Hans Olsen tweet about Maile

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Hans Olsen tweet about Maile

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 10:56 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:42 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:15 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:07 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 6:17 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 6:09 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 6:07 pm
stang wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:29 pm
And Patagonia donates 1% totally for altruistic reasons and not manipulative PR.
You think that Frank just "donated" 20,000 to make himself look good to some journalists and people on message boards? GTFO.
PR goes beyond message boards and journalists.
And what if he received the bonus and gave it BEFORE any need for PR?

Or what if he did it, didn't say anything to anyone, and one of the assistants told Hans?
I’m only saying I’m skeptical.

And even if it were an assistant that went to the media, they did it to make maile look good. Going public is absolutely a publicity stunt.
So Maile's kindness should be discredited because someone else talked about it?
Maybe Christians should reconsider the atonement. People have been writng about that for centuries.

Throwing stones at kindness is stupid. I don't care the reasons. We could use a lot more kindness.
It isn't about kindness. A guy who didn't have his team play in their final game shouldn't be getting bonuses. He should be giving back a chunk of his paycheck.
Regardless, he was paid a bonus, and gave it to the assistants. Nice job.
I don't know why he did it but it makes the most sense that he did it because he cares for, and appreciates, those men and knows they are looking for work and could use it.
Great. Hope he wasn't paid a portion of his salary where he supported players boycotting a game. If he took the money after that, I am not going to pretend he was some saint worthy of praise. If you don't do your job, you shouldn't get paid for that job.

stang

Post by stang » December 18th, 2020, 10:59 pm

December 18th, 2020, 10:40 pm
stang wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:26 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
stang wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
And Patagonia donates 1% totally for altruistic reasons and not manipulative PR.
You think that Frank just "donated" 20,000 to make himself look good to some journalists and people on message boards? GTFO.

Or what if he did it, didn't say anything to anyone, and one of the assistants told Hans?

And even if it were an assistant that went to the media, they did it to make maile look good. Going public is absolutely a publicity stunt.
Maybe Christians should reconsider the atonement. People have been writng about that for centuries.

Throwing stones at kindness is stupid. I don't care the reasons. We could use a lot more kindness.
It isn't about kindness. A guy who didn't have his team play in their final game shouldn't be getting bonuses. He should be giving back a chunk of his paycheck.
I believe "bonus" is not the correct term in this case. From my understanding, the $20K was essentially his compensation for taking on interim head coaching duties, on top of his defensive coordinator duties and paycheck. I believe it was something he was contractually owed for stepping up and taking on the interim title.

I could be off base on this, but that's my understanding.
Ok, but did he get his full contract for last year when his team didn't play in their final game? He shouldn't if it is true that he supported his players not playing.
Coaches are not paid on a per game basis. I understand the frustration, and I'm sure Utah State would have loved to have not paid him. You can't just choose not to pay an employee though just because you don't like something they did.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 18th, 2020, 11:02 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
stang wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I'm fully within reason to be skeptical with this specific case when I already suspect he has been pulling strings and when he has a financial incentive to do so. Winning the PR war is the most important thing for him right now.

Had it come out naturally, and if Maile didn't come across as conniving and manipulative- I would not have suggested that I suspect it. They wont even say what was actually said. Restricting access to information is textbook manipulation.

I didn't say it wasn't a "nice thing". He gave his friends money. Nice. That's where my kudos for him ends.

It's a "nice" thing that Patagonia donates to restoring nature. But I'm not fooling myself that Patagonia's doing so out of the goodness of their hearts as opposed to appeal to its target customers. Which is all I said from the beginning until you and Stang needed to get all pissy.

stang

Post by stang » December 18th, 2020, 11:04 pm

December 18th, 2020, 10:56 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:42 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
stang wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Regardless, he was paid a bonus, and gave it to the assistants. Nice job.
I don't know why he did it but it makes the most sense that he did it because he cares for, and appreciates, those men and knows they are looking for work and could use it.
Great. Hope he wasn't paid a portion of his salary where he supported players boycotting a game. If he took the money after that, I am not going to pretend he was some saint worthy of praise. If you don't do your job, you shouldn't get paid for that job.
You're acting like coaches are hired and paid like normal people, which isn't the case. Coaches are often paid millions and millions of dollars simply to not do their jobs. Unless there is something in the contract which specifically talks about boycotted games (which there's not), and there is proof that Frank led the boycott (which there's not), it's not a choice for the university.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 18th, 2020, 11:04 pm

December 18th, 2020, 10:56 pm
Well he gave it away so he didn't profit at all. So you don't need worry.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
ElkaggieTransplantedSpud

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 11:08 pm

stang wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:59 pm
stang wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
stang wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I believe "bonus" is not the correct term in this case. From my understanding, the $20K was essentially his compensation for taking on interim head coaching duties, on top of his defensive coordinator duties and paycheck. I believe it was something he was contractually owed for stepping up and taking on the interim title.

Ok, but did he get his full contract for last year when his team didn't play in their final game? He shouldn't if it is true that he supported his players not playing.
Coaches are not paid on a per game basis. I understand the frustration, and I'm sure Utah State would have loved to have not paid him. You can't just choose not to pay an employee though just because you don't like something they did.
And that is a problem. You should be able to not pay an employee when they chose not to do what is obviously a major part of their job description. It is a bit bigger than just not liking what he did. He supported cancelling a game. If Lance Anderson refuses to go play at unlv next year do we also have no problem with him getting paid?

And I know coaches don't get paid like normal people, but this is a thread praising Maile. I don't believe he deserves a ton of praise when he supported a player boycott. His job was to get his team ready to play and then coach them in football games. He did not do that.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 18th, 2020, 11:08 pm

stang wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:59 pm
stang wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
stang wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

The tweet claims it was a bonus. Most bonuses I've seen do have clawback provisions for conduct that is unbecoming.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 18th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Good move by Maile. Given every scenario I have heard, it is not on him that the players opted out. That being said, not a fan of his comments after the fact.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 18th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Yeah you guys blasting him for this are right. How dare he give money to guys who are looking for jobs right before Christmas.

Total dick move
Last edited by brownjeans on December 20th, 2020, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
ElkaggiePNW_AggieTransplantedSpud

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 18th, 2020, 11:13 pm

UStateTim wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:56 pm
I heard Coach Anderson on DJ and PK say he wanted to retain Maile
Had not heard this but it is one more indicator that we got the right guy.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 11:15 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:12 pm
Yeah you guys boarding him for this are right. How dare he give money to guys who are looking for jobs right before Christmas.

Total dick move
That is great. I'm just not going to overly praise a guy who didn't have his team ready to play a football game when that is his job. If they listened to him and respected him as much as they claim, they would have gone out and played hard for him against Colorado State.

The best way to have shown he was the right man for the job would have been to play hard and beat CSU, which wasn't some super impossible task. CSU wasn't that good this year.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Imakeitrain

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 19th, 2020, 12:33 am

I just wanna know if Reeder got any

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 19th, 2020, 7:50 am

December 18th, 2020, 11:15 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:12 pm
Yeah you guys boarding him for this are right. How dare he give money to guys who are looking for jobs right before Christmas.

Total dick move
That is great.
Fixed it for you - because no one is praising him for things they shouldn't.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 19th, 2020, 8:04 am

Do the guys who are bashing Frank realize how bad your making the fan base look? Your feeding the stereotype beast that plagues Logan to the outside world. Not a good look for people not from cache valley or even Utah this thread needs to die or get moved to the sandbox, along with a couple other topics in the football fourm.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 19th, 2020, 8:42 am

It makes no sense. No one has any evidence at all that Frank has done anything they accuse him of doing.
He may have done it all and more, it’s just massively stupid to have such a strong opinion about something you know nothing about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » December 19th, 2020, 8:47 am

Hans Olsen coming in hot with the Frank Maile PR Hail Mary!

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 19th, 2020, 9:22 am

There is actually plenty of evidence that doesn’t shine Frank in the best light.
Pontificating about how proud he was that the team stood up for him by not playing the CSU game was game set and match for me.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
USU78PIGSKINAGGIE

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 19th, 2020, 9:36 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 9:22 am
There is actually plenty of evidence that doesn’t shine Frank in the best light.
Pontificating about how proud he was that the team stood up for him by not playing the CSU game was game set and match for me.
So you took a statement by Maile and assumed the worst...
I think I read something about a football team doing something similar with a university president recently.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
TransplantedSpud

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 19th, 2020, 9:52 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 9:36 am
Sl7vk wrote:
I think I read something about a football team doing something similar with a university president recently.
The difference is that we have a factual statement, whereas we have nothing but conjecture and shadowy statements regarding the University president. If you can't see the difference, then I'm sorry for you.

Please enlighten me to how you read Frank's statement, taken verbatim.
“As disheartened as I am to learn that this kind of religious and cultural bias exists (because I am Polynesian) at Utah State University, I am equally heart-broken for my players – many of whom are seniors who were preparing for the last game of their collegiate experience. I want to express my upmost respect and admiration for their decision to stand up for what they believe in — and I’m truly honored that they would stand up for me.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 19th, 2020, 10:00 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 8:42 am
It makes no sense. No one has any evidence at all that Frank has done anything they accuse him of doing.
He may have done it all and more, it’s just massively stupid to have such a strong opinion about something you know nothing about.

He supported his players not playing a game. That isn't an accusation. That is reality. That is inexcusable for the Head Football Coach at USU.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
ImakeitrainPIGSKINAGGIE

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 19th, 2020, 10:03 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 9:52 am
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
The difference is that we have a factual statement, whereas we have nothing but conjecture and shadowy statements regarding the University president. If you can't see the difference, then I'm sorry for you.

“As disheartened as I am to learn that this kind of religious and cultural bias exists (because I am Polynesian) at Utah State University, I am equally heart-broken for my players – many of whom are seniors who were preparing for the last game of their collegiate experience. I want to express my upmost respect and admiration for their decision to stand up for what they believe in — and I’m truly honored that they would stand up for me.
No difference. I said the PLAYERS. Not we, the players. The players aren't working from conjecture, they heard it straight from her mouth. Took her words and assumed the worst. You took Maile's words, assumed the worst.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 19th, 2020, 10:57 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

There is plenty of reason to be suspicious.

And the lack of evidence is due to a lack of transparency on Frank’s end.

It’s massively stupid to lay out generic allegations without anything that can be tested to be either true or false.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 19th, 2020, 10:58 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 10:03 am
Sl7vk wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

No difference. I said the PLAYERS. Not we, the players. The players aren't working from conjecture, they heard it straight from her mouth. Took her words and assumed the worst. You took Maile's words, assumed the worst.
How many players heard it directly? That isn’t clear either. First it was the entire team, then it was the leadership council and now it’s 50 players.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 19th, 2020, 11:10 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 8:04 am
Do the guys who are bashing Frank realize how bad your making the fan base look? Your feeding the stereotype beast that plagues Logan to the outside world. Not a good look for people not from cache valley or even Utah this thread needs to die or get moved to the sandbox, along with a couple other topics in the football fourm.
Are we only allowed to bash Hartwell and Cockett?

I guess we can only be jock sniffers and believe everything Frank says even when it isn’t consistent on what has been reported from outlets friendlier to him. (He claims it’s because he is Polynesian- whereas that isn’t what the outlets report)

He could have prevented this a week ago.

Instead he decided to make it as difficult as possible for the adjustment of a guy who came here specifically for a change of pace due to the extreme emotional difficulty resulting from an unimaginable tragedy.

But everyone who was happy to bash cockett or Hartwell without all the facts - people that were happy to make it as difficult as possible for a Anderson to coach all of a sudden want to act as if it’s wrong to criticize people?
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiPIGSKINAGGIE

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 19th, 2020, 11:27 am

I’ve seen very few bash Hartwell. Imo the entire mess is his fault. This is the second time he’s botched the hiring process.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 19th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

It’s massively stupid to lay out generic allegations without anything that can be tested to be either true or false.
Has Frank made allegations? Must’ve missed that imaginary occurrence.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 19th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:

I guess we can only be jock sniffers and believe everything Frank says even when it isn’t consistent on what has been reported from outlets friendlier to him. (He claims it’s because he is Polynesian- whereas that isn’t what the outlets report)

Instead he decided to make it as difficult as possible for the adjustment of a guy who came here specifically for a change of pace due to the extreme emotional difficulty resulting from an unimaginable tragedy.

But everyone who was happy to bash cockett or Hartwell without all the facts - people that were happy to make it as difficult as possible for a Anderson to coach all of a sudden want to act as if it’s wrong to criticize people?
I can’t speak for JFW, but I have absolutely commented my disagreement with anyone who is bashing Hartwell and Cockett for anything that they’re not sure of. If you don’t know what happened it’s not fair to make character judgements on anyone involved.

ususports

Post by ususports » December 19th, 2020, 2:00 pm

TrueAG wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 12:33 am
I just wanna know if Reeder got any
If he had Covid, he would have been quarantined with his wife for 14 days (and nights) with not much else to do, so I am thinking it is highly likely.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
brownjeans

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 19th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 11:27 am
I’ve seen very few bash Hartwell. Imo the entire mess is his fault. This is the second time he’s botched the hiring process.
I was told more times than I can count that us fans should all just sit back, shut up, and let Hartwell do his job because he hired Craig Smith and Neal Brown and was incapable of making a mistake.

:sarcasm:

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 19th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
What did Hartwell do wrong? It looks like he got a good hire putting together a strong staff.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 19th, 2020, 3:55 pm

TrueAG wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 3:48 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
What did Hartwell do wrong? It looks like he got a good hire putting together a strong staff.
Nothing. IMHO the only thing he did wrong was letting Maile think he was a viable candidate.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 19th, 2020, 4:11 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 1:53 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:

I can’t speak for JFW, but I have absolutely commented my disagreement with anyone who is bashing Hartwell and Cockett for anything that they’re not sure of. If you don’t know what happened it’s not fair to make character judgements on anyone involved.

Which is fine but for maile and those protesting being the reason people don’t know.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 19th, 2020, 4:13 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 1:51 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

Has Frank made allegations? Must’ve missed that imaginary occurrence.

His statement alleges that it was religious and cultural bias. To be noted: that the allegations reported in other media friendly to him only allege religious bias.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 19th, 2020, 4:18 pm

TrueAG wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 3:48 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
I agree it appears we got a good hire but the process is what he botched for the second time. He was not honest or up front with the candidates especially the interim head coach. If Hartwell would have let Maile know right after he decided to hire BA then this would have went more smoothly the meeting wouldn’t have blown up or even happened and we would have played our last game. Instead Frank finds out from other sources that reached out to him days later. Maile knew he was not the leading candidate for the job and was planning on finishing the season regardless of the outcome of the hire. Very unprofessional towards someone who has bailed you out twice. Same thing pretty much happened when GA was rehired.

I also think this is why some other candidates like Jay Hill etc... weren’t interested or serious candidates.
Last edited by Elkaggie on December 19th, 2020, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 19th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 10:58 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 10:03 am
Sl7vk wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

How many players heard it directly? That isn’t clear either. First it was the entire team, then it was the leadership council and now it’s 50 players.
Does the number matter in this context?
Let's say only one player took Cockett's words and assumed the worst.
Then you take Maile's words and assume the worst.

Is your taking Maile's words and assuming the worst different than the player taking Cockett's words and assuming the worst because the player count was only one?

I don't see how the two relate - but maybe you weren't connecting the two and were just commenting on another thing the public doesn't now much about.

Locked Previous topicNext topic