs will transfer. Peasley, legas, calvin, at least one of them has to bail right? I didnt know wakely until now, but that has to cause someone to transfer. Someone isn’t gonna be happy this year in the qb room



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 502
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 17th, 2021, 9:53 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 8:57 pm
I have it on good authority that Crew Wakely is being moved to the quarterback room. He is the QB that Zach Wilson couldn't beat out at Jordan High forcing Wilson to transfer. He might affect this depth chart.
I am pretty sure that wilson did not transfer because he couldnt beat out wakely. He transferred because he followed Kjar to Corner Canyon. I think Wakely is a couple of years older. I also think Wakely will be a great player.



Aggie19
Posts: 914
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 635 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Aggie19 » January 18th, 2021, 9:13 am

Anyone know of any other potential transfers we should keep an eye on?


Go Aggies!

Blitz79
Posts: 1463
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Blitz79 » January 18th, 2021, 9:24 am

Looking at that list we could use help at...
Center
Depth at the rest of OL
WR
DT
Depth at LB



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7340
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by GeoAg » January 18th, 2021, 8:28 pm

We are good at Center. Alo will be very good. Could always use more depth
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 24th, 2021, 7:10 pm

I've updated a potential depth chart given all the recent changes & transfers.

I know it'll be pretty wrong when the season rolls around, but at least gives us somewhat of a picture of who the guys are right now.



User avatar
aggiefan444
Posts: 682
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by aggiefan444 » January 24th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 4:55 pm
I wanted to get a rough idea of what the 3 deep depth chart could look like as currently constructed. Players in green are the new additions this offseason. I've made some assumptions that may or may not be right.

Here's my assumptions:

- We're running a 4-2-5 defense next year (What Banda ran at Miami)
- Nick Heninger not being a part of the team. He made some comments he may not be back and he was a ring leader in the whole Maile deal so I'll be surprised if he comes back.
- I'm keeping AJV at LB, but in a 4-2-5 defense he may be moved up to play DL and overall I think there's a lot of fluidity with those guys at DE vs. DT.

Image

Image
Talked with Nick Heningers future mother in law and he plans to play next season.
These users thanked the author aggiefan444 for the post:
3rdGenAggie



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9272
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2413 times
Been thanked: 759 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by USU78 » January 24th, 2021, 10:26 pm

Too bad. We can do better.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
CaptainChaos
Posts: 946
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:58 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by CaptainChaos » January 24th, 2021, 10:40 pm

Where does Nyny fit into this? RB, CB, or WR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 24th, 2021, 10:48 pm

aggiefan444 wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 10:19 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 4:55 pm
I wanted to get a rough idea of what the 3 deep depth chart could look like as currently constructed. Players in green are the new additions this offseason. I've made some assumptions that may or may not be right.

Here's my assumptions:

- We're running a 4-2-5 defense next year (What Banda ran at Miami)
- Nick Heninger not being a part of the team. He made some comments he may not be back and he was a ring leader in the whole Maile deal so I'll be surprised if he comes back.
- I'm keeping AJV at LB, but in a 4-2-5 defense he may be moved up to play DL and overall I think there's a lot of fluidity with those guys at DE vs. DT.

Image

Image
Talked with Nick Heningers future mother in law and he plans to play next season.
Well that’s big news. Thanks for sharing!



slcagg
Posts: 6346
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1361 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by slcagg » January 24th, 2021, 10:52 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 10:40 pm
Where does Nyny fit into this? RB, CB, or WR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wr
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 6346
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1361 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by slcagg » January 24th, 2021, 10:52 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 10:48 pm
aggiefan444 wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 10:19 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 4:55 pm
I wanted to get a rough idea of what the 3 deep depth chart could look like as currently constructed. Players in green are the new additions this offseason. I've made some assumptions that may or may not be right.

Here's my assumptions:

- We're running a 4-2-5 defense next year (What Banda ran at Miami)
- Nick Heninger not being a part of the team. He made some comments he may not be back and he was a ring leader in the whole Maile deal so I'll be surprised if he comes back.
- I'm keeping AJV at LB, but in a 4-2-5 defense he may be moved up to play DL and overall I think there's a lot of fluidity with those guys at DE vs. DT.

Image

Image
Talked with Nick Heningers future mother in law and he plans to play next season.
Well that’s big news. Thanks for sharing!
We’ve really improved that front 7 depth. Then to add that we have one of the top defensive players in the league in Justin rice as part of that group.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5550
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 674 times

Re: A Look at a Potential New Depth Chart

Post by Aglicious » January 25th, 2021, 2:40 am

aggiefan444 wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 10:19 pm


Talked with Nick Heningers future mother in law and he plans to play next season.
:shock:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
AggieFBObsession



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic