Interesting Development

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
The Truth

Re: Interesting Development

Post by The Truth » December 27th, 2020, 12:41 am

1. MWC = AAC (any argument for one over the other is just splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things)

2. No way USU is even a remote consideration in this scenario for all the reasons already listed.

3. BSU is not going anywhere. The WAC and Big West have already both said no thanks to adding their Olympic sports so unless the deal is all sports to AAC, it is dead. If the offer is for all sports then any small gain in FB $ would be offset by the added travel expenses for all the non-revenue sports.

In the end what would this move benefit BSU anyway? They would travel far more than any team in that conference. They would have a more difficult road to a NY6 game. They would be one of several decent G5 teams in that conference but still in a G5 conference. Now BYU - that is a different story. This would gain them access to a NY6 bowl, something they are never going to do in a normal year with their normal independent schedule. They couldn't even do it with a horrid schedule this year and one of their better teams in the last 2 decades.

Stewie Griffin

Post by Stewie Griffin » December 27th, 2020, 3:48 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 2:10 am
Meh...

I like the MWC. I like playing Wyoming, CSU, Air Force, New Mexico, Nevada, etc. I am also not a fan of selling out all of the other sports just so the football team can still be a member of a G5 conference with very few regional rivals. Now if the AAC were willing to perhaps throw another MWC school into the mix, like Colorado State, and make this an all sports invite, I would be much more willing to go along. You could even have BYU leave its other sports in the WCC, and keep Wichita State as its non-football replacement.

Imagine this:
EAST
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
Tulane

WEST
Boise State
BYU/Wichita State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Utah State

That I could get on board with.
Or,,,let BSU go, move Nevada to the Mountain division and add Eastern Washington to the West division.
These users thanked the author Stewie Griffin for the post:
JSHarvey

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 27th, 2020, 3:50 pm

The poor NewMags.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 27th, 2020, 4:28 pm

The Truth wrote:1. MWC = AAC (any argument for one over the other is just splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things)

2. No way USU is even a remote consideration in this scenario for all the reasons already listed.

3. BSU is not going anywhere. The WAC and Big West have already both said no thanks to adding their Olympic sports so unless the deal is all sports to AAC, it is dead. If the offer is for all sports then any small gain in FB $ would be offset by the added travel expenses for all the non-revenue sports.

In the end what would this move benefit BSU anyway? They would travel far more than any team in that conference. They would have a more difficult road to a NY6 game. They would be one of several decent G5 teams in that conference but still in a G5 conference. Now BYU - that is a different story. This would gain them access to a NY6 bowl, something they are never going to do in a normal year with their normal independent schedule. They couldn't even do it with a horrid schedule this year and one of their better teams in the last 2 decades.
As they sit now the MW may be equal to the AAC. But the AAC with Boise is better than the MW without Boise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 27th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Distance isn’t the only factor in airline pricing. I wonder how much the jump would actually cost Boise. I don’t think hotels, meals or local coach services would increase that much.

If the travel line item increases 10-20% for Boise but they get a bigger jump in revenue maybe it’s worth it for them. That will be a financial decision for them.

I just don’t see it as worth it trying to keep them. We’ve already given them major sweet heart deals.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
JSHarvey

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » December 27th, 2020, 7:58 pm

The only way I'd support a move is if there is a jump in conference money. Really that's what it's all about. And honestly, if Boise jumps, the MW takes a hit in revenue. Boise jumps and we are able to jump with them we would be fools not to. This of course is all very hypothetical.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » December 27th, 2020, 8:01 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 3:50 pm
The poor NewMags.
There but by the grace of God...

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » December 27th, 2020, 8:28 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 6:36 pm
MaverickAggie wrote:No to the AAC. I much prefer the MWC. If Boise wants to go to the aac to die, be my guest. I like playing regional like minded institutions and sustaining rivalries. The MWC needs to start getting the NY6 bowl and the media attention that the aac has garnered.
If Boise goes to the AAC it wouldn’t be to die. They say they can make 4 million more

Short term they would be fine but I don't see it as a recipe for long term success. Boise built a fan base that expected to beat up on WAC teams annually. Since joining the MWC and the slight dip in dominance with higher competition has caused some stagnation among the fan base imo. That would worsen after a move to playing east coast teams with no better W/L pct. They recruit CA as heavy as anyone and get their higher rated players from there. I believe that recruiting pillar would take a hit when most your away games are back east. Olympic sports would likely take a hit. I get they would make more money but I do think its offset with travel and wouldn't mean anything if there was regression in their program.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 27th, 2020, 9:04 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 8:01 pm
USU78 wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 3:50 pm
The poor NewMags.
There but by the grace of God...
Indeed

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 27th, 2020, 9:06 pm

MaverickAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MaverickAggie wrote:No to the AAC. I much prefer the MWC. If Boise wants to go to the aac to die, be my guest. I like playing regional like minded institutions and sustaining rivalries. The MWC needs to start getting the NY6 bowl and the media attention that the aac has garnered.
If Boise goes to the AAC it wouldn’t be to die. They say they can make 4 million more

Short term they would be fine but I don't see it as a recipe for long term success. Boise built a fan base that expected to beat up on WAC teams annually. Since joining the MWC and the slight dip in dominance with higher competition has caused some stagnation among the fan base imo. That would worsen after a move to playing east coast teams with no better W/L pct. They recruit CA as heavy as anyone and get their higher rated players from there. I believe that recruiting pillar would take a hit when most your away games are back east. Olympic sports would likely take a hit. I get they would make more money but I do think its offset with travel and wouldn't mean anything if there was regression in their program.
I’d love for you to be right but I’m reminded of Aggie fans reveling at byu and independence, saying they were gonna die on the vine. Last time I checked byu is doing just fine. I imagine Boise would too in the AAC.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 27th, 2020, 11:40 pm

My 2 cents is simply that there is a real pursuit of creating that 6th power conference which this AAC story comes across as. This is nothing new if people remember around the time the Aggies were going from the WAC to MWC, and Boise State was trying to join AAC and trying to get AAC power conference status.
BYU
Utah State
Boise State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
USF
UCF
Memphis
Wichita State
East Carolina
Temple
And probably Colorado State
Navy
Cincinnati
I believe if this is successful in creating a 6th power conference then we should join.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 28th, 2020, 1:14 am

SLB wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 11:40 pm
My 2 cents is simply that there is a real pursuit of creating that 6th power conference which this AAC story comes across as. This is nothing new if people remember around the time the Aggies were going from the WAC to MWC, and Boise State was trying to join AAC and trying to get AAC power conference status.
BYU
Utah State
Boise State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
USF
UCF
Memphis
Wichita State
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati
I believe if this is successful in creating a 6th power conference then we should join.
I'm skeptical of the idea of a 6th power conference.

I dont see any combination of G5 schools that will turn a G5 conference into a "P-6th" conference. There is just that much of a difference in network, prestige, media, attendance, etc.

I think it's more likely UCF joins the ACC- or Memphis/Houston/UCF/Boise/USF join the Big 12 than rearranging chairs turns the G5 into into a 6th power conference.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 28th, 2020, 8:14 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 1:14 am
SLB wrote:
BYU
Utah State
Boise State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
USF
UCF
Memphis
Wichita State
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati

I dont see any combination of G5 schools that will turn a G5 conference into a "P-6th" conference. There is just that much of a difference in network, prestige, media, attendance, etc.

I think it's more likely UCF joins the ACC- or Memphis/Houston/UCF/Boise/USF join the Big 12 than rearranging chairs turns the G5 into into a 6th power conference.
There was 6 power conferences before the 5 power conferences.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 28th, 2020, 8:42 am

SLB wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:14 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
SLB wrote:
BYU
Utah State
Boise State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
USF
UCF
Memphis
Wichita State
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati

And how long did that last?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 28th, 2020, 8:59 am

Much more likely to be 4 or even 2 power conferences in the future than going back to 6.

The way I see it, one of two things are likely to happen in the next 5ish years, but change is coming.

1. We go through another reshuffle like in 2010 where the P5 conferences each try to get better, in this case either the Big 12 or the ACC gets totally raided goes the way of the Big East, and follow up by raiding the AAC but are still not a Power conference anymore. If this happens being in the AAC would be really bad for USU.

Option number 2(which I think is more likely). The top 28 to 36 P5 teams leave the NCAA for football and start a quasi-semi-pro league. Reshaping the rest of the college football conferences. The washington states, kansas states, and rutgers of the world are left out and find new homes. Either the MWC invites the pac 12 leftovers, or the pac 12 and big 12 leftovers split the MWC. In any event Utah State is better off staying in the MWC in this scenario too. Being in the top half of the MWC is better than being average in the AAC. Also, if the MWC is the one inviting the Pac rejects USU is much better being in the MWC.

The only reason USU should even consider going to the AAC is if Boise, byu and one other school (colorado state) also go and we are absolutely sure the conference landscape will stay the same in the future. However, the fact that we are having this conversation suggests that we all know that the landscape will continue to change.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 28th, 2020, 9:32 am

2004AG wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 9:06 pm
MaverickAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I’d love for you to be right but I’m reminded of Aggie fans reveling at byu and independence, saying they were gonna die on the vine. Last time I checked byu is doing just fine. I imagine Boise would too in the AAC.

They did great this year... except for losing the Sun Belt Championship to a team no one even realized had a FB program.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 28th, 2020, 9:46 am

SLB wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
SLB wrote:
BYU
Utah State
Boise State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
USF
UCF
Memphis
Wichita State
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati

There were! But the teams that made the big East viable as a power conference in football bolted to other P5 conferences- as well as the split up of the catholic 7 diluting the big East’s basketball strength.

The schools that remained from the big east were largely conference USA teams playing above their lane.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » December 28th, 2020, 10:02 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 9:46 am
SLB wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
SLB wrote:
BYU
Utah State
Boise State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
USF
UCF
Memphis
Wichita State
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati

There were! But the teams that made the big East viable as a power conference in football bolted to other P5 conferences- as well as the split up of the catholic 7 diluting the big East’s basketball strength.

The schools that remained from the big east were largely conference USA teams playing above their lane.
The AAC is trying to take Big East's mantle of being that 6th power conference (heck, they were created because of the Big East meltdown). It is possible with the COVID-19 madness and no big bowl games for MWC which creates an opportunity of the top MWC schools with the AAC combining into a super conference. BYU has always wanted to be in a power conference.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 28th, 2020, 10:10 am

ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MaverickAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

They did great this year... except for losing the Sun Belt Championship to a team no one even realized had a FB program.
Do they appear to be dying on the vine to you ?

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 28th, 2020, 10:39 am

Only MWC school that I've heard has any interest in joining the AAC is Boise State.

I doubt BYU has any interest. I HIGHLY doubt that USU has any interest. USU has a good, stable situation in the MWC. What happens if the AAC loses two schools to the BIG12?

Now, I am sort of curious what CSU and Air Force might be thinking.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 28th, 2020, 11:16 am

2004AG wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 10:10 am
ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MaverickAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Do they appear to be dying on the vine to you ?

Ybu had no marque wins this year, almost lost to Texas San Antonio, got beat by a Sun Belt school, a full strength USU team would have had a similar record. Ybu has no P5 wins, and Covid 2020 will always have an asterisks by it.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggieBlues

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » December 29th, 2020, 5:56 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
Meh...

I like the MWC. I like playing Wyoming, CSU, Air Force, New Mexico, Nevada, etc. I am also not a fan of selling out all of the other sports just so the football team can still be a member of a G5 conference with very few regional rivals. Now if the AAC were willing to perhaps throw another MWC school into the mix, like Colorado State, and make this an all sports invite, I would be much more willing to go along. You could even have BYU leave its other sports in the WCC, and keep Wichita State as its non-football replacement.

Imagine this:
EAST
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
Tulane

WEST
Boise State
BYU/Wichita State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Utah State

Houston, SMU and Tulsa should come to the MW.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 30th, 2020, 9:40 am

JSHarvey wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 9:35 pm
If I got to vote (which I don't) I would vote "No Way!"

To much travel, no regional rivals.

The MWC is a good fit, with or without Boise

JS,, you cover the bases nicely with your comments. Thank you.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 30th, 2020, 10:26 am

BigBlueBlood wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 5:56 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
Meh...

Imagine this:
EAST
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
Tulane

WEST
Boise State
BYU/Wichita State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Utah State

I wouldn't put it past Hair to be working on something like this.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 30th, 2020, 10:34 am

ViAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 10:26 am
BigBlueBlood wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Meh...

Imagine this:
EAST
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
Tulane

WEST
Boise State
BYU/Wichita State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Utah State

We already tried something "like this"...it was called WAC16. That's a big NO THANKS from me. I hope we never go that route again. Tulsa, SMU, Rice, etc. don't add enough value to offset the destabilization and decrease of overall geographical "fit" and regional interest, IMO. Houston is a possible exception....

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 30th, 2020, 10:47 am

Should the Tater Zoobs split and take the Actual Zoobs with them, we'll be just fine.

Having 11 in football and 10 in basketball is not a tragedy, with the only loss being (possibly) the loss of a FB divisional playoff game. There are plenty of schools out there to choose from whether it's low-hanging fruit like the NewMags and UTEP, FCS rising stars like No Dakota St or the Montana twins, a MVC conference FB wannabe like Wichita St, or Red River/Old SWC types like Houston, Tulsa, and the like. The important thing is that we don't need to rush. The Big 10/11/14 is a good example for us. When the TV-driven expansion frenzy hit, they were patient and methodical.

I don't like the essentially 2 conference configuration they arrived at, but they didn't rush things and picked up some gems like Nebraska and Maryland and Rutgers to make their TV masters happy. IF the Tater Zoobs leave and the balance of the conference remains the same, we'll be fine.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
BearLakeMonster

AGGIEinIOWA

Interesting Development

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 30th, 2020, 10:59 am

Too bad UTEP stinks so bad. They are in our regional footprint as they are located west of Laramie, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs. They also host a bowl game that we could possibly get a tie-in.

I guess they aren’t too bad in hoops. They did beat Arizona State a week or two ago.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 30th, 2020, 11:45 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 10:34 am
ViAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 10:26 am
BigBlueBlood wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Meh...

Imagine this:
EAST
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
Tulane

WEST
Boise State
BYU/Wichita State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Utah State

We already tried something "like this"...it was called WAC16. That's a big NO THANKS from me. I hope we never go that route again. Tulsa, SMU, Rice, etc. don't add enough value to offset the destabilization and decrease of overall geographical "fit" and regional interest, IMO. Houston is a possible exception....
This theoretical matchup still won't get us anywhere near a power status. The P5's have that locked so tight they won't allow it to happen. More importantly, I don't want BYU in our same conference. I know there are differing opinions on this very subject, but I'm one to believe that having BYU in our same conference does nothing for USU and possibly hurts USU even more than the current in-state situations do. So NO THANKS to entertaining any ideas of adding the Zoobs to our conference.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 30th, 2020, 2:29 pm

The entire thing is a farce.

Until the G5's collectively band together they will always be on the outside looking in.... like sad merchant's trying to be invited to the Aristocrats ball. Maybe one of the fish peddlers will be invited each year, but certainly no more than that, lest the Aristocrats have to smell their awfulness.

G5's should just band together a National Championship of their own. What would really stick it to the P5 would be a 16 team G5 playoff each year. Talk about showing it can be done, and stealing some of their thunder.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
USU78AggieBluesSlim80

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 30th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Until the G5's collectively band together they will always be on the outside looking in.... like sad merchant's trying to be invited to the Aristocrats ball. Maybe one of the fish peddlers will be invited each year, but certainly no more than that, lest the Aristocrats have to smell their awfulness.

G5's should just band together a National Championship of their own. What would really stick it to the P5 would be a 16 team G5 playoff each year. Talk about showing it can be done, and stealing some of their thunder.
Now that is a great idea. I could get behind that!
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
AggieBlues

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » December 30th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Slim80 wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Now that is a great idea. I could get behind that!
I, too, agree. Let's get this done.

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

AGGIEinIOWA

Interesting Development

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 30th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Personally I like being part of the top football league because I think as soon as the P5 separates from the G5, or vice versa, the G5 basically then just becomes FCS A. That being said, I don’t like it how it currently is either. I wish:
- the playoff could be expanded so every FBS team has a path to the championship. 16 team playoff. The winner of every conference (10) plus 6 at large teams.
- level the playing field through scholarship limits. This would prevent top echelon teams from signing and stashing all the best players.
- I’d love to see conferences focus on regionality and traditional rivalries.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 30th, 2020, 4:50 pm

I’m not so sure this would stick it to the p5. Does the fcs playoff stick it to the g5 teams?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 30th, 2020, 5:01 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Meh...

Imagine this:
EAST
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
Tulane

WEST
Boise State
BYU/Wichita State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Utah State

Guys USU will not get invited to any conference making a effort to be P- 6. We have a tiny share in the T.V. market, we have the smallest stadium of the western FBS schools. The smallest budget of any of the schools mentioned, no commercial air service. I just hope the MWC stay's together so we have a good home.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 3):
Aggie19Slim80AggiePT

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 30th, 2020, 5:38 pm

I don't see any marquee school names that could command national name recognition except for (BYU...Money, Lemming fan loyalty and devious Cunning) and of course Boise State (recently acquired national exposure and the finances to elevate to that level)

Both schools have SOME OF WHAT IT TAKES for a national footprint, but not enough to regularly compete or have hats in the mall. USC, Stanford, Ohio State, Auburn, Alabama, Texas, Texas A & M, Florida, Oregon and Michigan are some of the regulars on the national scene. What we don't see regularly would be Rutgers, Pitt, North Carolina, Utah, Colorado, ASU and Washington.. It's really about historically deep pockets

If the BIG 12 breaks up I could see Boise and BYU lobbying for membership in a start up P 5 level conference,,,or a continuation of a form of the BIG 12. Beyond this, enjoy what we have, grow with the realities and limitations upon us and carry on. ALL HAT AND NO CATTLE IS THE MANTRA HERE.

Locked Previous topicNext topic