Cash Gilliam

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10712
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6646 times
Been thanked: 4093 times
Contact:

Cash Gilliam

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2021, 10:42 am

Has told me he is returning to Utah State.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
slcaggaggieguy133rdGenAggieBLUERUFiOImakeitrainthegreendalegelfUSU78



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1353
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 469 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by Sl7vk » January 5th, 2021, 10:49 am

Couldn't find a better deal?
Or did BA and company want to retain him?



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1617
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 5th, 2021, 10:59 am

I think this is good news. Will be interesting to see how the new staff uses him (safety, lb, or some type of hybrid position).



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10712
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6646 times
Been thanked: 4093 times
Contact:

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am

Sl7vk wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:49 am
Couldn't find a better deal?
Or did BA and company want to retain him?
The new staff was not obligated to take him back. Cash reached out and they extended an offer to return.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10712
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6646 times
Been thanked: 4093 times
Contact:

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:59 am
I think this is good news. Will be interesting to see how the new staff uses him (safety, lb, or some type of hybrid position).
Definitely. I'm hearing we are going to run a 4-man front.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
IdaAg93



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 507
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 5th, 2021, 11:20 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:49 am
Couldn't find a better deal?
Or did BA and company want to retain him?
The new staff was not obligated to take him back. Cash reached out and they extended an offer to return.
Sorry if this has been answered, but does that count to this years scholarship count?



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 516
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 202 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 5th, 2021, 11:27 am

Weird how he and Thompson didn't want to play for Maile but will for Anderson.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyaggies22IdaAg93



Yossarian
Posts: 4566
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 797 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by Yossarian » January 5th, 2021, 11:30 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:59 am
I think this is good news. Will be interesting to see how the new staff uses him (safety, lb, or some type of hybrid position).
Definitely. I'm hearing we are going to run a 4-man front.
I hope we get some speed at OLB, then. We got killed on triple option and RPO on the edges. That needs to be addressed ASAP with the defensive scheme and personnel.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3119
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1056 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by Aggie84025 » January 5th, 2021, 11:47 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:59 am
I think this is good news. Will be interesting to see how the new staff uses him (safety, lb, or some type of hybrid position).
Definitely. I'm hearing we are going to run a 4-man front.
Nice on the new staff to give these guys another chance to play for the aggies. They certainly did not have to, but it seems like they are going to build some good raport with the team by showing some mercy to these players that left and wanted to return.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOaggies22IdaAg93



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7622
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by Imakeitrain » January 5th, 2021, 11:53 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:27 am
Weird how he and Thompson didn't want to play for Maile but will for Anderson.
Did he say that or are you inferring? I would not be quick to assume that it was a personal grudge against maile.

Football players are humans that are just as complex as any other. Complex humans make complex human decisions. Ranging from environmental decisions, social decisions, career, etc. It could be anything.

Even if that were so it isn’t weird at all. Hearing the press conference, seeing the speeches I’ve never been more impressed with a usu coach. Maybe even any coach. If I felt that- and even if others only felt a portion of that- staying could be rational and compelling.
Last edited by Imakeitrain on January 5th, 2021, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 4):
NavyBluegomretattaniataylorPIGSKINAGGIE


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3349
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 938 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by ineptimusprime » January 5th, 2021, 12:03 pm

Glad to have him back. You can’t fault guys for exploring their options considering the uncertainty.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
JSHarvey



AGGIEFIGHT
Posts: 614
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:46 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 5th, 2021, 1:53 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:20 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:49 am
Couldn't find a better deal?
Or did BA and company want to retain him?
The new staff was not obligated to take him back. Cash reached out and they extended an offer to return.
Sorry if this has been answered, but does that count to this years scholarship count?
As long as he did not enroll in another program he should not count as an initial.
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10712
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6646 times
Been thanked: 4093 times
Contact:

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2021, 1:59 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:20 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:49 am
Couldn't find a better deal?
Or did BA and company want to retain him?
The new staff was not obligated to take him back. Cash reached out and they extended an offer to return.
Sorry if this has been answered, but does that count to this years scholarship count?
It does not.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10712
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6646 times
Been thanked: 4093 times
Contact:

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2021, 2:00 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 1:53 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:20 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:49 am
Couldn't find a better deal?
Or did BA and company want to retain him?
The new staff was not obligated to take him back. Cash reached out and they extended an offer to return.
Sorry if this has been answered, but does that count to this years scholarship count?
As long as he did not enroll in another program he should not count as an initial.
100% correct my Aggie brother!



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10712
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6646 times
Been thanked: 4093 times
Contact:

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2021, 2:01 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:30 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:59 am
I think this is good news. Will be interesting to see how the new staff uses him (safety, lb, or some type of hybrid position).
Definitely. I'm hearing we are going to run a 4-man front.
I hope we get some speed at OLB, then. We got killed on triple option and RPO on the edges. That needs to be addressed ASAP with the defensive scheme and personnel.
From what I understand we are going to play a 4-man front.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2196
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 289 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by Intermeddler » January 5th, 2021, 2:01 pm

If we project to be well under the 85, and are light on bodies for the spring, I would welcome back a lot of these guys who initially entered the portal since it can get our roster number up without counting towards the 25 IC limit (provided they didn't burn bridges on the way out).



Intermeddler
Posts: 2196
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 289 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by Intermeddler » January 5th, 2021, 2:03 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Yossarian wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:30 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:59 am
I think this is good news. Will be interesting to see how the new staff uses him (safety, lb, or some type of hybrid position).
Definitely. I'm hearing we are going to run a 4-man front.
I hope we get some speed at OLB, then. We got killed on triple option and RPO on the edges. That needs to be addressed ASAP with the defensive scheme and personnel.
From what I understand we are going to play a 4-man front.
We are almost certainly going to play a 4-2-5 with the 5th DB either a nickel corner on passing downs or a "striker" which is essentially a bigger safety in place of the strongside LB.

Assuming Banda brings the Diaz defense, speed will be at a premium at every spot over size, other than the 1 Tech DT.



JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 681
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by JFW_AGGIES » January 5th, 2021, 2:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Yossarian wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:30 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:59 am
I think this is good news. Will be interesting to see how the new staff uses him (safety, lb, or some type of hybrid position).
Definitely. I'm hearing we are going to run a 4-man front.
I hope we get some speed at OLB, then. We got killed on triple option and RPO on the edges. That needs to be addressed ASAP with the defensive scheme and personnel.
From what I understand we are going to play a 4-man front.
Oh boy people are going to have a come apart because we tried the 4-man line with Ena



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 507
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 5th, 2021, 2:23 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 2:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Yossarian wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:30 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 10:59 am
I think this is good news. Will be interesting to see how the new staff uses him (safety, lb, or some type of hybrid position).
Definitely. I'm hearing we are going to run a 4-man front.
I hope we get some speed at OLB, then. We got killed on triple option and RPO on the edges. That needs to be addressed ASAP with the defensive scheme and personnel.
From what I understand we are going to play a 4-man front.
Oh boy people are going to have a come apart because we tried the 4-man line with Ena
Could you say that "we tried that, it didnt work out"?
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 3):
ShowMeAggieUSU78bluegrouse



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6809
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 578 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 5th, 2021, 2:27 pm

I have big concerns about running a 4-man front, but am hoping for the best.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2647
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 1505 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 5th, 2021, 2:30 pm

I think we just need to expect this to take a season+ of recruiting to get the horses we need. I may be wrong and maybe this staff can pull off a recruiting / coaching miracle?


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

AgSpaceCase
Posts: 625
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 am
Location: West Point, Utah
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by AgSpaceCase » January 5th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Not sure a 4 man front is going to work at this level unless the new staff can recruit the D-line at a higher level than we have for the past decade. Skill players in the MW are just a hair below or often times at P5 levels since there are soo many coming out of high school every school seems to have a QB, RB, or Receiver that is NFL level. NFL prospect D-line are much harder to find or build. While a step down wats probably sufficient in the sun belt which is a step down all over the field, I don't know if the players we can get will cut in the the mountain west. With Gary in both the first and second stint we started with a 4-3 and had to switch to a 3-4 to be successful. Even with all the chaos this year the 3-4/3-3-5 alignment led to a better overall defense. Blake Anderson is known as an offensive guy and ASU had only mediocre defenses while he was there. This plan has me worried that we may never have the dominating defenses of years past again.


"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

hickaggie
Posts: 3289
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by hickaggie » January 5th, 2021, 3:12 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 2:27 pm
I have big concerns about running a 4-man front, but am hoping for the best.
The 4-2-5 is a great defense if you have the right D-ends and great corners. If not it can get ugly fast. And finding those D-ends is the hardest part because they are in high demand, short supply and are probably the top position target after QB. The closest thing we've had to that the last couple of years was Heninger and even he is more comfortable as the OLB in a 3-4. Its tough to find guys to have the speed and quickness to to contain inside out, the size to squeeze, and the length to be a great pass rusher.

Wyoming has done a good job of it in our conference in their more 4-3 approach though.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2521
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by newhouse9 » January 5th, 2021, 3:15 pm

I'll feel better about the 4-man front if we can sign more 6-4 300 lbs guys like the kid who recently signed.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2196
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 289 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by Intermeddler » January 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm

For reference, below is Miami's DL from this year (FWIW given Banda's background and what you generally see in a 4-man front this might be his goal)

DE Quincy Roche 6-3 245
DE Jaelen Phillips 6-5 266

Greg Roussea opted out otherwise he would have started and he is a bit taller and heavier than Phillips

3 Tech Nesta Silvera 6-2 305
1 Tech Jon Ford 6-5 318

Others that played at DT were 6-4 285 and 6-4 320 and at DE 6-4 and 240 and 245

Obviously, they are recruiting a different talent pool, but they have generally had one NG size DT, one that is slightly smaller and quicker whose job is to penetrate a gap (usually lining up as a 3 Tech but not always) and long DEs that are in the 240-260 range.

I am pretty confident we can get a starting DL that size, but a developmental program like ours is going to have a tough time having depth with that size.

Miami typically has had 15-17 scholarships allotted to the DL and 8-10 to LBs depending on if you count the striker as a LB or a safety and 12-14 DBs. You will probably see us recruit a bunch of 6'3 or 6'4 guys in the 200-210 pound range with the goal they add 30-40 pounds to play DE. Those guys will be unplayable in this system for at least a year and maybe two.

I think the hardest things to find will be guys with length to bulk up at DE and size at DT, but one of the DTs is typically in the 290-300 range and they only have a couple guys in the 315-330 range.

Where Miami has struggled this year is their corner play has not been good which has pulled their safeties away from run support a bit and into more zone coverage but they play deep safeties so there is room to work if LBs aren't gap sound and, like I have posted before, they are not always gap sound as a principle of their D to cause confusion and chaos behind the line.

I hope Banda keeps the front 4 schemes and philosophy generally, but teaches more discipline at the LB level. If you watch Miami's defense in 2017, that is probably the best iteration of what this looks like and Miami in 2020 (against good teams anyway) the worst.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2264
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 5th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Seems we've had little good fortune with the 4 down linemen set. As has been noted here, the 6-3/4 275 lb plus D Ends are in high demand and short supply, so at USU we moved to a 3 - 4 set. This offers some stunting options for a defense that may be out maned by heavier, bulkier O linemen. In 2019 we saw what happened when our then D Coordinator Ena chose to attempt a 4 down set which under performed much of that season. We just didn't have the size then to take on O linemen who outweighed our former outside OLB's who were moved to playing D end.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10712
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6646 times
Been thanked: 4093 times
Contact:

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm
For reference, below is Miami's DL from this year (FWIW given Banda's background and what you generally see in a 4-man front this might be his goal)

DE Quincy Roche 6-3 245
DE Jaelen Phillips 6-5 266

Greg Roussea opted out otherwise he would have started and he is a bit taller and heavier than Phillips

3 Tech Nesta Silvera 6-2 305
1 Tech Jon Ford 6-5 318

Others that played at DT were 6-4 285 and 6-4 320 and at DE 6-4 and 240 and 245

Obviously, they are recruiting a different talent pool, but they have generally had one NG size DT, one that is slightly smaller and quicker whose job is to penetrate a gap (usually lining up as a 3 Tech but not always) and long DEs that are in the 240-260 range.

I am pretty confident we can get a starting DL that size, but a developmental program like ours is going to have a tough time having depth with that size.

Miami typically has had 15-17 scholarships allotted to the DL and 8-10 to LBs depending on if you count the striker as a LB or a safety and 12-14 DBs. You will probably see us recruit a bunch of 6'3 or 6'4 guys in the 200-210 pound range with the goal they add 30-40 pounds to play DE. Those guys will be unplayable in this system for at least a year and maybe two.

I think the hardest things to find will be guys with length to bulk up at DE and size at DT, but one of the DTs is typically in the 290-300 range and they only have a couple guys in the 315-330 range.

Where Miami has struggled this year is their corner play has not been good which has pulled their safeties away from run support a bit and into more zone coverage but they play deep safeties so there is room to work if LBs aren't gap sound and, like I have posted before, they are not always gap sound as a principle of their D to cause confusion and chaos behind the line.

I hope Banda keeps the front 4 schemes and philosophy generally, but teaches more discipline at the LB level. If you watch Miami's defense in 2017, that is probably the best iteration of what this looks like and Miami in 2020 (against good teams anyway) the worst.
Your knowledge about our incoming coaches from Miami has been invaluable. Thank you for your contribution my Aggie brother. Keep the info coming!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieArmy



Yossarian
Posts: 4566
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 797 times

Re: Cash Gilliam

Post by Yossarian » January 5th, 2021, 4:19 pm

So what is the "right" type of guy we need to run a 4-man front on defense against the RPO offenses of today? I'm thinking the DEs need to be long, rangy, and athletic/speedy. The Kyler Fackrell/Nate Putnam type guys. We need some big guys in the middle at DT to take on two blockers and plug gaps in the middle on run plays.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic