What's our QB Situation

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGIEinIOWA

What's our QB Situation

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 21st, 2020, 12:56 pm

With Shelley gone we know we need to bring in at least one more QB just to fill up the QB room. We seem to lack experience at that position, other than a handful of games that Peasley played this season, so do you think bringing in an upperclassman transfer would be the plan? Also, of the current QB's, how many of them fit what BA wants for his system? Maybe he'll be counseling someone out and looking to sign more than one. :noidea: Personally I like Peasley and hope he stays and battles for the starter spot. Would like to see what Legas and Calvin can do too.

BA's co-starter at Arky State is in the portal (Logan Bonner). Do we sign him? Decent numbers over the past 2 seasons (60% comp, 28/7 for TD/Int, and 137.5 rating both years).

The Utah QB situation seems to be very overcrowded with them signing two new QB's this week and the other 5 on their roster still having eligibility. I'm still surprised they landed the Baylor kid. Many seem to think Jake Bentley and Drew Lisk won't be Ute's next season. Would we have any interest in them?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: What's our QB Situation

Post by brownjeans » December 21st, 2020, 1:16 pm

Unless we're bringing in a star transfer/JC QB who is amazing in talent and leadership skills, I'd rather we recruit a Freshman QB and not throw a spark into a volatile solution.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
troutputzAggiePT

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 21st, 2020, 1:20 pm

I tend to agree. I think that Peasley and Legas are just fine if they have decent coaches around them.

They didn't last year.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
IdaAg93

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 21st, 2020, 1:24 pm

I think we need a QB in the worst way.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 4):
BustaMcNuttBLUERUFiOAggieFBObsessionAglicious

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 21st, 2020, 1:25 pm

After watching SJSU, Nevada, and Boise State play one realizes how far behind USU is in their pass throwers and pass catchers (among other groups). The Aggies have a long way to go.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » December 21st, 2020, 1:31 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:25 pm
After watching SJSU, Nevada, and Boise State play one realizes how far behind USU is in their pass throwers and pass catchers (among other groups). The Aggies have a long way to go.
I agree 1000%. We look extremely behind in the WR receiver department. We have some good slot guys, but that is it.
These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 21st, 2020, 1:32 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:25 pm
Starkel at SJSU is a good example of what bringing in an experienced transfer that fits your system can do. They don't always work out but I think if BA makes it a true QB battle and doesn't play favorites, a team can get behind whomever wins the spot. Like what Boise did. The USC kid came in but Bachmeier beat him out, which you can live with.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 21st, 2020, 1:33 pm

Peasely showed me in the New Mexico game that he has the potential to be a elite qb. He made some amazing throws and was able to pick apart their defense. Then when they respected the pass he burned them with his legs.

He just needs more time to develop, a better scheme to work with, and better protection.

Honestly, unless you can get a proven starter who will come in an put up big numbers immediately, I say we stick with the options we have.

And please, no more qb's from the U.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleJSHarvey

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 21st, 2020, 1:36 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:33 pm
Peasely showed me in the New Mexico game that he has the potential to be a elite qb. He made some amazing throws and was able to pick apart their defense. Then when they respected the pass he burned them with his legs.

He just needs more time to develop, a better scheme to work with, and better protection.

Honestly, unless you can get a proven starter who will come in an put up big numbers immediately, I say we stick with the options we have.

And receivers that can get open and catch the ball.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:Peasely showed me in the New Mexico game that he has the potential to be a elite qb. He made some amazing throws and was able to pick apart their defense. Then when they respected the pass he burned them with his legs.

1- The New Mexico game was a sample size of one

2- it was New Mexico

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiiaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 21st, 2020, 1:43 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:Peasely showed me in the New Mexico game that he has the potential to be a elite qb. He made some amazing throws and was able to pick apart their defense. Then when they respected the pass he burned them with his legs.

2- it was New Mexico

And against a better team he was every bit as bad as Shelley

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 21st, 2020, 1:45 pm

Sorry guys, I think we need a starting QB in the worst way.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
AggieFBObsession

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 21st, 2020, 1:46 pm

If Peasley is head and shoulders above Legas and Calvin (assumed because they never even got a single snap), we very much need a solid transfer QB. Peasley (or the other two) may be good with time, but they're not ready yet.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 21st, 2020, 1:51 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:46 pm
If Peasley is head and shoulders above Legas and Calvin (assumed because they never even got a single snap), we very much need a solid transfer QB. Peasley (or the other two) may be good with time, but they're not ready yet.
That is a pretty big IF... Does anyone trust the previous coaching staff to determine who was actually better? They played Shelley for 4 games.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 6):
Sl7vk3rdGenAggieBustaMcNuttBLUERUFiOaggies22aggieguy13

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 21st, 2020, 1:54 pm

2004AG wrote:

2- it was New Mexico

Sample size is a statistical argument. I'm more referring to the eye test and potential of what he could become.

Even though he was playing against UNM, the throws he made were ones you see from elite qb's. Especially the TD he threw to Mcgriff in the third quarter.

Not saying he didn't suck in the other games. I'm saying that he can develop into a top 3 qb in the conference.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 21st, 2020, 1:55 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:54 pm
2004AG wrote:

2- it was New Mexico

Sample size is a statistical argument. I'm more referring to the eye test and potential of what he could become.

Even though he was playing against UNM, the throws he made were ones you see from elite qb's. Especially the TD he threw to Mcgriff in the third quarter.

Not saying he didn't suck in the other games. I'm saying that he can develop into a top 3 qb in the conference.

What did your eye test tell you about his performance in the Air Force game? And the other games when he got a series or two?

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 21st, 2020, 1:58 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:55 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

2- it was New Mexico

What did your eye test tell you about his performance in the Air Force game? And the other games when he got a series or two?
That he's young and the opponent was getting a solid pass rush only rushing 4 players.

I hate to break it to you guys, but replacing Peasley isn't going to solve the issues of our offense.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 21st, 2020, 1:59 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:58 pm
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

2- it was New Mexico

That he's young and the opponent was getting a solid pass rush only rushing 4 players.

I hate to break it to you guys, but replacing Peasley isn't going to solve the issues of our offense.
He's not really that young. Hasn't he been in the program for three years?

Not saying it would, but it would be a hell of a start..........

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 21st, 2020, 2:04 pm

2004AG wrote:
The Air Force game was a sample size of one.

Seriously though, I think we had a very conservative offensive game plan vs. Air Force. Frank basically said as much in post-game. I hate ball-control and running clock as an offensive game plan. Offense should be aggressive, creative and have one objective - score points.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
JSHarvey

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 21st, 2020, 2:12 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:59 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:58 pm
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

2- it was New Mexico

He's not really that young. Hasn't he been in the program for three years?

Not saying it would, but it would be a hell of a start..........
First year he was a scout qb. Second year he was out with an ACL for one of those and this was his second game as a starter. He's still in the "young" category.

I don't think it would be a start. It would just create a carousel of chaos rotating different qbs and not addressing the root of the problem. Improving pass protection, getting better weapons (or at least improving the guys we have), and getting a better offensive scheme are the real issues of our offense. If we don't fix those, we will never have a quality quarterback.

There's a reason Jordan Love struggled his final year here. And if he had a hard time playing well and running a good offense, then no body we would want to bring in as a transfer will.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
JSHarvey

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 21st, 2020, 2:16 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 1:45 pm
I agree. Peasley has some strengths an makes some great throws. He is no where near consistent enough to be the starter to a good team. We can hope he improves, but hope isn't a plan. We need to bring in people at QB more than any other position on the team IMO.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 21st, 2020, 2:17 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 2:16 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I agree. Peasley has some strengths an makes some great throws. He is no where near consistent enough to be the starter to a good team. We can hope he improves, but hope isn't a plan. We need to bring in people at QB more than any other position on the team IMO.
WR is a bigger concern than QB. Especially with Thompkins gone
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 21st, 2020, 2:23 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 2:17 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
WR is a concern, but it won't matter how good they are if the ball isn't thrown anywhere near them. We could have NFL caliber WRs all over the field right now and not move the ball consistently because we are so poor at QB. You all are overvaluing what Peasley brings because he is here already. He has a lot to prove to me about being consistent with his throwing ability before I will be comfortable with him. He looked great against UNM. He looked horrible in every other appearance with the exception of the first drive against AFA. These were cases of not getting the ball out and not getting it near the open receiver when it did come out. He has potential, but not enough to bank on. In Jordan Love's first games you could see the accuracy that he brought. I have seen nothing close to that from Peasley.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiO

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 21st, 2020, 2:28 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 2:23 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 2:17 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
WR is a concern, but it won't matter how good they are if the ball isn't thrown anywhere near them. We could have NFL caliber WRs all over the field right now and not move the ball consistently because we are so poor at QB. You all are overvaluing what Peasley brings because he is here already. He has a lot to prove to me about being consistent with his throwing ability before I will be comfortable with him. He looked great against UNM. He looked horrible in every other appearance with the exception of the first drive against AFA. These were cases of not getting the ball out and not getting it near the open receiver when it did come out. He has potential, but not enough to bank on. In Jordan Love's first games you could see the accuracy that he brought. I have seen nothing close to that from Peasley.
Thanks Gary.

I realize that Colombi is "the one who got away" and can do no wrong in our eyes, but it's painfully obvious he would have been a solid D1 QB this year and for the next 2.

The other 3 may be great, but that's still yet to be seen.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 21st, 2020, 2:31 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 2:04 pm
2004AG wrote:

Seriously though, I think we had a very conservative offensive game plan vs. Air Force. Frank basically said as much in post-game. I hate ball-control and running clock as an offensive game plan. Offense should be aggressive, creative and have one objective - score points.
I'm not the one saying he is going to be "elite". And did you miss the part where I brought up his performance in other games?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 21st, 2020, 2:34 pm

Peasley can be a solid backup. We need to bring in someone who can start and sling it around. If we want to win we need better play at multiple positions but especially QB play.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 21st, 2020, 2:43 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 2:31 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 2:04 pm
2004AG wrote:

I'm not the one saying he is going to be "elite". And did you miss the part where I brought up his performance in other games?
"Seriously though" was meant to imply that what preceded was a joke.

usujazz

Post by usujazz » December 21st, 2020, 2:53 pm

Peasley has not done enough to say we have a starting quarterback for next year. Anderson needs to bring someone else in to compete. If Peasley is able to win the starting job next year I will support him 100%

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 21st, 2020, 3:00 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:

You mean third-string safties?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 3:00 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:

You mean third-string safties?
Interestingly, hasn't Utah brought in two more transfers at QB? Including the Baylor QB?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 21st, 2020, 3:12 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 2:34 pm
Peasley can be a solid backup. We need to bring in someone who can start and sling it around. If we want to win we need better play at multiple positions but especially QB play.
I'm not sure what constitutes "a solid backup" quarterback. Is it holding a clipboard and relaying signs to a starting quarterback? Walking through defensive formations and schemes with the starting quarterback while the offense is sitting out? Or is it actually on-field play? If it is the stuff on the field, how is a solid backup determined? I would think he should have all of the skills of a starting quarterback and be ready to go when called upon in the case of injury

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 21st, 2020, 3:28 pm

Bringing in some more WR weapons to surround whomever the QB is will be key. If you don't bring in more weapons then might as well play Peasley because he can at least create with his feet to compensate. Problem is that he isn't a consistent passer, so if we get more weapons we need someone who can put them in the best position to make plays.

Many of you are saying only bring in a transfer if they are proven..... but don't bring in another one from Utah. Well if it came down to Bentley, who proved himself as a 3 year starter in the SEC, or go with Peasley, who do you take? Bentley hasn't played much in the last couple years though. Utah is seemingly giving up on him but remember that Utah runs a much different offense than what Anderson wants to run. Also, the Bonner kid from Arky State has 4-5 times more game reps than Peasley and is well versed in Anderson's system. TBH I'd rather we find a transfer that is even better and more game ready for Anderson's system than Bentley or Bonner, but I'm not sure that is going to happen.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 21st, 2020, 3:48 pm

No on Bonner from Arkansas State.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 21st, 2020, 3:55 pm

I'm usually in the competition-rules-all camp. I never want any position to have a predetermined starter. I feel doing so doesn't stimulate development. You have to have a culture that cultivates and honors competition and regularly re-evaluates and rewards progress.

So while I want an open competition for the starting QB position, I want to be cautious of bringing in an upperclassman.
If a new upperclassman's talent and personality doesn't get the entire team to trust and accept them as their starting QB, we may be better off bringing in the best Freshman QB we can find instead of an upperclassman QB.
I don't want to recycle the QB circumstances we had this past season.

I'm not interested in bringing in a transfer QB who wasn't a starter and wasn't great. Utah backup QBs? No way - why would we want a QB from there when their starters aren't impressive?

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 21st, 2020, 4:00 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 3:48 pm
No on Bonner from Arkansas State.
Meaning he is not coming, or you don’t want him?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic