Who are our assistant coaches? Anyone heard

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGIEinIOWA

Re: Who are our assistant coaches? Anyone heard

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 28th, 2020, 9:41 pm

To be fair, the Minutemen have been awful ever since jumping to FBS 9 years ago, which was long before Micah James got there. 1 and 2 win seasons have been the norm other than a couple 3 and 4 win seasons sprinkled in there. The highlight of their FBS existence was their 16-10 win over BYU in 2017. Anderson and Tucker must see something that the record doesn’t show. They have both worked with him before and must have confidence in him to hire him to coach one of the most important position groups on the team.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 28th, 2020, 9:48 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:51 pm
Doesn't inspire much confidence...

"The Minutemen replaced offensive line coach Jim Jackson after their first game against Georgia Southern, promoting assistant Micah James to the position. Though major improvements didn’t occur after the coaching change, the move signals a philosophy shift that UMass hopes will have long term benefits. After all, the Minutemen have some experienced talent on the offensive line in Larnel Coleman and Dalton Tomlinson, though two decent players mean nothing when the unit cannot function effectively. Moving away from the dual-offensive line coach structure should provide some more consistency moving forward, and if UMass wants to become the hard-nosed team Bell says they want to be, consistency will be needed"

https://dailycollegian.com/2020/12/mcge ... from-here/
“Though major improvements didn’t occur...” :lol:

A for effort!

Man, if you guys want to see a sad and dreary bunch, head over to the UMASS forum. Makes me feel grateful for what we’ve got.

Would have been good to get someone with some experience rather than taking a flyer on the interim OL coach at the worst program in the country. Hopefully this was just a talented young guy in a hopeless, unsalvageable situation that needed a fresh start.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 28th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Georgia Southern, Liberty, FAU and Marshall are all bowl teams, no? In a season that basically doesn't matter.

Who would you hire? I'm by no means an expert on offensive line coaches- and for sure if anyone knows anyone better then feel free to call up BA and air your grievance. He sure doesn't have enough to worry about right now.

In a year if the offensive line is garbage then by all means take your victory lap- but give the guy a chance in the here & now. Not just the incoming coach but also give BA a chance. Let him build his staff.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 28th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 9:57 pm
Georgia Southern, Liberty, FAU and Marshall are all bowl teams, no? In a season that basically doesn't matter.

Who would you hire? I'm by no means an expert on offensive line coaches- and for sure if anyone knows anyone better then feel free to call up BA and air your grievance. He sure doesn't have enough to worry about right now.

In a year if the offensive line is garbage then by all means take your victory lap- but give the guy a chance in the here & now. Not just the incoming coach but also give BA a chance. Let him build his staff.
No one has expressed that Micah James should not be given a chance, only disappointment that we did not hire someone with more experience and past success for a critical staff position. I hope he kills it here.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 28th, 2020, 10:43 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 10:01 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 9:57 pm

No one has expressed that Micah James should not be given a chance, only disappointment that we did not hire someone with more experience and past success for a critical staff position. I hope he kills it here.
I guess I just wish we had more faith in Blake Anderson that he knows a lot of things that I dont- that's why he gets the big bucks. Looking at Coach James' resume he has ties to both UCF and Arkansas State.

But even if I looked at 2 resumes - I wouldn't know how to evaluate them anyway.

If I just looked at a resume and

Resume A had 5 years in the PAC12/B1G and 7 years in G5 conferences. where he won bowl games and protected Doak Walker award winner.

Resume B had a few years as a few years as a grad assistant and a couple years as an Oline coach...

Resume A is clearly more impressive- but I'm sure you know that Resume A is approx TJ Woods and Resume B is approx Micah James.

If anything, I'm impressed with how quickly Micah James has climbed the ladder.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 28th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:55 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:53 pm
splintorb wrote:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:46 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:39 pm
I don’t want to be a wet blanket, but this OL hire does not thrill me. UMASS is abysmal. One of maybe a handful of teams that was demonstrably worse than us. They scored 12 points this season, and one of those scores was a safety.
12 points a game or 12 for the whole season?
12 on the season...1 touchdown on the season...
A 4 game season but still.
We didn't have too many td's this season as well, but still i think we could have done better. Maybe he is going to be awesome, but it is for sure a hire to be nervous about.
Yeah that is a cause for concern. You bring up our lack of touchdowns and it isn't like our staff is in hot demand right now.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 29th, 2020, 6:08 am

It looks pike he was the co-offensive line coach. How common is that? Any chance he will be co-offensive line coach here?

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 29th, 2020, 7:25 am

Mark Weber had a ton of experience...
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
USU78BustaMcNutt

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 29th, 2020, 7:29 am

newhouse9 wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 7:25 am
Mark Weber had a ton of experience...
Washington State fans were super excited to get him last year because he has a ton of experience. I just chuckled inside. At least he gives us a chance to win in Pullman next year.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » December 29th, 2020, 8:29 am

Not saying this is the case, but if more money was committed to the coordinators (hopefully keeping them longer) would you be better with less expensive/experienced position coaches?

Not saying this is the case, but I think that could be a good way to build a staff and potentially keep the coordinators in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

Donman

Post by Donman » December 29th, 2020, 8:39 am

Do we know he is the line coach or an assistant line coach?

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 29th, 2020, 9:22 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
splintorb wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 9:09 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 9:00 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:55 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:53 pm
splintorb wrote:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:46 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:39 pm
I don’t want to be a wet blanket, but this OL hire does not thrill me. UMASS is abysmal. One of maybe a handful of teams that was demonstrably worse than us. They scored 12 points this season, and one of those scores was a safety.
12 points a game or 12 for the whole season?
12 on the season...1 touchdown on the season...
A 4 game season but still.
We didn't have too many td's this season as well, but still i think we could have done better. Maybe he is going to be awesome, but it is for sure a hire to be nervous about.
4 games as a interim offensive line coach and a year as an assistant.... really nervous.
That makes me extremely nervous...I...just dunno how I feel about this one.
nervous is how it should make us feel. To me O-line is the one position coach that has to be a home run hire. Running backs and tight ends you can get away with having first year coaches or less experienced coaches, but O-line you need to have someone with a lot more experience. Maybe it is just me being negative.
Our best O Line coach the last 20 years came with the least amount of experience, our worst was a well traveled journeyman, our second worst was our best, but 8 years older.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Hail Aggies!

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » December 29th, 2020, 1:13 pm

We don't even know if he will coach OL here.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 29th, 2020, 1:56 pm

It is one thing to look at a resume, but quite another to know somebody, and what they can do.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 29th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Miami plays their bowl game today
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
BLUERUFiO

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 29th, 2020, 9:18 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 3:21 pm
Miami plays their bowl game today
I'm very interested to see if Banda becomes official soon.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 30th, 2020, 9:34 am

Considering the excellent B B hire Hartwell made I would expect the same insight prevailed this time with Coach Anderson from Arky State. After the earlier so called "splash" hire failed to arrive, it seems to me Hartwell made an excellent choice. Having said this I would expect that Coach Anderson doesn't hire dregs or suffer fools to coach for him.

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » December 30th, 2020, 10:16 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:Considering the excellent B B hire Hartwell made I would expect the same insight prevailed this time with Coach Anderson from Arky State. After the earlier so called "splash" hire failed to arrive, it seems to me Hartwell made an excellent choice. Having said this I would expect that Coach Anderson doesn't hire dregs or suffer fools to coach for him.
The fact he’s bringing nobody from his S&C and defensive staff shows me he has made some bad hires.

Hail Aggies!

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 30th, 2020, 10:21 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 10:16 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:Considering the excellent B B hire Hartwell made I would expect the same insight prevailed this time with Coach Anderson from Arky State. After the earlier so called "splash" hire failed to arrive, it seems to me Hartwell made an excellent choice. Having said this I would expect that Coach Anderson doesn't hire dregs or suffer fools to coach for him.
The fact he’s bringing nobody from his S&C and defensive staff shows me he has made some bad hires.

OR...he did the best he could with the resources he had but now has the resources to aim higher...
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post (total 2):
splintorboleblu111

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » January 1st, 2021, 12:43 pm

I'm not sure if we want Banda as DC if the rumors are true. He might be able to recruit but his defences are garbage.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 1st, 2021, 1:24 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 12:43 pm
I'm not sure if we want Banda as DC if the rumors are true. He might be able to recruit but his defences are garbage.
Miami’s defense isn’t his and they’ve been consistently very good if not near the top of the country in yards per play allowed, ppg allowed, tackles for loss and sacks until this year when the wheels fell off a bit
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
BLUERUFiO

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » January 1st, 2021, 7:15 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 10:16 am

OR...he did the best he could with the resources he had but now has the resources to aim higher...
Yeah, hard to make great works of art with Dollar Tree craft products, good point.

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic