Banda

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Intermeddler

Banda

Post by Intermeddler » January 1st, 2021, 1:15 pm

FWIW, I follow Miami very closely and subscribe to one of their premium boards, and their insiders think Banda taking the DC job here is a done deal and are surprised it hasn’t been announced.

I guess he was hospitalized a couple times briefly with Covid and the last month was pretty difficult for him so maybe that slowed things down a bit though he was on the sidelines for their bowl so he appears back to good health.

I haven’t heard differently on the USU side but thought some might be interested that the other side of the equation thinks it’s happening too.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
BLUERUFiO

ViAggie

Re: Banda

Post by ViAggie » January 1st, 2021, 1:41 pm

Interesting

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 1st, 2021, 1:52 pm

ViAggie wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 1:41 pm
Interesting
Perhaps the University being closed could be the answer.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 1st, 2021, 3:07 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 1:15 pm
FWIW, I follow Miami very closely and subscribe to one of their premium boards, and their insiders think Banda taking the DC job here is a done deal and are surprised it hasn’t been announced.

I guess he was hospitalized a couple times briefly with Covid and the last month was pretty difficult for him so maybe that slowed things down a bit though he was on the sidelines for their bowl so he appears back to good health.

I haven’t heard differently on the USU side but thought some might be interested that the other side of the equation thinks it’s happening too.
Thank you very much for sharing this. I've been scouring canesinsight.com for Banda news, but, I haven't seen anything Banda related lately. As an Aggie/Miami fan, would you be excited to have Banda here?

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 1st, 2021, 3:22 pm

Other than whoever is involved with basketball, no one within athletics will be in town until Monday. News will start to be announced soon.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOflying_scotsman2.0

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 1st, 2021, 3:58 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 3:07 pm
Intermeddler wrote:

Thank you very much for sharing this. I've been scouring canesinsight.com for Banda news, but, I haven't seen anything Banda related lately. As an Aggie/Miami fan, would you be excited to have Banda here?
I did read one of their threads on this. They want to get rid of all their defensive coaches INCLUDING him, but he is the guy they least want to get rid of as they want to get rid of the DC and other assistants worse than him, and they don't want to lose his recruiting. They hate the idea of him being the ONLY defensive coach that leaves, but they also hate the idea of firing the DC just to hire him.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 2nd, 2021, 12:55 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

This is a great question and I have thought about it quite a bit. I think my answer is, yes, I would be excited to have him here. This is a bit long but good background on why I like the system generally, but it has issues, and how Banda fits in.

When Al Golden coached Miami, he brought a 2-gap 3-4 defense that played a lot of zone coverage with his protege, Mark Donofrio, as DC. This defense was a disaster at Miami. Their recruiting base has a ton of long, athletic DEs and his system put a ton of weight on guys and required them to play slow. No DL wanted to play there and it is a system that requires exceptional DL. They were consistently near the bottom of the country in yards per play, sacks, TFLs, and turnovers. It was a really bad schematic fit for the talent and fanbase.

Richt comes in and hires Diaz and he immediately implements the old Miami 4-3 front like Jimmy Johnson developed with 1 gap assignments. His system is a lot like the FSU system in the 90s. The DEs have 1 job and that is to get upfield and LBs are asked to flow into gaps to try and make plays in the backfield. It can be devastating if they are getting pressure but it asks a lot of the LBs because the DEs aren't necessarily gap sound by design. So if you have slow LBs or ones that lack instincts, then there can be some big gaps.

For most of Diaz's tenure, they have had solid LBs (Shaq Quartermann and Mike Pinckney namely). But this year, they lost those guys and their LB play was awful. If you watch their game against UNC, you see their DEs shoot up the field, but the LBs didn't fill at all and that counter play killed them because the LBs flowed to try and blow the play up and left huge gaps on the weak side.

Until this year, the Diaz system had been a really good fit and they would have had some really good teams if their offense had cooperated. However, really good offenses can eat the system up especially if they can establish the run.

As you can imagine, the system also asks a lot of the safeties because they have to fill in where the LBs miss or leave gaps and they also have to be responsible for deep coverage (they play a ton of 2 high safety). The system is a dream for DEs and certain LBs and really tough for safeties.

Enter Banda. He gets some criticism as safeties coach but I think he has done an ok job there. He is an excellent recruiter, very high energy and his players love him. I think he would be a good fit here at the present time for those reasons. My concerns are that, he only knows the Diaz system. He has followed him everywhere (Texas, Miss. St., and Miami). I am not sure I love the system for USU. Miami has a really good DL (they may have 3 DEs go in the first 2 rounds of the draft) and a lot of depth there (15-17 guys). It is tough to have that DL depth at USU. On the plus side, it creates a ton of havoc around the line of scrimmage and we will force more turnovers, get more sacks, and more TFLs.

Part of Diaz's philosophy is that, in modern CFB, teams are going to score 28+ points and it is really tough to keep teams below that so you need to hit big plays on defense to kill drives and don't give up big pass plays. I think that is probably right, but teams with better talent that won't be susceptible to allowing those big defensive plays could do damage on us.

Miami fans really hate the current DC, Blake Baker, and I think with good reason. He relies a ton on zone coverage which is pretty soft and allows teams to avoid our pass rush because they can get the ball out quickly and generally has a poor feel for situational calls. Their CB coach, Mike Rumph, is a dreadful recruiter. The cornerback talent leaving South Florida the last 5 years is astonishing. As a Miami fan, I think I like Banda leaving because it forces a bit of a shakeup on the defensive staff that is necessary, but if they were to fire everyone on that side of the ball but keep one guy, I would keep Banda primarily for his recruiting.

So overall, I generally like the Diaz system and philosophy, but it needs some tweaks to be more gap sound IMO. If Banda brings that system and we can get enough talented defensive players in the front 7 to handle it, I think we will really enjoy it as a fanbase. It would look a lot like Orlando or Patterson but out of a 4 man front. They have a "striker" position which is essentially a big safety instead of a SLB so the personnel would look a bit like the 3-3-5 but the edge in the 3-3-5 would have his hand in the dirt and be a bit bigger than Henninger for example.

But, it could look like a square peg in a round hole if we can't find the players. Also, don't be fooled by his Co-DC title. When Diaz left for Temple, Richt named Banda and a guy named Jon Patke as Co-DCs. Miami fans thought this was a disaster and it was pretty obvious Richt was checked out because he retired like 2 days later. When Diaz came back, he hired Baker over those guys but Banda kept his title and pay bump. He does not call the defense at all and, as far as I know, has never called the defense. He is almost certainly taking a pay cut to be our DC (I have been told he makes over $500,000 right now) so he must want to grow and see what he can do.

Anyway, long response to a simple question but that is my view of Banda and what we might be getting, pros and cons. Overall, I like the hire but am not devastated to see him leave Miami.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiOaggies22

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » January 2nd, 2021, 6:41 am

Intermeddler wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 12:55 am
BLUERUFiO wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

This is a great question and I have thought about it quite a bit. I think my answer is, yes, I would be excited to have him here. This is a bit long but good background on why I like the system generally, but it has issues, and how Banda fits in.

When Al Golden coached Miami, he brought a 2-gap 3-4 defense that played a lot of zone coverage with his protege, Mark Donofrio, as DC. This defense was a disaster at Miami. Their recruiting base has a ton of long, athletic DEs and his system put a ton of weight on guys and required them to play slow. No DL wanted to play there and it is a system that requires exceptional DL. They were consistently near the bottom of the country in yards per play, sacks, TFLs, and turnovers. It was a really bad schematic fit for the talent and fanbase.

Richt comes in and hires Diaz and he immediately implements the old Miami 4-3 front like Jimmy Johnson developed with 1 gap assignments. His system is a lot like the FSU system in the 90s. The DEs have 1 job and that is to get upfield and LBs are asked to flow into gaps to try and make plays in the backfield. It can be devastating if they are getting pressure but it asks a lot of the LBs because the DEs aren't necessarily gap sound by design. So if you have slow LBs or ones that lack instincts, then there can be some big gaps.

For most of Diaz's tenure, they have had solid LBs (Shaq Quartermann and Mike Pinckney namely). But this year, they lost those guys and their LB play was awful. If you watch their game against UNC, you see their DEs shoot up the field, but the LBs didn't fill at all and that counter play killed them because the LBs flowed to try and blow the play up and left huge gaps on the weak side.

Until this year, the Diaz system had been a really good fit and they would have had some really good teams if their offense had cooperated. However, really good offenses can eat the system up especially if they can establish the run.

As you can imagine, the system also asks a lot of the safeties because they have to fill in where the LBs miss or leave gaps and they also have to be responsible for deep coverage (they play a ton of 2 high safety). The system is a dream for DEs and certain LBs and really tough for safeties.

Enter Banda. He gets some criticism as safeties coach but I think he has done an ok job there. He is an excellent recruiter, very high energy and his players love him. I think he would be a good fit here at the present time for those reasons. My concerns are that, he only knows the Diaz system. He has followed him everywhere (Texas, Miss. St., and Miami). I am not sure I love the system for USU. Miami has a really good DL (they may have 3 DEs go in the first 2 rounds of the draft) and a lot of depth there (15-17 guys). It is tough to have that DL depth at USU. On the plus side, it creates a ton of havoc around the line of scrimmage and we will force more turnovers, get more sacks, and more TFLs.

Part of Diaz's philosophy is that, in modern CFB, teams are going to score 28+ points and it is really tough to keep teams below that so you need to hit big plays on defense to kill drives and don't give up big pass plays. I think that is probably right, but teams with better talent that won't be susceptible to allowing those big defensive plays could do damage on us.

Miami fans really hate the current DC, Blake Baker, and I think with good reason. He relies a ton on zone coverage which is pretty soft and allows teams to avoid our pass rush because they can get the ball out quickly and generally has a poor feel for situational calls. Their CB coach, Mike Rumph, is a dreadful recruiter. The cornerback talent leaving South Florida the last 5 years is astonishing. As a Miami fan, I think I like Banda leaving because it forces a bit of a shakeup on the defensive staff that is necessary, but if they were to fire everyone on that side of the ball but keep one guy, I would keep Banda primarily for his recruiting.

So overall, I generally like the Diaz system and philosophy, but it needs some tweaks to be more gap sound IMO. If Banda brings that system and we can get enough talented defensive players in the front 7 to handle it, I think we will really enjoy it as a fanbase. It would look a lot like Orlando or Patterson but out of a 4 man front. They have a "striker" position which is essentially a big safety instead of a SLB so the personnel would look a bit like the 3-3-5 but the edge in the 3-3-5 would have his hand in the dirt and be a bit bigger than Henninger for example.

But, it could look like a square peg in a round hole if we can't find the players. Also, don't be fooled by his Co-DC title. When Diaz left for Temple, Richt named Banda and a guy named Jon Patke as Co-DCs. Miami fans thought this was a disaster and it was pretty obvious Richt was checked out because he retired like 2 days later. When Diaz came back, he hired Baker over those guys but Banda kept his title and pay bump. He does not call the defense at all and, as far as I know, has never called the defense. He is almost certainly taking a pay cut to be our DC (I have been told he makes over $500,000 right now) so he must want to grow and see what he can do.

Anyway, long response to a simple question but that is my view of Banda and what we might be getting, pros and cons. Overall, I like the hire but am not devastated to see him leave Miami.
Great take!!! Very knowledgeable and thought out post! As someone who has coached and played a ton of ball I sometimes find it challenging to hear people’s schematic takes on this board. I’m not calling anyone out, or talking smack, it’s just hard if you’ve never been in a situation to call plays or teach young men the game to truly understand the X’s and O’s. I completely agree with your take on Banda/Diaz defense and I feel like that has become the mindset of many d-coordinators across the country. As a defensive guy I hate it, but I understand it 1000% haha. As a high school coach we ran the same style of defense and it was hugely successful. This 4-2-5/4-3/3-3-5 style defense works wonders against the RPO. The biggest issue we have currently is in the front 7. We currently have 2 LB’s that can play in this defense and that is it! We also need to hit the transfer market hard at the dline position for rotational guys. I truly think our secondary can fit in nicely.
These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Intermeddler

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 2nd, 2021, 10:19 am

Intermeddler wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 12:55 am
BLUERUFiO wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

When is your book signing?? JK JK! Very helpful post. Thank you! It sounds like if we can get the players to fit the system up front it will be an exciting, feast or famine D. I’m ready for Banda to come and am excited. It may take a couple years to get the players in though.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 2nd, 2021, 10:31 am

Liked your comment about time taking time BLUER, seems to be very accurate. Time to recruit, sign, grow and initiate into the system our new players. I do believe we have some athletes on the team now, and perhaps the divisive cancer and the reasons for it to flourish have been excised. We can expect those divisions to be removed as there is now place for such attitudes.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 2nd, 2021, 1:44 pm

Banda as a secondary guy would make sense if you already have a guy like Maile to work with the D line. I wonder if this was the original plan and they are sticking with Banda and giving him the reigns because of how things worked out with Frank? Just speculation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 2nd, 2021, 3:18 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 1:44 pm
Banda as a secondary guy would make sense if you already have a guy like Maile to work with the D line. I wonder if this was the original plan and they are sticking with Banda and giving him the reigns because of how things worked out with Frank? Just speculation...

I would think that to get someone to go from Miami to Utah State, you would have to give them a coordinator position and that they aren't going to just go from Miami position coach to Utah State position coach. And given that the Frank fiasco unfolded just one day after BA accepted our head job, it's highly unlikely BA had any thought about keeping Frank.

I do remember something like this happening when Brent Guy was hired. He brought in someone intending to just have him be a linebackers coach, but then gave him the DC job when he couldn't get others for DC.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 2nd, 2021, 3:52 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

I would think that to get someone to go from Miami to Utah State, you would have to give them a coordinator position and that they aren't going to just go from Miami position coach to Utah State position coach. And given that the Frank fiasco unfolded just one day after BA accepted our head job, it's highly unlikely BA had any thought about keeping Frank.

I do remember something like this happening when Brent Guy was hired. He brought in someone intending to just have him be a linebackers coach, but then gave him the DC job when he couldn't get others for DC.
It could be that Banda was still in the plans to be the defensive guy and call the plays. At most it would mean keeping Frank as co-coordinator which wouldn’t make it a lateral move for Banda because he would gain play calling duties which sounds like it was important to him.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 2nd, 2021, 7:55 pm

Rumor on Miami boards is Banda might bring Demarcus Van Dyke to be the cornerbacks coach.

He has been an off-field staffer for Miami for a couple years and was a pretty good player there. Would be his first on-field coaching job but I think he would do a good job FWIW.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOGeoAgaggies22

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » January 2nd, 2021, 9:17 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 7:55 pm
Rumor on Miami boards is Banda might bring Demarcus Van Dyke to be the cornerbacks coach.

He has been an off-field staffer for Miami for a couple years and was a pretty good player there. Would be his first on-field coaching job but I think he would do a good job FWIW.
I hope so we need a good DB coach this has been lacking since Shaver left. Why don't we go after the guy at BSU and coach Chad for DL
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post:
aggies22

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 2nd, 2021, 9:50 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 3:52 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

It could be that Banda was still in the plans to be the defensive guy and call the plays. At most it would mean keeping Frank as co-coordinator which wouldn’t make it a lateral move for Banda because he would gain play calling duties which sounds like it was important to him.

Dear god, I hope you are wrong about any thought of keeping Frank around. :crazy:
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiImakeitrainoleblu111

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 2nd, 2021, 10:44 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 7:55 pm

Your knowledge about Miami has been fantastic my Aggie brother! Thank you!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiIntermeddler

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 2nd, 2021, 11:42 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 3:52 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

Dear god, I hope you are wrong about any thought of keeping Frank around. :crazy:
I meant initially.... I don’t think anyone one in their right mind would want to keep frank on at usu now.

These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
Sl7vk

aggiefanatic

Post by aggiefanatic » January 3rd, 2021, 11:32 am

Some updates on coaching staff. @aggies22 can you confirm?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 3rd, 2021, 12:01 pm

aggiefanatic wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 11:32 am

I named Banda as the DC candidate three weeks ago. It looks like my sources were correct.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 3rd, 2021, 12:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:01 pm
aggiefanatic wrote:

I named Banda as the DC candidate three weeks ago. It looks like my sources were correct.
Anyone have information on Zuckerman and Devine?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 3rd, 2021, 12:15 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:14 pm
aggies22 wrote:
aggiefanatic wrote:

I also saw a Miami article stating van dyke as the corners coach as well.

We are going to be targeting Florida as a recruiting spot I think.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 3rd, 2021, 12:32 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggiefanatic wrote:

Both young guys it sounds like... Devine was Asst director of player development. I'm just guessing but I bet he takes on a similar role here? Played some CC ball in Mississippi. Zuckerman was a defensive analyst both at Miami and at Rutgers before that. I'm guessing a position coach is a step up (at least title-wise) for him. I hope he can help bring back some toughness, meanness, tackling technique, and SPEED to what used to be (needs to be) a pretty solid position for us. If I'm honest I think I'd rather have proven experience at every coaching position rather then breaking in several new guys. But if coach A has faith in them and is confident in what they bring to the table then I say welcome to the Aggie family, young men!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 3rd, 2021, 12:35 pm

Miami forum going crazy. 26 pages of posts since this morning:

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/ba ... st.167362/

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 3rd, 2021, 12:57 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:35 pm

I'm trying to decipher their board. Who's the coach they refer to as DVD?!?!?

aggiefanatic

Post by aggiefanatic » January 3rd, 2021, 1:00 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:57 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:

https://miamihurricanes.com/coach/demarcus-van-dyke/
These users thanked the author aggiefanatic for the post:
Sl7vk

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 3rd, 2021, 1:19 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:15 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:14 pm
aggies22 wrote:
aggiefanatic wrote:

I also saw a Miami article stating van dyke as the corners coach as well.

We are going to be targeting Florida as a recruiting spot I think.
And it's about damn time!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 3rd, 2021, 1:20 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:57 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:

Demarcus Van Dyke.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 3rd, 2021, 1:26 pm

Sounds like DVD is coming to be the CB coach. That's what I'm getting from that catastrophic Hurricanes thread.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 3rd, 2021, 1:51 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 1:26 pm
Sounds like DVD is coming to be the CB coach. That's what I'm getting from that catastrophic Hurricanes thread.
I was getting out of it that they think he’ll be their CB coach, maybe. :noidea:

But, I’m only on page 11. Lots more to read so maybe they change their tune lol

Edit: OK, made it through all 29 pages. Some weird crap in there. I’m glad we don’t get that weird.

So, later on in the thread, more think he is coming here as our DB coach. It would be a major win for us. They don’t want to lose him, but, they also want someone more experienced to coach DBs. He’s a former NFL db.
Last edited by BLUERUFiO on January 3rd, 2021, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 3rd, 2021, 1:56 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 1:51 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 1:26 pm
I was getting out of it that they think he’ll be their CB coach, maybe. :noidea:

But, I’m only on page 11. Lots more to read so maybe they change their tune lol
Kind of keeps going, then devolves into garbage around page 20ish. One thing they posted on Zuckerman

Go Aggies!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 4th, 2021, 10:34 am

So is it Ethan or Ephraim? I've seen both in this thread.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 4th, 2021, 11:07 am

Ephraim.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 7th, 2021, 11:23 am

He’s gotta be good. Banda rhymes with Aranda.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 7th, 2021, 11:53 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 11:23 am
He’s gotta be good. Banda rhymes with Aranda.
Yeah and Anderson rhymes with Andersen... So...
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Locked Previous topicNext topic